PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for high blood pressure

cincrazy
04-15-2008, 05:57 PM
So I got some bad news today. I'm 22 years old, soon to be 23, and my blood pressure is at 160/90, NOT GOOD. My doctor told me it's not dangerous territory, but that I need to address the problem and quickly. Because of my age, he doesn't want to put me on medication yet.

Anyways, any suggestions? I've flat-out abused my body the last two years. I worked at a restaurant and had everything I shouldn't eat, and if you couple that with inactivity, you get a bad situation.

For those of you that have experiences with high blood pressure, what foods should I stay away from? What foods should I eat the most? How much exercise should I do? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, this is foreign territory to me.

WMR
04-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Stay away from the game threads.

goreds2
04-15-2008, 06:05 PM
I have heard you should cut down on salt but I am not positive. Your doctor should have given you a list. Try doing a google search.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4RNWN_en_____207&q=high+blood+pressure+remedies

Best wishes.

04-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Physical fitness.

WMR
04-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Seriously, however, your doctor should have worked with you to develop a "game plan" to deal with the issues that you are facing. He can give you much better advice than anyone here b/c he should know your body better than anyone besides yourself.

I can tell you that you should be getting at least of 30 minutes of exercise every day and eat tons of fruits and vegetables. Your doctor should have given you some "rules to live by," however.

BRM
04-15-2008, 06:08 PM
A very good friend of mine is going through this right now, although he's older than you. He said the only thing his doctor told him was to get regular exercise. I was a bit surprised because I really thought he would be told to change his diet somewhat. A google search or looking on WebMD should get you some good advice though.

BRM
04-15-2008, 06:09 PM
I can tell you that you should be getting at least of 30 minutes of exercise every day and eat tons of fruits and vegetables. Your doctor should have given you some "rules to live by," however.

Are 12 ounce curls considered "exercise"? If so, I'm all set.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-15-2008, 06:09 PM

:lol:

But on a serious note. Probably consult with a physician before you start a serious exercise program, if that's the plan you were thinking of taking. I probably wouldn't do intense cardio until the BP is more under control, at which time you can dial it up some if you feel the need.

Changing a diet is the truly hard part though. Try to eat lean proteins(poultry/fish), stay away from red meats if you can. I like to supplement to get some good fats(Omega 3's) with fish oil capsules, which are supposedly great for the heart and circulation.

I can probably come back with some more info for you later(I'm studying exercise science in school, I want to be a trainer lol)

*BaseClogger*
04-15-2008, 06:11 PM
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/treat/treat.htm

WMR
04-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Are 12 ounce curls considered "exercise"? If so, I'm all set.

It gives new meaning to the term "carbo-loading." :lol:

SunDeck
04-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Wow, that's pretty tough news. I would probably tell my MD that I'd like help getting more fit and in better cardiovascular shape. Obviously, eating less and eating the right foods are important as is getting exercise, but you really need some professional help on this one because they can help you identify what the most effective course of action will be.

My mom has high BP and the one thing I know for certain is that salt is a no-no. Every time I eat at her house, she apologizes for the lack of salt on her cooking.

jimbo
04-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Excercise, excercise, excercise. I have HBP (I'm 41) also and was able to bring down to an acceptable level by taking my medicine and doing a lot of walking. I feel tremendously better also.

As far as diet, I think the biggest key is staying away from processed and fast food. Or if you can't do away with it entirely, eat it in moderation. Basically, anything in a box, can, sealed package (like lunchmeat, hot dogs, etc.), and in your frozen food section is loaded with salt. You'd be amazed at how much salt is in that crap once you start actually looking at the labels.

At your age, I really think you'll be able to bring it down by excercising and watching what you eat.

BRM
04-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Is alcohol also a no-no for people with high blood pressure?

cincrazy
04-15-2008, 07:03 PM
I really appreciate all the responses so quickly. My doctor was very helpful in the discussion I had with him. He told me to stay away from salt, and to up my potassium and calcium intake, as well as exercising regularly.

I just thought it would help me understand it even further if I got some input from people that have experienced it. Makes for pretty devastating news when you're only 22, but it's the price one pays for not taking care of their body.

