PDA

View Full Version : Expectations for Volquez Sunday

reds44
04-05-2008, 07:28 PM
I'll be happy with a QS and a handfull of K's.

Your thoughts?

WMR
04-05-2008, 07:29 PM
11 Ks.

Can't let the little man get one over on him. ;)

KronoRed
04-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Perfect game, anything else would be a disappointment.

sonny
04-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Quality start and under 2 walks.

OnBaseMachine
04-05-2008, 09:52 PM
I don't think he'll dominate because the Phillies have seen him two or three times in the last few weeks but I do think he'll be solid.

My prediction: 6.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 5 K

dougdirt
04-05-2008, 09:54 PM
I will take any results outside of an injury that he gets a W in the game for.

OnBaseMachine
04-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Volquez to make anticipated debut
Cincinnati (3-2) vs. Philadelphia (2-3), Sunday, 1:15 p.m. ET
By Jeff Wallner / Special to MLB.com

No pressure.

With the town still buzzing over 22-year-old Johnny Cueto's breakout big-league debut Thursday, it's time for Edinson Volquez to introduce himself to Reds fans.

Volquez, who was obtained in December with left-hander Danny Herrera from Texas in exchange for outfielder Josh Hamilton, will make his Reds debut Sunday afternoon against the Phillies at Great American Ball Park. He'll be opposed by Phillies right-hander Brett Myers. First pitch is set for 1:15 p.m. ET.

Volquez, a 24-year-old right-hander, was named Texas' Minor League Pitcher of the Year after going 14-6 with a 3.97 ERA in 26 starts last year. He limited opposing hitters to a .190 average.

In Spring Training, Volquez was equally impressive, going 2-0 with a 2.67 ERA in six appearances. In 20 innings, he struck out 26 and walked only four.

"I think it's one of the best Spring Trainings I've ever had," Volquez said.

Volquez's first start is eagerly anticipated, especially after Cueto allowed just one hit in seven innings Thursday, walking none with 10 strikeouts.

Volquez said he'd like to match Cueto's performance.

"Hopefully," Volquez said smiling. "To see a young guy like [Cueto] do that is pretty exciting. We are teammates."

Reds manager Dusty Baker chose to separate Volquez and Cueto in the rotation because the two have similar styles. Baker inserted soft-throwing Josh Fogg between the two flamethrowers to give different looks for the opposition. Baker also wanted to prevent unhealthy competition between the two.

"It helps a lot to have some friendly competition," Baker said. "I don't want them to try to outthrow the other. I'm impressed with [Volquez's] demeanor and attitude toward pitching. They're similar in age, same stuff. They're both talented. They push each other. They act like they've been here before."

Volquez in fact has, going 3-11 with a 7.20 ERA in 20 Major League appearances. Last season, he improved to 2-1 with a 4.50 ERA in six starts.

When the Rangers first approached the Reds regarding a trade for Hamilton, Reds GM Wayne Krivsky insisted Volquez be included in the deal. Texas obliged, giving the Reds another highly-regarded young pitcher to insert into their starting rotation.

The Reds and Phillies conclude their four-game series Monday afternoon at Great American Ball Park with a 12:35 p.m. ET first pitch.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080405&content_id=2495892&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Joseph
04-05-2008, 10:16 PM
My guess....

6.2 IP, 5H, 7K, 2BB, 2ER and a no decision.

pedro
04-05-2008, 10:42 PM
7 Ip, 9h, 8k 3bb , 4er

Blitz Dorsey
04-05-2008, 10:45 PM
6 Ip, 5 h, 8 k, 4 bb, 3 er

fearofpopvol1
04-05-2008, 10:50 PM
6ip, 5h, 7k, 2bb, 3er -- QS

top6
04-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Given that the Phillies have faced him and are much better than the Diamondbacks, there's not that much of a chance he pulls a Cueto. He could struggle. If he can give them a QS, that would be pretty impressive.

Reds1
04-05-2008, 11:24 PM
I don't think he'll dominate because the Phillies have seen him two or three times in the last few weeks but I do think he'll be solid.

My prediction: 6.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 5 K

Close, but I say he gets though 7 with 5 hits one 2 ER and 6 Ks. Agree with 2 walks.

redsrule2500
04-05-2008, 11:47 PM
my expectations are low....but my dreams are high! lol cheesy ftw

WVRedsFan
04-05-2008, 11:52 PM
When you're dealing with yougsters, it is best to not expect too much from them. Cueto's performance was simply fabulous--more than any of us could have hoped for, but he may get blown away in his next start or he may do it again. Such is the nature of youth.

