PDA

View Full Version : Sunday April 6th minor league updates

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Louisville plays at 2:00. Adam Pettyjohn is starting for the Bats.

Chattannoga plays a doubleheader beginning at 3:00. Ben Jukich and Justin Mallett are scheduled to start the two games for the Lookouts

Dayton starts at 3:00 with lefty Andrew Bowman pitching.

Sarasota begins at 1:00 with Daniel Guerrero pitching. I was hoping to see Travis Wood today, guess he'll go tomorrow.

dougdirt
04-06-2008, 11:40 AM

Chattannoga plays a doubleheader beginning at 3:00. Ben Jukich and Justin Mallett are scheduled to start the two games for the Lookouts

Sarasota begins at 1:00 with Daniel Guerrero pitching. I was hoping to see Travis Wood today, guess he'll go tomorrow.

Wood is the #5 guy for Sarasota. Can't wait until he goes out there because he was pitching well in the spring.

I am pretty interested in seeing how Bowman does as well. He is an interesting guy.

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2008, 11:48 AM
I'd love to see Travis Wood have a big breakout season. Behind Matt Maloney the Reds don't have a whole lot of left handed starting pitching in the minors. It's one of the biggest reasons I'm hoping Brian Matusz somehow falls to the Reds at #7. But back to Wood, if he can return to where he was in 2006 it would be huge for the organization. Hopefully he can stay healthy because he's got the stuff to pitch in the major leagues.

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Sarasota trails 3-0 in the 3rd.

Louwsma doubled for the only hit so far.

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Valaika singled and then Stubbs singled to drive in two. He then stolen his second base of the season.

icehole3
04-06-2008, 03:09 PM
you gotta like the start Stubbs is having right?

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Characters/groucho-marx.gif

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Dayton is underway. Todd Frazier singles in his first atbat.

Bowman threw a 1-2-3 1st inning with a K.

kcjones
04-06-2008, 03:38 PM

Chattanooga game

after two innings no score

Jukich gets three strickeouts in the second inning

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Bowman: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K

camisadelgolf
04-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Why is Justin Mallett a starter? I understand that the Reds aren't exactly loaded with better options, but Mallett is, from what I hear, considered to be a non-prospect, lacks command and control, and is old for his level. Maybe Krivsky and his guys see something in Mallett that the previous regimes didn't?

camisadelgolf
04-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Bowman: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K

His debut was disastrous, but I really like his potential. I'm expecting big things from him. Does anyone have some information on him? I thought Baseball America was a little pessimistic about him when he was drafted (this isn't paid content).

Drew Bowman entered 2004 as one of the top high school lefties in the nation, but his velocity dropped and a commitment to Arizona State clouded his signability, so he fell to the Brewers in the 21st round. He redshirted in 2005 and pitched sparingly in 2006, prompting his transfer to Nebraska. Scouts have seen him touch 93 with his lively fastball this spring, but they'd like to see more of him to know if he's legitimate. In the last seven weeks before the NCAA regionals, he made two appearances and retired just one of the seven batters he faced. Bowman's secondary pitches are inconsistent, and there are questions about his mental toughness.

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Jukich: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Sarasota losa 8-5 in 10 innings.

Stubbs: 1-for-5
Valaika: 1-for-5

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Frazier and Waring are 1-for-2 with singles. 2-0 Dayton.

Bowman was pulled after three.

3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K

Kc61
04-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Doug, is Stubbs healthy this year?

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Majewski blew the Louisville lead and took a loss:

1.2 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 2 K

Bruce had the day off.

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Mike McKennon hit a 2-run HR to give Dayton a 3-0 lead. Todd Frazier is 2-for-3 with two singles.

icehole3
04-06-2008, 05:01 PM
isnt he eating up innings for another prospect, when will it end

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Animations/doh.gif

fearofpopvol1
04-06-2008, 05:03 PM

Bruce had the day off.

Better it be Louisville than Cincinnati.

CTA513
04-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Better it be Louisville than Cincinnati.

:beerme:

roborobj
04-06-2008, 05:28 PM
BJ Sysmanski just hit a grand slam home run in the eighth inning for the Lookouts.

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Roenicke allowed an unearned run in the 7th to tie the game.

1 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Chattanooga won game 1 of the DH 8-4.

