PDA

View Full Version : Riding Mower Suggestions

Jpup
04-14-2008, 04:22 AM
I have a 1.5 acre lot that I will be mowing since I have a new house that I bought in December. I need to buy a mower and everything I have seen suggest a 48" cut mower. I want a zero turn, but think that might be needless for me. I have looked online and asked around without much luck on a used one. I guess I'll have to make the plunge for a new mower which is going to cost anywhere from $1200 to $5000 depending on what I get.

What do you guys suggest?

WMR
04-14-2008, 04:24 AM
John Deere.

Make the drive up to Bevins Motor Co. in Georgetown or Richmond and I'll make sure you get a hell of a deal.

Jpup
04-14-2008, 04:25 AM
John Deere.

Make the drive up to Bevins Motor Co. in Georgetown or Richmond and I'll make sure you get a hell of a deal.

you work there?

WMR
04-14-2008, 04:26 AM
My dad is the owner. My grandpa started the business in 1946.

Jpup
04-14-2008, 04:30 AM
My dad is the owner. My grandpa started the business in 1946.

cool. I'll send you a PM.

Any other suggestions would be great as well. I would like to have a couple options based on my budget.

WMR
04-14-2008, 04:30 AM
Zero turn is where it's at these days. I did sales there all through college. I defied anyone to try out a zero-turn and compare the time that it took and the ease of use to a traditional mower. Granted, JD makes some awesome traditional style lawn mowers and they get the job done as well.

WMR
04-14-2008, 04:32 AM
Generally, people would mow their lot in about half the time on a zero turn than what it took with a traditional riding mower.

With you, though, jpup, with 1.5 acres, you could go either way really.

Do you have much landscaping, trees, bushes etc. etc.? That's really the most convenient aspect of zero turns, trimming around stuff like that is such a snap.

WMR
04-14-2008, 04:32 AM
cool. I'll send you a PM.

Any other suggestions would be great as well. I would like to have a couple options based on my budget.

For sure, would be happy to help.

paintmered
04-14-2008, 04:38 AM
John Deere.

My family owned a John Deere dealership for three generations. There is no other lawn mower like a Deere.

WilyMo speaks the truth. A John Deere that comes from a dealer is not the same John Deere that you find at Lowe's or Home Depot. The difference is, one will last you twenty years while the other will only last you five.

You have to go to a dealer if you want the real thing.

WMR
04-14-2008, 04:40 AM
This is actually really important. A John Deere that comes from a dealer is not the same John Deere that you find at Lowe's or Home Depot. The difference is, one tractor will last you twenty years while the other one will only last you five.

So, so true.

You should hear mechanics at my dad's shop talk about working on "John Deere's" from HD. Of course, another aspect is that HD and Lowe's sell only the entry level JD mowers.

Jpup
04-14-2008, 04:40 AM
My family owned a John Deere dealership for three generations.

WilyMo speaks the truth. A John Deere that comes from a dealer is not the same John Deere that you find at Lowe's or Home Depot. The difference is, one will last you twenty years while the other will only last you five.

yeah, I have heard that. I have also heard that the green and yellow paint is what cost so much.

WMR
04-14-2008, 04:43 AM
My family owned a John Deere dealership for three generations. There is no other lawn mower like a Deere.

Where was your family's dealership, PMR?

WMR
04-14-2008, 04:45 AM
yeah, I have heard that. I have also heard that the green and yellow paint is what cost so much.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A John Deere, properly maintained, will last AT LEAST 10-15 years. We've got some customers who get their yearly "check-up," keep their mower in their garage, and have been using it for 15-20 years!!

A "wal-mart mower"--my general slang for "off-brand mowers"--will last you five years, IF YOU'RE LUCKY. And you'll probably end up paying as much in service costs as what you would have spent if you had bought the John Deere in the first place.

Like pretty much everything else in life, you get what you pay for. ;)

Jpup
04-14-2008, 04:48 AM
I'm just going on what I hear at work. I sure don't know if it's true. My step-dad has a Grasshopper and he loves it.

WMR
04-14-2008, 04:49 AM
Oh well I wouldn't call grasshopper off-brand! They're good mowers!

