PDA

View Full Version : Reds are looking at Piazza?

BRM
04-15-2008, 12:33 PM
MLBTradeRumors:

Mark Healey has heard rumblings that the Reds and Yankees are looking at Mike Piazza.

Gotham Baseball (http://gothambaseballmagazine.com/yankees/piazza-coming-to-the-bronx.html):

Dusty Baker is telling friends that he's "confident" that Piazza will sign with the Reds because "Tommy (Lasorda) will want him to play for me". Though most of the people that are monitoring the Cincy backstop search say the Reds want a "throw and catch" guy, Baker is saying that he thinks "Piazza could hit 25 homers in the GAB."

flyer85
04-15-2008, 12:39 PM
If they sign him I hope they take enough time at AAA to see if the power is still there(it dried up last year). BTW, I would see him as 1B against LHP and a bat off the bench.

KoryMac5
04-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Piazza still can hit, I'm not sure about the fielding as he can't throw anyone out. He can play first in a pinch but again he is not very good over there. This move sounds of desperation to me but afterall these are desperate times.

BCubb2003
04-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Yes, GAB is a small ballpark but the distance from home to second is the same as any other.

OnBaseMachine
04-15-2008, 12:47 PM
I'd sign him as a bat off the bench with an occasional start at first base against a lefty. His defense is awful but this team needs some power off the bench.

redsfan30
04-15-2008, 12:49 PM
As badly as this team needs right handed power, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in.

REDREAD
04-15-2008, 12:51 PM
He'd be a good option at 1b.. kind of scary at C.

One the other hand though, if Ross looks to be out of action for some time, would Piazza be that much worse than Valentin, who can barely catch as well? Just playing a little devil's advocate here.

My wife would like this signing, she's had a crush on Piazza for years.

KoryMac5
04-15-2008, 12:58 PM
He'd be a good option at 1b.. kind of scary at C.

One the other hand though, if Ross looks to be out of action for some time, would Piazza be that much worse than Valentin, who can barely catch as well? Just playing a little devil's advocate here.

My wife would like this signing, she's had a crush on Piazza for years.

I think that is a good point, Piazza would put more fans in the seats.

George Anderson
04-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Piazza is also someone who will provide veteran leadership and plenty of postseason experience which this team isn't to abundant of.

redsfaninbsg
04-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Sign him up. Let him come off the bench ph, and occasionally play some 1b.

Falls City Beer
04-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Don't see a place for him on an NL roster already sporting 12 pitchers.

RedsManRick
04-15-2008, 01:02 PM
He can't play the field anymore -- anywhere. His only role is as a RH PH. If he's on the team, he replaces Javy.

REDREAD
04-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Don't see a place for him on an NL roster already sporting 12 pitchers.

Sure, it would just involve getting rid of one of the following:
Hat
Castro
Freel
Hopper

None of those four guys is critical, given the makeup of the team.

If you get rid of Hat, you don't lose any defensive flexiblity from the bench.
If you'd rather keep Hat's LH bat off the bench, just get rid of one of the other guys.

If they are willing to make Phillips the emergency SS, they could easily give Castro the boot.

They could also option Hopper down for a few weeks to get time to figure out which bullpenner they want to push out to make room.

Blitz Dorsey
04-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Piazza is really bad defensively, but he's not that much worse than Valentin.

But Piazza is a much better hitter than Valentin. I say bring him aboard. Backup catcher, backup RH first baseman, RH pinch hitter with pop. He fills a lot of roles and I agree he could hit a lot of HRs in GASmallPark. Health would be an issue though. He's old and he couldn't even stay healthy as a DH last year in Oakland. They were batting him cleanup at the beginning of last season and he was actually doing really well. But his body couldn't hold up. And no doubt Piazza was a steroid user IMO, so that is another thing to keep in mind. (If he comes here, I hope he still has a good HGH hookup... ha.)

PuffyPig
04-15-2008, 01:27 PM
I assume he would be the RH platoon at 1st, and PH.

He would only be an emergency catcher, and would replace Hopper/Freel or perhaps Hatteberg. Hattebeg would make more sense.

I doubt he would be a backup catcher.

I think when Ross comes back, Valentin is gone.

And when Gonzalez comes back, Castro is gone.

