PDA

View Full Version : Chad Moeller praises Homer

coachw513
04-10-2008, 06:45 PM
MOOSIC — Scranton/Wilkes-Barre catcher Chad Moeller spent most of last season in the Cincinnati Reds organization, so he knew all about Homer Bailey long before the 21-year-old started against the Yankees on Tuesday.

Not that it helped him very much.

Moeller was one of four Yankees who struck out at least twice as the Louisville pitching staff — led by its ace prospect — shut down and shut out the Yankees in a 1-0 Bats win at PNC Field.

Bailey did most of the damage. Pitching 5? scoreless innings, baseball’s No. 9 prospect according to Baseball America allowed just four hits and one walk while striking out seven.

Of the four hits, two were infield singles and another was a dribbler that found a hole just past the second baseman.

“I caught him some last year and that’s the best I’ve seen him,” Moeller said. “Command, velocity, his fastball was kind of cutting across the strike zone. That was a different pitcher than I saw last year.”

Even when Bailey was out of the game, the Bats bullpen kept rolling through the Yankees lineup.

Lefty Bill Bray faced five batters and struck out three of them before Jim Brower, the Yankees closer last season, danced out of trouble in the eighth and ninth to pick up his first save. Brower also struck out three.

“They all threw the ball well,” Moeller said. “And stuck it to us.”

The best chances for the Yankees came in the last two innings off Brower.

In the eighth, Bernie Castro led off with a walk. Justin Christian, though, couldn’t get a sacrifice bunt down and wound up striking out on a fouled bunt for strike three. After the strikeout, Castro tried to steal second and was thrown out. Greg Porter flied out to end the inning.

Ninth inning, the Yankees got a one-out walk from Juan Miranda, followed by a single to put runners at first and second. Eric Duncan, though, struck out looking and Nick Green struck out swinging to end it.

“Any time you have a chance to tie it in the bottom of the ninth you’re right where you need to be,” Yankees manager Dave Miley said. “But we couldn’t get the big hit.”

Other than the last two innings, the only time the Yankees had a runner on base with less than two outs was the first inning, when Christian reached on an infield single only to be eliminated on a double play.

That lack of production saddled Yankees starter Kei Igawa with the loss, despite the fact he allowed just one run.

It came in the first inning when Jay Bruce doubled in Jerry Hairston Jr. Igawa, though, went on to strand runners at the corners that inning before a caught stealing helped Igawa wiggle out of a two-on, one-out jam in the second. Igawa stranded runners again in the third and fourth but, having already thrown 74 pitches, Igawa, was out of the game at the start of the fifth inning.

Contact the writer: cjennings@timesshamrock.com

NorrisHopper30
04-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Only struck out Moeller twice?

Jeez..

lollipopcurve
04-10-2008, 06:57 PM
“I caught him some last year and that’s the best I’ve seen him,” Moeller said. “Command, velocity, his fastball was kind of cutting across the strike zone. That was a different pitcher than I saw last year.”

Interesting. Keep at it, Homer.

Screwball
04-10-2008, 07:00 PM
I was listening to C. Trent earlier today talking about this. He said that last year Moeller was always willing to talk to the media about other players. However, he chose his words carefully and oftentimes avoided talking about Homer. When Moeller did talk about him, it wasn't in the same glowing terms that he used in the above article.

Bascially, Trent stated that you could tell a lot by what Moeller didn't say. So for him to speak highly of Homer here isn't just blowing sunshine up our behinds, but rather should be taken as an utmost compliment.