That said, if he gets through 6 innings, allowing 7 hits and 3 runs with 7 K's, I'll say it was a successful start. If he does better than that, I'll say it was another fabulous start. The Phillies have a lot of weapons and I don't expect miracles. I hope he doesn't fall on his face because expectations are so high and he needs the confidence.

Only Fogg has really disappointed me (even Bronson's start wasn't that bad), so another good start will give us hope that we're not just observing another losing season.

BCubb2003
04-06-2008, 12:00 AM
It's amazing how we modestly expect our rookie "fifth" starter to merely pitch as well as or better than Harang has. What a difference in 2008.

reds44
04-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Volquez is kind of the 2nd starter now with the way the rotation lines up.

Harang
Volquez
Arroyo
Cueto
Fogg

is the order in which they pitch. That just goes to show you how little rotation order means starting the season. It's going to get flipped around a lot during the season.

Phhhl
04-06-2008, 12:07 AM
This is about as big a test as a young pitcher can get. The Phillies can rake, the best offense in the NL imho. On top of that, the Reds need a win in at least one of these next two facing a hot Brewers club early next week. Preferably both. The only advice I would give him is... don't get beat on that meatball slider. No more than 5 of those in the entire outting, and carefully chosen to mess with the minds of the best hitters in that lineup, hoping they woke up overanalyzing the situation.

In other words, observe uncle Mario...

Ga_Red
04-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Cueto set a debut record
for Ks as a Red
that will have lasted 3 days....

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2008, 12:27 AM
I think by the end of the season Edinson Volquez is going to be our best starting pitcher, though Johnny Cueto may have some say in that. He's already got two plus pitches in his 94-96 mph sinking fastball that can touch 97, along with that devastating changeup that drops off the table. As his curveball continues to improve throughout the season he could really become a force. Dick Pole is also teaching him a slider, so it will be interesting to see how that pitch progresses throughout the season. Maybe Johnny can give him a few pointers. I'm already on record as stating Volquez will strikeout 200+ batters this season and I'm sticking by that. :D

GAC
04-06-2008, 04:38 AM
Volquez hasn't pitched since he faced this Phillies team on March 25th, right? In that game he pitched 5 solid innings (5 hits, 1ER). Because his start (debut) was moved back, he stayed in Sarasota to pitch an extended spring training game Monday -- Volquez threw 7 2/3 innings, giving up no runs and two hits, walking none and striking out 13 with 93 pitches.

I'll say 5 2/3 innings, 6 hits, 3 BBs, 3 ERs, before Dusty pulls him.

WVRedsFan
04-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Volquez hasn't pitched since he faced this Phillies team on March 25th, right? In that game he pitched 5 solid innings (5 hits, 1ER). Because his start (debut) was moved back, he stayed in Sarasota to pitch an extended spring training game Monday -- Volquez threw 7 2/3 innings, giving up no runs and two hits, walking none and striking out 13 with 93 pitches.

That's realistic and probably about what will happen.

RedlegJake
04-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Actually, I'll be happy with a start that isn't an implosion for Volquez. Some command, a few Ks, the game not getting away from him. Just getting the first one out of the way in a decent fashion against a good lineup without trying to do too much. GAC's line would be okay by me.

top6
04-06-2008, 11:32 AM
My primary expectation is that, whatever happens, Reds fans (including this board and myself) will absoutely overreact. By the end of the day, he will either be Eric Milton Part 2, or we will be talking about him and Cueto as the next Koufax and Drysdale.

savafan
04-06-2008, 11:33 AM
I don't know, I'm just excited that my fiancee surprised me with tickets for the game!

Go Reds!

;)

jojo
04-06-2008, 11:34 AM
14 Ip, 0 H, 0 R, 32 K, 0 Bb.......

KronoRed
04-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Only 32k's?

dougdirt
04-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Heading down to the game right now..... hopefully I can see something awesome and the Reds pick up a win.

jojo
04-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Only 32k's?

I figured the Phillies would hit at least 10 grounders.....

jojo
04-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Heading down to the game right now..... hopefully I can see something awesome and the Reds pick up a win.