Freel/Hooper/Hatteberg (2 of)
Piazza
Keppinger
Bako

Our lineup vs. LH pitching could be:

Hooper
Keppinger
Giffey
Phillips
Dunn
Piazza
EE
Ross

or:

Keppinger
Phillips
Griffey
Piazza
Dunn
EE
Hopper
Ross

It assumes that Piazza can hit LH pitching like he has in the past. That is by no means certain.

membengal
04-15-2008, 01:31 PM
It's not nearly the worst idea I have ever heard.

BRM
04-15-2008, 01:34 PM
I wouldn't rule him out as a catcher. The Gotham article mentions the Reds (and Yanks) liking his game-calling ability and they think he'd be a good influence on the younger pitchers. I think he's be looked at as a backup at C and 1B.

Team Clark
04-15-2008, 01:39 PM
I doubt he would be a backup catcher.

I think when Ross comes back, Valentin is gone.

I am NOT saying I disagree. I am just curious as to how Valentin would be gone? IMO, I don't see how Wayne or Dusty let's Valentin go.

For future reference I will refer to Wayne and Dusty as a combo. Dwayne. :D

BRM
04-15-2008, 01:40 PM
I am NOT saying I disagree. I am just curious as to how Valentin would be gone? IMO, I don't see how Wayne or Dusty let's Valentin go.

Why not? They can't be happy with his defense.

Team Clark
04-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Why not? They can't be happy with his defense.

Ohh I agree with that. I am playing more the role of devil's advocate here. I remember Dusty on several occasions effusing man love for Valentin's top notch pinch hitting skills. I can't see Wayne eating Valentin's contract so close to eating Stanton's.

pedro
04-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Ohh I agree with that. I am playing more the role of devil's advocate here. I remember Dusty on several occasions effusing man love for Valentin's top notch pinch hitting skills. I can't see Wayne eating Valentin's contract so close to eating Stanton's.

I can. They're going to have a roster crunch soon and I don't see them cutting Bako.

Hatteberg's presence makes Valentin redundant.

I do think they can trade Javy though. They may not have to cut him.

camisadelgolf
04-15-2008, 01:49 PM
I would like this signing if it meant trading Scott Hatteberg and/or getting rid of (by any means necessary) Juan Castro and/or Javier Valentin.

Heath
04-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Crazy thought here.

4 catchers. Todd Coffey to Louisville.

Raisor
04-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Crazy thought here.

4 catchers. Todd Coffey to Louisville.

plus ex-catcher Hatteberg.

All catchers all the time.

princeton
04-15-2008, 01:59 PM
plus ex-catcher Hatteberg.

All catchers all the time.

Votto's an ex-catcher

Raisor
04-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Votto's an ex-catcher

I didn't know that, even better!

vaticanplum
04-15-2008, 02:04 PM
We all think of Piazza as a great hitter but I'd be curious to know how well he's actually been hitting the last couple of years.

(That's code for I'd like a rundown of his stats but don't have the time or inclination to do it myself and thought I'd throw it out there as an excuse for anyone who does.)

KronoRed
04-15-2008, 02:08 PM
We don't have the DH, pass.

Screwball
04-15-2008, 02:08 PM
We all think of Piazza as a great hitter but I'd be curious to know how well he's actually been hitting the last couple of years.

(That's code for I'd like a rundown of his stats but don't have the time or inclination to do it myself and thought I'd throw it out there as an excuse for anyone who does.)

.275/.313/.414/.727, 96 OPS+ with 8 HR in 309ABs with Oakland last year.

However, he was a lot better the year before last in San Diego against NL pitching: .843 OPS, 122 OPS+, 22 HR in 399 ABs.

RedsManRick
04-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Year AG Tm Lg G AB AVG OBP SLG OPS+
2004 35 NYM NL 129 455 .266 .362 .444 108
2005 36 NYM NL 113 398 .251 .326 .452 104
2006 37 SDP NL 126 399 .283 .342 .501 122
2007 38 OAK AL 83 309 .275 .313 .414 96

Highlifeman21
04-15-2008, 02:23 PM
He can't play the field anymore -- anywhere. His only role is as a RH PH. If he's on the team, he replaces Javy.

Besides the potential price tag, where's the downside?

