PDA

View Full Version : Media: Why this need to compare Volquez and Cueto?

ChatterRed
04-07-2008, 12:04 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20080406&content_id=2497839&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

There's like this need to pit the two of them against eachother for bragging rights. I'm personally getting sick of it.

I like them both and see them both having great performances from time to time.

Texas is going to look stupid eventually for trading him.

RedsFan2008
04-07-2008, 12:21 AM
You dont know that. Josh is probably going to be a stud for them, and there is still a part of me that wishes we didnt let him go. Pitchers can be iffy, and it is going to be hard to be able to keep both Cueto and Volquez in the long run.

mound_patrol
04-07-2008, 12:46 AM
You dont know that. Josh is probably going to be a stud for them, and there is still a part of me that wishes we didnt let him go. Pitchers can be iffy, and it is going to be hard to be able to keep both Cueto and Volquez in the long run.

And it would be easier to keep Hamilton how? I do that trade any day of the wek. Both were high risk high reward guys, and I'd rather go with the pitcher in that situation.

ChatterRed
04-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Absolutely, especially with Jay Bruce waiting in the wings.

podgejeff_
04-07-2008, 11:59 AM
While Volquez looks like a great pickup, Hamilton is currently tearing it up for Texas, posting almost a 1.000 OPS.

It just looks like one of those trades that might work out for both sides. This team needed quality starting pitching far more than they needed another big offense outfielder.

Jharb74
04-07-2008, 03:35 PM
There's like this need to pit the two of them against eachother for bragging rights. I'm personally getting sick of it.

I like them both and see them both having great performances from time to time.

I hate to be the one to say it, but the media is comparing them because they are both young and hispanic. The shallow media would compare them if they were young and any ethnicity.

zanetdaniels
04-07-2008, 03:38 PM
It could be a good thing....a little friendly competition. They seem to be pretty fun loving guys that might benefit from a little healthy competition. No biggie in my opinion.

jmble
04-07-2008, 05:00 PM
I think they are just comparing them because they are both young and both have a high ceiling. I don't think it has anything to do with hispanic. I think if it was Cueto and Bailey in the rotation, we'd be seeing the same thing from the local media at the least. Everytime Cueto pitched we'd be hearing questions of whether we will get the same thing from Bailey. I really don't think the media is pitting them against eachother. I think this is just a fun time. We aren't used to having two young guys with this much potential on the team at the same time.