If you catch a foul ball, can I have it? :p:

Steve4192
04-06-2008, 12:16 PM
I expect him to pitch a perfect game, strike out 21 guys, and hit for the cycle at the plate.

I like to keep my expectations realistic.

BCubb2003
04-06-2008, 12:23 PM
I expect him to pitch a perfect game, strike out 21 guys, and hit for the cycle at the plate.

At least a Rick Wise no-hitter with two homers.

RFS62
04-06-2008, 12:38 PM

Only 21 strikeouts?

Geez, man.

Falls City Beer
04-06-2008, 12:49 PM
I want him to do this after his first K:

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/10/25/hulk_hogan_2.jpg

Matt700wlw
04-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Whatcha gonna do when Volquamania runs wild on you!!!

Falls City Beer
04-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Whatcha gonna do when Volquamania runs wild on you!!!

I tell all my little Volquamaniacs to eat, exercise, and take their vitamins....! Tell 'em Beefcake.

BCubb2003
04-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Only 21 strikeouts?

Geez, man.

Depending on who's catching, there could be a couple of passed balls and four -strikeout innings..

Highlifeman21
04-06-2008, 01:21 PM
14 Ip, 0 H, 0 R, 32 K, 0 Bb.......

Exactly 100 pitches?

jojo
04-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Exactly 100 pitches?

who's counting pitches? :cool:

MWM
04-06-2008, 01:56 PM
That tailing fastball to left handers hitters is nasty. And he throws is to the same spot consistently. I don't see how anyone could hit that pitch.

membengal
04-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Great debut. Everything I could have hoped for and more. Best of luck to Josh Hamilton, and I will always root for him, but that was a trade that had to made.

Patrick Bateman
04-06-2008, 03:32 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. He did it back to back with Rollins and Victorino, and neither even bothered lifting their bats off their shoulders.

Reminds me of the type of pitch you can do in MVP baseball for the Nintendo... but I didn't think anyone could actually throw it just as well with that kind of consistency. Half way down it looks like it's going to hit the batter's knees, but it ends up prefectly on the inside corner.

Screwball
04-06-2008, 03:34 PM
That tailing fastball to left handers hitters is nasty. And he throws is to the same spot consistently. I don't see how anyone could hit that pitch.

Yep. Reminded me of how I always shook my head as Maddux did that to the Reds.

Steve4192
04-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Great debut.

The only concern I have is that he throws a lot of pitches to get his outs. With all the strikeouts, walks, and deep counts, I don't see him being a workhorse innings eater at this point in his career.

That said, I am perfectly happy if he can consistently give the Reds five or six strong innings. Hopefully, his command will improve as he matures.

Will M
04-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Great debut. Everything I could have hoped for and more. Best of luck to Josh Hamilton, and I will always root for him, but that was a trade that had to made.

When Wayne made the Hamilton-Volquez trade I was ticked off.
So far, wow.

The season is young but my hopes are big.

Harang-Arroyo-Cueto-Volquez is a great rotation with potential to be incredible. the Reds will have better starting pitching that they did during their 1988-1995 years when they contended most years.

reds44
04-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Great debut.

The only concern I have is that he throws a lot of pitches to get his outs. With all the strikeouts, walks, and deep counts, I don't see him being a workhorse innings eater at this point in his career.

That said, I am perfectly happy if he can consistently give the Reds five or six strong innings. Hopefully, his command will improve as he matures.
Yeah he definatley isn't as pitch efficent as Cueto is. However with the stories about how wild he was in Texas, I think he has already made strides in improving. Hopefully that continues.

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Volquez was efficient through the first three innings, IIRC he threw 38 pitches in that span. The 4th, 5th, and 6th inning is when he started to go deeper in counts. But, man, was he impressive or what. The tailing fastball is filthy, as is the changeup. He threw a couple curves/sliders that were decent pitches too.

WMR
04-06-2008, 03:57 PM
If he can really master that slider, he will be a true ACE.

Benihana
04-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Volquez reminds me of Carlos Zambrano.

Think about a rotation of:

Aaron Harang
Lil' Pedro Martinez
Bronson Arroyo
Lil' Carlos Zambrano
Matt Belisle/Homer Bailey/Matt Maloney

Wow.

jmcclain19
04-06-2008, 04:11 PM
And the best part - is that the way the rotation is setup right now - is the day after teams watch Volquez throwing his nasty mid 90s gas go 6 innings- they get Arroyo and his pinpoint junk tossing all day long.