RedsManRick
04-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Besides the potential price tag, where's the downside?

The downside is that he replaces somebody other than Javy, specifically Votto. If he replaces Hatteberg (not likely), Bako (possible, but not likely), Freel (possible, but not likely), or Hopper (possible), I'm fine. Just shuffling the deck in my opinion. He's a 38 year old catcher with no defensive value and a quickly slowing bat. I just don't see him having any impact, and I think any time he's in the field, his horrific defense will offset any offensive value he brings to the table.

RedlegJake
04-15-2008, 02:33 PM
I think he still has plenty of bat left and would be valuable as a 1B platoon with Votto and emergency catcher/PH. Problem is, I'm afraid that it would be Votto down and a Hatte/Piazza platoon at first. THAT I'm against.

Big Klu
04-15-2008, 02:35 PM
I suggested this a while back.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65707&page=6

REDREAD
04-15-2008, 02:52 PM

Small sample size, but I went to a game at Oakland last year and he still looked good at the plate to me. Obviously, no longer a superstar, but good.
Now, I did see him earlier in the year, he may have worn down as the year progressed.

Wheelhouse
04-15-2008, 03:07 PM
The downside is that he replaces somebody other than Javy, specifically Votto. If he replaces Hatteberg (not likely), Bako (possible, but not likely), Freel (possible, but not likely), or Hopper (possible), I'm fine. Just shuffling the deck in my opinion. He's a 38 year old catcher with no defensive value and a quickly slowing bat. I just don't see him having any impact, and I think any time he's in the field, his horrific defense will offset any offensive value he brings to the table.

Let's get specific: he has a below average arm, is a slightly below average fielder (see his FP vs. lgFP over his career), and he calls an above average game. The overall impression I get is that he's below average defensively, but not the complete disaster you claim. If he can still hit he'd be a great pickup for the Reds given the RH mess they're in. I can see the Reds trading Bako to the Yanks, who only need a stopgap catcher. The Reds are looking for a more permanent fix.

Jpup
04-15-2008, 03:12 PM
I'd rather the Reds not sign Mike Piazza. He's done.

bucksfan2
04-15-2008, 03:16 PM
I don't get this. I think this is a horriable decision. He is a FA who no AL team has even taken a shot at. This would be a perfect guy for a Royals or Rays to play at DH or back up catcher and hope to flip before the trade deadline. I don't understand why no one has taken a flyer on him yet and the reds want to bring him in.

vaticanplum
04-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Ok, after looking at the stats (thanks guys), my verdict is that he's a worthwhile asset somewhere but I'd rather this team find hitting at a better price. If Piazza could pitch I'd feel differently.

The end.

Wheelhouse
04-15-2008, 03:21 PM
I don't get this. I think this is a horriable decision. He is a FA who no AL team has even taken a shot at. This would be a perfect guy for a Royals or Rays to play at DH or back up catcher and hope to flip before the trade deadline. I don't understand why no one has taken a flyer on him yet and the reds want to bring him in.

They haven't taken a shot because of the money he was asking for ($10MM yr. for 2 years). That position may have softened.

Falls City Beer
04-15-2008, 03:28 PM
We don't have the DH, pass.

Square peg in a round hole. If Mike Piazza takes the field for the Reds, be prepared for Ringling Bros.

REDREAD
04-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Square peg in a round hole. If Mike Piazza takes the field for the Reds, be prepared for Ringling Bros.

I agree that Piazza is not ideal.

However, I look at the alternatives when the Reds play LH pitching.
The current plan involves starting Juan Castro at SS so Keppinger can play 1b. Castro is a mess at SS and is a black hole on offense as well.

This team desperately needs a RH hitter. Piazza is not ideal, but he's basically free (only costs money from Cast).

Now the prefered option for me is for Wayne to package up some of the tweeners that are iffy before their shelf life expires. I'm going to give a list, but I will say that some of these guys will make it and some will disappoint. Just because they are on this list doesn't mean they are destined to stink.

But I'd like to see Wayne shop some of:
Burton, EdE, Homer, Malony, Bray.

Those are guys with some value that are still potentially tantalizing to some teams. Maybe EdE isn't as marketable now.. but the thinking is to trade some of those prospects that the Reds' braintrust feels will be average at best.
Trade them for a RH hitter (or bullpen arm) that fills a need.

