PDA

View Full Version : Question For The Official Scorers

Hap
04-05-2008, 05:50 PM
If and only if Jimmy Rollins had made the correct play and thrown to home, would Bako have been credited with a fielder's choice? Certainly yes if Freel had been out. But if the throw had gone home and Freel slid in safely, do you credit Bako with a single or a fielder's choice?

Chip R
04-05-2008, 05:59 PM
If and only if Jimmy Rollins had made the correct play and thrown to home, would Bako have been credited with a fielder's choice? Certainly yes if Freel had been out. But if the throw had gone home and Freel slid in safely, do you credit Bako with a single or a fielder's choice?

Fielder's choice, I believe.

redsfaninbsg
04-05-2008, 06:01 PM
FC

BCubb2003
04-05-2008, 06:12 PM
The batter can't be said to be credited with a fielder's choice, since it's treated as an out for his stats. Debited with a fielder's choice?

oneupper
04-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Bako owes Rollins a beer.

Big Klu
04-05-2008, 07:14 PM
If the throw goes home and Freel is safe with the winning run, I would give Bako an infield single.

PuffyPig
04-05-2008, 07:58 PM
It all depends on whether or not the official scorer thought that Bako would have beaten thethrough to first.

Whether or not Rollins threw home or not is irrelevant, though the throw to first answered the question of whether or not Bako would have beaten the throw to first.

max venable
04-05-2008, 08:39 PM
It all depends on whether or not the official scorer thought that Bako would have beaten thethrough to first.

Whether or not Rollins threw home or not is irrelevant, though the throw to first answered the question of whether or not Bako would have beaten the throw to first.

this would be my answer as well.

RedFanAlways1966
04-05-2008, 08:56 PM
But if the throw had gone home and Freel slid in safely, do you credit Bako with a single or a fielder's choice?

It is a judgment call for the Official Scorer.

Rule 10.05 (f) When a fielder unsuccessfully attempts to put out a preceding runner, and in the scorer's judgment the batter runner would not have been put out at first base by ordinary effort.

BASEBALL ALMANAC includes the following to this rule:
NOTE: In applying the above rule, always give the batter the benefit of the doubt. A safe course to follow is to score a hit when exceptionally good fielding of a ball fails to result in a putout.

Screwball
04-06-2008, 10:24 PM
I have a question too. Let's say there's a fly ball down the right field line. It looks as if it's going to land fair, but as the fielder tries to catch it he bobbles it and the balls drops into foul territory. Is that considered a fair or a foul ball? And is it the same ruling if it's going to land foul but the fielder bobbles it and it lands fair?

PuffyPig
04-06-2008, 10:27 PM
I have a question too. Let's say there's a fly ball down the right field line. It looks as if it's going to land fair, but as the fielder tries to catch it he bobbles it and the balls drops into foul territory. Is that considered a fair or a foul ball? And is it the same ruling if it's going to land foul but the fielder bobbles it and it lands fair?

If the fielder foot is in fair territory when he touches it, it's fair ball. I don't think it matters where it lands.

camisadelgolf
04-06-2008, 10:28 PM

If the ball were going to be fair, then it's fair. If the ball were going foul regardless of the bobble, it would be ruled foul, but the fielder can be charged with an error.

RedFanAlways1966
04-06-2008, 10:30 PM

Umpires judgment as to where he thinks the ball was when touched. Where the fielder is standing is not figured into the ruling.

Rule 2.00

A foul fly shall be judged according to the relative position of the ball and the foul line, including the foul pole, and not as to whether the infielder is on foul or fair territory at the time he touches the ball.

Sea Ray
04-06-2008, 11:42 PM
I'm surprised he didn't throw home. He probably wouldn't have gotten Freel but if the catcher blocks the plate and his throw is pin point he might have a chance