Love the different looks, and I think it will do wonders for the Reds this season.

Redmachine2003
04-06-2008, 04:14 PM
The thing that impressed me is this is about the 4th time he has pitched against the Phills this year (like 3 times this spring) and they still couldn't figure him out.

Screwball
04-06-2008, 04:17 PM
The thing that impressed me is this is about the 4th time he has pitched against the Phills this year (like 3 times this spring) and they still couldn't figure him out.

Good point. Just wait 'til he goes against guys that haven't seen him yet. He's gonna make 'em look as silly as he did the Yankees when they faced him in ST.

flyer85
04-06-2008, 04:22 PM
looked great ... he was pitching to the best offense in the NL. Just as impressive as Cueto was on Wednesday.

RFS62
04-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Quite a week for Reds pitching, eh?

RedlegJake
04-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Volquez' stuff is just nasty. No one should be able to hit 98 then come back in the low 80s with an impossible to pickup change. Later on when they started geting more of the ball as he tired there still wasn't anyone tattooing his pitches and when he got behind in counts he fought back. What really impressed me though was his willingness to throw his slider and change from behind and in full counts - and getting it over. Stuff wise he looks even nastier than Cueto. His fastball breaks so much sometimes it looks impossible to hit.

RBA
04-06-2008, 04:34 PM
I like how he kept the ball low in the strike zone. And when he did miss, he was missing low.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-06-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm in love with the prospects of this pitching staff right now. He seemed very composed on the mound. He got in a couple of situations with runners in scoring position and worked through them like he'd been there before.

His stuff pretty much speaks for itself and he showed very good control, like RBA said, he was low in the zone all game. I can't imagine the K numbers when he and Cueto start getting the benefit of the doubt from umps and the zone opens up a little more.

fearofpopvol1
04-06-2008, 04:50 PM
He pitched great. 1 run and 8Ks against possibly the best lineup in the NL was impressive. Especially considering how the Phils had already seen Volquez in spring training.

The only thing I hope to see is Volquez throw a few more strikes. However, he may have had the jitters or something else, but he was still very good for his Reds debut.

wolfboy
04-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Yeah he definatley isn't as pitch efficent as Cueto is. However with the stories about how wild he was in Texas, I think he has already made strides in improving. Hopefully that continues.

I was at the game today, and it seemed like the ump's strike zone was wildly inconsistent. Volquez definitely threw strikes during the entire outing. I think he got some calls earlier, but wasn't getting them later. He looked really good.

The only thing I can nit pick about is that I didn't see a lot of ground balls. I can remember maybe two through his entire outing. Most of stuff that was hit was in the air. I guess this troubles me because on days where he doesn't have his best stuff, he could be prone to giving up a lot of homers. I could be completely off on this, but time will tell. Overall, I was very impressed.

wolfboy
04-06-2008, 06:59 PM
I was at the game today, and it seemed like the ump's strike zone was wildly inconsistent. Volquez definitely threw strikes during the entire outing. I think he got some calls earlier, but wasn't getting them later. He looked really good.

The only thing I can nit pick about is that I didn't see a lot of ground balls. I can remember maybe two through his entire outing. Most of stuff that was hit was in the air. I guess this troubles me because on days where he doesn't have his best stuff, he could be prone to giving up a lot of homers. I could be completely off on this, but time will tell. Overall, I was very impressed.

Okay.....one more thing to nit pick. Volquez is horrible at the plate. Anyone who saw his first attempt at a bunt knows what I mean. :D

GAC
04-06-2008, 07:09 PM

I was close..... ;)

5.1 innings, 5 hits, 2 BBs, 1 ER

MWM
04-06-2008, 07:10 PM
I think with Volquez he's shown that he has really good command. I think with it will be a matter of learning to trust his stuff and not try to throw the perfect pitch. His last couple of innings you could see him start to press a little. If he can learn to trust that hitters are going to have a hard time hitting his good stuff even if it's in the zone, I think he'll be fine. I think it's a mental thing for Volquez moreso than real wildness, which is Homer Bailey's problem, IMO.

