PDA

View Full Version : There's some righties in Lousiville tearing it up...

Matt700wlw
04-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Fay:

Two of the guys who were impressive in the spring -- Jerry Hairston Jr. and Jolbert Cabrera -- are tearing it up for Louisville. Hairston is hittng .467 with three doubles and two triples in 30 at-bats. Cabrera is hitting .375 with a five doubles and a .452 on-base percentage in 24 at-bats.

Given the Reds struggles against lefties, it might be time to get one of the two up here. Both are right-handed hitters who can play all over the place.

CrackerJack
04-12-2008, 04:27 PM
But do they have veteran presence and clubhouse intangibles?

mth123
04-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Fay:

Two of the guys who were impressive in the spring -- Jerry Hairston Jr. and Jolbert Cabrera -- are tearing it up for Louisville. Hairston is hittng .467 with three doubles and two triples in 30 at-bats. Cabrera is hitting .375 with a five doubles and a .452 on-base percentage in 24 at-bats.

Given the Reds struggles against lefties, it might be time to get one of the two up here. Both are right-handed hitters who can play all over the place.

Hairston has been playing some SS. DFA Castro and get him up here.

RBA
04-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Unfortunately, Major League Baseball is, "a.....hole.....naba.....lebel" Can they take it to a "hole naba lebel"????

Spring~Fields
04-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Unfortunately, Major League Baseball is, "a.....hole.....naba.....lebel" Can they take it to a "hole naba lebel"????

Good point as we have all seen numbers in the minors not match even close at the MLB level. Those guys have past history. Still I would welcome an excuse to move Juan and thank him for his time. ;)

LincolnparkRed
04-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Good point as we have all seen numbers in the minors not match even close at the MLB level. Those guys have past history. Still I would welcome an excuse to move Juan and thank him for his time. ;) exactly, it's not like Dusty is really using him all that often anyway. Maybe Castro's walking papers are waiting for Agon, at least that's what I hope.

reds44
04-12-2008, 05:23 PM
That seems likes a painfully obvious move.

IslandRed
04-12-2008, 05:53 PM

To me, it depends on when Gonzalez is expected back, since I'm presuming Hairston would be shipped out when Gonzalez returns, just like I expect Castro would be. I'm also presuming Hairston is out of options and would have to clear waivers to be outrighted back to Louisville. So I wouldn't expect them to do it for a very short-term stint if they care about keeping him around. But if AG is going to be on the shelf for another month, then go ahead.

reds44
04-12-2008, 05:58 PM
To me, it depends on when Gonzalez is expected back, since I'm presuming Hairston would be shipped out when Gonzalez returns, just like I expect Castro would be. I'm also presuming Hairston is out of options and would have to clear waivers to be outrighted back to Louisville. So I wouldn't expect them to do it for a very short-term stint if they care about keeping him around. But if AG is going to be on the shelf for another month, then go ahead.
I'd rather have Hairston than Castro and Freel.

Hairston comes up, Castro out.
Gonzalez gets activated, Freel out.

KronoRed
04-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Hairston? check his career numbers, AAAA player.

Cabrera would be worth a look

reds44
04-12-2008, 11:08 PM
Hairston? check his career numbers, AAAA player.

Cabrera would be worth a look
Hairston: .253/.324/.358
Cabrera: .258/.305/.362

So what exactly do you see in Cabrera that you don't in Hairston?

KronoRed
04-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Less history of stinking it up in the majors.

But really neither is an answer.

Kc61
04-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Cabrera should be given a shot as a platoon righty hitter at first base. A stopgap for sure, but worth a try.

redsrule2500
04-13-2008, 01:10 AM
Bring up one of them to play 3B and send down EE....not that it will fix the right/lefty thing tho

Spring~Fields
04-13-2008, 01:44 AM
Cabrera should be given a shot as a platoon righty hitter at first base. A stopgap for sure, but worth a try.

That seems very reasonable to me especially for first base, and the guy can play other positions as well. When Gonzalez comes back he will go to short and perhaps Baker will use Kepp at third if EE continues to struggle.

pedro
04-13-2008, 01:53 AM

I pretty skeptical of the idea of bringing up a 35 year old guy who hasn't played in MLB in 3 years. I suppose if the price is losing castro off the 40 man roster but I wouldn't want to lose anyone else in such an experiment.

PuffyPig
04-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Bring up one of them to play 3B and send down EE....not that it will fix the right/lefty thing tho

EE>Cabrerra and Hairston.

And it's not even close.

RedlegJake
04-13-2008, 12:28 PM
EE>Cabrerra and Hairston.

And it's not even close.

Completely agree. Even a slumping EE is a better all round player than either of those guys. Plus, lets face it, Hairston and Cabrera are nothing more than stop gap measures, neither is really a good player. EE, OTOH, is a real part of the Reds chances.

savafan
04-13-2008, 01:49 PM
I think it's time to talk to Castro and see if he'll agree to retire and retain him in the system as a coach for some of these Latin players coming up.

KronoRed
04-13-2008, 02:05 PM
He's the backup SS and when AGon comes back he'll be the insurance in Louisville (hopefully)

Kc61
04-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Completely agree. Even a slumping EE is a better all round player than either of those guys. Plus, lets face it, Hairston and Cabrera are nothing more than stop gap measures, neither is really a good player. EE, OTOH, is a real part of the Reds chances.

EE is tied for the most errors in the league. He is hitting .167. For the short term, the AAA guys would probably be a huge improvement.

RedlegJake
04-13-2008, 03:41 PM
EE is tied for the most errors in the league. He is hitting .167. For the short term, the AAA guys would probably be a huge improvement.

Baseball ain't short term. We're not even 10% of the way into the season.