Jpup
04-14-2008, 04:55 AM
Oh well I wouldn't call grasshopper off-brand! They're good mowers!

Yeah, he wasn't the one saying that. Actually I haven't discussed mowers with him, but he did mow my yard in about an hour last week on his own suggestion.

goreds2
04-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Check www.craigslist.com for riding mowers in your area.

bucksfan
04-14-2008, 01:08 PM
We have ~ 5 acres, a decent amount of trees, very rough terrain in many places with tree roots and various "mystery objects" seeping up from the sub-terrain. We have a John Deere GT245 (54" deck) that I really like. It is very easy to maintain once I figured out the discrepancy in the onwer's manual about changing the transmission fluid. The tractor is dependable and tough, and those are the primary features I was looking for with our property. My property trashed a used Simplicity Sunstar prior to the Deere. I did not go for zero-turn simply because I needed a regular style tractor as well for miscellaneous tasks.

camisadelgolf
04-14-2008, 02:47 PM
http://www.bubbabohacks.com/photos/redneck_lawnmower_3.jpg

http://llnw.content.jibjab.com/content/42c4591dd7a70f7da2232a9ad36a597708e7bd10

http://break.com/index/drunk-redneck-lawnmower-dui.html?matchid=NDAwNTA0

bucksfan2
04-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Never owned a riding mower but one thing I would be cautious about is how long you plan on keeping the mower. I guess its how long you plan on living at your present location or on a similar yard. The last thing you want to do is buy a nice and expensive mower and move a few years later and have it become useless.

BRM
04-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Zero turn is where it's at these days. I did sales there all through college. I defied anyone to try out a zero-turn and compare the time that it took and the ease of use to a traditional mower.

I agree if you have money trees growing in your back yard. I'd love a zero turn but no way I could justify the price tag for one. I bought a brand new, traditional mower from a Deere dealer 2 years ago and it's been a great machine. The saying is true that "Nothing runs like a Deere".

SunDeck
04-14-2008, 03:00 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

A John Deere, properly maintained, will last AT LEAST 10-15 years. We've got some customers who get their yearly "check-up," keep their mower in their garage, and have been using it for 15-20 years!!

A "wal-mart mower"--my general slang for "off-brand mowers"--will last you five years, IF YOU'RE LUCKY. And you'll probably end up paying as much in service costs as what you would have spent if you had bought the John Deere in the first place.

Like pretty much everything else in life, you get what you pay for. ;)

I agree with WMR on the Zero turn radius mower. But at the same time 1.5 acres isn't that vast- you may be spending more than you need. Still, if you're looking for a little yard tractor- Deere is tough to beat.

As for "Wal-mart" mowers, I buy based on the engine more than the brand. I have run some Tecumseh mowers for 10 hours a day, and have had them last a very long time. For riders, I have always had good luck with Kohler engines. Just make sure you don't under horsepower yourself. Like my dad says, "Ten horsepower to turn the blades, and fifteen to haul my fat butt around the yard."

When I was landscaping, Deere didn't have much for the mowing industry, but once they decided to start producing ZTR mowers, they did a great job of it. Several of the industry leaders had all sorts of problems with the mowing decks- they would scald on uneven surfaces, welds would break- I have never heard any complaints about that from friends I know who buy Deere, the only drawback being the price. WMR can probably give you a whole ten minutes on mower decks.

They are more expensive than other brands and I think some landscapers shy away because of that (especially when your workforce beats the heck out of everything you buy). They tend to be a little shorter term about their equipment than farmers are. :)

LoganBuck
04-14-2008, 03:08 PM
I can recommend a few different brands.

#1 Grasshopper, they can make a mower. We have one for our farm approx 4 acres of grass to cut. It rules the roost. It is a serious machine, Dad got it by being lucky, the county leased them through a local dealer. He was there when their new machine came in. He asked a couple questions, and got the old one at a big discount. His is overkill 61" deck and 27HP.

#2 Gravely my uncle has one of their zero turn machines and loves it. He built his home in a wooded lot, and has lots of trees to go around. He really likes it, but he has only had it one year.

