PDA

View Full Version : Who is your pick to win the NCAA Men's basketball championship?

WMR
04-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Memphis versus Kansas

guttle11
04-06-2008, 09:01 AM
And now we're over here...

Kansas. I think they're more diverse on offense. They can score consistently in transition or in the half court. I'm not convinced Memphis could score in the half court if needed. I don't think Dorsey has the discipline to defend against very athletic big men. I expect him to get 2 fouls pretty quickly.

It's going to be fast and furious for about 30 minutes, then it should settle in to a more half court finish. Kansas pulls away a bit and wins by 9.

OSUredsFAN
04-06-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm going to be rooting for Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk!!!!!! I'll win $300 if KU wins.

texasdave
04-06-2008, 10:23 AM
GL, OSUredsFan. I hope you don't have that money spent quite yet though. Memphis by double-digits.

REDblooded
04-06-2008, 10:41 AM
I'll stay with who i picked to win the tournament.

Kansas

GoReds33
04-06-2008, 11:30 AM
I picked Memphis, because they have a great coach, and a balanced scoring attack. Rose now knows what he's doing with the basketball.

Matt700wlw
04-06-2008, 12:49 PM
I picked Kansas when I filled out my bracket...if they pull it off, I may win at least some money.

Ukosumu
04-06-2008, 03:08 PM
If Memphis can do on defense to the Kansas guards they have done the last three games, they win.

cumberlandreds
04-06-2008, 05:14 PM
I picked Kansas on my brackets so I will stick with them. But Memphis looks mighty good and they will tough to beat. I'm not sure Kansas has anyone who can neutralize Rose. Rose may be the difference in the game.

Razor Shines
04-06-2008, 10:30 PM
I picked Memphis, pretty much guaranteeing that they will lose.

dabvu2498
04-07-2008, 08:14 AM

Ditto. I think I'm oh-fer-63 picking games up to this point. Why should this one be any different?

Cyclone792
04-07-2008, 08:40 AM
I'm fairly certain Memphis has more talent and is just the better team. Whether that translates into a win tonight is why we'll be watching the game, but my pick is Memphis.

Also, I'd love to see a CUSA team (or any non-power conference team) win a championship and stick it to everyone else.

Roy Tucker
04-07-2008, 08:42 AM
I have Kansas winning the whole thing in my bracket but I think Memphis will win. What they did to UCLA was awfully impressive. Memphis has been on a real roll the whole tournament. Heck, the whole season, really.

And for a team that has reached the Finals, Kansas' play hasn't impressed me that much. I don't think their defense is good enough to stop that dribble drive motion offense of Memphis.

BRM
04-07-2008, 09:01 AM

That's pretty much where I'm at. I think they are the better team and should win, which means they lose by 10+ tonight.

Cyclone792
04-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Memphis is out to a quick 9-5 lead at the first of too many TV timeouts.

WMR
04-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Those who chose Memphis: (23 overall)

Boston Red, BRM, BuckeyeRed27, camisadelgolf, Cyclone792, dabvu2498, fearofpopvol1, GoReds33, jimbo, Jpup, kyred14, MWM, NDRed, OnBaseMachine, paintmered, Razor Shines, RedFanAlways1966, reds2221, SeeinRed, TeamSelig, texasdave, Ukosumu, WilyMoROCKS

WMR
04-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Those who chose Kansas: (18 overall)

AccordinglyReds, Bullroar14, cumberlandreds, guttle11, halcyon, Highlifeman21, Johnny Footstool, joshnky, KoryMac5, Matt700wlw, OSUredsFAN, RANDY IN CHAR NC, RBA, REDblooded, Redhook, rotnoid, Super_Barry11, WVRed

OnBaseMachine
04-07-2008, 11:28 PM
62-60 Memphis with 10.8 seconds left and Memphis is shooting two free throws. They've already missed a bunch of key free throws or else this game would be over.

WMR
04-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Overtime!!!!!!

Free throws come back to bite Memphis!

WMR
04-07-2008, 11:32 PM
I cut and pasted everyone who voted before the game started earlier in the thread, so the cheaters WILL be exposed. :laugh:

joshnky
Wow! Terrific game! You think Coach Cal will still deny the importance of good free throw shooting?

What a complete collapse by Memphis. I thought this was over with two minutes remaining but a key turnover and misses by CDR and Rose gave Kansas the chance.