Ravenlord
04-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Quite a week for Reds pitching, eh?

indeed. right now the Reds staff leads the NL in strike outs. i wonder when the last time the Reds' pitchers led the NL in K's after the first week. . .

Always Red
04-06-2008, 07:25 PM
I like how he kept the ball low in the strike zone. And when he did miss, he was missing low.

That's what I really loved seeing from both Volquez and Cueto.

Okay.....one more thing to nit pick. Volquez is horrible at the plate. Anyone who saw his first attempt at a bunt knows what I mean. :D

I know- he looked like Eddie Encarnacion up there trying to bunt...:D

Chip R
04-06-2008, 07:35 PM
I tell all my little Volquamaniacs to eat, exercise, and take their vitamins....! Tell 'em Beefcake.

http://www.autographedtoyou.com/CelebPics/brutus_beefcake1.jpg

redsmetz
04-06-2008, 07:59 PM
indeed. right now the Reds staff leads the NL in strike outs. i wonder when the last time the Reds' pitchers led the NL in K's after the first week. . .

Marty & Thom said during the game that the only time the Reds led the NL in K's in a long time was in 1992. But I can't say whether we led after the 1st week.

Topcat
04-06-2008, 08:10 PM
The upside on these guys for this staff is tremendous. It also allows them to be patient and let Homer Refine his game. If all this plays out right, with the obvious speed bumps. Cincinnati will become a desired place for Free agents. Winning has a way of doing that.

Falls City Beer
04-06-2008, 08:29 PM
http://www.autographedtoyou.com/CelebPics/brutus_beefcake1.jpg

I gotta tell ya: I'm really feeling this Reds/Wrestling connection. I feel like this team could get punched in the face and would simply shake its head and wag an index finger in the opponent's face.

savafan
04-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Forget the power of tradition, this is a whole new ballgame!

Chip R
04-06-2008, 10:26 PM
I gotta tell ya: I'm really feeling this Reds/Wrestling connection. I feel like this team could get punched in the face and would simply shake its head and wag an index finger in the opponent's face.

Hopefully Bobby Heenan isn't going to come in and beat them over the head with a chair.

membengal
04-07-2008, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the heads up on that, I was wondering last night where they were in terms of Ks as a staff. I certainly don't easily remember the last time the Reds had starters collectively who miss so many bats.

My fondest K memories, of course, tend to center around Charleton/Dibble/Myers in the pen. One of the reasons they were so filthy was that guys didn't put a lot of balls in play, relatively speaking.

Great to see that from our starting staff in the first week of this season.

registerthis
04-07-2008, 09:59 AM

I just hope they come up with a better finishing maneuver than running their opponents into their outstretched leg. I think a lot of teams might get up from that, even if the Iron Sheik did not.

Falls City Beer
04-07-2008, 10:11 AM
I just hope they come up with a better finishing maneuver than running their opponents into their outstretched leg. I think a lot of teams might get up from that, even if the Iron Sheik did not.

Atomic Leg Drop, dude.

Only one opponent got up from that, IIRC. The Ultimate Warrior.

OnBaseMachine
04-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Volquez gives fans something to smile about

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Sunday, April 06, 2008

CINCINNATI The smile splayed across his face was a wide slash when somebody asked Edinson Volquez what he thought about the ovation he was given by the standing majority of 26,566 at Great American Ball Park.

"I think they love me," he said.

That was after Volquez pitched 5 1/3 innings, holding the Philadelphia Phillies to one run and five hits while striking out eight during an 8-2 victory by the Cincinnati Reds on Sunday, April 6.

He didn't quite match teammate/best friend Johnny Cueto's major-league debut a one-hitter with 10 strikeouts but Volquez said, "He cheated for his 10 strikeouts. He went seven innings."

Volquez reached 95 pitches after giving up a single to Pat Burrell, putting two on with one out, and Dusty Baker came to the mound to say, "No mas."

By then, thanks to Ken Griffey Jr. and Jeff Keppinger, the Reds led 4-1, then added four more in the sixth.

Griffey crushed his first home run of the season, a two-run shot in the bottom of the first to give Volquez a 2-0 working margin, Griffey's 594th and 100th as a member of the Reds.

Keppinger, hitting .435, had a single, home run (his second) and a double while scoring three and driving in three.

Asked what it was like playing behind Cueto and Volquez, Keppinger said, "Easy. They get a lot of strikeouts, a lot of easy outs. Guys don't get too many good swings at them. I'm glad they're on my team. I'd rather not face them."

