PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Belisle is ready

Benihana
04-16-2008, 11:08 AM
to rejoin the rotation, based off of his performance in Louisville last night. If Fogg falters tonight, we should see him replaced in the rotation by Belisle. My guess is Coffey gets sent down to make room for Fogg in the pen as the long relief/spot starter.

I still wouldn't mind seeing the six man rotation with Harang going every fifth day no matter what as a way to keep the rookie's innings down. Regardless, I'd like to see Belisle back in the rotation beginning next week.

Falls City Beer
04-16-2008, 11:10 AM
I think they're going to give Fogg more opportunity to start. He hasn't been a trainwreck just yet.

Benihana
04-16-2008, 11:11 AM
I think they're going to give Fogg more opportunity to start. He hasn't been a trainwreck just yet.

I agree, that's why I said let's see what happens tonight.

Either way, I'd like to see Belisle up and Coffey down.

WVRedsFan
04-16-2008, 11:15 AM
to rejoin the rotation, based off of his performance in Louisville last night. If Fogg falters tonight, we should see him replaced in the rotation by Belisle. My guess is Coffey gets sent down to make room for Fogg in the pen as the long relief/spot starter.

I still wouldn't mind seeing the six man rotation with Harang going every fifth day no matter what as a way to keep the rookie's innings down. Regardless, I'd like to see Belisle back in the rotation beginning next week.

Watch Fogg confound us and pitch 6 innings of 2-hit ball. :)

I don't know that Coffey will go down, though I think he's the logical choice. How many more options does he have?

This club is so clogged with players now, some at AAA who need to be up here and some who never belonged here. It wouldn't surprise me to see Hopper go down (now that I've said that I can't see that either). Maybe it will be Coffey. We'll see.

BRM
04-16-2008, 11:18 AM
I think Fogg is going to get more than 3 starts before he goes anywhere. I think he makes 4 or 5 more starts after this one, regardless. Maybe more.

SMcGavin
04-16-2008, 11:24 AM

Unfortunately so do I. Will be interesting if we see Belisle to the pen, or staying in AAA to get starts.

Falls City Beer
04-16-2008, 11:26 AM
I'm sure Fogg will suck, but in the spirit of the fairness being afforded to Wayne, I think it's only right to give Fogg the benefit of the doubt until he sucks, no? He's hardly been the team's problem thus far.

Reds1
04-16-2008, 11:31 AM
I don't see how they can keep Bray down at AAA much longer either. Tonight is a big game. We need to stop this. Bad April could kill this team.

Benihana
04-16-2008, 11:53 AM
I don't see how they can keep Bray down at AAA much longer either. Tonight is a big game. We need to stop this. Bad April could kill this team.

Agreed. Bray would be one of the two or three best relievers on this team right now. Bring him up.

WVRedsFan
04-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Agreed. Bray would be one of the two or three best relievers on this team right now. Bring him up.
I'm not a big Bray fan, but I agree. We need a lefty in the pen and we need to send Coffey somewhere.

Chip R
04-16-2008, 11:58 AM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20080416/SPT04/804160378/

He's ready now. 7 innings on only 8 hitters. No one's ever done that before. :lol:

BELISLE'S NIGHT: Rehabbing right-hander Matt Belisle went seven innings for Triple-A Louisville Tuesday, allowing one run on eight hitters. He walked one and struck out six.

redsmetz
04-16-2008, 12:30 PM
I think the time is coming shortly when we're going to have to make some moves to clear roster space for players coming off the DL (Belisle, Ross, later Gonzo), not to mention guys performing well down in Louisville who should be up. It may be sending someone down, it may be DFA'ing some or working a trade for some of the surplus guys. It's coming - just a question of what it is.

SMcGavin
04-16-2008, 12:33 PM

Yes. I think he'd be the second best behind Cordero.

RedlegJake
04-16-2008, 12:36 PM
I'd send Coffey down and bring up Belisle. I think with 2 rookies the Reds will need BOTH Fogg and Belisle before the season is done. Gives the option of moving either rookie to the pen if one struggles badly and needs a break. Gives a long relief guy in Belisle or Fogg in the meantime.

schroomytunes
04-16-2008, 01:05 PM
I think Belisle will be replacing Coffey in the pen as the long reliever, and I think that maybe Castro is sent packing to make room for Hairston, as Kepp can play SS/3b/2b making Castro expendible. Hairston gives us a RH bat off the bench and can play OF/2B, until Gonzo comes back from injury. Also wouldn't mind keeping Bako over Valentin...

TRF
04-16-2008, 01:15 PM
So far Fogg has stunk, and had a QS. He's just not a very good pitcher and unlikely to improve. Belisle had three great starts on his rehab assignment. He needs to be in the rotation.

Spring~Fields
04-16-2008, 01:26 PM
I still wouldn't mind seeing the six man rotation with Harang going every fifth day no matter what as a way to keep the rookie's innings down.

