PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hear this HIGH-larity?

FreelFanatic
04-09-2008, 09:50 AM
So last night, Chris Welsh is talking about Prince Fielder's new garb. Apparently, Cecil's son made a trip this offseason to the Negro League Museum in Kansas City, and has changed his pants accordingly.

Unfortunately, Welsh began talking about Prince's "pantalones" (heavy Spanish accent on the last syllable). Even more unfortunate, it took me probably four innings to realize he should've been talking about his "pantaloons."

That is of course, the Negro League Museum randomly has been relocated to Tijuana ... then again, who's the bigger dumbace: Welsh for the major slipup, or me for taking four innings to realize it?! :)

durl
04-09-2008, 10:04 AM
He pronounced it right in Spanish so give him kudos for that. Pantalones is Spanish for pants.

Honestly, if I had a dime for every time any color commentator missed something in an area other than baseball, I'd be rich. This doesn't qualify as a major slipup to me.

FreelFanatic
04-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Yeah, but it has nothing to do with Spanish ... they're pantaloons. That's the style of the pants worn in the Negro Leagues.

smoke6
04-09-2008, 10:12 AM
So last night, Chris Welsh is talking about Prince Fielder's new garb. Apparently, Cecil's son made a trip this offseason to the Negro League Museum in Kansas City, and has changed his pants accordingly.

Unfortunately, Welsh began talking about Prince's "pantalones" (heavy Spanish accent on the last syllable). Even more unfortunate, it took me probably four innings to realize he should've been talking about his "pantaloons."

That is of course, the Negro League Museum randomly has been relocated to Tijuana ... then again, who's the bigger dumbace: Welsh for the major slipup, or me for taking four innings to realize it?! :)

HAHA! Chris Welsh had it right for once. Who's the bigger "dumbace" now? And it onlt took you 4 innings to arrive at the wrong conclusion. :thumbup:

:beerme:

smoke6
04-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Yeah, but it has nothing to do with Spanish ... they're pantaloons. That's the style of the pants worn in the Negro Leagues.

Welsh speaks spanglish all the time. It's part of his stupid schtick.

Let's make this a thread on stupid spanish spoken by Senor Welsh.

I'll go first...

Cambio=change up

Old NDN
04-10-2008, 11:09 AM
The pants looked like those worn by MC Hammer back in the day. As big as Fielder is, I'm not sure anything is gonna look great.

Jharb74
04-10-2008, 12:15 PM
The comedian Brian Regan has a bit about how newscasters over accentuate the pronunciations of Spanish words, to show how smart they are. Yet they wouldn't do that for a Chinese word or German word, for fear of losing their jobs.

Also, I was listening to part of the game on XM last night. (they play the home teams announcers) Bob Eucher (sp?) was talking about Ryan Freel's collision last year in center field to "Dennis Hopper."

smoke6
04-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Welsh kept calling Javy Valentin, Javy VALENTINE. WTF?

5ToolPlaya
04-11-2008, 02:34 AM
Official Reds mailings about group tickets have Javy's name spelled V-A-L-E-N-T-I-N-E! When I read it, I thought wow someone is getting paid good money to get this stuff right.