PDA

View Full Version : The best trade not made...

Kingspoint
04-11-2008, 02:53 AM
Athletics placed RHP Rich Harden on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 3, with a strained back muscle.

Manager Bob Geren said the Athletics will shut Harden down for an undetermined number of days before letting him try to throw again, so he might not return when eligible next Friday. Lenny DiNardo is likely to start in his place Saturday.

NDReds9
04-11-2008, 04:34 AM
Who was he in line to be traded for?

Jefferson24
04-11-2008, 08:49 AM
The Reds not making a move for Bedard looks pretty smart right now too.

Caveman Techie
04-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Who was he in line to be traded for?

Homer Bailey, Jay Bruce, Johnny Cueto, Josh Hamilton, and Edwin Encarnacion. The rumours at the time were pretty much pick any three of those names. I think (nothing solid) Jay Bruce was the sticking point and where talks broke down.

TheBigLebowski
04-11-2008, 11:02 AM
I think the non-Bedard trade is my fave at this point. I've watched him both times he's pitched this season (thank you very much, MLB Direct Ticket!!) and he looks like damaged goods. It pains me to think of what we would have had to give up for him...at least the package Harden would have required would have been a lot less impressive.

SultanOfSwing
04-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Homer Bailey, Jay Bruce, Johnny Cueto, Josh Hamilton, and Edwin Encarnacion. The rumours at the time were pretty much pick any three of those names. I think (nothing solid) Jay Bruce was the sticking point and where talks broke down.
I think you may be confusing Rich Harden with Danny Haren. I really doubt that the Reds were pursuing Harden at all, and certainly not for Bruce, Cueto, or Bailey.

I believe many people confuse the two, as they have very similar names. :)

Caveman Techie
04-11-2008, 01:04 PM
I think you may be confusing Rich Harden with Danny Haren. I really doubt that the Reds were pursuing Harden at all, and certainly not for Bruce, Cueto, or Bailey.

I believe many people confuse the two, as they have very similar names. :)

You may be right, I also think this may have been the rumoured price for Bedard also. So many trade rumours it's hard to keep up. :beerme:

Kingspoint
04-11-2008, 02:44 PM
You're right....it was Blanton. Well, that's still the best trade not made. The team is in great shape right now by not having traded away any pitchers.

CarolinaRedleg
04-11-2008, 02:50 PM
I'd much rather have the young core of players we kept in house than what it would have taken for Blanton.

Good non-move Krivs.