Gainesville Red
Wow.

OnBaseMachine
04-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Memphis chokes. They can't make one damn free throw and it killed them. Overtime now. I want Memphis to win but they don't deserve it after choking.

joshnky
04-07-2008, 11:34 PM
I hate Memphis and I'm loving this. It makes it even better that the chief thug, Joey Dorsey, has to watch from the bench.

WMR
04-07-2008, 11:38 PM
ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK

Nice.

I want Memphis to lose.

WMR
04-07-2008, 11:38 PM
I hate Memphis and I'm loving this. It makes it even better that the chief thug, Joey Dorsey, has to watch from the bench.

Me too. An even bigger thug school than UofL. :evil: ;)

joshnky
04-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Chris Douglas-Roberts and Derrick Rose are great players but they'll always remember this day as the day they choked away a national championship.

Memphis is the better team but Kansas is the more mature team and has handled the adversity well.

joshnky
04-07-2008, 11:40 PM

Its not even close. Even UC in their glory days couldn't match these Memphis teams.

WMR
04-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Its not even close. Even UC in their glory days couldn't match these Memphis teams.

Agreed.

joshnky
04-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Calipari's coaching deficiencies are beginning to show.

AccordinglyReds
04-07-2008, 11:46 PM

LOL... :rolleyes:

Are you going to be buying a copy of Ramel's rap album coming out soon? :p:

joshnky
04-07-2008, 11:49 PM
This has been a terrific championship game. Two great teams, a thrilling comeback, and an overtime. Makes up for a blah tourney overall.

Kansas is doing what Memphis could not. Finishing the game at the line.

WMR
04-07-2008, 11:49 PM
LOL... :rolleyes:

Are you going to be buying a copy of Ramel's rap album coming out soon? :p:

:lol:

I'll wait for the video on Yo MTV Raps. ;)

kaldaniels
04-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Medias gonna be all over Calipari tommorrow....should be fun.

"Rock Chalk Championship"....ummm good one Nantz. :rolleyes:

WMR
04-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Congrats KU. Happy to have my prognostication proven wrong.

What a shot at the end of regulation!

WMR
04-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Medias gonna be all over Calipari tommorrow....should be fun.

"Rock Chalk Championship"....ummm good one Nantz. :rolleyes:

Think he practiced that one naked in front of his mirror? :rolleyes:

joshnky
04-07-2008, 11:51 PM
On a side note. That is one HUGE guy on the Memphis sideline. I believe they said he weighs 305 but he's easily 350.

WMR
04-07-2008, 11:53 PM
On a side note. That is one HUGE guy on the Memphis sideline. I believe they said he weighs 305 but he's easily 350.

Yeah, no kidding!!! 305... yeah right.

Reds Fanatic
04-07-2008, 11:54 PM
Great championship game. Memphis one weakness all year showed up at the end of regulation as Douglas-Roberts and Rose missed 5 straight free throws that would have sealed the game.

AccordinglyReds
04-07-2008, 11:57 PM
:lol:

I'll wait for the video on Yo MTV Raps. ;)

Well I don't think 'Ramel Smooth Bradley' is going to make it that far. :thumbup:

Google his name and you'll find the link to his myspace music site.

WMR
04-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Well I don't think 'Ramel Smooth Bradley' is going to make it that far. :thumbup:

Google his name and you'll find the link to his myspace music site.

Well he wants to be the Mayor of NYC too. :lol:

He's a great kid; will be an excellent ambassador for the University of Kentucky.

KronoRed
04-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Did the Memphis players have money on KU?

;)

Razor Shines
04-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Think he practiced that one naked in front of his mirror? :rolleyes:

LOL. You've got issues.

Super_Barry11
04-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Amazing game, amazing night. I'll never be able to get to sleep tonight. Too much adrenaline!!! :jump:

guttle11
04-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Super Nintendo Chalmers!

OSUredsFAN
04-08-2008, 12:19 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for me, thanks Memphis on nice FT's to end it.
Rock Chalk Jayhawks!!!!!!!!

Johnny Footstool
04-08-2008, 12:43 AM
I feel like I just ran a marathon. I'll sleep like a baby tonight.

Thank you, Mario, for stepping up when no one else could. Billy Packer was a little premature with his "shot of the tournament" call.

Sherron Collins, man, you've got a lot of growing up to do, but thank you for putting your boneheaded plays behind you and icing the game at the free throw line.

