PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs possibly has figured it out!!!

redhawk61
04-12-2008, 09:56 PM
3-3 tonight now in the 7th, hitting .343 on the year with 2 RBI and 5 SB's
---------------------------------------------

As a side note SS Valaika is 2-3 tonight hitting .381 on the year
Fransisco 1-3 .381
Travis Wood pitched 5 innings 4 hits 6K's 2 BB's an alright 0.00 ERA

Bruce 1-4 hitting .317 only 1 K on the night so after a lot of K's accumlated early he is starting to slow that down
Lehr 7 innings 5 hits 5K's 1 BB

dougdirt
04-12-2008, 10:11 PM
Stubbs actually has 7 SB's this year. He had two more tonight. Its early though, and I don't think he is going to hit .340 by any stretch of the imagination, but I do think he is making some adjustments to his game.

redhawk61
04-12-2008, 11:16 PM
he finished 4-5 tonight now at .351

RedsManRick
04-13-2008, 01:58 AM
I saw your questions on saber-scouting Doug... Stubbs definitely seems to split the crowd.

dougdirt
04-13-2008, 03:08 AM
I saw your questions on saber-scouting Doug... Stubbs definitely seems to split the crowd.

Yeah.... but as they say over at saber-scouting, Stubbs holds the key to the treasure chest.

savafan
04-13-2008, 01:25 PM
From rotoworld:

Drew Stubbs had four hits, two steals and four runs scored Saturday for Single-A Sarasota.
The Reds would love to see Stubbs starting hitting for average, but that still figures to be his primary weakness going forward. At .351/.442/.432, he's off to a nice start this year. However, the 2006 first-round pick had an outstanding April last year and still finished with a unexceptional .270/.364/.421 line in low-A ball.

Benihana
04-13-2008, 02:46 PM
I would like to see Stubbs in Chattanooga by the end of next month. But I like what he's doing so far. I hope Mesoraco can have similar success once the Billings season starts.

redhawk61
04-13-2008, 06:55 PM
If he keeps hitting like he is then I don't see why he wouldn't. The jump to AA is said to be the toughest and if he were to magically move up and continue hitting, him in AAA would not be out of the question. If he did that and got a September call up and hit well then, well that would answer a lot of questions for next year. Patterson could be moved to LF with an outfield of Patterson, Stubbs, Bruce, that would be the strongest outfield defensively I have seen in a long time. Granted that is a bunch of if's, but it could happen and the Reds could save themselves a butt load of money with Griff and Dunn of the books. Would be a nice situation.

Any who, I can hope and dream:thumbup:

RedlegJake
04-14-2008, 11:29 AM
It's encouraging but he has to keep it up and do it at AA, too. A full season between High A and AA with those kind of numbers and I'll be convinced. I still doubt he ever hits well enough to be a ML starter.

Steve4192
04-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Meh.

Much like all of the 'Drew Stubbs is a bust' bellyaching was way too premature, so is any 'Drew Stubbs has it figured out' rejoicing.

Stubbs seems to have joined Adam Dunn as one of those players who people absolutely love or absolutely hate with no other, more moderate, viewpoints allowed.

dougdirt
04-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Meh.

Much like all of the 'Drew Stubbs is a bust' bellyaching was way too premature, so is any 'Drew Stubbs has it figured out' rejoicing.

Stubbs seems to have joined Adam Dunn as one of those players who people absolutely love or absolutely hate with no other, more moderate, viewpoints allowed.

Spot on take. I am pretty excited though that he does seem to be turning things around. Its not just this year, but going back to his last 300 plate appearances he is hitting pretty good. Compared to his previous 400 plate appearances, where he didn't. I want to see more, but am very encouraged.

Edd Roush
04-14-2008, 03:34 PM
If he keeps hitting like he is then I don't see why he wouldn't. The jump to AA is said to be the toughest and if he were to magically move up and continue hitting, him in AAA would not be out of the question. If he did that and got a September call up and hit well then, well that would answer a lot of questions for next year. Patterson could be moved to LF with an outfield of Patterson, Stubbs, Bruce, that would be the strongest outfield defensively I have seen in a long time. Granted that is a bunch of if's, but it could happen and the Reds could save themselves a butt load of money with Griff and Dunn of the books. Would be a nice situation.