Sure, I'd much rather trade dreck like Freel, but we need to be realistic (and I know you are).. No one is going to give us something good for dreck.

marcshoe
04-15-2008, 04:00 PM
For a one-year contract, okay. The Reds have a radically obvious problem with lefthanded pitchers. While Piazza's only value is as a rh hitter, this value matches perfectly with the Reds most desparate need.

Piazza won't solve all the problems, but he would help.

Drop Javy and sign him. And while you're at it, hope Ross comes back soon enough that you don't regularly see Piazza behind the plate. 'course the same goes for Javy.

LoganBuck
04-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Piazza had .748 OPS versus lefties last year, and a 1.072 OPS versus lefties in 06. He had about the same number of PA. The only real difference is his power fell off.

I Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO HBP SH SF ROE GDP SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS BAbip sOPS+ tOPS+ Split
+-+------------+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+--+--+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+------------+
vs RHP as RH 80 233 220 59 10 1 7 31 11 0 41 0 0 2 2 6 0 0 .268 .300 .418 .719 .299 96 97 vs RHP as RH
vs LHP as RH 40 96 89 26 7 0 1 13 7 0 20 0 0 0 2 3 0 0 .292 .344 .404 .748 .368 88 108 vs LHP as RH

The question becomes, was it bad luck, Oakland's ballpark, or Piazza fading to black?

I think I answered my own question the home/away split for Piazza was substantial.

I Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO HBP SH SF ROE GDP SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS BAbip sOPS+ tOPS+ Split
+-+------------+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+--+--+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+------------+
Home 41 34 152 141 12 32 4 1 2 15 11 0 22 0 0 0 2 8 0 0 .227 .283 .312 .595 .256 55 66 Home
Away 42 37 177 168 21 53 13 0 6 29 7 0 39 0 0 2 2 1 0 0 .315 .339 .500 .839 .376 123 129 Away

Bring him in.

CaiGuy
04-15-2008, 04:57 PM
I like Ross better than Piazza. At least he can throw the ball the second.

When is Ross due back? Could the Reds just wait for him?

That said, though, Piazza could be better than Valentine (who's defense can't be that much better than Piazza's) and definitely is better than Bako (who doesn't seem to bring any value to the team-Who cares about his hot start, look at his career). Valentine is less valuable as a LPH (was he ever?) because of Hattiburg, so replacing him with Piazza could make some sense. That would give the Reds a decent pinch hitting duo.

Kc61
04-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Piazza would primarily be a platoon first baseman, I assume.

The Reds righty catcher is Ross. Bako is the lefty alternative.

Piazza was not a good defensive first baseman for the Mets, as I recall, but he has some experience at the position. As a righty platoon he wouldn't play that often.

I assume if the Reds were to sign Piazza they would let Valentin go. Piazza would be the emergency third catcher. They can't keep Ross, Bako, Valentin and Piazza. No defensive flexibility.

Piazza was one of the great right handed hitters I have seen. He destroyed lefty pitching. If he has anything left in the tank he would be a huge upgrade against lefty pitchers for for the rest of this year. Don't know about a second year, although I could see a Reds team option.

If Piazza is around to platoon first base, then Valentin would likely go, but also it makes Hatteberg more expendable. Votto/Piazza would seem to man first base sufficiently. You don't really need two lefty hitting first sackers. This bench really needs some work.

RedsManRick
04-15-2008, 05:19 PM
If you want a .750 OPS bat to platoon vL at 1B, why not give Dave Ross a big glove? I'm sure he can play defense there as well as Piazza...

Patrick Bateman
04-15-2008, 05:25 PM
If you want a .750 OPS bat to platoon vL at 1B, why not give Dave Ross a big glove? I'm sure he can play defense there as well as Piazza...

Because he'll be playing catcher.

*BaseClogger*
04-15-2008, 05:36 PM
I'm confident that this guy's defense will not be worse than Juan Castro's offense. Yes...

dfs
04-15-2008, 05:45 PM

I understand where you are coming from, but the ideal candidate to shop for a right handed DH/platoon 1B/Pinch Hitter/Backup Catcher type would be Hatteberg. It frees up Hatteberg's slot on your roster and slots somebody right in that role.