Rock

Chalk

Jayhawk

K

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

bengalsown
04-08-2008, 01:02 AM
I cut and pasted everyone who voted before the game started earlier in the thread, so the cheaters WILL be exposed. :laugh:

I cheated.

:cool:

Ukosumu
04-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Outstanding game last night....but now it will be long day today. I am still sleepy.

WVRed
04-08-2008, 07:14 AM
Congrats Johnny. If there was one team I wanted to see win it all it was Kansas. There really is no star on the team, they just all play together.

Dorsey should have been rang up with a technical after he chestbumped Aldrich/Kahn after the dunk. I could see not calling CDR slamming the ball out of frustration, but why they didn't on Dorsey is beyond me.

I wonder if this will hurt Derrick Rose's draft stock. He was projected as a top two pick. It might not hurt it much, but Bayless and Mayo could challenge him.

Did anybody else see the tribute to Keightley in the "One Shining Moment" video?

WVRed
04-08-2008, 07:18 AM
BTW, I have a feeling that Self will take the Oklahoma State job. I know he turned it down earlier in the press, but he has nothing more to accomplish at Kansas. If he left, it wouldn't be near the sting of Roy Williams, even though he would have to make an annual trek to Lawrence every year.

If that happened, then the Billy Gillispie to Kansas rumors would start, which makes more sense than the OSU rumors.

redsmetz
04-08-2008, 07:29 AM
Nothing like making your choice after the fact....

BRM
04-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Very good game last night. I picked Memphis to win but their achilles heel came back to bite them in the rear at the end of regulation. I bet Douglas-Roberts and Rose feel pretty bad right about now and it's sad. They are both very good players.

Who's going to start the Bill Self to OSU countdown thread? ;)

cumberlandreds
04-08-2008, 08:59 AM
I feel like I just ran a marathon. I'll sleep like a baby tonight.

Thank you, Mario, for stepping up when no one else could. Billy Packer was a little premature with his "shot of the tournament" call.

Sherron Collins, man, you've got a lot of growing up to do, but thank you for putting your boneheaded plays behind you and icing the game at the free throw line.

Rock

Chalk

Jayhawk

K

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Congrats and enjoy! You never know when one will come your way again. I'm a UK fan and I've been fortunate to be able to enjoy three of them in my lifetime. It's something, as a fan, you should never take for granted.

Johnny Footstool
04-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Dorsey should have been rang up with a technical after he chestbumped Aldrich/Kahn after the dunk. I could see not calling CDR slamming the ball out of frustration, but why they didn't on Dorsey is beyond me.

There was an intentional foul by Rose (I think), who lost the ball to Brandon Rush, then undercut him as Rush went up for the layup in the game's opening minutes.

There was a ridiculously flagrant intentional foul in the closing minutes of overtime as well. Sherron Collins threw a cross-court pass, and long after the ball was gone, a Memphis player ran up and shoved Collins with two hands in the chest. I know, "the refs will never call that in a close game," but still, come on. He nearly punched Collins in the chest.

Congrats and enjoy! You never know when one will come your way again. I'm a UK fan and I've been fortunate to be able to enjoy three of them in my lifetime. It's something, as a fan, you should never take for granted.

Thanks. I was lucky enough to watch the 1988 KU/Oklahoma game, and I rooted for Kansas, but I didn't have the connection to the school back then that I do now. The Jayhawks went twenty years with incredibly talented teams that just fell short. This one was special, though. They learned, adjusted, and grew up. What a fantastic feeling!

RichRed
04-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Congrats, Johnny!

WMR
04-08-2008, 01:06 PM
WV, Billy G's not going to KU. It actually made more sense--if you can call it that--that he would go to OSU b/c of Boone Pickens. No way he leaves UK for KU.

dabvu2498
04-08-2008, 01:11 PM
WV, Billy G's not going to KU. It actually made more sense--if you can call it that--that he would go to OSU b/c of Boone Pickens. No way he leaves UK for KU.

Mark Mangino makes more $ than Self. :eek: So, I tend to agree.

But he's about to make a whole lotta money, stay or go.

Chip R
04-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Mark Mangino makes more $ than Self. :eek:

The man has to eat.

Matt700wlw
04-08-2008, 03:58 PM
2nd in my bracket poll!

$40 in my pocket!

