PDA

View Full Version : Todd Frazier 3rd and Homer Bailey 4th on Baseball America's first Hot Sheet of 2008

OnBaseMachine
04-11-2008, 02:32 PM
No. 3 TODD FRAZIER, SS REDS
Team: Low Class A Dayton (Midwest)
Born: Feb. 12, 1986 in Point Pleasant, N.J.
Ht.: 6-3. Wt.: 215. Bats: R. Throws: R.
School: Rutgers.
Acquired: Selected by Reds in supplemental first round (34th overall) of 2007 draft; signed July 5, 2007.
Ranking: Ranked seventh in Reds system in 2008 Prospect Handbook
Why He's Here: .476/.621/1.190 in 21 at-bats with 3 2Bs, a minor-league leading 4 HRs and 8 BBs with only 2 Ks.
The Scoop: The No. 1 prospect in the Pioneer League in 2007 after hitting .319/.409/.513 for Billings, Frazier hasn't stopped hitting since arriving in Dayton. Frazier is riding a 7-game hitting streak, the highlight of which was his two home run night, including a walk-off, against Fort Wayne on April 7. Projected to have 20-25 home run power, Frazier is tied for the Low Class-A home run lead with four in eight games.

No. 4 HOMER BAILEY, RHP REDS
Team: Triple-A Louisville (International)
Born: May 3, 1986 in La Grange, Texas.
Ht.: 6-4. Wt.: 205. Bats: R. Throws: R.
School: La Grange (Texas) HS.
Career Transactions: Selected by Reds in first round (seventh overall) of 2004 draft; signed July 22, 2004.
Ranking: Ranked No. 2 in Reds system in 2008 Prospect Handbook
Why He's Here: 1-0, 0.71 in 12.2 IP, 9 hits, 1 R, 2 BB, 9 Ks
The Scoop: Rallying from a poor spring (5.21 ERA, 24 hits and 16 walks in 19 innings), Bailey is off to about the best start imaginable. From a performance standpoint, those two walks he's issued are key. Though he's exceedingly hard to hit (career 7.15 hits and 0.51 home runs per nine rates in the minors), Bailey found last year he couldn't always contain the damage while walking four-plus batters per nine innings.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2008/265901.html

They are holding a chat at 3:00 if you would like to ask a question about a Reds prospect or any prospect in general:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/chat.php?id=2008041101

dougdirt
04-11-2008, 02:36 PM
I am honestly surprised Daryl Thompson isn't on there.

princeton
04-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Thompson's hotter than Bailey.

TRF
04-11-2008, 02:39 PM
And Waring is nearly as hot as Frazier. It's been a good week for the Reds' farm.

OnBaseMachine
04-11-2008, 02:42 PM
One of my questions to BA is why isn't Brandon Waring on there. I forgot about Daryl Thompson and his 12 innings of 0 ER, 13 strikeout ball so far.

dougdirt
04-11-2008, 02:49 PM
One of my questions to BA is why isn't Brandon Waring on there. I forgot about Daryl Thompson and his 12 innings of 0 ER, 13 strikeout ball so far.

more impressively, the 1 walk and 5 hits to go with those numbers.... so far the kid has been unreal.

OnBaseMachine
04-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Has anyone sent in any question?

I've sent about five or six. Here's one I used:

Name: Todd Frazier

Just curious Ben, with the hot start I'm off to, how long do you think I'll spend in Dayton?

I also ask him why Thompson and Waring were left off and another one about Thompson possibly being the best player to come out of the Kearns/Lopez trade.

dougdirt
04-11-2008, 03:00 PM
I sent one about Thompson and one about a player not on our team.

OnBaseMachine
04-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Sweet! I had two of my questions answered back-to-back!

Q: Brandon from Charleston, WV asks:
With Johnny Cueto and Edinson Volquez in the majors and Homer Bailey in AAA, do the Reds have the best trio of young starters in baseball?
A:

Ben Badler: Maybe. I think the Dodgers' Billingsley/Kershaw/McDonald is in the mix. So is the Yankees' Chamberlain/Hughes/Kennedy. Then there's the Rays with Kazmir/Garza/Shields, with Price, McGee and Davis behind them not too far off, so it depends how far down the line you want to go.

Q: Todd Frazier from Dayton, Ohio asks:
What's up Ben? With the hot start I'm off to, how long do you think I'll be in Dayton?
A:

Ben Badler: Todd, the Reds think you're a shortstop (everyone else seems to think you're a third baseman), and they have Chris Valaika at short in High-A off to a hot start himself. Your bat definitely belongs in Sarasota right now. It's a challenge in asset management for any farm director when there's a prospect jam like the Reds have, but it's definitely a good problem to have.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/chat.php?id=2008041101&rnd=19

dougdirt
04-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Sweet! I had two of my questions answered back-to-back!

Q: Brandon from Charleston, WV asks:
With Johnny Cueto and Edinson Volquez in the majors and Homer Bailey in AAA, do the Reds have the best trio of young starters in baseball?
A:

Ben Badler: Maybe. I think the Dodgers' Billingsley/Kershaw/McDonald is in the mix. So is the Yankees' Chamberlain/Hughes/Kennedy. Then there's the Rays with Kazmir/Garza/Shields, with Price, McGee and Davis behind them not too far off, so it depends how far down the line you want to go.

Q: Todd Frazier from Dayton, Ohio asks:
What's up Ben? With the hot start I'm off to, how long do you think I'll be in Dayton?
A:

Ben Badler: Todd, the Reds think you're a shortstop (everyone else seems to think you're a third baseman), and they have Chris Valaika at short in High-A off to a hot start himself. Your bat definitely belongs in Sarasota right now. It's a challenge in asset management for any farm director when there's a prospect jam like the Reds have, but it's definitely a good problem to have.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/chat.php?id=2008041101&rnd=19

haha, it generally pays off to pretend to be a player to have your question answered.:thumbup:

OnBaseMachine
04-11-2008, 03:23 PM
haha, it generally pays off to pretend to be a player to have your question answered.:thumbup:

Yup. They always seem to answer those questions. :D

OnBaseMachine
04-12-2008, 05:22 PM
John Sickels held a Q&A yesterday and answered a question from Doug:

Doug - So far this season he (Thompson) has sat 90-94 MPH with his FB and hit as high as 97 MPH. If he has turned a corner in terms of his FB after recovering from his shoulder surgery, how legit of a prospect can he become?

Sickels - I have liked Thompson since he was in high school: I Shadow-drafted him for my fake Twins farm system. If he's fully healthy and can sustain that velocity, he could end up being an impressive pitcher...number 3 starter possibly. That's a big if and assumes durability which he has not shown to this point. He might end up as a really good short reliever.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2008/4/11/391791/all-questions-answered-thr