PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Guevara

TRF
04-07-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't see him on the Padres' 25 man roster, see no transaction disabling him or any trade with the Reds. Any info on him?

camisadelgolf
04-07-2008, 04:14 PM
He's on the DL with a strained right groin.

BRM
They put him on the 15 day DL on March 26th.

Joseph
Check the DL.

edabbs44
04-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Not sure if you heard, but rumor has it he is on the DL. :)

lollipopcurve
04-07-2008, 04:28 PM
the ole Rule V DL, that is

TRF
04-07-2008, 04:33 PM
So, he's on the DL?

They must really like him. :) I think Burton got DL'd last year too.

SarasotaFan
04-07-2008, 06:46 PM
So, he's on the DL?

They must really like him. :) I think Burton got DL'd last year too.
not once, but twice...

G is on the DL - this gives the Padres more time to check him out and see if they really wanna keep him on the 25 man the rest of the year...

sasda
04-11-2008, 07:36 AM
Does anyone has clips of Guevara pitching screwball?

Orenda
04-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Does anybody know how long the Padres can keep someone on the 15 day DL? Even if that is business days he should have been activated or sent on a rehab assignment by now, right? That must be one severe pulled groin.

princeton
04-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Does anybody know how long the Padres can keep someone on the 15 day DL? Even if that is business days he should have been activated or sent on a rehab assignment by now, right? That must be one severe pulled groin.

he can be kept on DL for a long time, but if not on the 25 man roster for a minimum amount of time for the entire season (what is it, 90 days?) then he'd have to be offered back to the Reds.

Teams like to make sure that 30 of the days spent in the bigs come in September, when larger rosters are permitted. The Reds did that with Jared Burton last year-- DL'd him for a significant period of time, then made sure that 30 of his major league days came in September.

redsmetz
04-30-2008, 06:54 PM
One recent twist though is that the time he is required to stay on the 40 man can overlap into next season if he's on the DL for a certain length of time. I don't have time to check it now, but I'll see if I can find the reference.

princeton
05-01-2008, 09:09 AM
One recent twist though is that the time he is required to stay on the 40 man can overlap into next season if he's on the DL for a certain length of time. I don't have time to check it now, but I'll see if I can find the reference.

25 man, not 40 man.

and it's true that he can be active for 30 days at end of 2008, then for 60 days in 2009, after which the team can option him to the minors.

mbgrayson
05-04-2008, 12:02 PM
As of today, it looks like Guevara is still hurt. He is not even playing a 'rehab' assignment in the minors as far as I can see.

Once he goes on rehab, he can only do so for 30 days...
A disabled player may be assigned to a Minor League Club for injury rehabilitation for up to 20-days for position players. Pitchers can be granted as many as 30-days of Minor League Rehab.

Interesting Rule 5 reference is HERE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_5_draft).

To prevent the abuse of the Rule 5 draft, the rule also states that the draftee must be active for at least 90 days. This keeps teams from drafting players, then placing them on the disabled list for the majority of the season. For example, if a Rule 5 draftee was only active for 67 days in his first season with his new club, he must be active for an additional 23 games in his second season to satisfy the Rule 5 requirements.

I can't find the full text of the actual rules anywhere. Does anyone know if there is a minimum number of active days the first year? Can the Padres disable Guevara all year, and then push his full 90 day active roster requirement on into 2009?

HERE (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20080312&content_id=2421928&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp) is an article from this March that discusses Rule 5 on the MLB web site.

And HERE (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/03/26/sports/padres/ea0e5316b07e472b882574180064c10d.txt) is an article on San Diego's use of the Rule 5, that mentions Guevara.

Screwball
05-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Despite the efforts to prevent abuse of the Rule V draft, allowing teams two seasons to satisfy the 90 days stipulation seems to leave plenty of room for abuse. Put a guy on the DL for 5 months one year and 4 months the next, and you still satisfy the 90-day requirement.

I'd rather see the rule amended such that the 90-days must be fulfilled in one season, or the player has to be returned to the original team.

texasdave
05-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Despite the efforts to prevent abuse of the Rule V draft, allowing teams two seasons to satisfy the 90 days stipulation seems to leave plenty of room for abuse. Put a guy on the DL for 5 months one year and 4 months the next, and you still satisfy the 90-day requirement.

I'd rather see the rule amended such that the 90-days must be fulfilled in one season, or the player has to be returned to the original team.

I was thinking the same thing. Doesn't that rule essentially give a team two years to look at a player before deciding whether to send him back or not? Or am I reading that incorrectly?

princeton
05-05-2008, 08:36 AM

but the team has to pay more major league salary, the player gets little development time at a crucial developmental period in his career, and yet the player gets much closer to arbitration. And even the best of these players rarely gets good in his pre-arbitration years.

you can worry about Rule 5 abuses if you'd like-- the price per claim really should be higher, because it hasn't changed in 30 years-- but IMO there are better things to get miffed about.

redsmetz
05-05-2008, 02:23 PM
25 man, not 40 man.

and it's true that he can be active for 30 days at end of 2008, then for 60 days in 2009, after which the team can option him to the minors.

Princeton, I'm late getting back to the conversation. Thanks for correcting my mistake. I knew it's the 25 man, just typed the wrong one! :redface:

11larkin11
06-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Welcome to the bigs Guevara! First outing on Monday was great, 2 Ks in 1 inning of work. Second outing Tuesday, gave up a double to Aramis Ramirez but got out of the inning, but the second inning of work he gave up a single to Cedeno, walk to Theriot, then Soriano gives his welcome with a 3 run HR in Petco Park.

mbgrayson
06-06-2008, 02:07 AM
Before his San Diego call up, he also pitched in 5 'rehab' games in AAA Portland:

6 innings pitched, 2 hits, 1 BB, 5 Ks, 0 runs allowed. His full stats are HERE (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Carlos%20Guevara&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=454581).

I'm guessing San Diego will be able to keep him on their roster.

Hoosier Red
06-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Better or worse than Herrara?

That's pretty much what it boils down to and the Reds weren't going to keep both.

I suppose he could have had some trade value, but given that enough teams passed on him to get to SD makes me doubt he had a ton of that.

Wtbs, Good luck to ya Carlos, I hope your stay in the majors is long and fortuitous.

TRF
06-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Better or worse than Herrara?

That's pretty much what it boils down to and the Reds weren't going to keep both.

I suppose he could have had some trade value, but given that enough teams passed on him to get to SD makes me doubt he had a ton of that.

Wtbs, Good luck to ya Carlos, I hope your stay in the majors is long and fortuitous.

Better and likely closer to the majors too, though their debuts were close, Guevara is still pitching with SD and Herrera is back with L'ville. Krivsky traded for something he already had. He did that a lot.

Hoosier Red
06-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Better and likely closer to the majors too, though their debuts were close, Guevara is still pitching with SD and Herrera is back with L'ville. Krivsky traded for something he already had. He did that a lot.

That's not really a fair comparison though. Maybe he'd still be up with SD if it wasn't required to keep him in the organization. If it was required for Herrara to still be up, no doubt the Reds would have done it.

TRF
06-09-2008, 08:42 AM
That's not really a fair comparison though. Maybe he'd still be up with SD if it wasn't required to keep him in the organization. If it was required for Herrara to still be up, no doubt the Reds would have done it.

I think the better point was there was no reason to lose him in the first place.