Any who, I can hope and dream:thumbup:

I hope there aren't many Reds' fans thinking like you right now. Just because Dunn has struggled in the first couple weeks of this season, doesn't mean he will continue to for the rest of the season. Dunn was our most important offensive piece last season and for the 2009 Reds to be a legitimate World Series Contender, they are going to need big #44 in that lineup clogging up those bases and knocking out 40 home runs.

TRF
04-14-2008, 03:55 PM
I love that Stubbs can take a BB. I hate that so far in his career he's a bit contact challenged. I love his speed, but hate his lack of SB prowess, though he's perfect this year. He stunk last year. I love that he's a defensive whiz. I worry that he'll never be more than 4th OF ala Dickerson. Stubbs isn't considered the best CF in the system, Dickerson is, and Dickerson has a little pop in his bat. I hate that the realistic timeframe for Stubbs is 2010.

danken12
04-14-2008, 05:01 PM
I love that Stubbs can take a BB. I hate that so far in his career he's a bit contact challenged. I love his speed, but hate his lack of SB prowess, though he's perfect this year. He stunk last year. I love that he's a defensive whiz. I worry that he'll never be more than 4th OF ala Dickerson. Stubbs isn't considered the best CF in the system, Dickerson is, and Dickerson has a little pop in his bat. I hate that the realistic timeframe for Stubbs is 2010.

I'm thinking that Stubbs toe issues last season robbed him of some of his speed, especially regarding the lack of SB's. Hopefully we'll see a healthy season bear that out.

BRM
04-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Dickerson is considered a better centerfielder than Stubbs? Really? That's interesting.

TRF
04-14-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm thinking that Stubbs toe issues last season robbed him of some of his speed, especially regarding the lack of SB's. Hopefully we'll see a healthy season bear that out.

It wasn't a lack of SB's, it was the percentage.

Dickerson is considered a better centerfielder than Stubbs? Really? That's interesting.

That's my understanding, but doug would know better than I.

BRM
04-14-2008, 05:23 PM
That's my understanding, but doug would know better than I.

That's interesting to hear if true. I was under the impression Stubbs the best defensive outfielder in the system. Hopefully Doug chimes in and gives his take.

flyer85
04-14-2008, 05:26 PM
not even 2 weeks into the season.

Goldstein adds a little perspective'

Stubbs had a trio of multi-hit games over the weekend, going 8-for-12 to lift his averages to .375/.457/.450, but is it true progress? He’s still whiffed in every game but one, for a total of 12 in 40 at-bats. That’s a .536 average when Stubbs makes contact, and that’s a rate that is simply not sustainable on any level. Hot start, but the jury is still out.

SarasotaFan
04-14-2008, 05:27 PM
That's interesting to hear if true. I was under the impression Stubbs the best defensive outfielder in the system. Hopefully Doug chimes in and gives his take.

No, he's not...

SarasotaFan
04-14-2008, 05:27 PM

I believe so...

dougdirt
04-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Stubbs and Dickerson are pretty close in terms of CF abilities. Either way, both are VERY good out there.

As for Stubbs stolen base percentage last year.... he had turf toe. One of the main problems with turf toe is pushing off while running. Getting a good jump with turf toe is probably very difficult to do since getting started running is one of the main problems with turf toe. He has great speed. He will be fine so long as he stays healthy in the stolen base department.

As for Stubbs BABIP of .536 not being sustainable.... yeah, very true. Lets look at it though a little more in depth. Generally, your BABIP is LD% +.120. Well, Stubbs LD% this year is 41% (.410). What is .410+.120? .530. He is having strong success this year early on because he his hitting line drives everywhere. It would be one thing if he were out there hitting infield singles all game long, but he isn't (does have 1 bunt single that I know of).

He obviously isn't going to hit .375, but what he is doing so far this year is hitting the ball hard and the harder you hit it, the more likely it is to go for a hit. All BABIPs are not created equally and its very important to take the context of each of them.

SarasotaFan
04-14-2008, 11:07 PM
They should have just cut his toe off last year....