Also, they (Lance McAlister) played a couple clips from a Homer interview. Bailey said he's been working very hard on adding a slider (which we got a glimpse of in ST), and that in the ride from Sarasota to Louisville, he decided to abandon bringing his hands over his head in the beginning of his wind-up. He said he wanted to get rid of any unnecessary movement that may affect his command, and that's exactly what he's done.

princeton
04-10-2008, 09:39 PM
for him to speak highly of Homer here isn't just blowing sunshine up our behinds, but rather should be taken as an utmost compliment.

you might have had me with that, until I saw that he also complimented Brower.

redhawk61
04-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Also, they (Lance McAlister) played a couple clips from a Homer interview. Bailey said he's been working very hard on adding a slider (which we got a glimpse of in ST), and that in the ride from Sarasota to Louisville, he decided to abandon bringing his hands over his head in the beginning of his wind-up. He said he wanted to get rid of any unnecessary movement that may affect his command, and that's exactly what he's done.

And the transformation to a better Harang, not that you can get much better, has begun. Harang started a lot like Homer, though not as hyped, but threw harder than now and was wild. He compacted his delivery tightned up his slider and you have the ACE of the Reds.

Ga_Red
04-10-2008, 10:07 PM
This could be fantastic news for Reds fans!

If HB has discovered a way to get movement on his 2 seamer, regularly, it will be huge, the difference between
his being a hyped project and a #1 prospect, imo.

SarasotaFan
04-10-2008, 10:13 PM
you really think he's gonna say anything bad about him with a microphone in front of his face ? doubt it...

SarasotaFan
04-10-2008, 10:15 PM
so no more nolan ryan comparisons??? :confused:

Screwball
04-10-2008, 10:24 PM
you really think he's gonna say anything bad about him with a microphone in front of his face ? doubt it...

Well, as I clearly stated, Moeller has, in fact, gone out of his way to not compliment Homer in the past. He's not a jerk so he doesn't make disparaging remarks, but for him to now speak highly of Bailey corroborates the numbers that suggest Homer's starting to come around.

As for the Brower compliment, Moeller never spoke specifically about him the way Chad spoke about Bailey. Saying "they all threw the ball well" and "I caught him some last year and that’s the best I’ve seen him. Command, velocity, his fastball was kind of cutting across the strike zone. That was a different pitcher than I saw last year," is quite a bit different, IMO.

SarasotaFan
04-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Well, as I clearly stated, Moeller has, in fact, gone out of his way to not compliment Homer in the past. He's not a jerk so he doesn't make disparaging remarks, but for him to now speak highly of Bailey corroborates the numbers that suggest Homer's starting to come around.

As for the Brower compliment, Moeller never spoke specifically about him the way Chad spoke about Bailey. Saying "they all threw the ball well" and "I caught him some last year and that’s the best I’ve seen him. Command, velocity, his fastball was kind of cutting across the strike zone. That was a different pitcher than I saw last year," is quite a bit different, IMO.

probably cause he wasn't specifically asked about Brower like was about Homer. reporter probably said "you caught homer last year and now you got to face him, what did you think?"

redsfan30
04-10-2008, 10:42 PM

Moeller is not in the Reds organization anymore. He doesn't need to pull punches in interviews.

SarasotaFan
04-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Moeller is not in the Reds organization anymore. He doesn't need to pull punches in interviews.
pull punches ? i'll take that as "ass kissing" ??

doesn't matter. i'm sure he's a nice guy. he could end up back there. you see the way guys are moved around.

Homer Bailey
04-10-2008, 10:58 PM
To hear that Homer has changed stuff for the better is the most encouraging news I have heard about him so far. Imagine our staff with an effective Homer!

Jpup
04-12-2008, 12:00 PM
pull punches ? i'll take that as "ass kissing" ??

doesn't matter. i'm sure he's a nice guy. he could end up back there. you see the way guys are moved around.

If Jorge doesn't get better, you may see Moeller on the Bombers soon.

Degenerate39
04-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Marty was on XM Radio the other day and he said expect Bailey to make a few more starts in Triple A before he's with Cincinnati again.

SMcGavin
04-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Did anyone else notice in this article that Scranton's manager is Dave Miley? They are the bizzaro Reds.

redsmetz
04-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Did anyone else notice in this article that Scranton's manager is Dave Miley? They are the bizzaro Reds.