Thanks for all the help, it's GREATLY appreciated :)

cincrazy
04-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Is alcohol also a no-no for people with high blood pressure?

Actually it is, but I don't drink, so no problems there :thumbup:

BRM
04-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Actually it is, but I don't drink, so no problems there :thumbup:

That's what I thought. I asked my friend about it and he held firm claiming all his doctor said was regular exercise. I know he drinks LOTS of beer and I worry that even with exercise, he's not going to be able to get his HBP under control because of that.

vaticanplum
04-15-2008, 07:09 PM
I really appreciate all the responses so quickly. My doctor was very helpful in the discussion I had with him. He told me to stay away from salt, and to up my potassium and calcium intake, as well as exercising regularly.

I just thought it would help me understand it even further if I got some input from people that have experienced it. Makes for pretty devastating news when you're only 22, but it's the price one pays for not taking care of their body.

Keep watch on yourself, because high blood pressure at 22 is not incredibly common even in people who don't take care of themselves (translation: don't entirely blame yourself :) ) I'm by no means a doctor, and presumably you've spoken with your doctor about this, but I'd start getting your cholesterol checked regularly and just in general keeping an eye on your heart. Does high blood pressure run in your family? You have a great deal of control over your blood pressure, of course, but these things are hugely genetic and HPB at 22 is usually a flag.

SunDeck
04-15-2008, 07:21 PM

The upside is that you are young. :thumbup:
As a relative pup, I'm guessing you have a significant chance of getting your BP down and keeping it there.

cincrazy
04-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks for all the support. It's just been a rough few days. High blood pressure runs in the family, so it's had me a bit on edge. I've had a lot of stress lately, which I think has a lot to do with it. It's just disappointing. When you're this age you think you're invincible to all that stuff.

And the doctor suggested cholestoral blood work, but my health insurance isn't good at the moment, and he said that he thought it could wait, that it wasn't an urgent matter

Roy Tucker
04-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Don't have kids.

pedro
04-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Don't have kids.

I knew that was going to be your response before I even opened up the thread.

goreds2
04-16-2008, 12:00 AM

Especially after tonight. :(

BUTLER REDSFAN
04-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Dont watch the reds games..I'm considering it.. I do have high blood pressure and by the end of these games I have projectile vomiting and explosive flatuence...

rotnoid
04-16-2008, 07:58 PM
I've been told that sea salt is the way to go. Not sure if there's necessarily less sodium in it, but several people have told me to make the switch. I think it tastes better anyway.

gm
04-16-2008, 08:59 PM
I've been told that sea salt is the way to go. Not sure if there's necessarily less sodium in it, but several people have told me to make the switch. I think it tastes better anyway.

Colloidal silver and websites like this http://www.healthline.cc/

Spring~Fields
04-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Get serious about eating right, don't play with fire.

Like another said get off the salt.

Just curious, was this the first time that your blood pressure was high?

BUTLER REDSFAN
04-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Dont watch the reds games..I'm considering it.. I do have high blood pressure and by the end of these games I have projectile vomiting and explosive flatuence...

I intentionally did not watch the game tonight--and I swear as of 11:23pm I dont have that ticked off mad attitude that i normally have...

Yachtzee
04-17-2008, 12:44 AM
Thanks for all the support. It's just been a rough few days. High blood pressure runs in the family, so it's had me a bit on edge. I've had a lot of stress lately, which I think has a lot to do with it. It's just disappointing. When you're this age you think you're invincible to all that stuff.

And the doctor suggested cholestoral blood work, but my health insurance isn't good at the moment, and he said that he thought it could wait, that it wasn't an urgent matter

Get some sleep.

I had issues with high blood pressure. I dealt with it by graduating from law school. What you eat may cause hbp and it can also be hereditary, but don't discount how you're living. Throughout law school, I was stressed out, I got little sleep, and I was often either trudging around with heavy books and a laptop or spending hours on end tossing back Red Bull and burying my nose in the books. Then I would come home and wrangle two young boys while my wife was working late to support us while I was in school. The lifestyle really took its toll by the third year. I was so bad that my hands would constantly shake and I had trouble getting to sleep from acid reflux and feeling my heart pound in my chest.

