PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for Optimism THIS year.

Brisco
04-09-2008, 02:07 PM
I see constant hope about the Reds chances in future years with the kids we have, but 8 games in I think we have lots of reasons to believe we will win this season:

1. We are 4-4 despite over half our starting lineup being colder than ice at the plate.
2. We are playing without 2 of our 8 designated position starters (Ross and Gonzo) Yes, i realize many think that Kepp should start over Gonzo,but few would argue that Gonzo is not a ML caliber SS and the reurn of these two will make the team stronger.
3. If Cueto and Volquez are real, and they look to be, and the rest of the rotation merely lives up to the back of their respective baseball cards, we will have the best rotation in the division and possible the NL. (Think of it this way... almost all #5s stink and how many teams out there have a better #4 than Arroyo, ...and Harang, Cueto and Volquez all have top of the rotation stuff.
4. The B's are coming. Either Bruce, Belisle or Bailey will force their way up here soon. If Belisle or Bailey do so, then suddenly I believe Arroyo becomes our #5. Show me any other team that has 4 starters better than Arroyo.
5. Other than Weathers, the bullpen looks pretty strong in their respecitve roles.
6. The team management and coaching appear to be better at what they do than the consensus leadership provided by Redszone members. Look back at the spring training posts and what the various opinions proposed were. In hindsight, it sure looks like the Reds made better calls than most of us.:beerme:

jfleur87
04-09-2008, 02:15 PM
thanks, i needed something like this, yesterdays loss sorta ruined my good spirits, heres to fun season that keeps interest well into the fall

joshua
04-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Cueto, Cueto, Cueto, Cueto, Cueto.

Just noticed, I've been lurking here for a long time, and signed up a year ago to lurk the gameday threads and the sun deck...

and I'm just now making my first post.

Howdy, Reds fans!

RedsFan2008
04-09-2008, 02:59 PM
I dont understand why people are so upset with this team right now. Were not 0-8, or 0-7(hint hint). Were 4-4 and we have played 2 playoff teams and 1 potential playoff team. Were EIGHT games into the season. EIGHT! Lets calm down. It looks as if our Pitching (aside from Arroyo and our #5) is great, and we do have good hitters in our lineup, they are just in slumps.

tommycash
04-09-2008, 02:59 PM
I agree, when the hitting returns, so with it comes wins.

joshua
04-09-2008, 03:05 PM
I agree, when the hitting returns, so with it comes wins.

It's weird before games thinking "Well, the pitching will do it's job. Now, if only we can score more than 4 runs we'll be good."

If it's not one thing, it's another. But yeah, the hitting will get on it's feet soon.

bubbachunk
04-09-2008, 03:12 PM
LOL Weather is still a very solid reliever stop over hyping giving up 1 run in his second innning of work last night

Brisco
04-10-2008, 11:38 AM
More Reasons after last night:

7. The Cincy management continues to have the Golden Touch Part 1: CoPatt, Lincoln, Bako, & Mercker would have been tarred and feathered by the ORG and never let within 5 miles of a the 25 man roster.

8. The Cincy management continues to have the Golden Touch Part 2: Fogg may be serviceable after all. He pitched 5 innings of 1 run ball (minus errors). Perhaps we should ensure that he always pitches away from GAB. Bailey, when he does finally come up in June might actually be a much better pitcher than if he had spent the previous 3 months in Cincy.

9. CoPatt took a walk!

Hondo
04-10-2008, 01:39 PM
I don't think Bruce has a chance to crack the lineup with Corey Patterson making such a contribution... Dunn and Griffey at the corners aren't moving anywhere...

Also, I wish this team would sign Dunn to a 4 year extension. Even though he is going to be around 56 to 60 Million... Adam is a player that I would like to see a Life Long Red.

With all these other teams signing their players Long Term, and Cincy lockling up Phillips earlier... It would be great to have that out of the way...

