PDA

View Full Version : Goodyear council just approved deal

JaxRed
04-07-2008, 11:26 PM
They just got 4th vote they needed. Still going on.

JaxRed
04-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Final vote was unanimous

Reds Freak
04-08-2008, 01:01 AM
Unfortunate, if you ask me...

Reds Fanatic
04-08-2008, 01:07 AM
Sounds like the Reds are probably headed to Arizona starting in 2010.

Goodyear City Council approved the Memorandum of Understanding, the big step in the bringing the Reds to Goodyear.

The vote was 6-0. Joanne Osborne, the council woman who said she was opposed a few weeks ago, was swayed in the last couple of weeks.

The city has stepped forward to fund the $33 million project.

John Allen was at the meeting he passed out Reds hats to the council members after the vote.

Johnny Footstool
04-08-2008, 01:46 AM
Extremely good news for me. I'll get to see the Reds play in my In-Laws' back yard.

WMR
04-08-2008, 01:51 AM
John Allen's reign of terror is now officially permanently a thing of the past. :party:

KittyDuran
04-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Well, it looks like next year's ST will be the last for me. :( I feel more sorry for the fans who have followed the Reds in FL for decades. When I stayed at the Holiday Inn this year - a couple two doors down - were making their IIRC 10th trip and where going to the games with a couple making their 25th trip. Sad...

But on the bright side - I'll be saving over $2,000 in 2010!!!:beerme:

RedlegJake
04-08-2008, 08:16 AM
I'm loving it. Taking a $149 RT dollar special on America West to Phoenix then renting a compact for 99 bucks and heading to Tucson. The Reds won't miss out on fans to watch - Arizona has thousands of Ohio ex-patriates. I lived in Yuma and Phoenix for four years and love the state so this is right up my alley. I do feel for the fans that drive to Florida but with the price of gas nowadays that may be more and more a burden on alot of fans, and airfares aren't much more expensive than driving. The fans I really feel bad for are the ones who have actually moved to Florida for retirement with Reds ST one of their criteria in choosing Florida. But now I know where my sunny retirement years are going to be!

SirFelixCat
04-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Extremely good news for me. I'll get to see the Reds play in my In-Laws' back yard.

I'm thrilled as well, living in Vegas, this is a quick jaunt there and I can spend most of March living it up @ ST!!!!!

BRM
04-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Good news for me too. It's just a day's drive from where I live.

Unassisted
04-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Both sites are nearly equidistant from me, so I'm ambivalent about the location.

What I am excited about is the financial aspect of the deal. The Reds are getting a much nicer facility to prepare the major and minor league teams for their seasons and the organization will save millions on the rights to use it. That leaves the team with more money to spend on players and things in Cincinnati that will improve the fan experience. We need to remember this day in two years time when we're happy that the team's pockets seem so much deeper, because this deal will have contributed to that effect.

Yachtzee
04-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Both sites are nearly equidistant from me, so I'm ambivalent about the location.

What I am excited about is the financial aspect of the deal. The Reds are getting a much nicer facility to prepare the major and minor league teams for their seasons and the organization will save millions on the rights to use it. That leaves the team with more money to spend on players and things in Cincinnati that will improve the fan experience. We need to remember this day in two years time when we're happy that the team's pockets seem so much deeper, because this deal will have contributed to that effect.

Assuming Goodyear doesn't come back and start demanding to rework the deal in 5-10 years if expected growth doesn't materialize. There was a link posted in another thread in which the article gave me the impression that Goodyear's ability to pay for this may be based on an assumed growth rate that would transform Goodyear from the size of Middletown to the size of Cincinnati in about 20 years. That's a huge assumption even with today's growth rate in AZ. If I were the Reds, I would make sure that Goodyear can pay for what they're promising with current revenues rather than revenues expected from that projected future growth. Either that, or they better make sure they have a good escape clause.

Sea Ray
04-08-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm disappointed but I'm not going to be retiring in 20 years anyway. There's just not much to do in Goodyear, AR. In Sarasota you've got beaches, boat rides, the Ringling Museum and a lot of nice restaurants with fresh fish. I don't want to hear any complaining from the Reds about lack of attendance in Goodyear.

BRM
04-08-2008, 12:31 PM
I don't want to hear any complaining from the Reds about lack of attendance in Goodyear.

It's only 20 miles to Phoenix. I can't imagine that I'll be bored when I head down there in 2010.

Benihana
04-08-2008, 12:32 PM
This sucks. :thumbdown

RBA
04-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Yes, easy drive from San Diego. Maybe, I'll find work in Phoenix area when I get out in 2 years. We'll see. Do the Reds need a "Chief of Security" for their Goodyear location?

Joseph
04-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Yes, easy drive from San Diego. Maybe, I'll find work in Phoenix area when I get out in 2 years. We'll see. Do the Reds need a "Chief of Security" for their Goodyear location?

Nows the time to be asking thats for sure.

westofyou
04-08-2008, 12:47 PM
I like that the Reds didn't have to pay money to stay in substandard facilities, that would have been a chump move.

I'm tired of rooting for chumps.

