PDA

View Full Version : Hanging out in Dallas

OldRightHander
04-04-2008, 12:24 PM
I've spent quite a bit of time in Dallas over the last few months, but I'm still not a local. Anyway, if I don't get a load out of here today, I might be here for the weekend. Any zoners around here who could give me some pointers? Hanging out at the Flying J all the time gets old, so any suggestions are welcome. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I'd be in the market for finding a nice inexpensive place to eat, or a good park where I could walk a bit, etc. I usually get a meal at Texas Land and Cattle when I'm out here, but I'm open for any other suggestions. Of course it's my dumb luck that whenever I come through a city during baseball season, the team is out of town, so going to a Rangers game is out of the question.

macro
04-04-2008, 12:46 PM
I have always wanted to visit Dealy Plaza and the Texas Schoolbook Depository, step on the white "X" on the road where the assassination occurred, and stand on the grassy knoll. I'd also like to take a tour of Texas Stadium before it's torn down.

Blimpie
04-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Suprisingly, very little has changed in Dealy Plaza during the last four decades. Other than some trees being removed, nearly everything that you saw in the Zapruder film remains intact.

I highly recommend taking the tour in the museum and spring for the headset so that you can have your own personal walking tour "narrated."

Boston Red
04-04-2008, 01:20 PM
What's the name of the place where they cut your tie off if you wear one in? That place has a decent atmosphere, pretty good food, and is relatively cheap.

Yachtzee
04-04-2008, 01:32 PM
What's the name of the place where they cut your tie off if you wear one in? That place has a decent atmosphere, pretty good food, and is relatively cheap.

Mickey Gilley's?

OldRightHander
04-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Mickey Gilley's?

I think that's it. Interesting place. I've walked around Dealy before as well. Anyway, moot point since I just found a load going to Houston, so I guess I'll be in Houston instead of Dallas for the weekend. Houston is too darn big, but there are a couple areas there that I like to hang out. I'll probably grab the swimwear and head to Galveston if it's warm enough, which it usually is around there.

bucksfan
04-04-2008, 01:41 PM
"Oh sweet mama, your daddy's got them Deep Ellum blues...."

(sorry, that's all I "know" about that area! :) )

macro
04-04-2008, 02:42 PM
IAnyway, moot point since I just found a load going to Houston, so I guess I'll be in Houston instead of Dallas for the weekend.

You truckers move around too much. :D

Sea Ray
04-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Diamond's Cabaret Strip Club in Dallas has gotten a lot of press recently but as of yet authorities have been unable to shut it down. Go while you still can and give us a full report! Let us know if you think any of the "dancers" are minors...

Unassisted
04-05-2008, 01:27 PM
I'll probably grab the swimwear and head to Galveston if it's warm enough, which it usually is around there.
I was in Galveston with the family 2 weeks ago for spring break. It's a great place to kill time.

There were rip tides and jellyfish while we were there, so going in the water was only for the hardy souls with wetsuits and surfboards. Of course the rip tides cleared up just as we were ready to leave.

I recommend the burgers at The Spot (http://www.thespotgalveston.com/). It has free wifi. Also, Mario's Ristorante (http://www.galveston.com/mariosristorante/) has a great lunch buffet.

pedro
04-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Dallas is one of my least favorite places I've ever been.