PDA

View Full Version : When Ross comes off the DL, who goes down?

fearofpopvol1
04-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Thoughts? It's supposed to be coming real soon.

I don't know why, but I have a feeling it'll be Votto going down. EdE is a possibility, but he helped himself today. It won't be Castro, though I think there is a real chance he's a goner once Gonzo comes back. Hopper is a possibility I guess, but I just don't see it. If Hatte or Freel were traded for minor leaguers, that could solve the problem too, but I don't see it. Bako seems to be the key to the Dominican Duo.

RedsManRick
04-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Wouldn't surprised to see Votto go down either. I can't see them demoting/releasing Bako. Even though he's having some good ABs and stinging the ball, the hits just aren't falling in for JV, and Dusty is giving the action to Hatteberg. At least a demotion would get him regular playing time.

That said, we really don't need to carry Freel and Hopper. Just too similar. Hopper is probably the other guess, given Freel's contract and defensively flexibility. I imagine he has options still too.

VR
04-11-2008, 12:55 AM
I'd stick Javy on the DL w/ his bad hammy.

Cedric
04-11-2008, 01:06 AM
Edwin has no shot of going down. I think they find a way to move Javy to the DL and buy some time to make a move.

RedFanAlways1966
04-11-2008, 08:51 AM
I'm with the Javy to DL scenario.

flyer85
04-11-2008, 10:12 AM
either be Javy to DL or Votto to AAA. One thing to remember is that the Bako's hitting is a fluke and regression to mean will come hard and fast at some point.

BTW, I would release Bako. There is a reason he cames as an NRI.

Benihana
04-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Ross can go down, that'd be fine with me.

NJReds
04-11-2008, 10:51 AM
either be Javy to DL or Votto to AAA. One thing to remember is that the Bako's hitting is a fluke and regression to mean will come hard and fast at some point.

If Bako's seen as the best handler of pitchers, at what point do you deal with the lack of offense? It's not like Ross or Javy are going to put up Jorge Posada numbers offensively.

KronoRed
04-11-2008, 02:05 PM
This teams lack of O tells me you can't go with a black hole in any spot.

Of course Ross could very well be a black hole himself.

IMO it will be Votto who heads down to AAA.

redsrule2500
04-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Javy for sure. Or just somehow trade Hatte.

RedlegJake
04-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Bako's start is fool's gold. If I thought for a second he could hit .260-.270 and OBP just .300-.310 for the season I'd say his game calling and D was worth it especially if the youngsters are comfortable with him. As abysmal as those numbers would be they'd still represent a career year for him. Ross at least represents the chance of some pop and is a decent defender with a strong arm. Bako should be out when Ross comes back.

HokieRed
04-11-2008, 02:13 PM
We've had far from a black hole in the catching spot to this point. That's not to say that will continue, but I don't see the difference offensively between Ross and a Valentin-Bako split to be that great. It should be Castro, whose value lies in giving you a lot of flexibility in case Keppinger, Phillips, or EE get hurt, but we've now got capable players at Louisville with options left who could be brought if that happens. Seems to me the clear choice is Castro.

Far East
04-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Castro goes, Phillips becomes the backup shortstop, with Freel then subbing for BP at 2B -- until Gonzalez returns.

Weakens the "D" but strengthens the "O"

WMR
04-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Getting rid of Castro will improve this ballclub in every facet of the game. From offense to defense.

BRM
04-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Getting rid of Castro will improve this ballclub in every facet of the game. From offense to defense.

What would you do with your Castro jersey then? I know you wear it several times a week.

Highlifeman21
04-11-2008, 05:27 PM
What would you do with your Castro jersey then? I know you wear it several times a week.

Now that March Madness is over, his Castro jersey gets the most wear.

A couple of weeks ago, he had hard choices between his Battier or Redick Duke jerseys.

WMR
04-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Better question: What will I do about my "Manos de Oro" tattoo.

I'm not going to tell you where it is. :eek:

dabvu2498
04-11-2008, 05:29 PM
I could've sworn I saw WMR wearing an orange #5 recently.

Back to the topic at hand... I'm on board with dumping Castro, ASAP, of course. Who will it be... Only Kriv knows... and he ain't saying.

WMR
04-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Now that March Madness is over, his Castro jersey gets the most wear.

A couple of weeks ago, he had hard choices between his Battier or Redick Duke jerseys.

:barf:

You're never TRULY out of TP in the WilyMo household.

BRM
04-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Better question: What will I do about my "Manos de Oro" tattoo.

I'm not going to tell you where it is. :eek:

Cover it up with a "Valentin - The Chick Magnet" tattoo.

Highlifeman21
04-11-2008, 05:31 PM
I don't see Castro being dumped until Gonzalez comes off the DL.