B.J. Szymanski went 2-for-3 with a double and a grand slam.

Carlos Fisher threw a 1-2-3 inning with a strikeout to end the game.

Benihana
04-06-2008, 07:32 PM
is Carlos Fisher a reliever now?

princeton
04-06-2008, 07:40 PM
B.J. Szymanski went 2-for-3 with a double and a grand slam.

the corpse breathes?

the Monster is ALIVE!

medford
04-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Why is Justin Mallett a starter? I understand that the Reds aren't exactly loaded with better options, but Mallett is, from what I hear, considered to be a non-prospect, lacks command and control, and is old for his level. Maybe Krivsky and his guys see something in Mallett that the previous regimes didn't?

I became a fan of Mallett when he was with the dragons. He's always been a below the radar prospect, that I thought had potential to reach the majors as a reliver. He was somewhat of a late bloomer (I think he even got cut from his HS baseball team when he transferred to a new school his senior year, though perhaps the coach was just playing favorites w/ players that had been at that school longer). He caught on w/ a JC somewhere and put up decent numbers. He appeared to have a so-so fastball with a great changeup when I saw him pitch for the Dragons a couple of times. I know he was suspended at some point for violating mlb drug policies (for what I'm not sure).

My guess is that they start him because he has the frame to handle the load, and he's not really a late innings closer, so this probably gives him more regular work in hopes that he develops into something servicable at somepoint, perhaps a long reliver type if there are a rash if injuries and they need someone to fill in. At this point is unlikely that he'll reach the majors w/ the Reds, his track was really thrown off by that suspension (I think it may have been the 50 game type), but I imagine there is still a glimmer of hope. I'm not sure how he looks now, but his change up was very, very nice when pitching for the Dragons. Plus he's always put up decent numbers at every stop along the way, well at least until the suspension, I'm not exactly sure how he did last year.

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2008, 08:02 PM
is Carlos Fisher a reliever now?

Yup. Very good move to switch him to a reliever IMO. He could be a decent starting pitcher in the majors but a great setup man. Pushing him to the pen accelerates his ETA to the majors. Don't be surprised to see him in Cincy late this summer if he has a nice season in the minors.

camisadelgolf
04-06-2008, 08:12 PM
I became a fan of Mallett when he was with the dragons. He's always been a below the radar prospect, that I thought had potential to reach the majors as a reliver. He was somewhat of a late bloomer (I think he even got cut from his HS baseball team when he transferred to a new school his senior year, though perhaps the coach was just playing favorites w/ players that had been at that school longer). He caught on w/ a JC somewhere and put up decent numbers. He appeared to have a so-so fastball with a great changeup when I saw him pitch for the Dragons a couple of times. I know he was suspended at some point for violating mlb drug policies (for what I'm not sure).

My guess is that they start him because he has the frame to handle the load, and he's not really a late innings closer, so this probably gives him more regular work in hopes that he develops into something servicable at somepoint, perhaps a long reliver type if there are a rash if injuries and they need someone to fill in. At this point is unlikely that he'll reach the majors w/ the Reds, his track was really thrown off by that suspension (I think it may have been the 50 game type), but I imagine there is still a glimmer of hope. I'm not sure how he looks now, but his change up was very, very nice when pitching for the Dragons. Plus he's always put up decent numbers at every stop along the way, well at least until the suspension, I'm not exactly sure how he did last year.

Thank you for the info; it's very informative.

LouisvilleCARDS
04-06-2008, 09:57 PM

Bruce had the day off.

Wow. When is enough going to be enough and the Reds organization gives up on this guy?

HokieRed
04-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Syzmanski hit another home run in the second game. Have we got a story brewing here? Wouldn't a breakout from this guy be fantastic? I'm hoping this is his year.

AmarilloRed
04-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Wow. When is enough going to be enough and the Reds organization gives up on this guy?

After the season at the very latest. Majewski is eligible for arbitration in the off-season, so I imagine the Reds would not offer him arbitration.

princeton
04-07-2008, 06:19 AM
Syzmanski hit another home run in the second game. Have we got a story brewing here? Wouldn't a breakout from this guy be fantastic? I'm hoping this is his year.

still striking out like his old self. BJ has always been the ultimate Hit-or-Miss prospect.