Miley has been a successful minor league manager - he just couldn't translate it on the ML level.

dougdirt
04-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Miley has been a successful minor league manager - he just couldn't translate it on the ML level.
You can only manage bad talent so far.....

fearofpopvol1
04-13-2008, 01:59 AM
Since you probably know off the top of your head Doug, what are the dates over the next couple weeks Homer will be pitching? I'd like to go to a game where he is pitching (either in Louisville or during the series in Indianapolis).

dougdirt
04-13-2008, 02:16 AM
He pitches tomorrow (Sunday). I will be there and I think C Trent is also heading up (as he is in Chattanooga right now). He should also pitch on Friday in Louisville. Then he will pitch on Thursday in Indianapolis.

Aronchis
04-13-2008, 03:55 AM
I suspect Bailey may struggle alot with the cool weather. I would wait to it warms back up.

dougdirt
04-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Yeah, it looks like rain/snow in Louisville for today, so I will be staying home and watching the game on the computer.

fearofpopvol1
04-13-2008, 11:56 AM
He pitches tomorrow (Sunday). I will be there and I think C Trent is also heading up (as he is in Chattanooga right now). He should also pitch on Friday in Louisville. Then he will pitch on Thursday in Indianapolis.

Awesome, thanks. I'm definitely going to go to the Thursday Indianapolis game then.

dougdirt
04-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Awesome, thanks. I'm definitely going to go to the Thursday Indianapolis game then.

Given that todays weather is bad in Louisville, I might also make the trek up to Indy for the game. Have to check with some others, but its on the mind.

fearofpopvol1
04-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Given that todays weather is bad in Louisville, I might also make the trek up to Indy for the game. Have to check with some others, but its on the mind.

Have you ever been to see a game there? It's awesome. The field is right in downtown Indianapolis overlooking the rest of the city.

dougdirt
04-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Have not been to Indy before for a baseball game. Hopefully I make it sometime this year.

camisadelgolf
04-13-2008, 06:13 PM
I'll vouch for Indy being a great place to watch a game. Toledo is worth the drive, too.

dougdirt
04-13-2008, 07:52 PM
I'll vouch for Indy being a great place to watch a game. Toledo is worth the drive, too.

Even with the current gas prices (from Cincinnati)?

Aronchis
04-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Gas prices aren't that bad at all. They are only 30-40% of what they could be.

dougdirt
04-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Gas prices aren't that bad at all. They are only 30-40% of what they could be.

They are bad when your car gets 20 MPG and you don't make much money.

SMcGavin
04-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Have not been to Indy before for a baseball game. Hopefully I make it sometime this year.

Victory Field is fantastic. I live right down the street. I think it's $13 for box seats, $8 or $9 for lawn seats. You can often scalp box seats for below value ($10).

DTCromer
04-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Victory Field is fantastic. I live right down the street. I think it's $13 for box seats, $8 or $9 for lawn seats. You can often scalp box seats for below value ($10).

Yup. . my friend lives at the Canal St. apartments and I often visit him as I live waaaaaaaaaaay up on the northside.

The park is amazing and it's definitely one of the best minor league parks in the league.

Also, how does the Postponement of Louisville's game affect Homer's starting day for the Indy series?

camisadelgolf
04-14-2008, 07:39 AM
Even with the current gas prices (from Cincinnati)?

I have no idea. What does gas cost in the States nowadays? If it's less than $4/gallon, and you can share the fare with two other friends, I'd do it.

dougdirt
04-14-2008, 01:09 PM
I have no idea. What does gas cost in the States nowadays? If it's less than $4/gallon, and you can share the fare with two other friends, I'd do it.

Yeah, its about 3.30 or so, but the problem is finding three friends who want to drive that long to go watch minor league baseball.

camisadelgolf
04-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Yeah, its about 3.30 or so, but the problem is finding three friends who want to drive that long to go watch minor league baseball.

