PDA

View Full Version : Stop the platoon in CF and play Patterson every day?

REDREAD
04-14-2008, 10:44 AM
After Hopper's poor defensive play in OF yesterday, I am ready to play Patterson every day in CF, even against LH pitchers.

I know Patterson will struggle at the plate vs LHs, but I think we need his defense out there every day.

Hopper is just not a good defender in the OF, even with his speed. He brings very little to the plate as well.
Freel sometimes brings a contribution offensively and defensively, but makes a lot of bonehead plays.

I'm willing to send out Patterson everyday against LH (although hopefully not in leadoff) just because I don't feel the alternatives are that great.

Likewise, it makes no sense to me to bench Votto to start Juan Castro. Let's end that.

I think Dusty needs to realize he has no good RH bats off the bench and go ahead and start the LH hitters..

*BaseClogger*
04-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Like I said before the season:

What is Norris Hopper good at?

Benihana
04-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Imagine posting this a month ago- ha!

I'm all for it. Give Hopper the occasional start against a lefty (maybe every other lefty), but CP has earned his starting job, just like Phillips and Hamilton before him.

Freel needs to go, there's no question about that.

flyer85
04-14-2008, 11:10 AM

What is Norris Hopper good at?he was good at bunting for base hits until teams figured out he could do little else. He is not a bad 25th guy but having him and Freel on the same bench is absurd.

TOBTTReds
04-14-2008, 11:10 AM

Bunting, that's it. Great bunter. Awful OF'er.

cumberlandreds
04-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Why not stop the platoon and bring up Jay Bruce? He's an upgrade to any of the three the Reds have now. The object is to have the best players playing for the big league club. He and few others IMO are better than some of the rabble they have up here now.

RedsManRick
04-14-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm playing Freel vL. Build up some trade value if nothing else and he's a better CF than Hopper.

Benihana
04-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Why not stop the platoon and bring up Jay Bruce? He's an upgrade to any of the three the Reds have now. The object is to have the best players playing for the big league club. He and few others IMO are better than some of the rabble they have up here now.

Because Corey Patterson has done an outstanding job so far. And Bruce needs to work on his plate discipline in AAA for the next couple months.

flyer85
04-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Because Corey Patterson has done an outstanding job so far. ayet he is still the same Patterson he has always been. Good glove, some pop, poor OBP. I don't mind him playing CF but he has no business hitting leadoff.

Benihana
04-14-2008, 12:30 PM
ayet he is still the same Patterson he has always been. Good glove, some pop, poor OBP. I don't mind him playing CF but he has no business hitting leadoff.

enough already?

Highlifeman21
04-14-2008, 01:13 PM

Bunting, and hitting for a high AVG, supposedly.

He is fast, there's no argument there, but last time I checked, drawing a walk is the only closest way to steal 1B.

KronoRed
04-14-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm playing Freel vL. Build up some trade value if nothing else and he's a better CF than Hopper.

Agreed, if not then Patterson should be 8th vs left handers.

If the Reds fall too far back I wonder if a Patterson career year would bring some value at the trade deadline.

Blitz Dorsey
04-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Amazing how much opinions can change in a couple of weeks. People were cursing the day he was signed. Now people want him playing every day as the starting CF no questions asked.

And I completely agree. (Although, for the record, I was on board with the CPatt signing from day one. And I have the posts to back it up! Haha.)

HumnHilghtFreel
04-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Amazing how much opinions can change in a couple of weeks. People were cursing the day he was signed. Now people want him playing every day as the starting CF no questions asked.

I wasn't a big fan of the move, but seeing him play has definitely changed my mind a bit. I wish he'd level out his swing occasionally instead of uppercutting for the fences, but his defense thus far has been tremendous, something I wasn't sure about. He's definitely more of an asset than Hopper, who should probably be at the very end of the bench as a PR or designated bunter at this point.

I can live with getting Freel more PT if it means hoping for a hot streak and moving him out(although he may be needed if Edwin doesn't pick it up). That at least gets rid of some of the bench redundancy.

redsrule2500
04-14-2008, 08:20 PM

Bunting.

*BaseClogger*
04-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Well there we have it: a player whose only skill not below replacement level is his bunting. Great...

boognish
04-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Patterson is markedly worse over the course of his career against LHP, but consider with all appropriate small sample size caveats:

2007 vLHP (157 PA) .310/.344/.451 vRHP (346 PA) .251/.286/.357

Couple that with Freel's lack of a platoon split over the course of his career (.277/.361/.377 vRHP, .250/.348/.373 vLHP), and I don't see a real tactical advantage with playing Freel over Patterson owing to Patterson's superior defensive ability compared to the other Reds outfielders. While we are talking trade value, Patterson is the option most likely to enhance his and he might be attractive as a speed + defense option to a contender should the Reds collapse completely by July. IMO Freel is about done and other GMs see the writing on the wall.

Dunn should not sit; he brings power even against LHP, which is more than can be said for any of his potential replacements. I have seen more than enough of Hopper and in my opinion he should be jettisoned even if replaced by another AAAA talent.

REDREAD
04-15-2008, 12:08 AM
I agree Boognish.

The Reds are stuck with some guys with little or no trade value.. Freel, Hat, Castro, Maj, etc. Personally, I think they've sunk so low that playing time isn't going to help them a whole lot.

The biggest problem I have with giving Freel too many spot starts is that he instantly degrades the defense whereever he plays (now that Patterson is here). It used to be easier to stomach him in CF when he was arguably the best option, but now he's clearly not. Well, that and Freel's general boneheaded mistakes get very frustrating.

But even if an injury allowed Freel to play everyday for 6 straight weeks and he hit fairly well, I doubt anyone is chomping at the bit to absorb his 7 million dollar - 2 year contract
A few hot weeks isn't going to change anyone's mind. They know Freel as well as we do.