Deepred05
04-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Good news for me too. I have lots of family and some property in Phoenix. I think people will be surprised to find out the attendance for these games. There is a lot of Ohio transplants in these parts:beerme:

redsrule2500
04-08-2008, 12:55 PM
well im dissapointed...

Cyclone792
04-08-2008, 01:06 PM
I like that the Reds didn't have to pay money to stay in substandard facilities, that would have been a chump move.

I'm tired of rooting for chumps.

Yep, that's the deal maker, deal breaker for me too. Save money and receive better facilities or pay more money and receive worse facilities. The Reds need to be going to where the better funding and better facilities are.

Proximity to where I'm at doesn't matter. I'm obviously not driving to Arizona, but I wouldn't be driving to Florida anyway. I'd much rather attend playoff games in GABP than spring training games anyway, and the new deal should help the organization field a better team.

pedro
04-08-2008, 01:26 PM
This sucks. :thumbdown

I think it's great.

It may not be good for the fans in Cincinnati that actually go to spring training but's it's good for the team.

I want a winner. I can't see how this hurts.

fearofpopvol1
04-08-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm not a fan either. I'm big on tradition and just hate to see tradition broken, but such is life I guess.

westofyou
04-08-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm not a fan either. I'm big on tradition and just hate to see tradition broken, but such is life I guess.

Marge broke the tradition when she moved them out of Tampa, since then they've been carpetbaggers lapping up other teams discarded fields and clubhouses.

Triples
04-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Well, it looks like next year's ST will be the last for me. :( I feel more sorry for the fans who have followed the Reds in FL for decades. When I stayed at the Holiday Inn this year - a couple two doors down - were making their IIRC 10th trip and where going to the games with a couple making their 25th trip. Sad...

But on the bright side - I'll be saving over $2,000 in 2010!!!:beerme:

For 2 grand you buy airline tickets(unless of course you're taking 4 or 5 people), hotel and food and still watch them play. And, if you drove to Florida, just think, you'll be able to watch 2 more ball games in time you'd normally be driving back and forthp; not to mention you'll miss all the insane spring break traffic on the KY, TN, GA and FL interstates.

Triples
04-08-2008, 02:39 PM

Traditions have to start somewhere...this means it's time to start a new tradition.

RBA
04-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Where would baseball be if the Giants and Dodgers stayed in their traditional cities? Maybe the Los Angeles Reds????

dabvu2498
04-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Marge broke the tradition when she moved them out of Tampa, since then they've been carpetbaggers lapping up other teams discarded fields and clubhouses.

I could be remembering this incorrectly, but wasn't the Plant City complex built for the Reds?

fearofpopvol1
04-08-2008, 02:45 PM

I know, but Sarasota had been in place for quite some time now and maybe most importantly to me, really since I've been born/following the Reds.

M2
04-08-2008, 02:47 PM
I think it's great.

It may not be good for the fans in Cincinnati that actually go to spring training but's it's good for the team.

I want a winner. I can't see how this hurts.

Except fans in Cincinnati are the team's bread and butter. FWIW, I totally agree with the notion of not paying for substandard facilities.

If Goodyear's willing to pony up the money, then I understand why the Reds are taking it and running to Arizona.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a suitable replacement team in high A (hopefully in the Sally League).

Though I really do wonder if this isn't a precursor to a bigger move in the future. The Reds have moved ST from Florida (which would be easier to get to for Cincinnati fans) to Arizona because, hey, it's smart business. When the GAB gets "old" in another 20 years I wonder if it won't be smart business to move the team out west as well. Who knows, maybe you'll be able to watch Reds home games in Portland in your dotage.

WMR
04-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Except fans in Cincinnati are the team's bread and butter. FWIW, I totally agree with the notion of not paying for substandard facilities.

If Goodyear's willing to pony up the money, then I understand why the Reds are taking it and running to Arizona.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a suitable replacement team in high A (hopefully in the Sally League).

Though I really do wonder if this isn't a precursor to a bigger move in the future. The Reds have moved ST from Florida (which would be easier to get to for Cincinnati fans) to Arizona because, hey, it's smart business. When the GAB gets "old" in another 20 years I wonder if it won't be smart business to move the team out west as well. Who knows, maybe you'll be able to watch Reds home games in Portland in your dotage.

Bite your tongue, man!!!

westofyou
04-08-2008, 02:53 PM
I could be remembering this incorrectly, but wasn't the Plant City complex built for the Reds?

The land became available in connection with a Plant City real estate option that was linked to a close business associate of Marge (Robert C. Martin)

The Reds move to Plant City had all the markings of the Giants building Candlestick, back room real estate deals with nothing but profit driving the bus.

Roy Tucker
04-08-2008, 03:09 PM
In Tampa, Raymond James Stadium is built on the site of Al Lopez Field where the Reds trained till 1987.

KronoRed
04-08-2008, 03:26 PM

Marty will love it:D

pedro
04-08-2008, 03:32 PM

My guess is fans in Cincinnati that actually go to spring training are such a small subset as to be insignificant statistically.

dabvu2498
04-08-2008, 03:46 PM
My guess is fans in Cincinnati that actually go to spring training are such a small subset as to be insignificant statistically.

