PDA

View Full Version : Gathering 2008?

oneupper
04-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Is there going to be a RZ 2008 gathering?

Frankly, I had a great time last year, met some really fine people, drank large quantities of beer and saw David Ross hit home runs (which he seems to do when I'm in attendance).

Are we going to do it again this year? Creek...are you up to it?

RichRed
04-04-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm glad you posted this, oneupper. My brother and I had a great time too, and we were just talking about how we hope we can do it again this year.

BRM
04-04-2008, 09:50 AM
I'd attend as long as you don't invite that loser WilyMoRocks.

SunDeck
04-04-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm up for it- Mid to late June works best. Wasn't that about when we did it last year?

HumnHilghtFreel
04-04-2008, 12:37 PM
I'd love to make one of these one of these days. Mid to late June would be good since I'd be off for summer semester

KittyDuran
04-04-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm up for it- Mid to late June works best. Wasn't that about when we did it last year?The Reds only have one full weekend series in June and that's the Boston series (which is premium price and probably won't get good seats). How about July (3 weekend series - Nats, Mets and Rocks) or August (3 weekend series - Astros, Cards and Giants)?

SunDeck
04-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Saturday or Sunday, June 14/15 against the Bosox? Both are day games. Can't we get cheap seats, even, Kitty?

KittyDuran
04-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Is there going to be a RZ 2008 gathering?

Frankly, I had a great time last year, met some really fine people, drank large quantities of beer and saw David Ross hit home runs (which he seems to do when I'm in attendance).

Are we going to do it again this year? Creek...are you up to it?Actually me and Chip discussed this at the pre-OD BP on Sunday - the out-of-town folks probably need to set the date(s) and us local yokels can work around it.

KittyDuran
04-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Saturday or Sunday, June 14/15 against the Bosox? Both are day games. Can't we get cheap seats, even, Kitty?Welllll... if you go onto the Reds website and click on the ticket icon for all three BoSox games they only give you two options - purchasing a 4 game pack or full season ticket package...:(

OldRightHander
04-04-2008, 12:56 PM
As much fun as it would be to go to one of the "premium" games, I think any weekend where we could get a group of decent seats would be good. A lot does depend on the out of towners. As long as we pick the date well enough in advance, I can make sure that I get a load back into town for that weekend.

Cyclone792
04-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Saturday or Sunday, June 14/15 against the Bosox? Both are day games. Can't we get cheap seats, even, Kitty?

There won't be any cheap seats for that series. And there probably won't even be many seats available for that series.

The Reds sent me a letter in the mail last week giving me an opportunity from April 2nd to April 9th to buy two seats to each of the three games that weekend. That's pretty much my only chance to get anymore seats for that series (I already have Friday seats due to season tix package).

RichRed
04-04-2008, 01:03 PM
As much fun as it would be to go to one of the "premium" games, I think any weekend where we could get a group of decent seats would be good.

I agree with this. As much as I'd love to see the Reds play the Red Sox, some of us will be flying in, getting a hotel, etc., so tickets that are as budget-friendly as possible would be preferable.

RichRed
04-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Looking at the schedule, July 25-27 against the Rockies would be the first choice for CWRed and me.

Johnny Footstool
04-04-2008, 02:15 PM

I was tentatively planning on coming up for that weekend (my birthday in June 13).

SunDeck
04-04-2008, 02:30 PM
There won't be any cheap seats for that series. And there probably won't even be many seats available for that series.

The Reds sent me a letter in the mail last week giving me an opportunity from April 2nd to April 9th to buy two seats to each of the three games that weekend. That's pretty much my only chance to get anymore seats for that series (I already have Friday seats due to season tix package).

Okay- that makes it seem like it would be tough to swing. If that won't work, I won't be back in town until mid July.

SunDeck
04-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Oh yeah, and I also don't really care who they play or where the seats are. We will be annoying no matter where we sit.

Johnny Footstool
04-04-2008, 03:32 PM
If June is out, I vote for May 30-31 vs. the Braves.

Also, can we post a link to this thread on the baseball forums?

