PDA

View Full Version : Are the Reds an overall better team than the Brew Crew?

WMR
04-10-2008, 03:04 PM
We missed Sheets ...

still, I think our starting pitching and bully is much better than theirs.

I would give them the nod offensively but I would say defense is either a push or a slight advantage to us.

Overall, I think we are better.

RedlegJake
04-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Reds are vulnerable to lefties, Brewers to righties. Top to bottom I'd take the Brew Crew's offense but its closer than I thought. Both teams need to improve on defense -push. Starting pitching is solid edge to Reds. Sheets gets hurt, Harang doesn't. Cueto is beter than Parra but Parra is lefty and pretty good himself. Soup is better than our 5th. Villanueva isn't close to Volquez stuffwise. Arroyo is much better than Bush. Reds have better options if someone goes down. Bullpen solid edge goes to Reds again but as good as its looked so far, I'm not counting it a gimme just yet. Bench edge goes to Brewers. All in all, I think the Reds are better.

RedEye
04-10-2008, 03:21 PM
At this point, it's much closer than I thought it would be--especially if the bullpen continues to be solid. We somehow need to upgrade our defense and our bench.

Wheelhouse
04-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Yes. Much better starting pitching.

RedsManRick
04-10-2008, 03:30 PM
We're very similar teams. I'd take our pitching staff, but they've got us offensively by a fair bit. Brewers have greater upside in 2008, especially if Sheets stays healthy and Parra and Villanueva stay in the rotation.

OnBaseMachine
04-10-2008, 03:31 PM
I agree with what everyone else said in terms of comparisons:

Offense goes to the Brewers.
Defense is a push.
Starting pitching goes to the Reds.
Bullpen favors the Reds.
Bench goes to the Brewers.

The Reds played well enough in this series to sweep the Brew Crew but the offense struggled in that first game. Overall, taking two of three in Milwaukee is very good. You gotta be excited about the way this team is pitching right now...

Benihana
04-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Reds are vulnerable to lefties, Brewers to righties. Top to bottom I'd take the Brew Crew's offense but its closer than I thought. Both teams need to improve on defense -push. Starting pitching is solid edge to Reds. Sheets gets hurt, Harang doesn't. Cueto is beter than Parra but Parra is lefty and pretty good himself. Soup is better than our 5th. Villanueva isn't close to Volquez stuffwise. Arroyo is much better than Bush. Reds have better options if someone goes down. Bullpen solid edge goes to Reds again but as good as its looked so far, I'm not counting it a gimme just yet. Bench edge goes to Brewers. All in all, I think the Reds are better.

Don't forget about Yovani Gallardo. But even still, I'll take the Reds starting pitching.

Benihana
04-10-2008, 03:32 PM
I agree with what everyone else said in terms of comparisons:

Offense goes to the Brewers.
Defense is a push.
Starting pitching goes to the Reds.
Bench goes to the Brewers.

The Reds played well enough in this series to sweep the Brew Crew but the offense struggled in that first game. Overall, taking two of three in Milwaukee is very good. You gotta be excited about the way this team is pitching right now...

I'll take the Reds' bullpen as well. That's important.

OnBaseMachine
04-10-2008, 03:37 PM
I'll take the Reds' bullpen as well. That's important.

Yeah I forgot to list the bullpen. I'll take the Reds pen over the Brewers. I appreciate them letting us steal Cordero...

princeton
04-10-2008, 03:38 PM
taking Cordero out of the Brewers' bullpen and into the Reds' was a big move.

oneupper
04-10-2008, 03:41 PM
taking Cordero out of the Brewers' bullpen and into the Reds' was a big move.

Good Point. You know, just that reason (that Coco was a Brewer), could have justified Krivsky's zeal ($$$) in pursuing Cordero. Not only strengthen the REDS but weaken a division rival also.

KronoRed
04-10-2008, 03:41 PM
It's about even

bucksfan2
04-10-2008, 03:47 PM
It's about even

On paper they are about even but we also must remember that Bill Hall is Albert Pujols against the reds.

WebScorpion
04-10-2008, 03:51 PM
On paper they are about even but we also must remember that Bill Hall is Albert Pujols against the reds.
Not against Coco! :thumbup:

princeton
04-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Bill Hall is Albert Pujols against the reds.

the Brewers let Paul Bako impersonate a major league hitter.

MrCinatit
04-10-2008, 03:57 PM
The Brewers are the team I've been kind of afraid of the last couple of years - so much quality home grown talent, and it seems they have been growing and learning at the same time.
But, every quality team needs a lights out closer. They had one last year.
Now we have him. I like that, a lot. And a lot of media reports I see posted here remind me of how people felt about the Brewers a couple of years ago. I just hope the Reds can take it one level (IE, the playoffs) higher.

