PDA

View Full Version : How can they get the lineup going?

icehole3
04-09-2008, 04:56 AM
Hopper
Keppinger
Jr
Phillips
Dunn
EE
Valentin
Votto

Let Hopper bunt until his heart is content because Keppinger is on-base machine.

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Happy/HappyWave.gif

WMR
04-09-2008, 05:23 AM
Hopper? Really?

:lol:

Hopper is not your savior. :wave:

WMR
04-09-2008, 05:32 AM
An optimal lineup:

Keppinger
EE
Dunn
Griffey
Phillips
Votto
Patterson
Bako
Pitcher

icehole3
04-09-2008, 06:38 AM
An optimal lineup:

Keppinger
EE
Dunn
Griffey
Phillips
Votto
Patterson
Bako
Pitcher

batting Edwin second, may as well let the pitcher bat second. http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Animations/rofl.gif

icehole3
04-09-2008, 06:56 AM
Edwin would strikeout in a sunday softball league right now.

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Animations/giggle.gif

LoganBuck
04-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Corey Patterson has slugged more than you would typically expect. However is OBP is right where it has been for his career. The lone walk he has garnered is pathetic for a leadoff hitter.

Keppinger has been fantastic

Griffey has been good

Phillips has hit a little, but his OBP is also low

Dunn has got on base, but he is being pitched around Encarnacion is not giving him any protection

EdE needs to sit for a few days. He needs positive reinforcement, but I am not sure running him out there doesn't compound the problem.

Votto is fine imo, he is still a rookie making adjustments, if he could get consistent ABs I think he will take off. Hatteburg is wasted in the seventh hole when he plays.

Bako and Valentin have been fine.

I would do

Keppinger
Votto
Dunn
Griffey
Phillips
Patterson
Bako
Freel (for a few days)

If Dusty has to play Hatteburg, he also bats second. They are still in trouble versus a good lefty.

Caveat Emperor
04-09-2008, 07:50 AM
EE has to be given the opportunity to work out of his slump (for the team's sake, they need his bat). However, he should drop down in the lineup until that happens.

Tonight's lineup (and the lineup going forward) should be:

1. Patterson (he's going to lead off, why fight it)
2. Keppinger
3. Dunn
4. Griffey
5. Phillips
6. Votto
7. Encarnacion
8. Bako
9. Pitcher

Far East
04-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Although it is not working for the Cardinals, Milwaukee is making the most out of their pitcher hitting 8th and Kendall 9th.

Tuesday night, the Brewers' 8th spot had at least two sac bunts, and the 9th spot was on base almost every time to transition into the top of the order.

The inning where Bako got on base and Cueto made the last out would have given the Reds a better scoring opportunity if Cueto had been hitting 8th, made out #3, and then Bako led off the following inning just ahead of Patterson.

Of course that's just a single game and there are plenty of variables and extenuating circumstances, but this is one time that the SABRE metrics might make sense. Of course, Kendall leads the league in BA right now which is a huge plus at Milwaukee's #9.

One "optimal" batting order (predicted to score the most runs per game on average), using Tuesday's Reds, spit out by the Baseball Musings software is:
Keppinger, Dunn, Griffey, Encarnacion, Votto, Phillips, Patterson, Pitcher, Bako -- based on career OBP and SLG.

I think someday that every NL manager will try some version of what is now called a LaRussa lineup, but Dusty will probably be the last to try it.

bucksfan2
04-09-2008, 09:03 AM
An optimal lineup:

Keppinger
EE
Dunn
Griffey
Phillips
Votto
Patterson
Bako
Pitcher

Votto - I like him better here than Patterson

Dunn - Is getting on base right now but not scoring runs. I move him up because of his high OBP.

Keppinger - Right now he is the reds best hitter and I keep him here until he proves otherwise. He has the ability to hit to all fields and to move the runners when they are on.

Phillips - A bit of a free swinger but he will be productive in this spot.

Giffey - Hopefully he gets going and can be a run producer down in the 5 hole.

EE - Needs to start hitting.

Patterson - OBP is awful for a leadoff hitter. Needs to put the ball on the ground more. Willie Mays Hays treatment whenever he puts a ball in the air, 10 pushups.

Bako - Nice start to the season.

Pitcher

Sea Ray
04-09-2008, 11:58 AM
These are good ideas and I'm willing to try them but more than anything, the key to this team scoring runs is EE has to hit. I don't see any way around it. He has to get out of sub .100 territory. This lineup needs his contributions bigtime. Until that happens we'll continue to have large LOB totals.

RedsManRick
04-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Keppinger
EE
Dunn
Griffey
Phillips
Votto
Patterson
Catcher

Obviously Dunn and EE are going to need to get some hits, but a sub .200 batting average is small sample size. I still maintain that if anything is really going on with EE, it's a pitch recognition issue. So long as he makes contact, the hits will fall in. The above lineup gives us the best chance to score runs regularly, in my opinion. Patterson is simply the perfect fit for a 7 hole guy in front of a non-slugging catcher. His homers will actually drive in some runs and when he does get on base and can have the green light to get himself in to scoring position in front of guys not capable of bringing him home from first base on their own.