Super_Barry11
04-04-2008, 06:27 PM
I'll be in Cincinnati in July for Barry Larkin's induction weekend, so let me know if anyone wants to get together. (It's my late birthday present! I'm so excited!) :D

Cyclone792
04-05-2008, 12:42 AM
I'll be in Cincinnati in July for Barry Larkin's induction weekend, so let me know if anyone wants to get together. (It's my late birthday present! I'm so excited!) :D

I'm not missing that game either, SB. Is it July 19th? If so, my season ticket package includes that game. :D

oneupper
04-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Last year it worked this way. Creek was organizer/dictator and laid down the law.
She set the dates, meeting place/time for drinks, got a block of seats and collected the money from those who wanted them.
If you could make it...welcome...if not...well, the REDS play every year.

My feeling is that there can be no democracy in these things or it doesn't get done.

So, if not Creek (who I really hope is ok)...we'd need a volunteer to become RZ Gathering 2008 Overlord.

How about it? Anyone? ...Bueller?

savafan
04-05-2008, 12:28 PM
I'd love to do one of these again. My weekends are booked with rehearsals and shows though from July through October, but I'm good through June.

Unassisted
04-05-2008, 12:30 PM
I have a United Airlines round-trip voucher that I need to use before fall. This might be just the occasion to do it.

OldRightHander
04-05-2008, 12:50 PM
I have a United Airlines round-trip voucher that I need to use before fall. This might be just the occasion to do it.

Just gas up and hit the road. It's not that far. I've done that run quite a bit in the last few months. You get to see all kinds of scenic places along the way. How could you pass up on the opportunity to pass through Arkansas, Tennessee, and Kentucky on one trip. That's redneck central right there. It doesn't get any better than that.

Unassisted
04-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Just gas up and hit the road. It's not that far. I've done that run quite a bit in the last few months. You get to see all kinds of scenic places along the way. How could you pass up on the opportunity to pass through Arkansas, Tennessee, and Kentucky on one trip. That's redneck central right there. It doesn't get any better than that.I like to drive, so it's more tempting than you'd probably guess. :)

Mrs. U has informed me that if I drove it I'd be making that 20-hour drive by myself. Plus, it'd probably cost me at least $200 for gas for the round trip.

savafan
04-06-2008, 12:57 AM
Plus, it'd probably cost me at least $200 for gas for the round trip.

You might want to double that.

Unassisted
04-06-2008, 01:35 AM
You might want to double that.I guess you're right.

My car gets about 20 miles to the gallon and has a range of about 360. Google Maps says it's about 1350 miles to drive from my zip code to my parents' zip code. 2700 miles/360 miles is 7.7 fillups. The most I've spent to fill it is $55, which is almost certainly low for the trip, since gas here is always cheaper than it is there. $55 x 7.7 = $423.50. That's a lot of $$$ for a trip I don't have to make.

Screwball
04-06-2008, 03:53 AM
Last year it worked this way. Creek was organizer/dictator and laid down the law.
She set the dates, meeting place/time for drinks, got a block of seats and collected the money from those who wanted them.
If you could make it...welcome...if not...well, the REDS play every year.

My feeling is that there can be no democracy in these things or it doesn't get done.

So, if not Creek (who I really hope is ok)...we'd need a volunteer to become RZ Gathering 2008 Overlord.

How about it? Anyone? ...Bueller?

Very true. Somebody needs to do the legwork and make some final decisions. If nobody can/will, I'll try and help out.

GAC
04-06-2008, 04:02 AM
Whatever date you people decide on I'll be there, unless it's the first week of July. We'll be gone on vacation. But somebody has to babysit you out-of-towners.

But you're going to have to find someone locally, other then creek, to be the point person. I don't think she's been on the forum for ages.

I personally nominate Chip or Kitty. Or maybe both together. ;)

OldRightHander
04-06-2008, 06:00 PM
I guess you're right.

My car gets about 20 miles to the gallon and has a range of about 360. Google Maps says it's about 1350 miles to drive from my zip code to my parents' zip code. 2700 miles/360 miles is 7.7 fillups. The most I've spent to fill it is $55, which is almost certainly low for the trip, since gas here is always cheaper than it is there. $55 x 7.7 = $423.50. That's a lot of $$$ for a trip I don't have to make.

My van gets about 20 mpg but I'm also running diesel which costs more. It's not a cheap run, but if you consider that when I run from San Antonio to Ohio I'm usually making $1500 gross for the trip, it's not so bad. And it really is a nice drive. Arkansas and Tennessee can be quite scenic at the right time of year. These days though, if you're not getting paid to make the drive, flying might be cheaper.