RichRed
04-08-2008, 04:20 PM
For the second year in a row, I was runner-up based on the final score tiebreaker. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

texasdave
04-08-2008, 04:40 PM
For the second year in a row, I was runner-up based on the final score tiebreaker. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

Next time you pick the teams and have OneUpper pick the score of the final game. (He picked 75-69, I believe) :)

RichRed
04-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Next time you pick the teams and have OneUpper pick the score of the final game. (He picked 75-69, I believe) :)

In the RedsZone contest, he might as well pick my teams AND the score. I came in around 24th place in that one, I think (can't check it here at work).

WVRed
04-08-2008, 10:43 PM

All Oklahoma State has to throw around is money. Money may get somebody like Bruce Pearl, but when you throw in prestige and tradition, you cannot name a price.

Kansas is an equal job to Kentucky in just about every category. I don't think Gillispie will leave for KU if the position opened, but I do think he would be one of the first called. He is a Self disciple and I imagine they will try to maintain current success with a similar coach.

WMR
04-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Kansas isn't an equal job to UK, IMO.

There are very few jobs I put on the first-tier of men's college bball.

UK, UNC, and UCLA

2nd tier- Duke, Kansas, IU

WVRed
04-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Kansas isn't an equal job to UK, IMO.

There are very few jobs I put on the first-tier of men's college bball.

UK, UNC, and UCLA

2nd tier- Duke, Kansas, IU

Kansas had James Naismith, who is considered the inventor of basketball. In addition, Phog Allen, for whom Allen Fieldhouse is named after, is considered the Father of Basketball Coaching.

I know this may sound biased but I would include Kansas and Indiana(regardless of Sampson) in the first tier. Duke on the other hand will have to wait until Coach K is gone before I can ever consider them a top tier job. I would consider Oklahoma State second tier(Henry Iba), but its not on the same level as Kansas. Only thing attracting Self is that he is an alumnus.

George Foster
04-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Ok, lets say that Billy G goes to either Oklahoma St. or Kansas...who will then take over at UK? I think it's a no brainer....the boy from Paintsville, KY

With that being said...I think Billy G is staying, but you get this crap when your coach does not have a contract.

WMR
04-08-2008, 11:10 PM
How does that make you sound biased? :confused:

I just disagree with ya. I see 3 true first-tier jobs in college bball. The 2nd tier jobs are amazing, but they're not on the same level as the first tier. Again, JMO.

WMR
04-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Ok, lets say that Billy G goes to either Oklahoma St. or Kansas...who will then take over at UK? I think it's a no brainer....the boy from Paintsville, KY

With that being said...I think Billy G is staying, but you get this crap when your coach does not have a contract.

The Memorandum of Understanding is just as binding as a contract, GF. Billy G's buy-out is currently 3 million dollars.

WMR
04-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Kansas had James Naismith, who is considered the inventor of basketball. In addition, Phog Allen, for whom Allen Fieldhouse is named after, is considered the Father of Basketball Coaching.

I know this may sound biased but I would include Kansas and Indiana(regardless of Sampson) in the first tier. Duke on the other hand will have to wait until Coach K is gone before I can ever consider them a top tier job. I would consider Oklahoma State second tier(Henry Iba), but its not on the same level as Kansas. Only thing attracting Self is that he is an alumnus.

Okie State is 3rd tier (being generous).

George Foster
04-08-2008, 11:12 PM
What do you get when you add the UNC program and the Duke program together????? The same number of national championships as the.................. University of Kentucky:thumbup:

George Foster
04-08-2008, 11:17 PM
The Memorandum of Understanding is just as binding as a contract, GF. Billy G's buy-out is currently 3 million dollars.

Then what is the difference? Why are they in contract negociations?
The memorandum of Understanding is a contact to sign a contract. It was signed in the late night hours when they had Billy G in Lexington. They did not have time to get the lawyers involved. It's like being engaged....it's not official until the preacher signs it.

WMR
04-08-2008, 11:18 PM
It is a contract in the sense that it's terms create legal obligations.

It's basically a pre-cursor to a long-term contract that still has all the "teeth" of a "real" contract.

George Foster
04-08-2008, 11:23 PM
It is a contract in the sense that it's terms create legal obligations.

It's basically a pre-cursor to a long-term contract that still has all the "teeth" of a "real" contract.

If it has real teeth, why are they in contract negociatons? All coaches sign these in the late night hour, then in a few months they sign a real contract, except for Mitch and Billy G.

