PDA

View Full Version : Don't look now, this could be a wild season

savafan
04-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Has anyone else noticed that our Reds, the Royals, Rays, and Marlins have all looked pretty good so far in this young season? I would love to see all four of these teams play contending baseball into the latter days of the season, and show that big budget payrolls aren't everything.

RedlegJake
04-13-2008, 12:06 PM
The Rays could be scary good in a couple seasons but by then they'll be trading all that talent for more kids. After all you don't want to actually pay for good talent do you?

The Royals won't contend but they'll spoil a lot of teams seasons come September. They have a lot of unsung young talent. How well the veterans they've brought in perform will have a lot to say about how long they last. Greinke, though, looks to have finally found himself.

I agre with you, though - it'd be great to see at least a couple of these teams in the hunt come late September.

savafan
04-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Greinke does look like he's found himself, and check out Edwin Jackson's numbers so far this year. :eek:

redsrule2500
04-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Has anyone else noticed that our Reds, the Royals, Rays, and Marlins have all looked pretty good so far in this young season? I would love to see all four of these teams play contending baseball into the latter days of the season, and show that big budget payrolls aren't everything.

The Marlins have had enough recent success, but yeah with their insanely low payroll it would be cool to see them actually contending against the Mets.

TeamBoone
04-13-2008, 12:41 PM
I heard A-Rod's salary is higher than the Marlin's entire payroll!

savafan
04-13-2008, 12:47 PM
I heard A-Rod's salary is higher than the Marlin's entire payroll!

Yeah, by about $7,000,000

Patrick Bateman
04-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Greinke does look like he's found himself, and check out Edwin Jackson's numbers so far this year. :eek:

I don't know.... I still see a guy with the same command problems he always has. His K:BB is stuck at 1.67 which is only marginally higher than his career average. His strikeout numbers are only around league average.

To me he looks like a guy that had some fortunate luck in a 2 game sample in that he isn't really pitching any better than usual. I think his numbers will revert back quickly.

Falls City Beer
04-13-2008, 02:00 PM
My guess is that nearly all of the above clubs will be an afterthought by mid-May.

KronoRed
04-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Sadly I agree, every year it seems a little club that could looks good then inevitably falls back to earth.

*BaseClogger*
04-13-2008, 05:46 PM
I don't know.... I still see a guy with the same command problems he always has. His K:BB is stuck at 1.67 which is only marginally higher than his career average. His strikeout numbers are only around league average.

To me he looks like a guy that had some fortunate luck in a 2 game sample in that he isn't really pitching any better than usual. I think his numbers will revert back quickly.

same thing with Zack Greinke...

Patrick Bateman
04-13-2008, 06:33 PM
same thing with Zack Greinke...

Ya his strikeouts have been non existent. But he was good enough last year that I think he can get things started in that department.

ramp101
04-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Fish have no pitching... yet

if they can somehow hang around for a few months, the cavalry in the form of Anibal Sanchez and Sergio Mitre will be back

Josh Johnson could be back around August too

but our offense would have to carry us for awhile (which it could.... but thats a tough task)