PDA

View Full Version : No More Backwards Racer At Kings Island

Roy Tucker
04-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Bummer. I always thought the backwards Racer was kinda cool and the line was always short. Also good for a case of whiplash. Park management's reason seems lame.

http://www.fox19.com/Global/story.asp?S=8118165

No More Backwards Racer At Kings Island

Posted: April 4, 2008 09:36 AM EDT

(MASON, OH) -- Something old is new again at Kings Island, as the backward traveling trains on the Racer roller coaster will run forward again when the park opens for the 2008 season on Sunday, April 20 at 10:00 a.m.

The decision to run both sides of the Racer forward again after 26 years with one side facing backward was made in an effort to be consistent with other Cedar Fair parks. The Red Racer trains will be on the former backward side, with the Blue Racer trains on the other side.

The Racer has been a mainstay at Kings Island, and with good reason. A lot of facts and figures have been bandied about concerning the coaster - top height is 88 feet, the course is three-fifths of a mile long, speed is 53.3 miles an hour and the angle of the first drop is 50 degrees.

More than 91,000,000 guests have taken a ride on the Racer since it opened in 1972 with the park.

Falls City Beer
04-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Bummer. I always thought the backwards Racer was kinda cool and the line was always short. Also good for a case of whiplash. Park management's reason seems lame.

http://www.fox19.com/Global/story.asp?S=8118165

Must conform! *robot voice*

Must follow corporate!

dabvu2498
04-07-2008, 09:00 AM
91,000,000 wow.

rotnoid
04-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Why ride then? I'm not impressed with the Racer going forward. They should have just made them both go in reverse. That's the only reason I ever waited to ride.

Unassisted
04-07-2008, 10:14 AM
The public reason sounds like a smokescreen. More likely there is some unstated hazard that made the risk analysis people drop the hammer.

Falls City Beer
04-07-2008, 10:17 AM
The public reason sounds like a smokescreen. More likely there is some unstated hazard that made the risk analysis people drop the hammer.

For 35 years it ran without a major lawsuit or injury to speak of. I don't doubt that insurance was the reason, but frankly, in the risk/reward matrix, I doubt corporate comes out ahead here at all.

Cyclone792
04-07-2008, 11:23 AM
91,000,000 wow.

I haven't been to Kings Island since high school, but I went quite a few times while in high school. Several times I was there, the Racer was pretty much the only rollercoaster without any line to speak of. I was there with some friends, and we just kept riding the Racer over and over. Walk right in, hop right on, ride the coaster, hop off the coaster, then walk right back in, etc.

For about 90 minutes we were pretty much on every other session.

Yachtzee
04-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Must conform! *robot voice*

Must follow corporate!

If they really want to make Kings Island conform, they'll change the name of it to the "Gemini."

Roy Tucker
04-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Being the only idiot parent in the neighborhood still willing to ride rides, I usually end up taking my youngest daughter and 3-4 neighbor kids to King's Island several times a year and ride the rides with them.

What Cyclone said about the Racer is pretty much true, you can ride it over and over without much of a wait at all. I think one time we rode it 21 times straight just... because. I felt it for days.

The backwards one is pretty rough and if you don't brace yourself appropriately, you can get whipped around pretty good. We usually do the "race" thing and split off for the frontwards and backwards one and race.

But then again, I'm an old guy and all the rides seem rough to me now.

15fan
04-07-2008, 12:28 PM
As a teen, the backwards Racer was always one of the highlights, IMO, of a trip to Kings Island.

As a not-so-teen-anymore, I'm not sure how I'd fare.

Drag that they won't be running it backwards any more.

My guess is that the decreased ridership then allows them to justify ripping it down and building something new.

Patrick Bateman
04-07-2008, 01:04 PM
I haven't been to Kings Island since high school, but I went quite a few times while in high school. Several times I was there, the Racer was pretty much the only rollercoaster without any line to speak of. I was there with some friends, and we just kept riding the Racer over and over. Walk right in, hop right on, ride the coaster, hop off the coaster, then walk right back in, etc.

For about 90 minutes we were pretty much on every other session.

I once did that on the Indian Jones ride in DisneyLand. Usually the lines are insanely huge... like an hour easily before the fast pass arrived.

But we once stayed fairly late at night and it seemed that almost everyone left the park. That left the Indiana Jones ride with zero line. We went on at least 8 times in succession.

Blimpie
04-07-2008, 05:27 PM
I guess I am getting old. I remember riding it when both red and blue faced forwards the first time....

RedFanAlways1966
04-07-2008, 08:59 PM
I guess I am getting old. I remember riding it when both red and blue faced forwards the first time....