Just as Benihana says above

And since it appears to be a year of building up and getting experience for the starting pitching what would be wrong with "the six man rotation"?

flyer85
04-16-2008, 01:29 PM
not sure what to make of what is happening. Seems to me they must like him better than Fogg because it doesn't look like they are preparing him to step into long relief.

Spring~Fields
04-16-2008, 01:51 PM
not sure what to make of what is happening. Seems to me they must like him better than Fogg because it doesn't look like they are preparing him to step into long relief.

I canít support this but, I wonder if Krivsky wants to work with Belisle kind of like he is with Bailey. Getting him plenty of work to build him up mentally, physically and to get him over some of the rough edges that we have seen with both though both have different issues that they are working on. Belisle has traveled a path of inconsistent use reliever/starter, maybe another start or two at AAA brings him forward to what we all were hoping? Belisle has looked good albeit Sarasota to Chattanooga to Louisville so far, looks like building blocks to me.

fearofpopvol1
04-16-2008, 03:03 PM
I don't really know what to make of this either. Fogg has only gotten 2 starts and while tonight will be 3, that's hardly enough to demote the guy, even if it's a bad start. 2 bad starts out of 3 really wouldn't be fair, regardless of his downside.

It would seem that Coffey would be the guy to go in favor of Belisle, but would that mean Belisle goes to the pen? I think he will be needed in the rotation at some point this year and I despise the idea of making him a temporary reliever then making him a starter again.

It's a tough call. I don't know what the answer is.

Reds1
04-16-2008, 05:26 PM
I'd send Coffey down and bring up Belisle. I think with 2 rookies the Reds will need BOTH Fogg and Belisle before the season is done. Gives the option of moving either rookie to the pen if one struggles badly and needs a break. Gives a long relief guy in Belisle or Fogg in the meantime.

Belise is a starter. I don't see them bringing him up to go to the pen for coffey. Not when Bray is doing what he is doing. IMO Belise should pitch in place of Fogg, but Fogg gets a chance tonight. I want him to do well though. Reds need this win.

Highlifeman21
04-16-2008, 05:50 PM

This team was DOA out of Spring Training.

A bad april will put us closer to 90 losses again, rather than 80, IMO.

We need to see more than the usual shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic in 2008 if this club's going to be anything in 2009.

redsmetz
04-16-2008, 06:05 PM

We need to see more than the usual shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic in 2008 if this club's going to be anything in 2009.

As they say in the auld country: Malarkey! This team will struggle to contend this season, but the pieces are beginning to fall in to place for next year and beyond. Yes, there are glaring weaknesses, but this team wasn't DOA in spring.

Falls City Beer

Absolutely. It's pretty insulting, IMO, that people regard trading Arroyo this season for the sake of next as "idiotic" and "kneejerk."

No--it's the opposite of kneejerk; it's embracing the fact this team needs more than a cosmetic makeover, and that Arroyo's current contract will be up by the time this team is any good.

Reds1

I'm just not impressed with the central. I think if a few things worked itself out we could compete. The Freel/Hopper/no power righty bugs me, but the pitching seems much better. Even the pen looks good and we have some help in AAA. Soriano goes down for Cubs - I just don't see anyone running away with it so I'm taking the positive appoach here, but they needed to start April better, but it's not over. Tonight is a very important game IMO. Just like Detroit and Indians - starts like this historically are doomed - heck, reds are in a much better position then they are. At least we have guys getting on. We just haven't hit them in yet.

Falls City Beer
04-16-2008, 06:06 PM
I'm just not impressed with the central. I think if a few things worked itself out we could compete. The Freel/Hopper/no power righty bugs me, but the pitching seems much better. Even the pen looks good and we have some help in AAA. Soriano goes down for Cubs - I just don't see anyone running away with it so I'm taking the positive appoach here, but they needed to start April better, but it's not over. Tonight is a very important game IMO. Just like Detroit and Indians - starts like this historically are doomed - heck, reds are in a much better position then they are. At least we have guys getting on. We just haven't hit them in yet.

Start getting impressed with the Cubs. They've got the starters, the offense, the defense, and NOW the bullpen to have this division wrapped up in August.

Benihana
04-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Start getting impressed with the Cubs. They've got the starters, the offense, the defense, and NOW the bullpen to have this division wrapped up in August.

Disagree, and strongly. I live in Chicago and couldn't be less impressed with the Cubs. They have no #1 starter (Zambrano, Hill, and Lilly are 2, 3, and 4 respectively) and their entire offense is injury prone (Lee, Ramirez et. al.) Soriano is now out indefinitely, although he was pretty bad even when healthy, and their so-called impressive bullpen is anchored by the invincible rock that is Kerry Wood.

Highlifeman21
04-16-2008, 07:54 PM
As they say in the auld country: Malarkey! This team will struggle to contend this season, but the pieces are beginning to fall in to place for next year and beyond. Yes, there are glaring weaknesses, but this team wasn't DOA in spring.

If by contend, you mean sniff .500, then yes, this team will struggle to contend this season.