I'm not trying to be smart, but there has to be a REAL difference or no one would have a contract. I think Mitch thinks ( the memorandum) it protects UK a lot more than it protects Billy G

WMR
04-08-2008, 11:25 PM
I agree, it didn't make much sense to me either.

Apparently it is meant to be a "short-term" fix that gives both parties "real stability."

FYI: Something I didn't know, Roy Williams was employed almost an entire year at UNC on a momorandum of understanding.

All I'm really saying is that if Billy G were to leave UK for another team, the buy-out would be what it is (quite large).

joshnky
04-09-2008, 06:23 AM
From what I've heard, a memorandum of understanding is a binding document like a contract but is actually preferred by coaches over the actual contract. This is the reason that coaches don't seem to be in a hurry to sign that contract. I don't know but I'm guessing that a contract adds in language that makes it easier to fire the coach in certain situations.

WVRed
04-09-2008, 07:17 AM
How does that make you sound biased? :confused:

I just disagree with ya. I see 3 true first-tier jobs in college bball. The 2nd tier jobs are amazing, but they're not on the same level as the first tier. Again, JMO.

By excluding Duke. They will be judged on how they do after Coach K leaves.

I'm just curious why you consider Kansas second tier when they have just as much history as the three teams you mentioned in the first tier.

BRM
04-09-2008, 09:01 AM
By excluding Duke. They will be judged on how they do after Coach K leaves.

I'm just curious why you consider Kansas second tier when they have just as much history as the three teams you mentioned in the first tier.

I'd have a hard time not including Kansas in the first tier as well.

dabvu2498
04-09-2008, 09:10 AM
I'd have a hard time not including Kansas in the first tier as well.

Absolutely. Okie State is a bit better than a 3rd tier program, also, despite the slippage of the last 3-4 years.

Chip R
04-09-2008, 09:12 AM
I understand that Okie St. is Self's alma mater but could he actually get the same kind of recruits to come to Okie St. as he has to Kansas?

BRM
04-09-2008, 09:28 AM
From SI.com's Truth & Rumors section:

Bill Self has told others that he wants to stay at Kansas, but he hopes he won't have to do it at the current rate. Self makes less than KU football coach Mark Mangino, who brings in $1.6 million per year. Self made it sound as if the most important thing for him wasn't a jaw-dropping yearly figure like the one Oklahoma State is expected to offer, but the longevity of a new deal. Oklahoma State is expected to call Self soon, and athletic director Mike Holder certainly won't be bashful. A Tulsa World column reported a rumor that Holder was prepared to offer Self a deal worth $3.5 million a year with a $6 million signing bonus.

WVRed
04-09-2008, 09:55 AM
I understand that Okie St. is Self's alma mater but could he actually get the same kind of recruits to come to Okie St. as he has to Kansas?

He won't have the Kansas letterhead, but he has a ring, a proven track record, and an up-tempo style of play that will entice recruits. Oklahoma State I consider second tier but with the right coach they could join the elite. They are just overshadowed by Kansas right now.

From what I have read Self is worried about job security, which is understandable. All it takes is two down seasons after this one and fans will be calling for change. Say all you want about Kentucky and their fans, but all of the other top tier programs would be doing the same thing if there was slippage.

Chip R
04-09-2008, 10:33 AM
He won't have the Kansas letterhead, but he has a ring, a proven track record, and an up-tempo style of play that will entice recruits. Oklahoma State I consider second tier but with the right coach they could join the elite. They are just overshadowed by Kansas right now.

From what I have read Self is worried about job security, which is understandable. All it takes is two down seasons after this one and fans will be calling for change. Say all you want about Kentucky and their fans, but all of the other top tier programs would be doing the same thing if there was slippage.

But that's just it, he won't have the Kansas letterhead. Not taking anything away from Self as a coach or a recruiter but that Kansas letterhead, playing at Allen Fieldhouse and getting your face on national TV several times a year are things that appeal to recruits. Pickens may have a lot of money but unless he offers it under the table to recruits, Having Bill Self as the coach may not be enough to entice the top recruits there. All things being equal and having Bill Self at Okie St., if it comes down between Okie St. and Kansas or Okie St. and Kentucky or Okie St. and Duke, more often than not, the recruit is not going to go to Okie St. I'm not saying it can't be done but it isn't going to be an easy road. Personally, I think he should stay at KU. The Okie St. job is always going to be there.

