PDA

View Full Version : Sunday April 13th minor league updates

OnBaseMachine
04-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Louisville plays at 1:15 with Homer Bailey making his third start.

Chattanooga is off today.

Sarasota begins at 1:00 with Jordan Smith starting.

Dayton plays a doubleheader beginning at 2:00 with Matt Klinker starting game one and Curtis Partch starting game two.

OnBaseMachine
04-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Louisville game is being delayed due to rain.

OnBaseMachine
04-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Jordan Smith: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

No score after 1.

OnBaseMachine
04-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Smith: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

No score after 2.

dougdirt
04-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Louisville has been postponed already.

dougdirt
04-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Drew Stubbs breaks up the no hitter against Sarasota in the 5th.

OnBaseMachine
04-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Smith: 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

dougdirt
04-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Jordan Smith, 6ip, 3H, 0R, 4K.

Stubbs still with the only hit for the Reds

dougdirt
04-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Dayton is leading 1-0 early thanks to Brandon Menchaca

OnBaseMachine
04-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Stubbs is 2-for-3 with two singles.

AccordinglyReds
04-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Do either of you all think Bailey will stay on rotation for Friday's game, even though today's game is postponed for tomorrow? I'll be going to Friday's game most likely. :)

dougdirt
04-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Doubtful. Not enough time for rest. I don't think they would let him start on short rest.

AccordinglyReds
04-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Doubtful. Not enough time for rest. I don't think they would let him start on short rest.

That's my guess...I wonder if it will be bullpen day. Maybe I'll have to go Saturday, too. ;)

OnBaseMachine
04-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Smith: 7 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K

HBP
04-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Stubbs average is up to .375

Buckeye33
04-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Stubbs average is up to .375

Call him up! The Reds need another lefty in the lineup. ;)

OnBaseMachine
04-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Call him up! The Reds need another lefty in the lineup. ;)

Stubbs is a RH bat.

OnBaseMachine
04-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Dayton lost game one of the DH 4-1.

Frazier: 1-for-4 double
Waring: 2-for-4

Buckeye33
04-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Stubbs is a RH bat.

Oh yeah, even more reason to call him up! :D

Not sure why I thought he was a lefty.

Matt700wlw
04-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Oh yeah, even more reason to call him up! :D

Not sure why I thought he was a lefty.

Because it seems like anybody in this organization that can hit is a lefty

OnBaseMachine
04-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Louisville will play a doubleheader tomorrow beginning at 5:30 with Homer Bailey pitching game one and Tom Shearn game two.

cincyinco
04-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Because it seems like anybody in this organization that can hit is a lefty

Did you just say Stubbs can hit?

Blasphemy!

dougdirt
04-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Did you just say Stubbs can hit?

Blasphemy!

Not on purpose. He said that the lefties can hit. Stubbs is a righty, so its obvious Matt didn't mean it :D

TRF
04-14-2008, 09:15 AM
I'll happily eat crow on my views of Stubbs if he can make some consistent contact. But, it has only been about 10 games.

He was still the wrong guy to pick 1st in that draft.

lollipopcurve
04-14-2008, 09:36 AM
He was still the wrong guy to pick 1st in that draft.

99% of the players drafted will be outperformed by at least one player drafted after them. I'd get used to it.

TRF
04-14-2008, 10:50 AM
99% of the players drafted will be outperformed by at least one player drafted after them. I'd get used to it.

It isn't hindsight though. It was wrong the day of the draft. Stubbs had a nice night. Lincecum K'd 11 batters on the same day, only he did it at the major league level. Stubbs was a bad pick the day of the draft, and he's a bad pick now. If he reaches the majors at all, and has an average major league career, he's a bad pick, because the Reds could have done 2 things on draft day: address a need (SP) and pick the best player available (Lincecum).

That said, he's off to a nice start in a pitcher's league. I hope he continues it, but his career to date says it's unlikely.

lollipopcurve
04-14-2008, 10:54 AM
the Reds could have done 2 things on draft day: address a need (SP) and pick the best player available (Lincecum).

A true CF was also a need. And BPA is always subjective.

TRF
04-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Not nearly as much as SP. not even by half.

dougdirt
04-14-2008, 12:36 PM
It isn't hindsight though. It was wrong the day of the draft. Stubbs had a nice night. Lincecum K'd 11 batters on the same day, only he did it at the major league level. Stubbs was a bad pick the day of the draft, and he's a bad pick now. If he reaches the majors at all, and has an average major league career, he's a bad pick, because the Reds could have done 2 things on draft day: address a need (SP) and pick the best player available (Lincecum).

That said, he's off to a nice start in a pitcher's league. I hope he continues it, but his career to date says it's unlikely.

People continuously forget how rough Tim lincecum was in college. Drew Stubbs struck out a lot. Tim Lincecum walked 5.68 batters per 9 innings in college. To me, they were very similar players in terms of risk. Both were very toolsy players (Lincecum has his raw stuff and ability but walked more batters than almost everyone in baseball) who needed some work done. Because of what Lincecum has done I think people tend to forget how much improvement he made from his last year in college to now. Drew on the flip side had some work to do out of college as well. He is still doing that work, but over his last 300 plate appearances, we are starting to see the benefits of that work show up. It didn't happen as fast as Lincecum's improvements did, but lets not pretend like Tim was a slam dunk obvious no doubt pick. He wasn't. He had several warts himself (unorthodox mechanics, very small body, very poor control, inconsistent release point (which he still has)).

As for drafting for need, it has been and always will be a horrible choice to do that. The Reds may have done it with taking Stubbs, but had they taken Tim, it would have been the same thing. Sometimes when you draft for need it also happens to be the BPA. Sometimes its not, but it should never come into play while drafting. Take the BPA and move forward.

camisadelgolf
04-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Also, before I throw up at the sight of Tim Lincecum's name in a thread that is (and shouldn't be) about Drew Stubbs, I'd like to remind everyone that Lincecum's two managers with the Reds so far would've been Jerry Narron and Dutsy Baker.

Also, just to play devil's advocate, and admittedly it's a very small sample size, the Reds' problem this season isn't so much starting pitching nearly as much as it is runners being left on base. With Stubbs' speed, I don't think he'd be left on base quite as much as, say, Ken Griffey, Jr., Scott Hatteberg, or Adam Dunn (who all have very high chances of leaving the team soon).

princeton
04-14-2008, 01:44 PM
the Reds have not acquired a short righthanded pitcher since the Krivsky administration began. Edinson Volquez is the shortest, and he's 6'1". Instead, they draft and trade for gigantic righthanders, while exposing or trading little guys like Carlos Guevara and Calvin Medlock. other than Cueto, Ramon Ramirez is the only little RHPer on the roster.

Even if Stubbs was not the draft pick, I suspect that Lincecum would not have been the Reds' choice. He just doesn't fit the profile. It's ironic that the brightest star in the Reds' system is a short RHPer, Cueto.

Those three RHPers listed as possible Reds targets by BA? Each is very tall. BA might be onto something.