PDA

View Full Version : Reds vs. Pirates Pitching Match Ups

EddieMilner
04-10-2008, 03:38 PM
4-11-08
Edinson Volquez, RHP (1-0, 1.69) @ Paul Maholm, LHP (0-1, 9.00)
LHP that allowed a GS in his first appearance, and struck out 9 in 5 innings. Doesn't look good for the Redlegs.

4-12-08
Bronson Arroyo, RHP (0-1, 5.91) @ Ian Snell, RHP (1-0, 3.75)
BA hasn't pitched well against the Pirates in the past, and Snell hasn't pitched well against the Reds in the pass. Hopefully the Reds can pull this one out.

4-13-08
Johnny Cueto, RHP (1-0, 2.03) @ Tom Gorzelanny, LHP (0-1, 10.80)
LHP that had control problems in his first two outings of the year. Hopefully he can continue with those issues against the Reds, but the Reds are known for being a slump buster for LHP on the rocks.

All in all, I don't like the match ups and I think the Reds go 1-2 for the weekend series, even though the phenomenas are pitching. Hopefully I am wrong.

Oxblood
04-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Reds take two out of three, losing the Arroyo v. Snell game.

EddieMilner
04-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Reds take two out of three, losing the Arroyo v. Snell game.

I am excited that EE had a good game today, hopefully he can continue to climb out of his slump by facing a couple of Lefties.

However I still don't see us beating two lefties in a 3 game span, we don't have a roster built for it.

Redeye fly
04-10-2008, 03:56 PM
It may be a struggle, but if we continue to get this kind of starting pitching, the offense doesn't have to do a lot.

Degenerate39
04-10-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the Reds right now. With Cueto and Voltron pitching I think they can win at least 2 out of 3. The offense looks like it's awake. I'll go out on a limb and say the Reds pick up the sweep.

ChatterRed
04-10-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm predicting a sweep of the Pirates. Arroyo is due for a good game and Snell is due for a bad one. Plus, the Reds hit RHP pretty well and I think Griffey and Dunn are ready to break loose.

Reds will be 9-4 after the weekend.

podgejeff_
04-10-2008, 04:18 PM
I think we're definitely going to win this series, and maybe even sweep.

Our pitching has been some of the best in the majors.

BUTLER REDSFAN
04-10-2008, 09:08 PM
With the way the rotation is being jiggled with...Does any1 know who woud be starting 4/19 Saturday against the Brewers??? I have tix and would love to see Cueto.

redhawk61
04-10-2008, 09:14 PM
I have a feeling we are going to run Mahalom out of the game after 4, he is just not good.

NDReds9
04-11-2008, 04:36 AM
So does Volquez get skipped now, or will he pitch on Saturday?

Oh, by the way, Friday's game is a washout.

TheOnlyRedsFan
04-11-2008, 05:44 AM
Arroyo is due for a good game.

EddieMilner
04-11-2008, 07:17 AM
So does Volquez get skipped now, or will he pitch on Saturday?

Oh, by the way, Friday's game is a washout.

What do you mean Friday's game is a washout?

redsman344
04-11-2008, 10:41 AM
If by washout you mean weather wise, it looks ok to me. http://www.accuweather.com/forecast-hourly.asp?partner=accuweather&zipcode=15201&metric=0&hbhday=1&hbhhour=19

SultanOfSwing
04-11-2008, 12:27 PM
What do you mean Friday's game is a washout?
A wash or even match-up? IDK

I really like those matchups and add to that the likelihood of the Reds offense finally breaking out, I think the brooms could definitely be in order.

captainmorgan07
04-11-2008, 01:47 PM
2 outta 3 seems very realistic. Snell is the true ace of the pirates staff and has always thrown well against us. If Arroyo pitches well a sweep could be very likely.

Hondo
04-11-2008, 01:57 PM
What? I call a Sweep.

Bronson Arroyo Can't go 3 Bad Games in a Row, and Cueto is pitching extremly well... Pirates hitters aren't going to know him very well, and as long as Dusty Pulls Volquez out when the time is right like in his last start... The odds are Stacked against the Bucks...

jmac
04-11-2008, 10:39 PM
odds are Stacked against the Bucks...
Not when they start two lefty's.

Jefferson24
04-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Reds must start hitting lefties, if they have any hope of a winning season. It just makes me sick to watch them look so pathetic.

Degenerate39
04-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Reds must start hitting lefties, if they have any hope of a winning season. It just makes me sick to watch them look so pathetic.

I think it will help out a lot when Gonzo and Ross are back on the team. If Gonzo's son is healthy then I think he'll relax and have a good year. It will possibly kick Castro out of the big leagues, which helps alot, also. Then you could trade Hatte and use a platoon of Kepp and Votto at first base. The Reds really don't need Javy so when Ross comes back I'm hoping that they'll get rid of Javy and just go with Bako and Ross. Ross will hit some homers against lefties or hopefully go back to his '06 form.

Against left handed pitchers I think this could be the lineup we'll see once Gonzo and Ross are back in the bigs:

CF- Hopper
1st- Keppinger
RF- Griffey
2nd- Phillips
LF- Dunn
3rd- Encarnacion
SS- Gonzales
C- Ross
P- Harang

Oxblood
04-11-2008, 11:22 PM
I am excited that EE had a good game today, hopefully he can continue to climb out of his slump by facing a couple of Lefties.

However I still don't see us beating two lefties in a 3 game span, we don't have a roster built for it.

Credit due, you called it.

jmac
04-11-2008, 11:33 PM
I think we will miss Lilly but get Hill in the cubs series.

mlbfan30
04-12-2008, 12:53 AM
I think it will help out a lot when Gonzo and Ross are back on the team. If Gonzo's son is healthy then I think he'll relax and have a good year. It will possibly kick Castro out of the big leagues, which helps alot, also. Then you could trade Hatte and use a platoon of Kepp and Votto at first base. The Reds really don't need Javy so when Ross comes back I'm hoping that they'll get rid of Javy and just go with Bako and Ross. Ross will hit some homers against lefties or hopefully go back to his '06 form.

Against left handed pitchers I think this could be the lineup we'll see once Gonzo and Ross are back in the bigs:

CF- Hopper
1st- Keppinger
RF- Griffey
2nd- Phillips
LF- Dunn
3rd- Encarnacion
SS- Gonzales
C- Ross
P- Harang

That all sounds great except 1 thing. I would have Keppenger as the everyday SS against RHP and platoon with Votto against LHP. Gonzo can be backup SS/pinch hitter. Valentine is useless and needs to be cut. Bako is better at this point and why use Valentine as a PH guy when he has a career .613 OPS while pinch hitting (Those new BBREF stats are great). Maybe that would be okay if he was a utility guy like Freel, but not as an exclusive PH (Or when Ross catches and Bako replaces him then Bako gets hurt, assuming Valentine wasn't used to PH already) 3 Catchers is one of the worst ideas.

So...
Drop Castro for Agone
Drop Valentine for Ross

However I could see the Reds doing something stupid like demoting EE, Votto, or both.