BRM
04-09-2008, 10:40 AM
But that's just it, he won't have the Kansas letterhead. Not taking anything away from Self as a coach or a recruiter but that Kansas letterhead, playing at Allen Fieldhouse and getting your face on national TV several times a year are things that appeal to recruits. Pickens may have a lot of money but unless he offers it under the table to recruits, Having Bill Self as the coach may not be enough to entice the top recruits there. All things being equal and having Bill Self at Okie St., if it comes down between Okie St. and Kansas or Okie St. and Kentucky or Okie St. and Duke, more often than not, the recruit is not going to go to Okie St. I'm not saying it can't be done but it isn't going to be an easy road. Personally, I think he should stay at KU. The Okie St. job is always going to be there.

As far as his career winning percentage goes, I agree he should stay at KU. It's awfully hard to turn down a job that will more than double your pay though. Awfully hard.

cumberlandreds
04-09-2008, 10:47 AM
IMO,the OSU job, with T. Boone Pickens throwing money, is major NCAA violation waiting to happen. It's just a matter of time when there will money heading to recruits.

dabvu2498
04-09-2008, 10:48 AM
The Okie St. job is always going to be there.

Not if Pickens has his way.

Sounds like he's gonna do everything he can to lock the next head coach in for 10 years.

Chip R
04-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Not if Pickens has his way.

Sounds like he's gonna do everything he can to lock the next head coach in for 10 years.

And we all know that when a coach signs a deal to be there a certain length of time he always stays there for that long.

But let's say that Okie St.'s new coach does stay 10 years. By then he'll be 55. He might have won a national championship or 2 and decided that he wanted to stop coaching a couple of years earlier. He gets an ESPN gig and sits out a year or two. All of a sudden that Okie St. job comes open and he goes home to coach there. Or he stays at KU 20 more years. He's 65 then and no one's going to crucify him for taking the Okie St. job then.

WMR
04-09-2008, 03:53 PM
1st tier:
UK- All-time winningest program ... 7 National Championships ... Dominance in every decade

UNC- 2nd All-Time winningest program ... 4 National Championships ... AMAZING amount of players sent to the NBA

UCLA- 11 National Championships

BRM
04-09-2008, 03:57 PM
This is a Championship game thread. :rolleyes:

dabvu2498
04-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Kansas -- 3 National championships, 3rd all-time winningest program, 51 regular season conference championships (more than Kentucky, BTW)

WMR
04-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Kansas -- 3 National championships, 3rd all-time winningest program, 51 regular season conference championships (more than Kentucky, BTW)

Not enough National Championships. Winning the one this year doesn't vault them into super-elite status. If they win one more then yes.

WMR
04-09-2008, 04:01 PM
This is a Championship game thread. :rolleyes:

:censored:

dabvu2498
04-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Not enough National Championships. Winning the one this year doesn't vault them into super-elite status. If they win one more then yes.

So that means Indiana is a top tier program since they have 5?

WMR
04-09-2008, 04:05 PM
So that means Indiana is a top tier program since they have 5?

I would rank them at the absolute top of the 2nd tier but would rank them 2nd tier due to the extreme amount of time since their last championship.

I would rank them above Kansas, however.

I rank IU below UNC b/c of the insane amount of players sent to the league by UNC, denoting their super-elite status.

dabvu2498
04-09-2008, 04:10 PM
I would rank them at the absolute top of the 2nd tier but would rank them 2nd tier due to the extreme amount of time since their last championship.

I would rank them above Kansas, however.

Based on what? Number of championships? Because in most every other category, KU has them beat.

WMR
04-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Yep.

dabvu2498
04-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Yep.

IU's championships are fading into irrelevance rather quickly.

No offense, BRM.

WMR
04-09-2008, 04:15 PM

No offense, BRM.

I agree with you.

Still, five championships is five championships.

dabvu2498
04-09-2008, 04:17 PM
I agree with you.

Still, five championships is five championships.

In that case, so are the two won by the program you refered to as "third tier" earlier in this thread. (Okie State)

BRM
04-09-2008, 04:19 PM

No offense, BRM.

I'm deeply offended. :angry:

WMR
04-09-2008, 04:20 PM
:lol: Those back to back championships in '45 and '46?

dabvu2498
04-09-2008, 04:21 PM
:lol: Those back to back championships in '45 and '46?