#3 Bob-Cat A buddy of mine sells them, and man they are nice. Lots of power and speed.

#4 Dixie Chopper, I have never used one of these but they get some really high marks and the resale value holds up.

Don't get anything with a Briggs and Stratton engine. Lots of problems with those if you mow alot. Kawasaki and Kohler are better products.

BRM
04-14-2008, 03:19 PM

Does this go for us Colorado folk as well? I'd love to have a new 3320. A new Gator would be extra cool too. ;)

Jpup
04-14-2008, 04:30 PM
I agree if you have money trees growing in your back yard. I'd love a zero turn but no way I could justify the price tag for one. I bought a brand new, traditional mower from a Deere dealer 2 years ago and it's been a great machine. The saying is true that "Nothing runs like a Deere".

I'm thinking that I need to go that way as well. I feel the same way about the Zero Turns.

BRM
04-14-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm thinking that I need to go that way as well. I feel the same way about the Zero Turns.

They strike me as more of a commercial machine personally. Businesses can write them off to help offset the price tag. They don't make as much sense for Joe Blow and his 3 or 4 acres unless Joe just really, really wants one and has plenty of disposable income. Just my useless opinion.

I can tell you that you won't be disappointed with a Deere though. They do cost a bit more than most of their competitors but not enough to scare you away.

dabvu2498
04-14-2008, 04:45 PM
I got a 2 year old Cub Cadet zero turn last summer for about the same price a new lawn tractor was going to cost me. I got lucky as it turns out. When faced with the same decision again, I'll go for the zero turn, even at the increased expense.

BTW, I have about 2.8 acres that I mow with it.

WMR
04-14-2008, 05:02 PM
They strike me as more of a commercial machine personally. Businesses can write them off to help offset the price tag. They don't make as much sense for Joe Blow and his 3 or 4 acres unless Joe just really, really wants one and has plenty of disposable income. Just my useless opinion.

I can tell you that you won't be disappointed with a Deere though. They do cost a bit more than most of their competitors but not enough to scare you away.

You'd be surprised! John Deere Credit has made them affordable for most folks if that is what they truly want. Personally, if I was mowing 2.5-3 acres or more, I wouldn't mow with anything else.

WMR
04-14-2008, 05:05 PM
I got a 2 year old Cub Cadet zero turn last summer for about the same price a new lawn tractor was going to cost me. I got lucky as it turns out. When faced with the same decision again, I'll go for the zero turn, even at the increased expense.

BTW, I have about 2.8 acres that I mow with it.

Come and compare the deck density between a Cub and a JD zero turn. Take a ride on one next time you're in the market. ;)

WMR
04-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Does this go for us Colorado folk as well? I'd love to have a new 3320. A new Gator would be extra cool too. ;)

Of course it does! Even if you're short on cash, if you've got decent credit I guarantee your trailer will leave with a full load!! :D

BRM
04-14-2008, 05:08 PM
The low end zero turns are in the $3000 range. You can buy a regular old 48 inch cut rider for $2000 or less. That's a big enough difference for me to say no to zero turns.

BRM
04-14-2008, 05:08 PM
Of course it does! Even if you're short on cash, if you've got decent credit I guarantee your trailer will leave with a full load!! :D

I have excellent credit. Does that mean I get a good interest rate but have to pay top dollar for the tractor?

WMR
04-14-2008, 05:13 PM
I agree with WMR on the Zero turn radius mower. But at the same time 1.5 acres isn't that vast- you may be spending more than you need. Still, if you're looking for a little yard tractor- Deere is tough to beat.

As for "Wal-mart" mowers, I buy based on the engine more than the brand. I have run some Tecumseh mowers for 10 hours a day, and have had them last a very long time. For riders, I have always had good luck with Kohler engines. Just make sure you don't under horsepower yourself. Like my dad says, "Ten horsepower to turn the blades, and fifteen to haul my fat butt around the yard."

When I was landscaping, Deere didn't have much for the mowing industry, but once they decided to start producing ZTR mowers, they did a great job of it. Several of the industry leaders had all sorts of problems with the mowing decks- they would scald on uneven surfaces, welds would break- I have never heard any complaints about that from friends I know who buy Deere, the only drawback being the price. WMR can probably give you a whole ten minutes on mower decks.

