PDA

View Full Version : When's the last time Harang threw a true brushback pitch?

WMR
04-15-2008, 08:40 PM
He is way too reticent about throwing inside, brushing a hitter back, and taking him out of his comfort zone. Hitters are wayyyyy too comfortable digging in against Aaron Harang. One reason he gives up so many HRs, IMO.

RedFanAlways1966
04-15-2008, 08:54 PM
He is way too reticent about throwing inside, brushing a hitter back, and taking him out of his comfort zone. Hitters are wayyyyy too comfortable digging in against Aaron Harang. One reason he gives up so many HRs, IMO.

Hold on, WMR.

* 2nd & 3rd starts this year, Harang gave up 0 HRs in 15 IP.
>> He did allow two solo HRs on Opening Day (6IP, 2ER, QS).
>> 2 HRs in 21 IP. 1 every 10.5 IP.

* Only Bailey and Lohse had higher IP/HR last year. 7 other starters were lower.
>> More strikeouts than hits allowed for Harang. Not too many are digging in against him.

WMR
04-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Last year his HR numbers were very high... that tells me that players were fine with digging in and swinging for the fences.

I'd just like to see Harang force an opposing player to change his "eye level" every once in a while. Harang is a GREAT pitcher, I'm not disputing that, I just think if he could get just a LITTLE bit of a nasty streak he could take his effectiveness to another level.

RedFanAlways1966
04-15-2008, 09:07 PM
I know what you are saying. But I don't think Aaron is the type of pitcher that scares hitters with inside stuff. I think of him as a smart pitcher. Stays ahead in the count and keeps hitters guessing (off-balance). It works for him and I wouldn't have him change anything. Never hurts to get better, but inside-stuff does not seem to be his game.

VR
04-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Last year his HR numbers were very high... that tells me that players were fine with digging in and swinging for the fences.

I'd just like to see Harang force an opposing player to change his "eye level" every once in a while. Harang is a GREAT pitcher, I'm not disputing that, I just think if he could get just a LITTLE bit of a nasty streak he could take his effectiveness to another level.

Agree, he'd be well suited to protect HIS plate by keeping hitters honest.

Spitball
04-15-2008, 11:42 PM
You might have a very good point. I know Jim Lonborg attributed his 1967 success (22 wins and league high in K's) to his pitching inside and leading the league in hit batters (IIRC 19). Lonnie hurt himself in a ski accident the following winter and apparently forgot how to pitch inside because he was never the same pitcher.

Possibly, it had more to do with quality pitches, but I would never rule out pitching inside.

Highlifeman21
04-16-2008, 07:08 PM
The occasional ball in a hitter's earflap goes a long way.

Just sayin'....

membengal
04-16-2008, 09:34 PM
My memory is foggy most days, but didn't larussa climb all over Harang for supposedly coming up and in at a cardinal a few years back?

The whole thing was ironic, really.

RedFanAlways1966
04-16-2008, 10:02 PM
My memory is foggy most days, but didn't larussa climb all over Harang for supposedly coming up and in at a cardinal a few years back?

The whole thing was ironic, really.

Last June...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2895769