Joseph
04-07-2008, 07:28 PM
I might be able to make one this year.

Chip R
04-07-2008, 07:29 PM
I might be able to make one this year.

I'm sure we'll have fun anyway. :p:

Joseph
04-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Not if the wife has anything to say about it!

Kidding dear, in case you ever read this board. Seriously, you're a gem.

That should cover me.

wheels
04-18-2008, 06:08 PM
You guys know I'll be there unless something drastic happens.

Chip R
04-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Looking at the schedule, July 25-27 against the Rockies would be the first choice for CWRed and me.

If everybody is copacetic with this weekend, I can attempt to fill creek's very large shoes. If it's another weekend, I'd have to see.

OldRightHander
04-25-2008, 10:21 AM
If everybody is copacetic with this weekend, I can attempt to fill creek's very large shoes. If it's another weekend, I'd have to see.

Whatever weekend is picked, I'll just make sure I'm in town. That one would probably be good.

oneupper
04-25-2008, 11:21 AM

Lets do it!

Heath
04-30-2008, 07:09 AM
Have a good time, y'all - I'm in MWM land.

(No, man, I'm not showing up at your door. Just hanging out near Red Wing that weekend. You don't have to hide the women and children.)

OesterPoster
05-06-2008, 12:58 PM

The Rockies? Admit it, you guys just want to watch Manos de Oro. :D

GAC
05-13-2008, 08:11 PM
You guys know I'll be there unless something drastic happens.

I'll be there, so count on it. ;)

KittyDuran
05-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Looking at the schedule, July 25-27 against the Rockies would be the first choice for CWRed and me.I have now secured 8 maybe 10 tickets to exchange for the 7/25 (Friday) game. There might be more to come - but it's getting there. :)

KittyDuran
05-20-2008, 10:06 PM
BTW, for the Saturday game (7/26) the Reds are handing out a 1980s themed Dunn bobblehead... shades of Miami Vice! :eek:

KronoRed
05-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Looks like Letterman

GAC
05-21-2008, 08:04 PM
"Who stole me Lucky Charms!"

RichRed
05-22-2008, 10:41 PM
BTW, for the Saturday game (7/26) the Reds are handing out a 1980s themed Dunn bobblehead... shades of Miami Vice! :eek:

That makes NO sense.

I love it!

oneupper
05-23-2008, 01:12 PM
I started this thread. Now, I probably won't be able to make it this year due to recent health issues.

GAC - please be the best host you can and everyone raise a couple for oneupper and the REDS!

Hope to see all in 2009. :)

GAC
05-23-2008, 09:36 PM
I started this thread. Now, I probably won't be able to make it this year due to recent health issues.

GAC - please be the best host you can and everyone raise a couple for oneupper and the REDS!

You're in my prayers upper. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Johnny Footstool
05-27-2008, 09:46 AM

Take care of yourself, oneupper!

Ghosts of 1990
05-27-2008, 10:30 AM
I would like to do this.

OldRightHander
05-27-2008, 11:31 AM
I would like to do this.

You'll enjoy it. Most of these folks aren't as scary in person, but some are scarier.

Chip R
05-27-2008, 11:38 AM
I would like to do this.

New person has to buy all the tickets. ;)

wheels
05-29-2008, 02:36 PM
You'll enjoy it. Most of these folks aren't as scary in person, but some are scarier.

Just what are you implying, sir?

OldRightHander
05-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Just what are you implying, sir?

I chose not to name any names...to protect the guilty.

NJReds
06-06-2008, 11:09 AM
I won't be in town for the Rockies series, but I'll coming for the Mets series during the Reds Hall of Fame weekend.

Super_Barry11
06-09-2008, 02:26 AM
I won't be in town for the Rockies series, but I'll coming for the Mets series during the Reds Hall of Fame weekend.

Same here!! I can't wait!!! :D:D:D

RichRed
06-09-2008, 01:18 PM
So is this thing actually going to happen? If so, I need to get on the ball and find some plane tickets.

MaineRed
06-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Looking forward to it guys.

KittyDuran
06-26-2008, 08:46 AM
I just turned in 13 unused tickets for exchange for the Friday, July 25 game. They will be in the View Level.