They are more expensive than other brands and I think some landscapers shy away because of that (especially when your workforce beats the heck out of everything you buy). They tend to be a little shorter term about their equipment than farmers are. :)

You make a good point on those who do commercial landscaping/mowing for a living. It's the rare employee--especially in mowing--who will treat your equipment like he would treat it if it was his own. You can pretty much guarantee that they will run over rocks, bottles, tree stumps, and anything else in their path. :lol: It rarely makes the best sense to buy the Cadillac of mowers in such situations. Lots of horse farms, however, go Deere for everything.

That's one of the biggest selling points I used for JD lawn mowers, SD, the mower deck density. I forget the exact number, but I believe it is between 30-40% more steel that JD uses in the construction of their mower decks than the leading competitors. It makes a HUGE difference both in longevity as well as in performance in the field.

You're right that JD was a bit late to the zero turn game. My dad used to do HUGE Toro business. JD, however, has more than closed the gap, and he does more JD zero turn business these days than ever.

WMR
04-14-2008, 05:15 PM
I have excellent credit. Does that mean I get a good interest rate but have to pay top dollar for the tractor?

:lol:

It means you get a great interest rate AND a great price on the tractor that you want! :D

BRM
04-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Lots of horse farms, however, go Deere for everything.

No doubt. I see lots of Deere tractors and mowers, even out here.

SunDeck
04-14-2008, 05:18 PM
You'd be surprised! John Deere Credit has made them affordable for most folks if that is what they truly want. Personally, if I was mowing 2.5-3 acres or more, I wouldn't mow with anything else.

"And this model right here? This is the one my wife likes. You look like a man who's wife would like a Deere, my friend."

- WilyMo, regional salesman of the year.

BRM
04-14-2008, 05:18 PM

It means you get a great interest rate AND a great price on the tractor that you want! :D

I'll have to keep that in mind then. Do I just ask for the J.J. Redick fan when I come in?

BRM
04-14-2008, 05:19 PM
"And this model right here? This is the one my wife likes. You look like a man who's wife would like a Deere, my friend."

The best in the business at selling people more than what they need. :D

WMR
04-14-2008, 05:19 PM
I'll have to keep that in mind then. Do I just ask for the J.J. Redick fan when I come in?

Just ask for the Hoosier fan special. They'll make sure you're "taken care of."

BRM
04-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Just ask for the Hoosier fan special. They'll make sure you're "taken care of."

I bet. I'd probably be taking home the 1940 rust bucket out back for the low, low price of $12,500. :rolleyes:

dabvu2498
Come and compare the deck density between a Cub and a JD zero turn. Take a ride on one next time you're in the market. ;)

I paid 1300 bucks for it. I'm good with that.

WMR

BRM
04-14-2008, 05:21 PM
I paid 1300 bucks for it. I'm good with that.

Wow. You can't buy a shovel at a Deere dealer for that kind of money.

WMR
04-14-2008, 05:22 PM
I bet. I'd probably be taking home the 1940 rust bucket out back for the low, low price of $12,500. :rolleyes:

That's a classic! 15 even.

WMR
04-14-2008, 05:24 PM

You couldn't. Dab couldn't. Everybody else? Sure they could.

BRM
04-14-2008, 05:24 PM
That's a classic! 15 even.

"Son, they just don't make 'em like this anymore."

dabvu2498
04-14-2008, 05:25 PM

Estate auctions are the bomb, yo.

BRM
04-14-2008, 05:25 PM
You couldn't. Dab couldn't. Everybody else? Sure they could.

Fine. I'll go to the Case IH dealer then. They'll give me a shovel if I turn in my Deere hat.

BRM
04-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Estate auctions are the bomb, yo.

Ah, you bought a used one. That makes sense.

WMR
04-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Fine. I'll go to the Case IH dealer then. They'll give me a shovel if I turn in my Deere hat.