Really? I never have trouble finding friends. They're called Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, and Rosie Palmer (who also has some friends of her own).

But seriously, I know what you're going through. I'll just say that if the opportunity ever comes up, you should take advantage of it. The best times of my life have been during minor league baseball tours, and I particularly enjoyed Toledo's ballpark.

SarasotaFan
04-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Really? I never have trouble finding friends. They're called Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, and Rosie Palmer (who also has some friends of her own).

But seriously, I know what you're going through. I'll just say that if the opportunity ever comes up, you should take advantage of it. The best times of my life have been during minor league baseball tours, and I particularly enjoyed Toledo's ballpark.Where all have you gone ? I used to live in the Cincy area but didn't get out to visit the minor league stadiums that much.

camisadelgolf
04-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Where all have you gone ? I used to live in the Cincy area but didn't get out to visit the minor league stadiums that much.

I've been to all the International League cities, all the Midwest League cities except Wisconsin, all the Southern League North Division cities, Montgomery, Akron, Asheville, Lexington, Erie, Myrtle Beach, Winston-Salem, Lynchburg, Reading, Great Falls, Greensboro, West Virginia, Mobile, and Birmingham. I didn't get to see a lot of the Virginia-area teams play games, though, because of weather. I used to go on a tour every summer, and I'd still do it if I could. If I ever return to the States for an extended period of time, I'll definitely do it again. I've always wanted to check out all the Rookie League teams. Words can't describe how much fun I've had.

SarasotaFan
04-14-2008, 04:11 PM
and now moeller is called up...

SarasotaFan
04-14-2008, 04:12 PM
I've been to all the International League cities, all the Midwest League cities except Wisconsin, all the Southern League North Division cities, Montgomery, Akron, Asheville, Lexington, Erie, Myrtle Beach, Winston-Salem, Lynchburg, Reading, Great Falls, Greensboro, West Virginia, Mobile, and Birmingham. I didn't get to see a lot of the Virginia-area teams play games, though, because of weather. I used to go on a tour every summer, and I'd still do it if I could. If I ever return to the States for an extended period of time, I'll definitely do it again. I've always wanted to check out all the Rookie League teams. Words can't describe how much fun I've had.where are you now ?

Screwball
04-15-2008, 12:58 AM
Is there an echo in Louisville? What David Ross had to say about Bailey after tonight's game (via C. Trent):

"By far, that’s the best I’ve seen him throw. It was a joy for me to catch him tonight. He’s a totally different pitcher. We talked for a long time about pitching with a purpose, and things he’s done."

SarasotaFan
04-15-2008, 06:50 AM
Is there an echo in Louisville? What David Ross had to say about Bailey after tonight's game (via C. Trent):
Maybe Ross thinks it will get him off the DL faster....seemed to get a quick promotion for Moeller haha

blumj
04-15-2008, 09:47 AM
and now moeller is called up...
Yep, the Yankees are in a bit of a pickle right now. Posada's shoulder is still bothering him, so he's been DHing, and their Molina pulled a hammy. If they hit for Moeller, and Posada has to catch, they lose the DH and everyone who gets on base gets free extra bases.

camisadelgolf
04-15-2008, 10:19 AM
where are you now ?

I'm in Germany, near a city called Reutlingen (about an hour's drive south of Stuttgart).

SarasotaFan
04-15-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm in Germany, near a city called Reutlingen (about an hour's drive south of Stuttgart).
Oh my...why are you there ? In the service ?

camisadelgolf
04-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Oh my...why are you there ? In the service ?

No, my favorite girlfriend lives here.

dougdirt
04-17-2008, 12:31 AM
No, my favorite girlfriend lives here.

Where do the lesser favorites live? :D

camisadelgolf
04-17-2008, 11:40 PM
Where do the lesser favorites live? :D

Key_Mastur's mom's house is just one example. :cool: