PDA

View Full Version : Reds after Piazza?

SeeinRed
04-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Link (http://gothambaseballmagazine.com/yankees/piazza-coming-to-the-bronx.html)

Interesting

CySeymour
04-15-2008, 11:44 AM
I would really doubt he could catch anymore, but he might be an interesting right handed bat at first and off the bench.

SeeinRed
04-15-2008, 11:49 AM
One would almost have to think it would be a move made with a trade in mind. Could they trade Hatteberg and platoon him at first, or maybe trade a catcher? Don't know, but it would be interesting to say the least.

Old NDN
04-15-2008, 12:02 PM
I'd go for it. Piazza surely knows that he's not an everyday catcher anymore. But that right handed bat sure could help. He could get plenty of AB's at 1B, PH, or catching.

WildcatFan
04-15-2008, 12:11 PM
I like it as well. Gives a boost to the right side of the plate, plus you are free to move Hattie and/or Javy for middle relief help (not that you weren't free before — it just looks better now). Don't overpay, but definitely pursue this one.

schmidty622
04-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Dump Hatte and im fine with it. The platoon would make much more sense than the way it is now with 2 LH 1bs.

AdamDunn
04-15-2008, 12:58 PM
No no no. He doesn't thrown out anyone behind the plate... literally.

Krawhitham
04-15-2008, 01:11 PM
No no no. He doesn't thrown out anyone behind the plate... literally.

How does that differ from Javier. Platoon him at 1st with a started a C every once in a while and cut Castro, or Javier, or Coffey to make room

Javier throw out 11% last season same as Piazza this last season as a catcher, but Piazza calls a better game

KySteveH
04-15-2008, 01:18 PM
I'll take 2006 Piazza...283/342/501. But I would expecting more like 260/310/440 from the 2008 model.

AmarilloRed
04-15-2008, 01:21 PM
I read the article. It seems both teams realize his defense isn't what it once was. They would be seeking to acquire him for his power(Dusty mentioned him hitting 25 HR in GABP), and his ability to handle a pitching staff. I would be for it if he could do a good job handling our young pitchers.

Brian
04-15-2008, 01:24 PM
The righty bat would be interesting of course. The Reds have a lot of decisions to make soon, even more if they add a player like Piazza. I'd say Edwin has 2 more series to work out the swing or he'll be doing it in AAA while Kepp/Freel man 3rd.

WildcatFan
04-15-2008, 01:30 PM
I know what the article said about him not being happy at 1st, but I would be really surprised if Cincy or anybody else put him behind the plate, even occasionally. It especially doesn't make sense here, seeing as how, once Ross gets back, you have two above-average defensive catchers that bat from either side of the plate. I really think, regardless of what Piazza says, you are looking at 1st base starts against leftys and a RH power bat off the bench. I also can't see them cutting Bako with the way he's worked with Volquez and Johnny K. So if all of those pieces fall into place (Hattie and Javy are movable and Piazza will sign at a low cost), I think it is a good option.

AmarilloRed
04-15-2008, 01:31 PM
The righty bat would be interesting of course. The Reds have a lot of decisions to make soon, even more if they add a player like Piazza. I'd say Edwin has 2 more series to work out the swing or he'll be doing it in AAA while Kepp/Freel man 3rd.

Keppinger will be at short at least another month or 2 until Gonzalez gets healthy(if he ever does); Freel is in no danger of taking anyone's starting spot. I expect there is time for Edwin to turn things around.

TheBigLebowski
04-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Bring him on. He's RH and there's almost no way we'd ever want him to catch. Plus, he is a good veteran presence in the clubhouse - he would replace Hatte's veteran spiritual creaminess.

Hondo
04-15-2008, 02:09 PM
There is no reason to Play him at 1st Base... Everytime a Left Handed Pitcher Starts, he should Catch and otherwise be a Pinch Hitter.

Votto needs to start everyday... at 1st.

bounty37h
04-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Hondo, you ever seen him catch? There is no reason for him to ever catch again, for any team, any level-he wasnt very good when he was young and could physically do it.

LouisvilleCARDS
04-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Sign him, we need someone who can hit lefties. One year though, for sure.

Hondo
04-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Hondo, you ever seen him catch? There is no reason for him to ever catch again, for any team, any level-he wasnt very good when he was young and could physically do it.

Yeah, he couldn't throw any of us out trying to steal... He also is going to have a few passed Balls...

My Point was he wouldn't start ahead of Votto at 1st... I already do not like the fact that Hatteberg is getting starts from Votto...

I would only want Piazza as a Right Handed side of a Platoon at Catcher... Not taking AB's away from Votto...

This team needs to find out if Votto is going to be a Fielder/Howard type player, or a well, Hal Morris/Sean Casey/Scott Hatteberg type player...

*Post Note*

I am not implying Votto will smack 50 Homers this year or next with the Fielder/Howard line... More that he develops into an All-Star

goreds2
04-15-2008, 04:48 PM
I say give him a look and get him. He will give you a pretty good at bat each time.

He could be the Reds emergency 3rd catcher which you know how the Reds love that extra catcher on the roster. ;)

jmac
04-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Piazza still has the homerun swing and I agree with Dusty. He could hit a few in GABP.Bring him on !

redsfanmia
04-15-2008, 06:28 PM
He would add pop off the bench and could platoon with Votto I say do it.

GoReds33
04-15-2008, 06:34 PM
I'd take it. He's got to be a step over some of these guys. I agree that he could play first base, and platoon with Votto. That would really help us against lefties.

SarasotaFan
04-15-2008, 06:38 PM
i think the Reds could use some pizza, it would change things up cause I was getting tired of the chili...

goreds2
04-15-2008, 08:40 PM
i think the Reds could use some pizza, it would change things up cause I was getting tired of the chili...

Has someone been "tailgating" before tonights game? ;)
:beerme:

Kingspoint
04-16-2008, 02:44 AM
REDS after Piazza? Is this another dumb idea by Baker?

BEETTLEBUG
04-16-2008, 02:53 AM
Yea sounds like it. Maybe Sosa or Reggie Sanders!!!!!

BLEEDS
04-16-2008, 08:34 AM
There are a lot of WORSE things we could do than sign Piazza to play against Lefties - at C until Ross is healthy, and at 1B after that.

Why in the world we STILL have Hatte is beyond me. We have a Platoon at 1B - Votto and Hatte alternate against Righties... :dunno:

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Newman4
04-16-2008, 02:28 PM
MLBTR has a report as well:

Reds Interested In Piazza?
WEDNESDAY: Hal McCoy ran this one by Dusty, who implied that he hasn't had any discussions about Piazza specifically. Meanwhile Fay says the Reds have "mild interest" in his latest article.

TUESDAY: This morning, Mark Healey of Gotham Baseball wrote that Reds manager Dusty Baker expected his team to sign free agent catcher Mike Piazza. Reds beat writer John Fay checked in on the rumor, and it he didn't get a denial. Whether or not Piazza is the target, the Reds are looking for catching help and/or a right-handed bench bat.

Piazza, 39, hit .275/.313/.414 in 83 games last year. He earned $8.5MM from the A's and didn't catch at all. A shoulder injury knocked him out for much of the season, and he cleared waivers in August. The A's offered him arbitration after the season, which he declined. They stand to snag a supplemental draft pick if he signs with the Reds. This winter we heard rumblings about retirement, the Rays, or even Japan for Piazza.

Stephenk29
04-16-2008, 02:45 PM
I don't see how it could hurt. We obviously need a righty off the bench and he could catch in emergency situations. Veteran catcher for the younger arms as well. Tell Valentin to take a hike, he's atrocious.

tommycash
04-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Drop Valentin and Castro, trade Hatteburg
Sign Piazza, bring up Hairston, Cabrera, or Phillips, and recall Ross from the DL
Ross and Bako fill up most of the catching duties
Hairston (my personal choice) would be more versatile than Castro becuase he can play in the outfield
Piazza would be a great 1st base platoon, emergency 3rd catcher, help with the pitchers during bullpen sessions when not playing, and would provide that power right handed bat we so desperately need off the bench.

I like it as long as he does not get too many games behind the plate, does not take away too many at bats from Votto, and we don't pay him that much.

BLEEDS
04-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Can he play 3rd base at all?

What we really need is another Lefty First baseman, or a weakling 5th/6th outfielder...

Why would we want a veteran Righty who crushes Lefties, and can play C/1B or bench PH? That's just silly!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

bgwilly31
04-16-2008, 05:41 PM
I dont know.

I dont really see it being that big of an improvement over our current situation. So why bother. Its a very temporary improvement if it is a slight improvement.
The guy is 40yrs old.

Degenerate39
04-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Can he play 3rd base at all?

What we really need is another Lefty First baseman, or a weakling 5th/6th outfielder...

Why would we want a veteran Righty who crushes Lefties, and can play C/1B or bench PH? That's just silly!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

From what I've heard about Piazza he can't play Catcher anymore and he's a bad defensive 1st baseman.

Kingspoint
04-18-2008, 02:03 AM
There are a lot of WORSE things we could do than sign Piazza to play against Lefties - at C until Ross is healthy, and at 1B after that.

Why in the world we STILL have Hatte is beyond me. We have a Platoon at 1B - Votto and Hatte alternate against Righties... :dunno:

PEACE

-BLEEDS

He was too cheap not to resign, and we couldn't let him go because he ended up being a Type-C player and we wouldn't get any compensation if another team signed him. So instead, we now get to trade him in June and get some players in return. Krivsky did excellent in what he got for Conine last August. If he does as well, then it was a good move. He should be gone as a RED in June, so until then, Votto doesn't have to have as much pressure on him and Votto gets to have a veteran to next to him to show him how it's done.

Also, Votto has to learn to hit righties anyway, and it's not like the REDS were set up this year to contend for the playoffs, so why not get Votto some at-bats against Right-handers this year. It's all good.

BLEEDS
04-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Also, Votto has to learn to hit righties anyway, and it's not like the REDS were set up this year to contend for the playoffs, so why not get Votto some at-bats against Right-handers this year. It's all good.

I assume you meant "Lefties". He took one yard last night.

I'll buy your other points - on paper it made sense - but we ended up with TWO platoon-type Lefty 1B-man, and no other bench players worth mentioning. I'll assume they didn't keep Cantu because they thought Kepp could fill in at 1B and be the righty off the bench. (UN?)Fortunately he has been the starting SS and looks pretty capable of playing every day.

We have some tough moves if/when Agon comes back. I don't think we can put Kepp back on the bench.

In the meantime, we have CRAP in terms of RH-ers on our bench. A bunch of scrappy-slap-bunters with ZERO patience and LESS THAN ZERO power.

The time might be NOW to trade Hatte and get some RH bench power.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Kingspoint
04-18-2008, 03:32 PM
I assume you meant "Lefties". He took one yard last night.

I'll buy your other points - on paper it made sense - but we ended up with TWO platoon-type Lefty 1B-man, and no other bench players worth mentioning. I'll assume they didn't keep Cantu because they thought Kepp could fill in at 1B and be the righty off the bench. (UN?)Fortunately he has been the starting SS and looks pretty capable of playing every day.

We have some tough moves if/when Agon comes back. I don't think we can put Kepp back on the bench.

In the meantime, we have CRAP in terms of RH-ers on our bench. A bunch of scrappy-slap-bunters with ZERO patience and LESS THAN ZERO power.

The time might be NOW to trade Hatte and get some RH bench power.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Yeah, I did mean "lefties". Thanks for catching that. It is screwy with two players playing the exact same role, especially when one bench spot is already being wasted by Castro, so that make two spots being wasted. Had Hatteberg started hot, it would be a non-issue, but he didn't. Maybe that was a good thing after Votto's game last night. Freel is still necessary because Keppinger is starting, but there are guys in the Minors that are waiting.

"Now" is a good time to trade Hatte. But, most teams, including our own, are still exploring options on their 25-man roster and in AAA. Everyone's cards are still being shuffled as no one is sure yet what they've got and what they need. This early, what you need may be in your own house, and you don't want to miss it if it's there.