RBA
04-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Yes, the Reds are better. They just won 2 out of 3 at their ballpark.

WMR
04-10-2008, 04:00 PM

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush???

WMR
04-10-2008, 04:01 PM

It's okay to count your chickens AFTER they hatch???

redsmetz
04-10-2008, 04:01 PM
A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush???

Not Busch, it's Miller. :D

Highlifeman21
04-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Just wait until Cameron isn't suspended, then it won't even be close.

We took this series, but I wouldn't bet any amount of money we are any better than .500 vs. the Brewers for 2008.

BRM
04-10-2008, 04:13 PM
It's okay to count your chickens AFTER they hatch???

Depends on which was first, the chicken or the egg.

Caveat Emperor
04-10-2008, 04:14 PM

We took this series, but I wouldn't bet any amount of money we are any better than .500 vs. the Brewers for 2008.

Or just wait until Jay Bruce is ready in June/July.

We can play that game round-and-round in circles.

Highlifeman21
04-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Or just wait until Jay Bruce is ready in June/July.

We can play that game round-and-round in circles.

Assuming Patterson keeps doing what he's doing, who loses playing time to Bruce?

Dunn?

Patterson?

Griffey?

I know they won't slide Dunn to 1B to make room in 2008 for Bruce in the OF, so from where will Bruce's playing time come?

Joseph
04-10-2008, 04:22 PM

We've got one more series against them before Cameron comes back. I noted earlier that winning against them without Cameron would/could be something that helped the race late in the season.

The schedule smiled on us in that regard.

Aronchis
04-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Who knows. These early season games don't tell you much. The "Brew Crew" didn't play well the whole series. They were lucky to win a game.

Chip R
04-10-2008, 06:08 PM
the Brewers let Paul Bako impersonate a major league hitter.

As did the Phillies.

blumj
04-10-2008, 06:30 PM
But, every quality team needs a lights out closer. They had one last year.
Now we have him. I like that, a lot.
Even better, they're trying to replace him with le cadavre de Eric Gagne.

RFS62
04-10-2008, 07:18 PM
We owe these punks. And we owe them big.

That miserable weekend in '99 that knocked us into the one game playoff still hurts.

We're going to be battling these guys for the division title for the next few years.

I hate the stinkin' Brewers.

Almost as much as I hate the stinkin' Cubs.

Falls City Beer
04-10-2008, 07:27 PM

I hate 'em worse. I hate all the hype they get. I hate fans who pimp them when they've never amounted to a hill of beans.

I HATE the Brewers. In the way fans here hate the Cardinals. I like watching the Reds play tough contests against any other team, but I want the Reds to totally humiliate the Brewers.

RedlegJake
04-10-2008, 07:31 PM
I hate the stinkin' Brewers.

No way. Not even close. The Brewers are like the Pirates, on the bottom for a long time. Their fans are friendly and so much less obnoxious than Chicago fans it's hard to believe they're just a few miles north of Chitown. Beatin the Reds in '99 was the Reds fault. Put it all together and I don't even mind the Brewers resurrection.

I hope between them and the Reds and Pirates the Cubs, Cards and Stros all see some time in the cellar the next few years. I hate those three teams in descending order from venomous vitriolic vomit to bare burning bile to off hand dismissal.

RedlegJake
04-10-2008, 07:32 PM
I hate 'em worse. I hate all the hype they get. I hate fans who pimp them when they've never amounted to a hill of beans.

I HATE the Brewers. In the way fans here hate the Cardinals. I like watching the Reds play tough contests against any other team, but I want the Reds to totally humiliate the Brewers.

LOL.. Between all of us we're almost a psychotic gathering...

RBA
04-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Cameron won't be playing with the help of his medication.

Caveat Emperor
04-10-2008, 07:53 PM
We've got one more series against them before Cameron comes back. I noted earlier that winning against them without Cameron would/could be something that helped the race late in the season.

The schedule smiled on us in that regard.

Mike Cameron?

Come on -- I like Cameron's glove as much as the next dude, but he's north of 35, and now they've taken away his supply of Vitamin-S. I have a hard time believing his bat will add more than a win or two to the Brewers over a replacement player. ZiPS likes him just slightly better than your average CF and projects a continuing power drop for him.

The schedule smiled on us via us missing Ben Sheets. You could throw Mike Cameron in for all three games this past series and I highly doubt the outcome would've changed one way or the other.