Griffey recognizes talent when he sees it, but knows talent needs nurturing.

"Those two guys have some very good teachers (Mario Soto, Francisco Cordero), some guys who have been around and know what they're talking about. These guys have come in and said, 'We're not going to change too much, we're going to teach you how to pitch,' " said Griffey. "When you teach somebody how to pitch and they're willing to learn, it goes a long way."

And Griffey realizes what mixing in Cueto and Volquez if they continue this way with Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo, could mean.

"We're in the making of having a lot of fun this year," said Griffey. "We just have to go out and do our part."

Volquez, making his Cincinnati debut, admitted to jangly nerves. He threw two called strikes to leadoff hitter Jimmy Rollins, who then singled. He also issued a two-out walk, but then retired the next nine, five by strikeouts.

"I was excited in the first inning, but when we got the runs (Griffey's homer in the bottom of the first), I got more excited toward getting the win," he said. "The first thing on my mind was to do a very good job because it was my first time in Cincinnati and I think I did."

The fans gave him an A+.

Volquez's second-biggest smile appeared when it was mentioned what Griffey said about his instructors, Cordero and Soto.

"When Coco (Cordero) goes into a game, it is exciting for me because, 'Game over,' and Mario Soto is a pretty good teacher," he said.

And Volquez is a pretty good student.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/04/06/ddn040708spredsweb.html#comments

medford
04-11-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure if this has been posted here, but thought I'd add it to this thread since it came right after his first start. Its another fantasy arcticle, but puts a good spin on Volquez:

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/roto_arcade/post/Closing-Time-the-other-Johnny-Cueto-;_ylt=AiIOjGGonwKTlTb.O9OAfgJVrMoF?urn=fantasy,754 32

I'm excited to see what Volquez can do his 2nd time out tonight vs the Pirates. Hopefully the weather cooperates. I'm thinking 6 innings w/ 8Ks, 3 BBs, 5 hits and 1 run.

OnBaseMachine
04-12-2008, 01:44 AM
*Bump*

I can't get over how well Volquez pitched tonight considering the circumstances. You could tell he was struggling out there with the wet and slippery mound and the thick mud getting stuck in his cleats. He was having a hard time getting comfortable and pushing off the rubber, which caused a slight dip in velocity and command, hence the lack of strikeouts. FWIW, he only had the one strikeout but he got 9 GO compared to just 4 FO. That was a gutty performance. He battled through the bad conditions and threw five shutout innings against a team that has swung the bat well through their first 10 games. I like this kid more and more every time I watch him pitch. It's a shame they couldn't get him a win tonight but if he continues to pitch like that, he's going to win more often than not.

icehole3
04-12-2008, 07:38 AM
I agree it was bad out there with the slipping and wet ball, he looked very poised another great performance IMO.

SunDeck
04-12-2008, 08:50 AM
I noticed they were in a low scoring struggle last night and went to bed thinking they could win the game. How long has it been since anyone could think that? And then when I checked the score this morning, seeing that they were not able to get the win, I thought to myself that this was not too bad because EV had a quality start.
You get a lot of quality starts and you'll win a lot of games. It's not like last year when the Reds absolutely needed a game like the one last night because there would be so many others when they were out of it before they had a chance to bat around three times.

The Reds are finally becoming a team I can bear to watch. My expectations are not that they will win the division, but that they should be in a position to win every game. EV looks more and more like he's going to have a lot of quality starts this year and if he and Cueto keep this up I think the Reds will have a very positive year. They probably won't win the division, but it looks to be shaping up like a real year of progress.

It is a good time to be a Reds fan.

bucksfan2
04-12-2008, 08:59 AM
I noticed they were in a low scoring struggle last night and went to bed thinking they could win the game. How long has it been since anyone could think that? And then when I checked the score this morning, seeing that they were not able to get the win, I thought to myself that this was not too bad because EV had a quality start.
You get a lot of quality starts and you'll win a lot of games. It's not like last year when the Reds absolutely needed a game like the one last night because there would be so many others when they were out of it before they had a chance to bat around three times.

The Reds are finally becoming a team I can bear to watch. My expectations are not that they will win the division, but that they should be in a position to win every game. EV looks more and more like he's going to have a lot of quality starts this year and if he and Cueto keep this up I think the Reds will have a very positive year. They probably won't win the division, but it looks to be shaping up like a real year of progress.

