PDA

View Full Version : Pirates series

lo ryder
04-12-2008, 11:15 PM
What happens if the Reds get swept by the Pirates. This is a team most picked to finish last in this weak division.

Does this set the tone for the year or can this talented team turn it around against the lower notch teams and have a good year? I know its early, but it seems they can hold their own against better teams.

Any opinions are appreciated.

Jefferson24
04-13-2008, 12:51 AM
The hitting will get going but the pitching will let off. I'm afraid this years team has let a great opportunity slip by. Start strong, stay strong, finish strong = success. Maybe next year.

goreds2
04-13-2008, 01:17 AM
What happens if the Reds get swept by the Pirates. This is a team most picked to finish last in this weak division.

Does this set the tone for the year or can this talented team turn it around against the lower notch teams and have a good year? I know its early, but it seems they can hold their own against better teams.

Any opinions are appreciated.

All the years Atlanta made the playoffs in the 1990's, they always whipped butt playing the teams with losing records. The Braves then played around .500 against the winning record teams which still easily got them to the postseason.

So yes, you have to beat the sub par teams in demanding fashion.

Maldez
04-13-2008, 09:29 AM
We need Johnny f-n Cueto to be Johnny f-n Cueto today and all will be well.

CarolinaRedleg
04-13-2008, 09:48 AM
This team wins its series against good teams like Arizona and Milwaukee and splits against a tough Philly team. Then it all comes unglued against MLB's Short Bus.

Guess we're going to see this team play to the level of its competition all year long.

Big Hurt
04-13-2008, 10:09 AM
I agree with GoReds2. You have to beat the teams you're supposed to beat and hold your own against strong teams. That will give us a chance. The Pirates seem to know how to adjust to the Reds - set a heavy left handed pitching staff and keep away from the couple of big boppers we have. We have had two good pitching performances so far in this series. We are also going to have the growing pains of youth. I believe Hatte might have snared the bad throws from EE, yesterday. It doesn't look like Votto has that particular skill yet. And yes, EE has to settle down. With a good and experienced defense we win that game 3-2 yesterday.

Jharb74
04-13-2008, 10:47 AM
I've said this a few times before, but as a lifelong Reds fan, why have they always had this problem? One theme I've noticed is they can always beat the 1st place team, and have always had a hard time beating the botton dwellers.

jmac
04-13-2008, 10:59 AM
I've said this a few times before, but as a lifelong Reds fan, why have they always had this problem? One theme I've noticed is they can always beat the 1st place team, and have always had a hard time beating the botton dwellers.

I think Big Hurt hit part of the problem.
The pirates have something that is kryptonite to the reds and that is lefties.
They start Maholm and bring in Marte and Grabow, all lefties and we dont score.
We get 3 off Snell then who do they bring in ? Marte/Grabow. The pirates also have the one guy we will face today ( Grezonlonenyen :D) and Duke.
So while the pirates arent good, they do have a bunch of what is our achillies heel. We also have shown you dont have to be a good lefty to beat us.
Hopefully this series will bring this to the forefront and it will be addressed.

Newman4
04-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Hitting against left-handed pitching is the weakness that needs to be addressed by WK. Valentin, Bako, Freel, Castro, Hopper, Hatte/Votto, etc. is our bench. No RH pop at all. With EE struggling, Kepp and BP can't be the only RH hitters we can count on. Acquiring a RH bat should be a priority.

FlyingPig
04-13-2008, 11:51 AM
I lost a little bet with a Pirate co-worker over this series. Already. Today's game is a moot point for the bet. How frustrating is it when your team out hits a last place team for 2 games and still manages to lose both games? :bang:

bubbachunk
04-13-2008, 04:00 PM
This series summed up in one word: Pitiful

redsupport
04-13-2008, 04:06 PM
griffey and dunn have played on too manylosing teams, little things that winning teams do escape the Reds

Mutaman
04-13-2008, 04:20 PM
My advice: Do't panic. Don't send EE down, don't fire Krinsky, don't fire Dunn. Its only one bad series, 3 days ago we looked terrific. We're going to need a right handed bat soon, and I'm tired of Coffey, but for now, be patient. I still think this team can compete, and i think we're just a year away from something good. Lets let things play out.

jmac
04-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Yes this series is pitiful. However that is baseball.
The reds could sweep the cubs and then everyone is chipper again.
What I dont understand is aome on the gamethread are ready to send Cueto back down.
That my friend is ridciulous imo. Cueto gives up 5 hits in 6 innings. He is a rookie.
Most including myself said,he would have out of every 5 starts, probably 2 real good,2 good, 1 not good.
He has the stuff that I doubt he has games like this very often and even so 6ip 5 er after 2 superb starts isnt exactly getting knocked around.
The real problem is the offense.

jmac
04-13-2008, 04:28 PM
My advice: Do't panic. Don't send EE down, don't fire Krinsky, don't fire Dunn. Its only one bad series, 3 days ago we looked terrific. We're going to need a right handed bat soon, and I'm tired of Coffey, but for now, be patient. I still think this team can compete, and i think we're just a year away from something good. Lets let things play out.
As far as Coffey, I agree.
He toyed with the reds in ST and has been his normal self since. Why send him to louisville unless just help the bats which he would do. Let him get good stats down there and then see if they can trade him.
Nothing against him personally but he looks like the classic AAAA player to me.

Oxblood
04-13-2008, 04:32 PM
We got our asses handed to us.

MotownRed
04-13-2008, 05:58 PM
I attended today's game. It looked like the Reds were going through the motions. First off, they started a scrap line up against Gorzellany who had a 10+ ERA coming into the game. Then they swung at a lot of first pitches. Edwin E and Griffey have absolutely no bat speed right now. Slow bats=topped ground balls and lazy fly balls.

goreds2
04-13-2008, 11:16 PM
We just gotta stay around .500.

The 1975 Reds (108 wins) were only a .500 team on May 1st.......we only have to win 88 to 92 games for the division.

LouisvilleCARDS
04-14-2008, 03:23 AM
I'm really frustrated, but you have to keep thinks in perspective. 23 runners LOB in two games is ridiculous. Maybe the batters didn't get the job done, but thats just a lot of hard luck too. Dunn and EE are sucking it up bad, and today Griffey looked like he was hitting fielding practice to the second baseman. It's a game of streaks though, you would think these guys get back on track, just like Jason Kendall isn't going to hit .500 for the year, these guys aren't going to hit .150. Eventually they revert back to their average usually.

I agree Coffey has to be moved though, I see him as no better than before. When Bray is ready, bring him up. When Gonzalez is ready, bring him up, and if EE is still sucking, sit him and play Gonzalez and have a platoon at third.

TheBigLebowski
04-14-2008, 12:06 PM
What'll happen is Country Kepp to third and Gonzalez to SS - EE to the bench or Louisville.

Coffey will be demoted or released in favor of Bray when he is ready.

I just hope the FO's knee-jerking isn't so severe that they bump Bruce to the bigs too early.