I would certainly hate for them to dump any arm for that kind of roster spot.

If Piazza is brought in for that role for less than 3 million at no organizational cost other than moving somebody off the 25 man roster?
Sure.
That's doable.

Highlifeman21
04-15-2008, 05:55 PM

So a bunch of trucks and trailers with animals hanging out of them pulling into Cincinnati is a bad sign, right?

reds44
04-15-2008, 06:10 PM
I'd rather have Sosa.

PuffyPig
04-15-2008, 06:11 PM

Those are guys with some value that are still potentially tantalizing to some teams.

All of the above (except probably Maloney) have quite a bit of value. But I see most of the above contributing big time, as early as this year for most of them.

REDREAD
04-15-2008, 06:40 PM
I understand where you are coming from, but the ideal candidate to shop for a right handed DH/platoon 1B/Pinch Hitter/Backup Catcher type would be Hatteberg. It frees up Hatteberg's slot on your roster and slots somebody right in that role. .

I wasn't clear on what I meant.. I meant shop those guys (Homer, EdE, Burton, etc) for a long term solution to our RH hitting problem.

Really, this has been plaguing us ever since Kearns and Pena left. Felipe hit LH well while he was here as well.

Piazza would be a good stopgap, but I think Wayne needs to start thinking a little bit long term if he hopes to contend in 2009 or 2010. Stealing from another thread, it would be awesome to snag someone like Matt Kemp.

REDREAD
04-15-2008, 06:41 PM
All of the above (except probably Maloney) have quite a bit of value. But I see most of the above contributing big time, as early as this year for most of them.

Yes, they all have a lot of promise. That's why they are attractive to other teams as well. I'm saying make a package of them for a cornerstone RH bat.

OnBaseMachine
04-15-2008, 06:43 PM
I fail to see the point in trading Burton unless the Reds are getting a great return. Burton had a very nice second half of last season (1.83 ERA) and that seems to have carried into this season. He's our second best reliever behind Cordero. If I'm trading him I want a big return. Same goes for Homer Bailey - if he's dealt I want a Matt Kemp type return.

RBA
04-15-2008, 06:44 PM
If Ryan Freel is worth $3.5 million a year, what is Piazza worth?

PuffyPig
04-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Yes, they all have a lot of promise. That's why they are attractive to other teams as well. I'm saying make a package of them for a cornerstone RH bat.

I wouldn't trade any pitching. We always need it.

dfs
04-15-2008, 07:02 PM
huh. I see Maloney as probably the second most valuable thing on that list.

Bailey/Maloney/Burton/Bray/EdE

The problem I have with shopping for a real right handed bat right now...is where do you play him? The time to do that was in the offseason.

A lot of the lefty/right trouble is going to take care of itself once they make a decision about Junior and Dunn. One of those guys will not be here in 09. If one leaves, you plug Bruce into the hole and you have the same problem. If they both leave....Then you can get a righthanded corner man.

Getting Edwin to really hit is the real solution.

redsfan4445
04-15-2008, 07:07 PM
how about Ryan Garko (RHH) 1st basemen from Cleveland?? Package Votto and maybe Bray? Garko is only 25 and has power and could protect Dunn batting behind him instead of Edwin!

RedlegJake
04-15-2008, 07:53 PM
Votto and Bray and Cleveland laughs in your face. Really.

redsfan4445
04-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Votto and Bray and Cleveland laughs in your face. Really.

Ouch.. didn't mean to hit a nerve.. just wanted to offer a idea on who to go after..

RedlegJake
04-15-2008, 08:13 PM
No, I apologize if my reply seemed harsh...didn't really mean it to...just that Garko is a stud - you picked the right target but no way the Indians would do that deal. Getting Garko would hurt a lot more. Maybe Bailey and Votto but even that might not be enough.

Always Red
04-15-2008, 08:33 PM
A lot of the lefty/right trouble is going to take care of itself once they make a decision about Junior and Dunn. One of those guys will not be here in 09.

Just a hunch, but maybe neither of those guys will be here in 2009?

Kriv/Jock/Cast may take this contract opportunity (for both Dunn and Junior) to remake the OF into one that can play the defense required to match an improved pitching staff.