Two championships is two championships.

WMR
04-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Two championships is two championships.

Yeah, it is. And it's nowhere near five. Nor have they won a Championship in the last sixty years. When was IU's last? 20 years ago? Quite a big difference.

BRM
04-09-2008, 04:26 PM
San Francisco went back to back as well. Where are they on the list?

dabvu2498
04-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Yeah, it is. And it's nowhere near five. Nor have they won a Championship in the last sixty years. When was IU's last? 20 years ago? Quite a big difference.

We're not comparing Okie State and Indiana, WMR. I just wanted to point out that you refered to Okie State as third tier even though they have two banners hanging in their gym. Since that seems to be your primary guide for your tier system.

We're comparing Kansas and Indiana.

Right now, if you ranked these programs as far as "prestige" for whatever that's worth, you'd put Indiana ahead of Kansas. And I think you're 100% wrong.

BRM
04-09-2008, 04:27 PM
What about U of L? Surely they have to be at least third tier.

dabvu2498
04-09-2008, 04:28 PM
San Francisco went back to back as well. Where are they on the list?

Third tier, along with Cincinnati, Louisville, UConn, Florida, NC State, and Mich State.

BRM
04-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Third tier, along with Cincinnati, Louisville, UConn, Florida, NC State, and Mich State.

Everyone with two titles is third tier, huh? Good call.

BRM
04-09-2008, 04:31 PM
We're comparing Kansas and Indiana.

Right now, if you ranked these programs as far as "prestige" for whatever that's worth, you'd put Indiana ahead of Kansas. And I think you're 100% wrong.

I have to agree with you, even as an avid IU fan.

dabvu2498
04-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Everyone with two titles is third tier, huh? Good call.

I think so. :D

dabvu2498
04-09-2008, 04:32 PM
I have to agree with you, even as an avid IU fan.

Quit being so objective!

BRM
04-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Quit being so objective!

This is how I chill.

dabvu2498
04-09-2008, 04:37 PM
I think I did a top ten a while back, in no particular order, but if you MADE me rank programs in order of "prestige" right now, I'd go with:

1. UNC
2. UCLA (history and 3 straight Final 4s)
3. Kansas
4. UK
5. Duke (that hurts to type)

I think that would be my "top tier."

dabvu2498
04-09-2008, 04:38 PM
This is how I chill.

:lol: best ever

BRM
04-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Kansas ahead of UK? You are going to get flogged for that one.

BRM
04-09-2008, 04:41 PM
WMR's top five programs:

1. UK
2. UK
3. UK
4. UK
5. UNC

dabvu2498
04-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Kansas ahead of UK? You are going to get flogged for that one.

I put more stock in the last 5-10 years. That's just me.

dabvu2498
04-09-2008, 04:43 PM
5 years ago I wouldn't have included UCLA, despite the 11 banners.

BRM
04-09-2008, 04:48 PM
I put more stock in the last 5-10 years. That's just me.

I think most recruits do the same.

WMR
04-09-2008, 05:17 PM
What fun would it be if we agreed on everything (anything)?

BRM
04-09-2008, 05:23 PM
What fun would it be if we agreed on everything (anything)?

It wouldn't be fun at all.

WMR
04-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Although I must say, I think if Dab even DID agree with me, he'd argue the other side just for the hell of it.

BRM
04-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Although I must say, I think if Dab even DID agree with me, he'd argue the other side just for the hell of it.

I don't think he would, I KNOW he would. He loves it. :)

joshnky
04-09-2008, 06:34 PM

I think you're joking but maybe not. Louisville has to be second tier right behind the top five programs you listed in another posts. Given a rabid fan base (#1 in TV ratings for the tourney 9 yrs running), brand new facilities and a new downtown arena on the way, hall of fame coaches (crum and pitino), and a top program in one of the best basketball conferences in the nation the Louisville job would have to be top ten. They don't have the long history of UK and Indy but the 80s, 90s, and 2000s were all very strong.

dabvu2498
04-10-2008, 09:03 AM

Just preparing you for the courtroom, WMR.

Besides, if you were right every once in a while, I'd agree with you. :cool:

BRM
04-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Besides, if you were right every once in a while, I'd agree with you. :cool:

Zing!

