PDA

View Full Version : The reds have traded Jon Countlangus

SanDiegoRed
04-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Per Trent's Blog
http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog

Degenerate39
04-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Wayne really loves those Left Handed Outfielders doesn't he? Bad trade for the Reds, IMO.

RedsFan2008
04-07-2008, 06:41 PM
I disagree. I think that we have pitching set out pretty nicely. We traded a 27 year old pitcher for a young, talented OF. I like the move.

Rounding Third
04-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Better than nothing.

Handofdeath
04-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Hit .337/.395/.439 for USC his Jr. year in 2006.

SarasotaFan
04-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Hit .337/.395/.439 for USC his Jr. year in 2006.
That's college...metal bats

Handofdeath
04-07-2008, 07:06 PM
That's college...metal bats

Really?!!? When did this start happening?

SarasotaFan
04-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Really?!!? When did this start happening.?

i guess you think that just cause a player can hit with a metal he'll hit with a wood ?

NorrisHopper30
04-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Another left handed OF..not a bad trade though - Coutlangus wasn't going to do much.

Maybe this means the Reds are trading an OF or 2 soon?

RedsFan2008
04-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Another left handed OF..not a bad trade though - Coutlangus wasn't going to do much.

Maybe this means the Reds are trading an OF or 2 soon?

Jay Bruce?:confused:

smoke6
04-07-2008, 07:34 PM
What's the dude's name? I'm having trouble opening teh article.

NorrisHopper30
04-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Jay Bruce?:confused:

Freel's name has been popping up, i've seen Hopper around too. You never know with Krivsky though.

NorrisHopper30
04-07-2008, 07:36 PM
What's the dude's name? I'm having trouble opening teh article.

Daniel Perales

Handofdeath
04-07-2008, 09:25 PM
i guess you think that just cause a player can hit with a metal he'll hit with a wood ?

I see no reason why success with one guarantees failure with another. Perhaps it would have been better if in your original post you had simply pointed out that college success does not always translate to success in professional baseball. I would agree with that statement. Perhaps you merely meant to criticize the use of metal bats in NCAA baseball. I would agree with that as well. My point was that in addition to his successful first season in A ball, Daniel Perales had a very good career as a college hitter. Ergo, the Reds acquired a pretty good hitting OF prospect from the Diamondbacks low minors. Do you disagree? If so, why? The use of metal bats is not a good reason. Many good, even great, MLB hitters played in college and used metal bats. If you disagree with me, give me a good reason why.

Rounding Third
04-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Freel's name has been popping up, i've seen Hopper around too. You never know with Krivsky though.

Bruce is strickly off limits and has been.

AmarilloRed
04-07-2008, 11:03 PM
The gist of the article for those having trouble opening it(I had no trouble however):

The Reds traded LHP Jon Coutlangus to Arizona for minor league OF Daniel Perales.

From the Reds:

Perales, 23, was selected by Arizona in the 22nd round of the June 2006 first-year player draft...last season at Class A South Bend he hit .282 and led the Diamondbacks organization with 92rbi while ranking among the Midwest League leaders in hits (156, 1st), extra base hits (58, 1st), doubles (32, 5th), runs scored (80, 3rd) and triples (10, 3rd)...he has been assigned to FSL Sarasota.

Coutlangus, 27, was designated for assignment as 1 of 11 roster moves.

It seems we got potentially a good player for Coutlangas.

ChatterRed
04-08-2008, 01:20 AM
I see nothing wrong with this trade.

redsupport
04-08-2008, 01:34 AM
yes they received a player with the initials of Don Pavletich

fugowitribe
04-08-2008, 10:26 AM
I read all the way through the articles on here and is anyone else thinking that Brad Lidge was kind of a jerk when he said "Who cares, He's out" when asked about ball 4 to Javy?

SarasotaFan
04-08-2008, 02:00 PM
I read all the way through the articles on here and is anyone else thinking that Brad Lidge was kind of a jerk when he said "Who cares, He's out" when asked about ball 4 to Javy?

Nope. I took it as he didn't want the media to make a big deal out of it, so he gave them a short and sweet answer and let it be. End of discussion. Sometimes when I read ESPN stories or see stuff floating around the net they always try to take the smallest / stupidest things and make a big deal out of it.

Plus, do you really want a pitcher to say "nah, that was a ball, the umpire blew that call" - If you were an umpire and heard about that (which i'm sure you would especially in this case), you might think about squeezing the zone a little more next time for Lidge. Umps can play favorites too.

redlegsmustache
04-08-2008, 03:11 PM
If so, why? The use of metal bats is not a good reason. Many good, even great, MLB hitters played in college and used metal bats. If you disagree with me, give me a good reason why.

Being able to hit the ball is a talent no doubt about it. However if your hitting it with a bat that acts like a giant spring (metal bat) then your numbers are going to be better. The ball travels a good 30 feet extra with a metal bat so what would be a flyout in "A" ball or MLB, is a home run in NCAA. Their is a reason major leaguers use wood bats... cause its the worse material to hit a ball with. It absorbs energy, and flexes when the ball strikes it. The Reds IMO have enough good fielders all around in their farm system. They need to spend the next two years developing pitchers.

SarasotaFan
04-08-2008, 06:31 PM
I see no reason why success with one guarantees failure with another. Perhaps it would have been better if in your original post you had simply pointed out that college success does not always translate to success in professional baseball. I would agree with that statement. Perhaps you merely meant to criticize the use of metal bats in NCAA baseball. I would agree with that as well. My point was that in addition to his successful first season in A ball, Daniel Perales had a very good career as a college hitter. Ergo, the Reds acquired a pretty good hitting OF prospect from the Diamondbacks low minors. Do you disagree? If so, why? The use of metal bats is not a good reason. Many good, even great, MLB hitters played in college and used metal bats. If you disagree with me, give me a good reason why.
my apologies. i did mean that success in college does not always translate to success in pro ball.

but let me also remind you, that most top tier D1 schools can compete with high A perhaps a AA team, and this guy was in the midwest league. would you not agree ? so i say wait til he's at the AA level before we make too many assumptions on the guy. now he's in the FSL league which so i've heard is pitcher's league due to the size of the parks. but then again, a decent college hitter should still have an advantage because not all the pitcher's "know" how to pitch just yet - they are still learning too

Handofdeath
04-08-2008, 07:30 PM
my apologies. i did mean that success in college does not always translate to success in pro ball.

but let me also remind you, that most top tier D1 schools can compete with high A perhaps a AA team, and this guy was in the midwest league. would you not agree ? so i say wait til he's at the AA level before we make too many assumptions on the guy. now he's in the FSL league which so i've heard is pitcher's league due to the size of the parks. but then again, a decent college hitter should still have an advantage because not all the pitcher's "know" how to pitch just yet - they are still learning too

Fair enough, he was a very good player at USC, a top-tier NCAA program if there ever was one, and he had a good season in A ball. I certainly would like to see him do it at a higher level as well. He has the potential but he has to do it.