My doctor took a conservative approach and suggested I check my blood pressure regularly at the drug store or grocery and just keep an eye on it. Once I graduated from law school, I started getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night, dropped down to 1 cup of coffee and 1 diet carbonated soda a day. I also started Weightwatchers online and chose to do the flex plan where it focuses on portion sizes and balancing your bad choices with good choices. I lost 25 lbs., my blood pressure went down, and I got off the prescription for Acid Reflux, something I've had a problem with for over 10 years.

dfs
04-17-2008, 08:50 AM

A couple of thoughts come to mind.

First of all, pay attention to your diet and get regular daily exercise. There are six bazillian reasons that this is good advice for everybody at any age and any physical condition. Don't overdo exercise, but do SOMETHING every day. That way the next day, you can do a bit more.

Second of all.....you're 23 year's old and your blood pressure is 160/90....how consistently? Is this one reading? several readings over several years? If it's one single reading...How did you feel at the time? You were at the doctor's? Where you nervous? Where you ill? If so, it's very possible that you've got one slightly high reading under understandable conditions....have somebody reliable take your BP reading on a semi-regular basis to confirm if this is a diagnosis that you should take seriously.

What I'm getting at ...is that if you were at the doctor, feeling ill and uncomfortable while they were taking your blood pressure, it's possible that the reader caught a spike and your regular BP is 130/80 which is fine and nothing to be alarmed about. That does happen.

Again, refer to the first paragraph were you are encouraged to eat right and exercize anyway.

oneupper
04-20-2008, 10:18 AM

This may be WAY off, but I had high blood pressure at a very early age (250/220 at age 8) and it turned out to be a pheochromocytoma (a rare benign tumor of the adrenalin glands). This is a condition which can "run in the family" and there are easy tests (urine) to discard it a as a possibility. You want to rule this out because unchecked it can be very harmful.
Onset of symptoms for Pheos are not normally at the age I had mine, but around your age.

Sea Ray
04-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Before you know that you have a problem you'll need several readings. It could have just been a bad day. I am a medical person and I'm not alarmed at your readings. I think a change of lifestyle can bring you back down into the normal range.

As for the cholesterol, my suggestion is to give blood. Here in Cincinnati Hoxworth is the blood donation center and they not only check your BP, they also give you a free cholesterol score. I give blood regularly and one of the reasons is they check your vitals and if there is a serious problem with your blood they'll tell you so you don't donate anymore. This includes leukemia, hepatitis and AIDS. So I have a record of my BP, pulse, cholesterol and other readings.

The top number is easier to move than the lower. If you can bring it down to 120/80 you're golden and I'm betting you can without medication. So cheer up, it's not so bad. You'll be fine.

cincrazy
07-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Update on the high blood pressure... for a while after it was initially found to be high, it stayed high. But I continued to work hard to bring it down. Ate right, dropped 20 lbs and returned to my normal weight, and became much more active. The last several readings have been pretty good. This morning it was 126/70. Yesterday it was 140/80, not great, but world's better than what it was. Every now and again the top number will be a little elevated, but the bottom number is completely under control, hasn't gone over 80. Good to know that hard work pays off :)

WebScorpion
07-10-2008, 02:23 AM
I use a salt that is 50% Sodium Chloride and 50% Potassium Chloride. Your body uses potassium to process the sodium out of your body, so it virtually gets rid of itself. I was diagnosed with white coat hypertension and had to wear a monitor for a while, but my normal BP is 110/65 which is pretty good. I've had some pretty freaky readings at the doctor's office 160/130, 150/90...usually it's in the 140/95 range. I told my doctor it seemed obvious to me...I hate doctors. :D I always tell them my blood pressure is directly related to the amount of time I'm left in the waiting room beyond my 'appointment' time. ;) When I was first diagnosed, I lost 20 pounds and switched to this salt and I never saw any reason to switch back.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Kingspoint
07-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Stay away from watching sports.

Kingspoint
07-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Genuinely like people and don't complain about anything.