Advice: Use the shovel to bury whatever POS you get stuck with at the Case dealership. ;) :D

dabvu2498
04-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Ah, you bought a used one. That makes sense.

Yeah. 2 years old, but had only been used for one season.

BRM
04-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Advice: Use the shovel to bury whatever POS you get stuck with at the Case dealership. ;) :D

Honestly, I haven't seen anyone with a newer Case around here. I see quite a few older International's (I even own one) but no new ones. John Deere rules the roost when it comes to newer tractors and mowers in these parts.

WMR
04-14-2008, 05:32 PM
When my grandfather started Bevins Motor Co. in 1946, he initially sold International Harvester refrigerators. My grandfather just turned 89 this past week. He has told me stories of driving around Scott County with refrigerators strapped to the back of a flatbed truck and selling folks their first refrigerator!

They told him if he did well enough selling the refrigerators, he could sell IH tractors. Soon enough, he was an IH dealer. It's amazing how many of those old IH's are still beating around.

BRM
04-14-2008, 05:34 PM
It's amazing how many of those old IH's are still beating around.

It really is. They were solid tractors, built to last. Mine is a 1952 and it's still a workhorse. Great tractor.

I'd still love to have a new Deere though. ;)

SunDeck
04-14-2008, 05:45 PM
When my grandfather started Bevins Motor Co. in 1946, he initially sold International Harvester refrigerators. My grandfather just turned 89 this past week. He has told me stories of driving around Scott County with refrigerators strapped to the back of a flatbed truck and selling folks their first refrigerator!

They told him if he did well enough selling the refrigerators, he could sell IH tractors. Soon enough, he was an IH dealer. It's amazing how many of those old IH's are still beating around.

Door to door refrigerator salesman- it just doesn't get any better than that.

WMR
04-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Door to door refrigerator salesman- it just doesn't get any better than that.

For a country kid who moved to Georgetown from Pike County without a penny in his pocket he did pretty well for himself. This past year he gave a million dollars to Pikeville College, a million dollars to Georgetown College, and $100,000 to the University of Kentucky.

Jpup
04-14-2008, 06:05 PM
For a country kid who moved to Georgetown from Pike County without a penny in his pocket he did pretty well for himself. This past year he gave a million dollars to Pikeville College, a million dollars to Georgetown College, and $100,000 to the University of Kentucky.

could he give me a mower?:p:

BRM
04-14-2008, 06:07 PM
and $100,000 to the University of Kentucky.

I was really starting to like him up until that point. :p:

WMR
04-14-2008, 06:07 PM

BRM
04-14-2008, 06:08 PM

I'm sure he has an old broken down push mower in the garage he'd be happy to give you.

WMR
04-14-2008, 06:09 PM
I was really starting to like him up until that point. :p:

He's the most frugal man I've ever met. He grew up in a log cabin, dirt poor, in eastern Kentucky. His mother taught school to put him through Pikeville College. He moved to Georgetown, got his professional degree from UK, and went into business for himself. He truly personifies the "depression era living" that you hear about but just don't really see anymore.

WMR
04-14-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm sure he has an old broken down push mower in the garage he'd be happy to give you.

If he did, he'd have a price on it, I guarantee you. :D

BRM
04-14-2008, 06:10 PM
He's the most frugal man I've ever met. He grew up in a log cabin, dirt poor, in eastern Kentucky. His mother taught school to put him through Pikeville College. He moved to Georgetown, got his professional degree from UK, and went into business for himself. He truly personifies the "depression era living" that you hear about but just don't really see anymore.

A self-made man. He deserves much respect, no doubt about it. Even if he is a UK supporter. ;)

dabvu2498
04-14-2008, 06:11 PM

And now his grandson's going to be a lawyer.

What hath this world wrought?

BRM
04-14-2008, 06:12 PM
And now his grandson's going to be a lawyer.

What hath this world wrought?

Good point. From self-made man worthy of respect comes a grandson who is soon to become a crook. So sad.