BRM
04-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Andy Katz already has an 08-09 preseason poll. This is insanely early but here you go.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=3337602

dabvu2498
04-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Andy Katz already has an 08-09 preseason poll. This is insanely early but here you go.

That can't be right. Kentucky's not there. I want a re-vote. :D

BRM
04-10-2008, 12:13 PM
That can't be right. Kentucky's not there. I want a re-vote. :D

Kansas is way too high. Second rate programs like their's simply can't be successful in back to back years.

joshnky
04-10-2008, 01:47 PM

Wow. Big East with 4 teams in the top 7 and 7 in the top 25. Pitt will be good but #3 in the nation? Its looking like it may be a down year overall for college basketball with a weaker incoming class and several defections to the NBA.

dabvu2498
04-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Its looking like it may be a down year overall for college basketball with a weaker incoming class and several defections to the NBA.

I'd say you're right. But if that means we have something other than four #1s in the Final 4, I'm all for it.

joshnky
04-10-2008, 03:50 PM
I'd say you're right. But if that means we have something other than four #1s in the Final 4, I'm all for it.

It looks like thise year will be much more wide open than this past season. Lots of teams will be counting on improvements from young players and incoming freshmen. This could be a year for mid-majors like Davidson to make some noise.

Johnny Footstool
04-10-2008, 05:52 PM
KU just announced that Self has agreed in principal to a long-term deal. Details were not disclosed.

BRM
04-10-2008, 05:53 PM
KU just announced that Self has agreed in principal to a long-term deal. Details were not disclosed.

Presser is scheduled for later this afternoon.

Looks like OSU will have to settle for Billy Gillispie. ;)

BRM
04-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Per Andy Katz.

Kansas coach Bill Self said Thursday he will remain in Lawrence rather than flirt with his alma mater Oklahoma State.

In a phone interview with ESPN.com, Self said he spoke with Oklahoma State athletics director Mike Holder on Wednesday night. Holder, Self said, did not discuss money and only asked if Self wanted to come home to Stillwater.

"I couldn't see leaving this place," Self, whose Jayhawks beat Memphis for the national championship on Monday, said of KU. "This is where we want to be."

Kansas has called a 5:30 p.m. ET news conference to discuss Self's decision.

Self said he and the administration would meet soon to discuss a new contract, but there was no rush to finalize one.

"I'm still in shock about how we won," Self said. Kansas trailed Memphis by nine points with 2:12 left in regulation, tied the score on Mario Chalmers' 3-point shot in the closing seconds, then prevailed in overtime. "I'm most proud we made so many plays under pressure."

Self said he didn't want to leave Kansas in the manner he departed Tulsa and Illinois -- without enjoying the full fruits of the program's success.

dabvu2498
04-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Travis Ford has also turned down an offer -- from Providence -- to stay at UMass.

Providence candidate names are still pretty interesting:
Fran Fraschilla, Tim O'Shea, Karl Hobbs, Fran McCaffery, Kevin O'Neill

and... hold on to your hats, OSU fans...

Jim O'Brien!!!

dabvu2498
04-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Some update on Okie State also:

Among names being mentioned for OSU are Southern Illinois' Chris Lowery, Vanderbilt's Kevin Stallings, Pittsburgh's Jamie Dixon and Virginia Commonwealth's Anthony Grant. Speculation also has touched on Billy Gillispie, the former Texas A&M coach currently at Kentucky, but that appears unlikely.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/04/11/0411kansas.html

BRM
04-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Billy G to Okie State!! Let's make it happen!

dabvu2498
04-11-2008, 11:58 AM
BRM -- I saw that post before you edited!!!

A. Grant was "the name" at LSU. The Trent Johnson hiring was kinda out of left field.

BRM
04-11-2008, 12:00 PM
BRM -- I saw that post before you edited!!!

A. Grant was "the name" at LSU. The Trent Johnson hiring was kinda out of left field.

Grant would have been a better hire for them.

Given the list of names in your post above, I'd be going full bore after Jamie Dixon if I were Boone Pickens.

dabvu2498
04-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Grant would have been a better hire for them.

Given the list of names in your post above, I'd be going full bore after Jamie Dixon if I were Boone Pickens.

All those guys are relatively "safe."

And they're certainly not going to have to pay any of them $4mil a year.

BRM
04-11-2008, 12:08 PM
I agree they are all relatively safe. I think Dixon really energizes the program though. Not as much as Billy G but close. ;)