PDA

View Full Version : Belisle, Ross to start rehab games

AmarilloRed
04-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Belisle, Ross to start rehab games
Reds starter joins catcher in Class A Sarasota on Saturday
By Jeff Wallner / Special to MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Reds right-hander Matt Belisle will make his first rehab start on Saturday when Class A Sarasota hosts Tampa (Yankees) at 6 p.m. ET.

Belisle has been on the disabled list since March 31 with a sore right forearm.

Catcher David Ross, who's been on the DL since March 30 with lower back spasms, will start behind the plate for Belisle's outing. Ross is 1-for-5 with two walks and one run scored in two rehab appearances.

Last year, in his first season as a full-time starter, Belisle went 8-9 with a 5.32 ERA in 30 starts. He was 2-0 with a 9.00 ERA in four Spring Training starts before being placed on the DL.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080405&content_id=2494463&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Let's hope both are healthy in due course. Belisle could enter the rotation if Fogg continues to struggle, and we are going to need Ross healthy with Valentin's injury.

redlegsmustache
04-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Belisle, Ross to start rehab games
Reds starter joins catcher in Class A Sarasota on Saturday
By Jeff Wallner / Special to MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Reds right-hander Matt Belisle will make his first rehab start on Saturday when Class A Sarasota hosts Tampa (Yankees) at 6 p.m. ET.

Belisle has been on the disabled list since March 31 with a sore right forearm.

Catcher David Ross, who's been on the DL since March 30 with lower back spasms, will start behind the plate for Belisle's outing. Ross is 1-for-5 with two walks and one run scored in two rehab appearances.

Last year, in his first season as a full-time starter, Belisle went 8-9 with a 5.32 ERA in 30 starts. He was 2-0 with a 9.00 ERA in four Spring Training starts before being placed on the DL.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080405&content_id=2494463&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Let's hope both are healthy in due course. Belisle could enter the rotation if Fogg continues to struggle, and we are going to need Ross healthy with Valentin's injury.

I bet Dustys glad he went with three catchers. But if all else fails. I'm sure Ryan Freel could play catcher. :)

LouisvilleCARDS
04-06-2008, 01:29 AM
I hope Belisle has a breakthru year. Nothing dominant, but if he can come up here and start and keep around under a 5 ERA as the #5 starter, that would be pretty solid IMO. Choosings between Valentine, Ross, and Bako is picking between the worst of evils IMO. All of them cannot bat with any consistency, but at times can get on some good streaks hitting wise - hopefully we can find a combo that maximizes the best we can get with what we have here. I would kill for some Eddie Taubensese numbers right now.

BTW - when is Alex Gonzalez coming back? That should be interesting.

Kingspoint
04-06-2008, 04:05 AM
What a dominating performance by Belisle.

18 up, 18 down before surrendering a Triple to lead off the 7th. He ended up going 8-2/3 of shutout ball with, I think 1 Walk and 4 K's, and only 2 hits.

Those #6, #7, and #8 pitchers are going to come into play sooner or later, either because of injury or ineffectiveness by the Top-5 pitchers. Nice if they're ready when needed.

Fogg and Volquez will have to earn their starts instead of being handed the job. That's a good thing. It will hopefully keep them from walking people.

Maldez
04-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Anything that keeps Fogg on the bench is good news.