Now, I've already purchased a ticket for the Saturday game in Section 520 ($13.75). I'm going to call Tickets.com and see if they have a block of tickets available for that game (cheap) either in the View Level or out in the Moon Deck.

I'll keep everyone posted.

:)

KittyDuran
07-09-2008, 01:35 PM
I just turned in 13 unused tickets for exchange for the Friday, July 25 game. They will be in the View Level.

Now, I've already purchased a ticket for the Saturday game in Section 520 ($13.75). I'm going to call Tickets.com and see if they have a block of tickets available for that game (cheap) either in the View Level or out in the Moon Deck.

I'll keep everyone posted.

:):(Well, I couldn't turn in my Power Pack unused tickets (not part of the exchange). So I have 9 free tickets for Friday night instead of 13. I did find another unused ticket and will try to get it exchanged for a seat right next to the others. Now comes the odd part - they (the Reds) gave me tickets in Section 111 which are field level not view level. Anyhoo, I'm not complaining other than we'll be in the sun for a while. So it's Section 111, Row AA, Seats 10-18.:thumbup:

BTW, Chip and I discussed Saturday night at the game in Cleveland about 7/26...Saturday night's game. We decided that we'll ask at the game on Friday night who wants to attend Saturday and I'll just go and get the tickets, get payment, then hand them out. But we're open to suggestions. :)

GAC
07-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Sorry guys. As much as was looking forward to it, I will not be able to attend the gathering this year. We've had to make some adjustments in our plans with the upcoming school year approaching, and my daughter Rachel and I have to make the trip down to scout out Hocking Hills college.

I was trying to work around it; but with few weekends left between now and mid-August, and it looks like I am going to have to work a couple of those weekends, we have to make this trip down to the school prior to school starting.

KittyDuran
07-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Hmmm... should we put the Gathering on hold for next year? :confused:

Like I mentioned before, I've only received tickets for Friday nights game - Saturday was TBD. If we shelve the get-together - then I'll open up offers on the rest of the free tickets for Friday. The plus side is that the tickets are FREE, the downside is that you have to sit with me and Chip...:D

OldRightHander
07-13-2008, 12:23 PM
The plus side is that the tickets are FREE, the downside is that you have to sit with me and Chip...:D

That could be a real deal breaker.

KittyDuran
07-13-2008, 12:25 PM
That could be a real deal breaker.:bash:;)

camisadelgolf
07-13-2008, 01:11 PM
I'll buy someone a ticket to a Reds game if he/she pays for my flight to the States and back to Germany. I'll buy a beer, a hot dog, and Skyline, too. And I'll bring German chocolate? Geez, I miss Reds games so much. I really wish I could go.

KittyDuran
07-13-2008, 02:33 PM
I'll buy someone a ticket to a Reds game if he/she pays for my flight to the States and back to Germany. I'll buy a beer, a hot dog, and Skyline, too. And I'll bring German chocolate? Geez, I miss Reds games so much. I really wish I could go.Why don't you just mail the German chocolate and I'll call it a deal! :D

camisadelgolf
07-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Why don't you just mail the German chocolate and I'll call it a deal! :D

No problem--I'll buy the chocolate, you buy the shipping and handling.

Chip R
07-20-2008, 08:53 AM
Roll call. Who's coming?

KittyDuran
07-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Roll call. Who's coming?Well, you know I'll be there... :)

KittyDuran
07-20-2008, 09:21 AM
I got some extra ticket envelopes (for will call) in case there isn't any interest - so the free tickets (7) won't go to waste.

Chip R
07-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Well, you know I'll be there... :)

It could be like 2 years ago when we were the only ones to show up. :(

OldRightHander
07-21-2008, 07:48 AM
It could be like 2 years ago when we were the only ones to show up. :(

I was there too, sitting by myself. Anyway, I'll be there if I'm in town. I'll try to get a load back to Cincy by the end of the week. I'll post here either way.

BEETTLEBUG
07-21-2008, 08:04 AM
What game are we looking at I have not been following closely.

KittyDuran
07-21-2008, 08:52 AM
What game are we looking at I have not been following closely.For right now, I have 7 free tickets for Friday, July 25th game.

Chip R
07-21-2008, 09:19 AM
For right now, I have 7 free tickets for Friday, July 25th game.