I think the FO is trying hard to reshape this team into an aggressive, NL style team with pitching, defense and position players with more athletic ability. Dunner and Junior are both AL type (ummm...DH/1B) players at this point. Though to be fair, I think AD has played a very nice LF thus far this young season. This is just a hunch, and I do enjoy watching both guys play, but I can sense change in the air...

gm
04-15-2008, 08:46 PM
how about Ryan Garko (RHH) 1st basemen from Cleveland?? Package Votto and maybe Bray? Garko is only 25 and has power and could protect Dunn batting behind him instead of Edwin!

I like the idea to target a younger player. Adding Piazza smacks of a one-year rental, similar to Conine. This need for a RHH 1st baseman/LF has been a hole in the Red's roster for-evvvv-er

(I realize the GAB is built for LH power, but balls fly out to LF and RCF off the bats of RH hitters, just fine...)

REDREAD
04-15-2008, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't trade any pitching. We always need it.

Sadly, we need several things. That's the problem.

We actually have a semi-surplus of pitching now. If we can sell some high, I think we should go for it.

True, a team can never have enough quality pitching, but a team can never have a good enough defense and offense either.

*BaseClogger*
04-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Sadly, we need several things. That's the problem.

We actually have a semi-surplus of pitching now. If we can sell some high, I think we should go for it.

True, a team can never have enough quality pitching, but a team can never have a good enough defense and offense either.

I agree. A run scored is a run prevented. I think that should be my new sig...

Matt700wlw
04-16-2008, 12:46 AM
Fay:

On the Piazza rumor

I think there's something to the Mike Piazza rumor. That is not to say it's going to happen. I've got a call out to his agent but haven't heard back.

A person I talked to said the Reds are looking at lot of possibilities to get some more right-handed pop. Piazza could provide that. But it sounded like the Reds hadn't gotten very far in talks.

I asked Dusty Baker if he would like more right-handed power in his bench.

"Good question, John,” Baker said. "Pittsburgh was pretty evident of that. We've talked about it many times."

Jorge Cantu's name has come up a lot on the blog recently. Our buddy CSA asked what my opinion was on why they let him go. They said the time it was to clear a spot of the 40-man to make Rule 5 pick. That turned out to be a bad reason because Sergio Valenzuela was sent back to Atlanta before he ever pitched in a game.

But that's only part of the reason. Cantu was arbitration-eligible. That means the Reds would have had to pay him at least $1 million. They didn't think he was worth it evidently

Ron Madden
04-16-2008, 03:31 AM
Please Wayne, say no to Mike Piazza.

LoganBuck
04-16-2008, 08:20 AM

Why say no, when it feels so good to say yes!

puca
04-16-2008, 09:37 AM

If he bumps Valentine then why not?

If he hits, then he can be moved at the break. If he doesn't, then we're no worse of then we are now.

Falls City Beer
04-16-2008, 10:33 AM
This is an honest question: can Piazza physically play the catcher's position? I thought some injury had totally inhibited him from playing the position, not just playing it well.

Benihana
04-16-2008, 11:29 AM
I'd be fine with a Piazza signing. Hopefully by this time next year, Votto can play full-time vs. lefties as well.

WVRedsFan
04-16-2008, 11:30 AM
This is an honest question: can Piazza physically play the catcher's position? I thought some injury had totally inhibited him from playing the position, not just playing it well.
Chances are he won't want to in any event. Getting him to sign as a catcher would probably be impossible.

PuffyPig
04-16-2008, 02:01 PM
No, I apologize if my reply seemed harsh...didn't really mean it to...just that Garko is a stud - you picked the right target but no way the Indians would do that deal. Getting Garko would hurt a lot more. Maybe Bailey and Votto but even that might not be enough.

Garko is hardly a stud. A .842 OPS in 2007 is nice, but hardly great for a first baseman. He's already 27, and has had one full year (more or less) in the majors, where he posted a .289-21-61. He doesn't walk that much either.

Bailey and Votto would get you a much better player than Garko.

PuffyPig
04-16-2008, 02:02 PM

Piazza should not be considered a cather at this time IMO, other than as the emergency third catcher.

LoganBuck
04-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Unless he fixed whatever was ailing his shoulder last season, he probably isn't worth much. He has to be able to attempt to throw.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/12/SPGM3QV2SH1.DTL