WMR
04-14-2008, 06:13 PM
LOL

BRM
04-14-2008, 06:18 PM
The two guys I enjoy chatting with the most on this board are both lawyers. I feel so, so dirty. :(

WMR
04-14-2008, 06:23 PM
I believe that makes you a scumbag by association. :(

BRM
04-14-2008, 06:26 PM
I believe that makes you a scumbag by association. :(

Good grief. What have I gotten myself into? :eek:

Jpup
04-25-2008, 02:48 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, especially Wily MO. I ordered a mower today. I got a Gravely. I hope it does the trick. It is supposed to be in about Wednesday of next week. Now, just to learn how to stripe my yard like they do at the ball park.

WMR
04-25-2008, 03:03 AM
Congrats, Jpup, I hope it works great for you.

We service EVERYTHING, in case you ever need any parts or service, sharpened mower blades etc. etc. etc.

Jpup
04-25-2008, 03:06 AM
Congrats, Jpup, I hope it works great for you.

We service EVERYTHING, in case you ever need any parts or service, sharpened mower blades etc. etc. etc.

in G-Town? That's a long way from here. I'll probably stick to the local guys, but they are kind of obnoxious. I had to talk them into ordering me the mower I wanted, but I did get a good price, I think. He wanted to sell me a Briggs engine, but I just couldn't do that. I got one with a Kohler.

Thanks again.:thumbup::thumbup:

WMR
04-25-2008, 03:08 AM
Good idea on the Kohler. Briggs isn't in the same galaxy quality-wise as a Kohler engine.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-25-2008, 03:28 AM
My dad just came home today with a Troy-Bilt riding mower. My mom is furious. I love it though, makes my job a lot easier... and fun.

Jpup
04-25-2008, 03:41 AM
Good idea on the Kohler. Briggs isn't in the same galaxy quality-wise as a Kohler engine.

that is what everyone has told me, except the owner. I guess he thought I was naive and had not done any research. He was wrong, but he got my money anyway.

Jpup
04-25-2008, 03:41 AM
My dad just came home today with a Troy-Bilt riding mower. My mom is furious. I love it though, makes my job a lot easier... and fun.

congrats, I hope it works for you guys.

BRM
04-25-2008, 09:54 AM

I'm still waiting for my Gator. ;)

LoganBuck
04-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Did you get the Zero turn?

Jpup
04-26-2008, 06:19 AM
Did you get the Zero turn?

yep.

LoganBuck
04-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Sounds like you got a good machine.

Jpup
04-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Sounds like you got a good machine.

yeah, I hope so. I had to order it and it should be here about Tuesday. I have never been so excited to mow my yard. :D

BRM
05-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Not a riding mower issue but this thread is as good as any. I'm thinking of buying a new Kubota L-Series tractor. The L3400 is the model I'm looking at. They are offering 0% for 42 months which is really the only reason it's on my radar right now. I still don't know that I want to get tied down to 3 or 4 years of payments on a tractor though. But I am getting awfully tired of "tinkering" with my old '52 Farmall.

WMR
05-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Kubota's are nice tractors. Expensive parts and service is probably the biggest drawback.

BRM
05-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Shoot, they all have expensive parts from my experience. Deere was running a 0% deal awhile back but I think it ended. I like the 3203 and 3320 models. I'm starting to drool now thinking about owning a new Deere...

BRM
05-20-2008, 10:48 AM
I was wrong. Deere is offering 0% for 36 months on the 3000 Series tractors. Sweet!

goreds2
05-21-2008, 12:54 AM
This person may be able to offer an opinion.

http://www.buffettnews.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=114&pos=25

BRM
05-21-2008, 10:09 AM
I worked some numbers last night and it looks like I'll be sticking with my old Farmall for awhile. Tractors are just too fricken' expensive. No way can I justify paying $500 a month for a new one.

LoganBuck
05-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Hey Jpup how is the new machine treating you?

GAC
05-21-2008, 09:31 PM
I have just over an acre to mow. I didn't know much about the different mowers at the time (I just knew I needed one), and we bought a 15.5 hp Craftsman that I've been able to hold together for 10 years.

Not a very durable mower. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The same with MTD, Yard machine, etc. I think one company makes them all. They are definitely a po' man's mower.