Plus it's David Letterman I mean, Adam Dunn 1980s bobblehead night. So not only do you get the pleasure of Kitty's and my company, a free ticket but you get a bobblehead too. How can you beat that?

KittyDuran
07-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Plus it's David Letterman I mean, Adam Dunn 1980s bobblehead night. So not only do you get the pleasure of Kitty's and my company, a free ticket but you get a bobblehead too. How can you beat that?No, Chip... the bobblehead is on Saturday night (and everyone is on there own)... :)There was a better pic of the bobblehead at the ballpark and Adam is sporting some serious "bling" as in a #44 necklace.

Chip R
07-21-2008, 09:58 AM
No, Chip... the bobblehead is on Saturday night (and everyone is on there own)... :)There was a better pic of the bobblehead at the ballpark and Adam is sporting some serious "bling" as in a #44 necklace.

Oops. I guess I can't blame heat stroke from the game yesterday since I was sitting in Club 4192 all game. :D

KittyDuran
07-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Oops. I guess I can't blame heat stroke from the game yesterday since I was sitting in Club 4192 all game. :DYeah, sure... you were cool all right...but still a WUSS!;)

Chip R
07-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Yeah, sure... you were cool all right...but still a WUSS!;)

Takes one to know one. :p:

See, folks, this kind of witty repartee is just a bonus of what you'll get when you come to a RZ outing.

KittyDuran
07-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Takes one to know one. :p:

See, folks, this kind of witty repartee is just a bonus of what you'll get when you come to a RZ outing.I'll even buy everyone some M&Ms! :D

Unassisted
07-21-2008, 12:36 PM
It turns out I'll be in Pittsburgh this week and attending the Pirates/Pads game on Friday. It's Al Bumbry bobblehead night there.

Chip R
07-21-2008, 01:17 PM
It turns out I'll be in Pittsburgh this week and attending the Pirates/Pads game on Friday. It's Al Bumbry bobblehead night there.

Lucky!

http://www.manonfire.cc/images/napoleon.jpg

KittyDuran
07-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Hmmm... not getting too many responses. I'll wait until tomorrow night, then I'll open up offers on the remaining tickets for Friday.

RichRed
07-22-2008, 08:14 AM
I won't be able to make it. I've already booked a trip to San Diego in August and unfortunately, I can't do that and Cincinnati too. Have fun and I hope to see you all next year!

KittyDuran
07-22-2008, 08:36 AM
OK... I'll go out on a limb and say that the Gathering is off for 2008. Sooooo...
IF you are interested in going to the game Friday night (7/25) and would like free tickets send me a PM with total of tickets wanted and your real (full) name by Wednesday night.

Iíll go down to the ballpark Thursday at lunch and deliver the tickets to Will Call.

There are 7 tickets available.

Unassisted
07-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Turned out the bobblehead I got in Pittsburgh was Al Oliver, instead of Al Bumbry. Same era, wrong Al. :doh:

Looks like I got to see a better game than folks in Cincinnati did last night. Pirates lost 6-5 after blowing a bases loaded/0 outs chance in the 8th and running into the buzzsaw that is Trevor Hoffman in the 9th.

KittyDuran
07-26-2008, 04:13 PM
The free tickets for last night's game were pretty good. Didn't get hardly any sun.

Going tonight... got a ticket for Chip but he might not want to sit with me. It's an 80's weekend at GABP - so I decided to dress up (the best that I can) as an 1980's era Durannie - complete with Simon t-shirt (1985) and buttons on the straw fedora and shirt. White sunglasses and some over-the-top makeup complete the look.

Wish me luck! I might win a prize! :thumbup:

Chip R
07-26-2008, 05:39 PM
The free tickets for last night's game were pretty good. Didn't get hardly any sun.

Going tonight... got a ticket for Chip but he might not want to sit with me. It's an 80's weekend at GABP - so I decided to dress up (the best that I can) as an 1980's era Durannie - complete with Simon t-shirt (1985) and buttons on the straw fedora and shirt. White sunglasses and some over-the-top makeup complete the look.

Wish me luck! I might win a prize! :thumbup:

:scared:

KittyDuran
07-27-2008, 12:01 AM

Wish me luck! I might win a prize! :thumbup:Well, shoot they didn't give out any prizes tonight. Chip took a pic of me - so maybe he'll download it into this thread.