BlastFurnace
04-10-2008, 02:07 PM
I see constant hope about the Reds chances in future years with the kids we have, but 8 games in I think we have lots of reasons to believe we will win this season:

1. We are 4-4 despite over half our starting lineup being colder than ice at the plate.
2. We are playing without 2 of our 8 designated position starters (Ross and Gonzo) Yes, i realize many think that Kepp should start over Gonzo,but few would argue that Gonzo is not a ML caliber SS and the reurn of these two will make the team stronger.
3. If Cueto and Volquez are real, and they look to be, and the rest of the rotation merely lives up to the back of their respective baseball cards, we will have the best rotation in the division and possible the NL. (Think of it this way... almost all #5s stink and how many teams out there have a better #4 than Arroyo, ...and Harang, Cueto and Volquez all have top of the rotation stuff.
4. The B's are coming. Either Bruce, Belisle or Bailey will force their way up here soon. If Belisle or Bailey do so, then suddenly I believe Arroyo becomes our #5. Show me any other team that has 4 starters better than Arroyo.
5. Other than Weathers, the bullpen looks pretty strong in their respecitve roles.
6. The team management and coaching appear to be better at what they do than the consensus leadership provided by Redszone members. Look back at the spring training posts and what the various opinions proposed were. In hindsight, it sure looks like the Reds made better calls than most of us.:beerme:

The biggest reason I feel optimism is because this team has some real talent this season and a proven winner at MGR. I know some people don't like Baker, but he has won at Chicago and at San Francisco. I like how the ownership went out and signed someone like Dusty instead of going with someone with no track record as well.

The more I watch Keppinger at SS, the more I like him. Gonzales was supposed to a defensive stallwart at SS when we signed him, which was supposed to make up for his weak bat and that hasn't happened. Kepp had a good batting average last season and so far this season and hasn't been bad in the field either.

Where I am most excited about this team is the pitching. I absolutely hated to get rid of Hamilton, but since we did, I am glad we brought in a good, young pitcher like Volquez. I am from Texas and have heard about this kid for years down here as he was in the Rangers minor league system. Harang, Cueto, Volquez are going to be force at 1-3 for us. Arroyo, he's a # 4 at best. I'm not sure what to expect from Bailey any longer. I thought he would stick with the club after Spring Training.

One of the pitchers that I have never liked is David Weathers. Every single time he enters the game, I feel like I am on the verge of watching a meltdown of some sort. Reminds me of when I was a kid watching this team and a guy like Mike LaCoss would come in...disaster is soon to follow.

It's great to be a Reds fan. I've been one since 1977. This season is the 1st one in years that I really feel we have a legitimate chance to win the division and build a strong base for the future.

Hondo
04-10-2008, 04:32 PM
I tell you who I am scared of... Todd Coffey...

No pressure in a 12-4 Situation and the guy coughs up a Homer.

Brisco
04-11-2008, 12:25 PM
A couple more reasons for optimism:

10. We are the only team in baseball to beat the D-Backs... and we have done it twice! D-backs vs Reds: 1-2... vs. everyone else: 6-0.

11. We just took 2 of 3 from the then division leaders (and one of the preseason contenders for the crown) at THEIR house.

12. 2 of our 4 losses were to Brandon Webb and Cole Hamels... arguably 2 of the top 6 starting pitchers in the NL.

:thumbup:

SultanOfSwing
04-11-2008, 12:30 PM
A couple more reasons for optimism:

10. We are the only team in baseball to beat the D-Backs... and we have done it twice! D-backs vs Reds: 1-2... vs. everyone else: 6-0.

11. We just took 2 of 3 from the then division leaders (and one of the preseason contenders for the crown) at THEIR house.

12. 2 of our 4 losses were to Brandon Webb and Cole Hamels... arguably 2 of the top 6 starting pitchers in the NL.

:thumbup:
And the other two were comprised of extra innings and a Josh Fogg throw-away special.

Yes, things have been very encouraging to this point.