It is a good time to be a Reds fan.

During a season you are going to lose games like that. Games after a travel day, played in horriable weather, when you just aren't getting the runners in. Not only did the reds pitching keep them in the game but it gave them a very very good chance at winning the game. I am liking more and more the young guns the reds have on this current team. I know Burton gave up the solo shot but he has been nasty this season. Combine that with the resurgence of Lincoln and Cordero at the back end of the pen the reds will win a lot of games if the starters turn over a lead to the pen.

There were some disturbing things from the game last night. Most importantly Hopper bunting into a double play with runners on first and thrid. Corey Patterson also needs to put the ball on the ground. He had a great chance to be the table setter last night in the top of the 9th but hit a lazy pop up. Edwin also needs to start hitting better. I do think Votto will come along but the reds need to be paitent with him. Overall this is the most optimistic I have been about the reds in quite a while.

SunDeck
04-12-2008, 09:12 AM
During a season you are going to lose games like that. Games after a travel day, played in horriable weather, when you just aren't getting the runners in. Not only did the reds pitching keep them in the game but it gave them a very very good chance at winning the game. I am liking more and more the young guns the reds have on this current team. I know Burton gave up the solo shot but he has been nasty this season. Combine that with the resurgence of Lincoln and Cordero at the back end of the pen the reds will win a lot of games if the starters turn over a lead to the pen.

There were some disturbing things from the game last night. Most importantly Hopper bunting into a double play with runners on first and thrid. Corey Patterson also needs to put the ball on the ground. He had a great chance to be the table setter last night in the top of the 9th but hit a lazy pop up. Edwin also needs to start hitting better. I do think Votto will come along but the reds need to be paitent with him. Overall this is the most optimistic I have been about the reds in quite a while.

No doubt- leaving 12 guys stranded is a bite. But that bums me out a lot less than running AAA pitchers out there.

Highlifeman21
04-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Atomic Leg Drop, dude.

Only one opponent got up from that, IIRC. The Ultimate Warrior.

Didn't Andre get up from the big leg once, too?

I never could keep all The Ultimate Warriors straight. I swear they must have gone through 7 of them, since they were the epitome of a juiced athlete. I remember hearing about other recreational drug problems with them as well.

Right now this Reds squad is setting me up for heartbreak. I'm starting to believe they could be better than I thought, and it makes me hang on every pitch of every game even moreso than years past. I'm glad I didn't hear or see any of last night's game, b/c I probably would have drank heavily to cope with the Pirates shutting out our offense.

SunDeck
04-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Didn't Andre get up from the big leg once, too?

I never could keep all The Ultimate Warriors straight. I swear they must have gone through 7 of them, since they were the epitome of a juiced athlete. I remember hearing about other recreational drug problems with them as well.

Right now this Reds squad is setting me up for heartbreak. I'm starting to believe they could be better than I thought, and it makes me hang on every pitch of every game even moreso than years past. I'm glad I didn't hear or see any of last night's game, b/c I probably would have drank heavily to cope with the Pirates shutting out our offense.

Come in off the ledge, friend. These guys are pretty good- enjoy the fact that they are not the same club they've been for the last seven years, but don't let it get away from you. The best thing about the Reds right now is that they have clearly made progress in establishing the most fundamental part of their foundation, quality starting pitchers. Add to that the fact that they have 1/2 of the middle infield sewn up with a bona fide gold glove fielder, and then the envious choice of being able to play the number one prospect in the minor leagues at CF or RF and you've got yourself a (dare I say) real ball club shaping up over the next 5+ years.

I'm liking the Reds a lot more lately, but I'm liking the Reds future even more.

Jpup
04-12-2008, 11:07 AM

FTR, there was only one, thank God, Ultimate Warrior and it was Jim Helwig.

OnBaseMachine
04-12-2008, 11:35 AM

Same here. I predicted this club to win 86 games but that more from my heart than anything. Now, with the strong starting pitching and solid bullpen, I've raised my expectations and think this club could actually win 86 games (or more) and possibly win the Central. When I raise my expectations, and they lose games like the one last night, it really sticks in my mind for a while. That was a tough one to swallow. If they can comeback and win tonight and tomorrow it would really ease my mind.