PDA

View Full Version : Who gets sent Down....

Lockdwn11
04-09-2008, 01:33 PM
When Gonzo gets back? I have a bad feeling that it going to be Votto. I hope it would be Hopper but thier going to uses the old he needs to play every day line and I would agree he should play every day but in Cinncnnati. Anyone else feel this way?

Jefferson24
04-09-2008, 01:47 PM
What will also be interesting is what happens when Ross gets back? Three catchers again, I hope not. Bako has played well though and called some great games.

I want to see Votto stay, he is about to turn the corner. I would rather see EE sent down and let Kep play 3rd. When EE gets his grove going bring him back up and trade Freel or Hopper.

BLEEDS
04-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Trading Freel and/or Hopper would be ideal.
Dropping Castro like a hot potato would be nice as well.

Then we could keep Votto and Hatte with the big club.

I think we could stay with 3 catchers, and use Valentin off the bench/spot starter. Our bench would be LOADED with lefties though (even tho Valentin can switch-hit, he's not very good from the Right Side). Our right-handers off the bench would be, um, Freel/Hopper - whoever's left, and Kepp/Gonzo - whoever doesn't start.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

gedred69
04-09-2008, 02:28 PM
A lot of things to consider on what happens when certain guys are ready. The a-forementioned, and what about Belisle as well? Votto does indeed look ready to come around, and that crap last year about "he needs to work on his defense" was just that. A bunch of crap. Hatteberg, and Freel or Hopper defenitely need traded. That still doesn't make room for Kepp' to have a position. If he continues to be the hit machine, Gonzo' or EE sits would be my decision for what it's worth.

Chris Sabowned
04-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Valentin looks hurt, I wouldn't be totally surprised if he goes on the DL when Ross comes off.

And I pray that Castro is the one gone when Gonzo comes back.

Brian
04-09-2008, 02:32 PM
I thin you send EE down, he looks terrible both at the plate and in the field. Kepp to 3rd, Gonzo at SS. Freel and Hopper are almost the same guy, hopefully they can move one of them. Castro...kind of nice to have another defensive infielder, but he gets expendable at a certain point.

Chris Sabowned
04-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Ede is a slow starter, just give him time. Maybe give him some time off in favor of Kepp once Gonzo comes back, but I wouldn't send him down.

joshua
04-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Castro or EE.

I'm comfortable with Bako at C. Trading Ross and Freel or Hopper in a package wouldn't be a bad idea at this point.

Jefferson24
04-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Ede is a slow starter, just give him time. Maybe give him some time off in favor of Kepp once Gonzo comes back, but I wouldn't send him down.

He does seem to be a slow starter. Why is it that the slow starters can't work into a rhythm in AAA? Both Votto and EE have options, why not use them instead of throwing away 2-3 weeks of the regular season. Votto is coming around now but I still think it makes more sense to let them work out the bugs in AAA for a couple, three weeks. In the mean while it's costing us games at worst, at the least its contributing to the below average offense.

mlbfan30
04-09-2008, 07:36 PM
He does seem to be a slow starter. Why is it that the slow starters can't work into a rhythm in AAA? Both Votto and EE have options, why not use them instead of throwing away 2-3 weeks of the regular season. Votto is coming around now but I still think it makes more sense to let them work out the bugs in AAA for a couple, three weeks. In the mean while it's costing us games at worst, at the least its contributing to the below average offense.

So you want Hatty and his .205 OPS over Votto's .533 OPS

Sure...Votto's not doing great, but to say he's costing us games compared to Hatty is just plain wrong.

GoReds33
04-09-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm going with Castro, though I wouldn't mind sending Edwin down for a month.

Degenerate39
04-09-2008, 07:45 PM
I have a good feeling that it will be Castro and when Ross comes back I think Javy will go on the DL.

mlbfan30
04-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Castro needs to be cut. He's not even good defensively anymore, and he's a bottom 5 hitter in baseball. Agone is basically Castro with pop and range

Lockdwn11
04-10-2008, 07:02 AM
I have a good feeling that it will be Castro and when Ross comes back I think Javy will go on the DL.