You might be surprised, particularly if you include all "Reds Country" and not just Cincinnati.

Typically there's a spike in their spring attendance on the weeks the local school systems are on Spring Break. It's not monumental, and certainly not enough to warrant not taking a better deal in Arizona, but it may be a few more than you think.

RBA
04-08-2008, 03:47 PM

Well, if Goodyear grows by 300,000 in the next 20 to 30 years, maybe the Greater Phoenix area can handle two teams? :eek::D

jmcclain19
04-08-2008, 03:53 PM
What this really means is that come 2010 - there will be a huge Redszone party at the jmcclain19 pad.

Best news I've heard in a long, long time.

I'll try to go out to the site in the next couple of weeks and take some photos.

BRM
04-08-2008, 03:56 PM
John Fay has posted a Goodyear Q & A on his blog.

I've been getting a lot of questions on Goodyear. I checked in with John Allen on some of them:

Where is Goodyear? You go west on I-10 out of Phoenix. "With no traffic, it takes me 20 minutes," Allen said. "With traffic, 30 to 25. Goodyear is right off the highway. The facility is five minutes from the I-10."

When will the Reds start training out there? 2010.

How long is the lease? 20 years with two 5-year options.

What happens to the Reds team in the Florida State League? That hasn't been decided yet. The Reds own the franchise. "That's something we have to address," Allen said. "We've had some preliminary discussions."

What happens to the Reds team in the Gulf Coast League? It will be shifted the Arizona League. The GCL team is a half-season league. They don't even charge admission to games. The games are played on the practice fields. The Reds will retain control of the two of their six fields year-round. Goodyear is free to use the other four fields when the Reds aren't in spring training.

Will the Reds year-round rehab operation be moved to Goodyear? Yes.

Are the Reds going to definitely be in Sarasota in 2009? "I assume so," Allen said. "We have until Aug. 1 to exercise our option. We haven't done so yet. But I can't imagine a scenario where we wouldn't."

When does construction on the Reds portion of the project begin? "Probably sometime this fall," Allen said. Goodyear still has to contract with architects and construction companies to do the project. The thought is the same people who designed and built the Cleveland facility will do for the Reds. "Our baseball operations people are already talking about plans," Allen said. "We'll get started right away."

What are the Reds telling fans who wanted the club to stay in Florida? "You can't fool anybody. Phoenix farther than Sarasota, Fla.," Allen said. "But by the same token we have a lot of fans not only in Arizona but in the Southwestern United States -- displaced Ohioans or whatever. It's 14 or 15 games. We'll probably lose same fans, but we 'll compensate with new fans. It's a neat place. Everything is new. There's a lot of development."

How many times will the Reds play the Indians? Probably four. That's what the Rangers and Royals, who share a facility at Surprise, do.

Will we have many 10 p.m. (Cincinnati time) starts? "I don't know," Allen said. "We haven't gotten into scheduling. There will probably be a sprinkling."

jmcclain19
04-08-2008, 03:58 PM
I posted this on another thread - but here is the Google Maps shot of where the new ballpark will be

At Yuma & Estrella Parkway in what now shows up as Farm fields off the Southeast corner of the intersection.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Goodyear,+AZ&ie=UTF8&ll=33.432301,-112.380266&spn=0.041903,0.09407&t=h&z=14

M2
04-08-2008, 04:00 PM
not to mention you'll miss all the insane spring break traffic on the KY, TN, GA and FL interstates.

I find it impossible to believe such a thing exists. I know a good number of people who've driven through GA and FL at that time of year and never heard a peep about anything like it. In fact, what I've been told is it's pretty smooth sailing except around larger metro areas at rush hour.

RBA
04-08-2008, 04:06 PM
I posted this on another thread - but here is the Google Maps shot of where the new ballpark will be

At Yuma & Estrella Parkway in what now shows up as Farm fields off the Southeast corner of the intersection.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Goodyear,+AZ&ie=UTF8&ll=33.432301,-112.380266&spn=0.041903,0.09407&t=h&z=14

Looks like military retirees and active duty can possibly get space available lodging at Luke AFB (about 7 miles away) :thumbup:

Always Red
04-08-2008, 04:07 PM
The only thing that is constant...is change.

There go my retirement plans of spending every March in Florida, watching Reds baseball for a solid month.

But I hear Arizona is pretty nice, too!

I agree with others above who said it's better than paying for substandard digs. Here's what the folks in Sarasota are saying:

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080408/NEWS/804080353/1006/SPORTS

(I just love this negative dig- from a place that really wasn't sure if they wanted Reds baseball operations to stay or not)

This time last year, the city put together a $44 million funding package with the county and state. But the Reds insisted on a renovation costing $54 million.

dabvu2498
04-08-2008, 04:08 PM
I find it impossible to believe such a thing exists. I know a good number of people who've driven through GA and FL at that time of year and never heard a peep about anything like it. In fact, what I've been told is it's pretty smooth sailing except around larger metro areas at rush hour.

I've seen it first hand on I-95 in South Carolina and Georgia. Going and coming. And not at peak driving hours, either.