From what I've heard - Cub Cadet is not the same mower it once was. I had heard they too got bought out and have gone the route of the "cheap" mowers, and that they are being made by someone else and CC just puts their label on them. True? Anyway, I've been told to stay away from them.

This is the last summer for the ol' Craftsman.

I'm leaning towards a zero turn, but haven't decided which model yet. My neighbor has a "traditional" JD, and you really can't beat it. Compared to the Craftsman it's night and day. JD does make a zero turn also which I am checking out.

I'm also looking at Dixon.

For those of us in the older generation - Work Horse use to make one heck of a mower. They got bought out by Toro. My neighbor bought a 52" cut Toro a couple years ago, and it's one fine mower.

So by next summer I've got some decisions to make. Which one?

I'm looking in the price range of around 3 grand.

Spring~Fields
05-21-2008, 10:15 PM
I have just over an acre to mow. I didn't know much about the different mowers at the time (I just knew I needed one), and we bought a 15.5 hp Craftsman that I've been able to hold together for 10 years.

Not a very durable mower. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The same with MTD, Yard machine, etc. I think one company makes them all. They are definitely a po' man's mower.

From what I've heard - Cub Cadet is not the same mower it once was. I had heard they too got bought out and have gone the route of the "cheap" mowers, and that they are being made by someone else and CC just puts their label on them. True? Anyway, I've been told to stay away from them.

Cub Cadet salesman at the country store on 68 told me that MTD makes the Cubs, Yard Machine, and the John Deer mowers now. I got 15 years out of one of their mowers and I was rough on this one, mowing banks/small hills of course the frame broke recently and the wheel fell off provoking a scary moment. 15 years/900.00=60.00 a year, though was cheap.

Time for a new one Jpup has me drooling in envy.

paintmered
05-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Cub Cadet salesman at the country store on 68 told me that MTD makes the Cubs, Yard Machine, and the John Deer mowers now. I got 15 years out of one of their mowers and I was rough on this one, mowing banks/small hills of course the frame broke recently and the wheel fell off provoking a scary moment. 15 years/900.00=60.00 a year, though was cheap.

Time for a new one Jpup has me drooling in envy.

Is that the Home Depot John Deere's or the dealership John Deere's? They aren't the same mowers despite the same paint jobs.

LoganBuck
05-21-2008, 10:46 PM

This is the last summer for the ol' Craftsman.

I'm leaning towards a zero turn, but haven't decided which model yet. My neighbor has a "traditional" JD, and you really can't beat it. Compared to the Craftsman it's night and day. JD does make a zero turn also which I am checking out.

I'm also looking at Dixon.

For those of us in the older generation - Work Horse use to make one heck of a mower. They got bought out by Toro. My neighbor bought a 52" cut Toro a couple years ago, and it's one fine mower.

So by next summer I've got some decisions to make. Which one?

I'm looking in the price range of around 3 grand.

GAC, If you are looking at Dixon, give Jackson Center Pro Hardware a look. The owner, is a good guy, and has been selling Dixons for years. He normally has a nice selection on hand.

Spring~Fields
05-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Is that the Home Depot John Deere's or the dealership John Deere's? They aren't the same mowers despite the same paint jobs.

It wasn't a normal John Deer dealership. I can't recall the name of the place, it's some Country something store, not Lowes or Home Depot. That is what I was told that they have the same paint job but they are not made by Deere.

GAC will know, he remembers everything.

TSC Tractor Supply is the one that told me, he said "that he had just purchased a cub zero turn because he had the land, trees, etc on the farm to justify it, then he said cub and deere at the stores are made by MTD".

BRM
05-22-2008, 10:43 AM

I've heard and read the same thing.

GAC
05-22-2008, 09:05 PM

Really? I'd think a company as reputable as JD would be worried about it's rep within the industry to allow a cheaper made mower to be on the market with their name on it.

LoganBuck
05-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Really? I'd think a company as reputable as JD would be worried about it's rep within the industry to allow a cheaper made mower to be on the market with their name on it.

Yep, John Deere has a bargain basement crappy generic mower like everyone else. It is a joke because people pay extra for the Green paint, when models that went down the same assembly lines, are right next to them.