PDA

View Full Version : Charlton Heston Passes Away at the Age of 84

RBA
04-06-2008, 12:19 AM
News

Charlton Heston Passes Away at the Age of 84
Source: Mercury Group
April 5, 2008

http://comingsoon.net/nextraimages/hestonobit.jpgLegendary actor, civil rights leader and political activist Charlton Heston passed away today, at the age of 84. He died at his home with Lydia, his wife of 64 years, at his side. Mr. Heston was loved by his two children, Fraser Clarke Heston and Holly Heston Rochell, and his three grandchildren, Jack Alexander Heston, Ridley Rochell and Charlie Rochell.

The Heston family issued the following statement:

"To his loving friends, colleagues and fans, we appreciate your heartfelt prayers and support. Charlton Heston was seen by the world as larger than life. He was known for his chiseled jaw, broad shoulders and resonating voice, and, of course, for the roles he played. Indeed, he committed himself to every role with passion, and pursued every cause with unmatched enthusiasm and integrity.

We knew him as an adoring husband, a kind and devoted father, and a gentle grandfather, with an infectious sense of humor. He served these far greater roles with tremendous faith, courage and dignity. He loved deeply, and he was deeply loved.

No one could ask for a fuller life than his. No man could have given more to his family, to his profession, and to his country. In his own words, "I have lived such a wonderful life! I've lived enough for two people."

A private memorial service will be held. The family has requested that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Motion Picture and Television Fund:

MPTF
22212 Ventura Boulevard, Suite 300
Woodland Hills, CA 91364
MPTVFund.org (http://www.mptvfund.org/)

Heston received an Oscar for Best Actor in 1960's Ben-Hur and starred in such classics as The Ten Commandments, Planet of the Apes, Secret of the Incas, The Omega Man and Soylent Green

BUTLER REDSFAN
04-06-2008, 12:35 AM
There are some hollywood types that you could care less about but not Heston. He was a great actor and sounded like an even greater man.

BUTLER REDSFAN
04-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Charlton Heston controversy
Clooney stirred up controversy for his remarks about Charlton Heston, while speaking at during National Board of Review's event in 2003. "Charlton Heston announced again today that he is suffering from Alzheimer's."

When asked if he went too far with his remarks, Clooney responded, "I don't care. Charlton Heston is the head of the National Rifle Association; he deserves whatever anyone says about him." [42]

Heston himself commented, "It just goes to show that sometimes class does skip a generation," referring to Clooney's late aunt, Rosemary Clooney. [43]

Heston further commented on the Clooney "joke": "I don't know the man never met him, never even spoken to him, but I feel sorry for George Clooney one day he may get Alzheimer's disease. I served my country in World War II. I survived that I guess I can survive some bad words from this fellow".[44]

Clooney subsequently apologized to Heston in a letter, and received a positive response from Heston's wife.

I wonder what George has to say now?!?!

pedro
04-06-2008, 12:47 AM
Probably the last of the great Hollywood man's man.

I just can't imagine anyone else in just about every role he played. Could you imagine Ben Hur today?

savafan
04-06-2008, 12:48 AM
Let's not make this political. The man was one of the finest actors ever.

R.I.P.

BUTLER REDSFAN
04-06-2008, 01:02 AM
Let's not make this political. The man was one of the finest actors ever.

R.I.P.

Let me clarify..to me Clooney seemingly couldnt wait to make fun of a man who had just announced he had a terminal condition. Now that this condition has made Heston pass away will Clooney be the 1st to say some positive things about the man??I would hope so but time will tell. I wasn't talking the political side of this just the classless way Clooney went about it.

Unassisted
04-06-2008, 01:21 AM
Clooney subsequently apologized to Heston in a letter, and received a positive response from Heston's wife.

I wonder what George has to say now?!?!
He'd probably say "I apologized in a letter and received a positive response from Heston's wife."

I enjoyed Charlton Heston's work in the 70s, but I felt he tarnished his legacy with some of his words and deeds in the 80s and 90s. It's a shame that the younger generation will remember him more for things he did outside of Hollywood than some of his fine work in films.

ochre
04-06-2008, 01:26 AM
there is no point bringing Clooney into this thread. It is about Charlton Heston.

Let it go.

Raisor
04-06-2008, 01:33 AM
http://www.templeton-cambridge.org/fellows/grossman/publications/2007.03.07/americans_get_an_f_in_religion/img/charlton_heston_plays_moses.jpg

RIP Chuck.

GAC
04-06-2008, 03:58 AM
Simply a great actor. Like Reagan, once they announced he had Alzheimer's you knew it was just a matter of time. So everyone was pretty much prepared for it.

Rest in peace Charlton. I thoroughly enjoyed your body of work.

RedsBaron
04-06-2008, 07:16 AM
Simply a great actor. Like Reagan, once they announced he had Alzheimer's you knew it was just a matter of time. So everyone was pretty much prepared for it.

Rest in peace Charlton. I thoroughly enjoyed your body of work.

Alzheimer's is such a terrible disease. Both Reagan and Heston showed class when each announced his condition, but it has to be so hard, announcing your own death sentence, knowing that there is nothing you can do to prevent it, and knowing how hard it will be on those who love you and will have to care for you.
R.I.P.

RedFanAlways1966
04-06-2008, 07:27 AM
Sad news. RIP, Mr. Heston.

WMR
04-06-2008, 07:27 AM
Just saw Soylent Green for the first time the other day; awesome movie.

Great, great actor.

Degenerate39
04-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Ever since I saw The Omega Man and Planet of The Apes he was one of my favorite actors. It's sad to hear that such a great actor is gone.

SunDeck
04-06-2008, 09:54 AM
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t64/Coyoteesharptongue/___heston.jpg
I agree, it's impossible to think of anyone but Heston in the roles he played. He made some poor script choices along the way, but I still like to see him in every movie he was ever in.

Falls City Beer
04-06-2008, 10:07 AM
I've seen several of his movies and think he was probably the worst overactor I've ever seen.

SunDeck
04-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Yep, you never got a throw away performance out of him.

westofyou
04-06-2008, 10:14 AM
RIP Mr Heston.

Fine actor?

I think he was one of the biggest hams and worst actors ever that was in more than 1 movie.

Charlton Heston a great actor?

If so than you could also argue that Kool Aid is a great drink.

Charlton Heston's best film?

Touch of Evil hands down.

kaldaniels
04-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Loved his cameo in Wayne's World 2.

GoReds33
04-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Heston wasn't a great actor. On top of that, he was a complete idiot with the Columbine thing. He went to Colorado just a couple weeks after Columbine, and he made a fool out of himself with his speech.

I guess now we can pry that gun from his "cold dead hands."

Chip R
04-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Since you guys can't help yourselves from getting political, this thread is closed. I hope you're proud of yourselves.