Me too. I am also old enough to remember the 1st airing of the Brady Bunch riding it. Maybe not Greg... he was too busy hitting on the girl running the football toss (no, no... I see him below!).

In those days the Racer and the much-much smaller Scooby Doo (in what was then called Hanna Barbara Land) were the only roller coasters in the park.

http://www.kicentral.com/history/images/brady.jpg

MasonBuzz3
04-08-2008, 12:37 AM
as a teen growing up in Mason, I had quite a few memorable time on the Racer, especially the backwards variety. I am sorry for today's Mason area youth, the girls used to love that ride

cincyinco
04-08-2008, 03:38 AM
A colorado native here, made sure to visit Ohio's great parks several times.. backwards racer is always one that sticks in my mind. The Beast of course too.. and The Vortex? Is that it? can't remember.

Shame to hear its gone..

WebScorpion
04-08-2008, 01:32 PM
In those days the Racer and the much-much smaller Scooby Doo (in what was then called Hanna Barbara Land) were the only roller coasters in the park.

Wasn't there also a coaster brought up from old Coney Island? ...or was the Racer from Coney originally? ...no, I'm sure the Racer was born at KI. There was another one from old Coney...It was an old steel one like the Galaxy in Kings Dominion. Anybody... anybody... anybody... Bueller?

Spring~Fields
04-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Being the only idiot parent in the neighborhood still willing to ride rides, I usually end up taking my youngest daughter and 3-4 neighbor kids to King's Island several times a year and ride the rides with them.

I think that is absolutely wonderful. You are giving them a great time on those days and memories to enjoy that they will never forget.

Roy Tucker
04-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Wasn't there also a coaster brought up from old Coney Island? ...or was the Racer from Coney originally? ...no, I'm sure the Racer was born at KI. There was another one from old Coney...It was an old steel one like the Galaxy in Kings Dominion. Anybody... anybody... anybody... Bueller?

Good question. I did find this at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_Island. I've ridden the Beastie a few thousand times.

Other coasters present in 1972 were the Bavarian Beetle, a small steel coaster brought over from Coney Island (and removed in 1979); and Scooby-Doo, a wooden coaster (renamed "The Beastie" in 1979; and renamed again as "Fairly Odd Coaster" for 2006) located in the park's Nickelodeon Universe area.

More backwards stuff...

Another star attraction is the Racer, which consists of twin wooden roller coasters that race each other side-by-side. Designed by legendary designer John Allen, The Racer is credited by many people with starting the second golden age of the roller coaster. In 1982, the trains on the right side of the Racer were turned backward, freshening up an old favorite. (Many coaster enthusiasts have nicknamed the backwards train "raceR".)The right side of Racer no longer operates backwards. Both sides are forward for the 2008 season.

and...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/84/Acer-racer.jpg/800px-Acer-racer.jpg

WMR
04-08-2008, 02:01 PM
I think that is absolutely wonderful. You are giving them a great time on those days and memories to enjoy that they will never forget.

Yeah, Roy, you sound like a great dad.

acredsfan
04-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Good question. I did find this at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_Island. I've ridden the Beastie a few thousand times.

More backwards stuff...

and...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/84/Acer-racer.jpg/800px-Acer-racer.jpgDoes anybody else think the last line of the sign should say "an integral PART of Kings Island's..."?

HeatherC1212
04-08-2008, 11:55 PM
The only reason I ever ride the Racer now is to go backwards. That's a bummer that it won't be running that way anymore. :(

Hollcat
04-09-2008, 02:18 PM

I was at Kings Dominion last June and I don't recall a coaster named Galaxy.

CrackerJack
04-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Very fond memories of KI in the 70's growing up, and it's easy to forget it was only built in 1972, thought it was built in 1970 or 68 though? Guess I am forgetting.

It's really too bad they did-away with the whole Hanna Barbara theme, the midway rides, slide, etc..., I'm sure there are many out there in their 30's who remember the way the park used to be in the 70's and 80's, and miss it - even the old train ride.

I haven't been to KI since the year they opened up Son Of Beast, so, no idea what things are like now, need to get out there this summer. My girlfriend/fiancee is a wuss. :)

Cedar Point rules, I AM glad that Cedar Fair bought KI, Paramount almost ruined the place with their corporate model movie tie-ins and poor management.

HeatherC1212
04-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Cedar Point rules, I AM glad that Cedar Fair bought KI. Paramount almost ruined the place with their corporate model movie tie-ins and poor management.

I am too (I LOVE Cedar Point!) and hopefully they can get things better. I haven't been to KI in a while and I'm looking forward to seeing what CF does with it.

TeamCasey
04-09-2008, 06:56 PM
I loved the Racer but stopped riding it because of the neck pain.