When Gonzalez comes off the DL, I wouldn't be surprised if Krivsky did the unthinkable and kept Castro on the roster.

WMR
04-11-2008, 05:33 PM
How would he have to manipulate the roster to do that?

Highlifeman21
04-11-2008, 05:34 PM
:barf:

You're never TRULY out of TP in the WilyMo household.

Instead of FCB betting that round for everyone if Cueto hit 96 on the GABP gun, he should have bet that he'd be photographed wearing an authentic Juan Castro jersey.

When Castro leaves the roster (hopefully soon), just think of how the value of all Castro's memorabilia will skyrocket!

RedsManRick
04-11-2008, 05:34 PM
The list of guys who might be gone:

Hopper
Bako
Votto
Castro

Freel and Valentin won't be cut; I just can't see it. Barring a trade, 2 of those 4 have to be moved to make room for Ross and Gonzalez.

BRM
04-11-2008, 05:35 PM

Do you mean when Ross comes back? Votto, Hopper or one of the pitchers goes. My prediction is Javy goes to the DL.

Highlifeman21
04-11-2008, 05:35 PM

My best guess would be that Freel or Hopper leaves town in some capacity.

My worst case guess is that Votto goes to Louisville when Gonzalez comes off the DL, and Castro stays in Cincinnati.

BRM
04-11-2008, 05:37 PM
The list of guys who might be gone:

Hopper
Bako
Votto
Castro

Freel and Valentin won't be cut; I just can't see it. Barring a trade, 2 of those 4 have to be moved to make room for Ross and Gonzalez.

Or they could go with 11 pitchers and send Coffey down.

Spitball
04-11-2008, 07:05 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Ross moved. Catching is thin around baseball right now, and he might draw the most interest. Some team out there will see him as a more attractive alternative to their current backup and may even possibly see him as a starter.

Vada Pinson Fan
04-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Edwin has no shot of going down. I think they find a way to move Javy to the DL and buy some time to make a move.

Agreed. Valentin to the DL and look for Tampa Bay to try and land Freel.

mth123
04-12-2008, 06:20 AM
I don't see Castro being dumped until Gonzalez comes off the DL.

When Gonzalez comes off the DL, I wouldn't be surprised if Krivsky did the unthinkable and kept Castro on the roster.

I think that last night's line-up against the lefty is very telling. The fact that Dusty chose to start Votto at 1B against a lefty insead of moving Keppinger to 1B and starting Castro at SS, may be a signal that Castro is a goner. Maybe not, but last night's situation seems to be Castro's best situation for playing time. If he isn't going to start in that situation, then he seems to be a guy that is there only as an emergency replacement who can play SS. That may play into him staying when Ross returns, but I don't see him surviving Gonzalez.

I could see Hatte dealt at some point with Javy moving tothe LHPH role. Seattle looks like a team that could use Hatte as a potential replacement DH or a LH alternative to Richie Sexson.

Highlifeman21
04-12-2008, 10:50 AM
I think that last night's line-up against the lefty is very telling. The fact that Dusty chose to start Votto at 1B against a lefty insead of moving Keppinger to 1B and starting Castro at SS, may be a signal that Castro is a goner. Maybe not, but last night's situation seems to be Castro's best situation for playing time. If he isn't going to start in that situation, then he seems to be a guy that is there only as an emergency replacement who can play SS. That may play into him staying when Ross returns, but I don't see him surviving Gonzalez.

I could see Hatte dealt at some point with Javy moving tothe LHPH role. Seattle looks like a team that could use Hatte as a potential replacement DH or a LH alternative to Richie Sexson.

I was definitely surprised to see Votto in the lineup last night.

Seemed so unlike The Dusty. I figured Hatteberg was a lock.

KronoRed
04-12-2008, 02:57 PM
I still don't see the Reds dumping Castro until AGon is back, they have nobody else who can play SS.

Will M
04-12-2008, 03:21 PM
I agree that Castro goes when Gonzalez comes off the DL ( not Ross ).

Jpup
04-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Castro gets DFA'd.

pedro
04-12-2008, 04:27 PM
I still don't see the Reds dumping Castro until AGon is back, they have nobody else who can play SS.

Hey, the fact that you're even entertaining the idea that they'll cut him at all is a giant leap forward. that NC air must be good for you :)

KronoRed
04-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Hey, the fact that you're even entertaining the idea that they'll cut him at all is a giant leap forward. that NC air must be good for you :)

I've been pleasantly surprised that Dusty hasn't had him starting, now Krivsky can surprise me by DFA'ing him ASAGR :D

*BaseClogger*
04-12-2008, 11:20 PM
So much for Valentin to the DL...