I sure hope you are right.

Jefferson24
04-10-2008, 07:40 AM
So you want Hatty and his .205 OPS over Votto's .533 OPS

Sure...Votto's not doing great, but to say he's costing us games compared to Hatty is just plain wrong.

Let me clarify, at the start of the season I would have been in favor of starting Votto in AAA. At this point leave him up because he's turning the corner. Had Hatty been playing full time first base this whole season his numbers would likely be improved. It's hard to get in a good grove when your platooning.

I'm just saying if a guy's going to hit .150 I would rather see him do it at AAA.

He got it!
04-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Last night on the radio when Marty posed this question to Hal McCoy, Brantly suggested that Javy go on the DL when Ross returns which some of you have already suggested. Marty and Hal both are fearful that it will be Votto who will be the odd man out. All 3 agreed that this every other day platoon at first base was not helping anybody. All 3 also said that if Dusty would have seen the Reds play last September and see what Votto did he would play him every day and not worry about a platoon.

CWRed
04-10-2008, 12:38 PM
The order of who should get sent down:

Juan Castro
Juan Castro
Juan Castro...
and if they have to...
Juan Castro

Moosie52
04-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Gonzo has averaged 117 games a year the last 3 seasons, so he probably won't last long anyway.

Hondo
04-10-2008, 01:29 PM
I also really feel that Votto needs to be in there everyday at 1st Base to get something going... I agree with the "If Dusty would have been around the last Month of the Season" observation... Votto needs consistent AB's, to be productive...

EE. How long can a team go with Both Corner Infielders offering little to none offensively?

I do not like this at all... Playing Votto everyday will fix 1st Base efficiantly enough. I would go with, when Alex Gonzalez gets back, if EE is not hitting at all... Move him to AAA and start Kepp at 3rd until

A: Gonzo goes down again

B: Edwin starts getting some confidence in AAA and Knocking the Ball all over the place...

This team has to get better Production from its Corner Infielders...

LouisvilleCARDS
04-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Funny only one post here mentions Juan Castro - he's the most obvious choice at this point. Could it not be any more obvious? If Ross gets healthy, I say start him in Triple A, Bako and Valentine are batting pretty well right now, don't mess with that. That could always change in a few games though, but they're all not #1 catchers.

Jefferson24
04-10-2008, 03:38 PM
I just assumed it was a givin that Castro was here as long as he would like to be. If the Reds were going to send someone down or just away based on lack of production they would have sent him packin last year.

Hondo
04-10-2008, 04:28 PM
I also really feel that Votto needs to be in there everyday at 1st Base to get something going... I agree with the "If Dusty would have been around the last Month of the Season" observation... Votto needs consistent AB's, to be productive...

EE. How long can a team go with Both Corner Infielders offering little to none offensively?

I do not like this at all... Playing Votto everyday will fix 1st Base efficiantly enough. I would go with, when Alex Gonzalez gets back, if EE is not hitting at all... Move him to AAA and start Kepp at 3rd until

A: Gonzo goes down again

B: Edwin starts getting some confidence in AAA and Knocking the Ball all over the place...

This team has to get better Production from its Corner Infielders...

You can all thank me for todays win. When I criticized Edwin, he apropriately went ahead and hit a 2 Run Homer...

Carma....

Even though Hatte had a couple knocks, I still prefer having Votto in there. No Platoon!

Oh, and Patt, Kepp, and Griffey all went O-Fer... Ouch...

Kingspoint
04-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Three weeks away....these things have a way of taking care of themselves.

Mutaman
04-10-2008, 05:38 PM
You can all thank me for todays win. ..

Ok, thanks. But I still think that Harang guy had more to do with it.

Hondo
04-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Ok, thanks. But I still think that Harang guy had more to do with it.

You're very Welcome...

Of course I was being Sarcastic