I'd like to think the pieces are beginning to fall into place for 2009 and beyond, but 2008 is the audition/dress rehearsal for future teams, aka 2009 and beyond. Cueto and Volquez are a nice opening act for this dress rehearsal, but we need to see what happens with Votto and Bruce, and what the Reds attempt to do in regards to the C situation, the SS situation, the 3B situation, the OF situation and the never-ending story that is our lack of quality pitching.

In terms of making the playoffs via the division or the wildcard, this team was DOA out of Spring Training. Hopefully that changes out of Spring Training for 2009.

Highlifeman21
04-16-2008, 07:59 PM

There's a lot of flaws in the logic of the Reds being a good ballclub just b/c the NL Central is weak.

Yes, the NL Central is weak, however that doesn't make the Reds a good ballclub right now.

Hopefully Jocketty is smacking some sense into Wayne and Bob that we shouldn't build this team to be "good in the NL Central", but rather we should be building this team to be "good in any division in the MLB". Building the Reds to be good in the NL Central might get us into the playoffs down the road, but should that happen, anticipate early exits.

The Reds need to strive to be a good ballclub, rather than a good ballclub based on their division.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-16-2008, 09:26 PM
I really hope he's ready. I've seen enough Josh Fogg... last week.

CTA513
04-16-2008, 09:27 PM
I really hope he's ready. I've seen enough Josh Fogg... last week.

:beerme:

TRF
04-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Well, without turning this into a game thread, Josh Fogg is pitching like... Josh Fogg. I'm betting this is enough to get Belisle back in the rotation.

Matt700wlw
04-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Could be. Probably should be. Not that I have a whole lot of faith that Matt Belisle is going to be much better (he hasn't shown me much) he at least has the potential to be, and has more in his arsenal...and he's younger.

Fogg is what he is, and it isn't very good.

Strikes Out Looking
04-16-2008, 09:36 PM
I am willing to bet in 5 days, Matt will be in the rotation. Josh Fogg will be also...in Louisville.

Matt700wlw
04-16-2008, 09:39 PM
I am willing to bet in 5 days, Matt will be in the rotation. Josh Fogg will be also...in Louisville.

Let's clarify...not me :D

Tommyjohn25
04-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Let's clarify...not me :D

Ah man! When is it going to be your turn?

TRF
04-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Could be. Probably should be. Not that I have a whole lot of faith that Matt Belisle is going to be much better (he hasn't shown me much) he at least has the potential to be, and has more in his arsenal...and he's younger.

Fogg is what he is, and it isn't very good.

Last year, he was every bit as good as Arroyo, better in some places. Considering it was his first full year as a starter since what, 2002 in the minors, I'd say he showed a lot. decent K rate, good BB rate. a little hittable at times, and had flashes of dominance. two 9K games.

TRF
04-16-2008, 09:54 PM
wow. just wow. I wonder if there was any way to predict Josh Fogg would flat suck in the Reds rotation.

I mean other than looking at his entire body of work.

SMcGavin
04-16-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm guessing Belisle to rotation, Fogg to long man, Coffey to AAA.

TRF
04-16-2008, 09:58 PM
At this point I don't think Fogg is a better option than Coffey.

SMcGavin
04-16-2008, 10:01 PM

Yea, not sure I can argue that. Bill Bray is much better than both of them though so let's hope he is up soon (as in tomorrow).

Tommyjohn25
04-16-2008, 10:04 PM
I would have made Fogg stay out there and give up 47 runs. As long as they choose to run him out there, they deserve what they get. And what they get is, well. This....

Reds1
04-16-2008, 10:13 PM
There's a lot of flaws in the logic of the Reds being a good ballclub just b/c the NL Central is weak.

Yes, the NL Central is weak, however that doesn't make the Reds a good ballclub right now.

Hopefully Jocketty is smacking some sense into Wayne and Bob that we shouldn't build this team to be "good in the NL Central", but rather we should be building this team to be "good in any division in the MLB". Building the Reds to be good in the NL Central might get us into the playoffs down the road, but should that happen, anticipate early exits.

The Reds need to strive to be a good ballclub, rather than a good ballclub based on their division.

My point was there was no team to run away with it. I'm sorry, but I believe they have the talent right now to win the division. We have the best pitching we've had in years. Tell me! What would you do to make this team better. The minor league sysystem is much improved. They went and spent some money. I'm not sure what you expect from year to year, but I don't think this team is as bad as you seemed to think. But it's your opinion and that's why we have these forums.

The fact is you can't win the WS until you make the playoffs and then anything can happen. Look at the Cardinals a few years back. You get Harang, Cueto, Volquez in a short series with Cordero on the back end. Who knows!

Always Red
04-16-2008, 10:33 PM

True, but Coffey has an option (I believe) and Fogg does not.

They'll throw Fogg into the "innings-eater-in-blowouts" spot until they've seen enough to let them cut loose another million. Or, he'll pitch well in that spot and stick.

Buckeye33
04-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Fogg will go to the DL or be DFA, Bray will be called up with Coffey going to AAA. Affeldt then becomes the long man, just like tonight.

The one that might happen is Bruce being called up as well.

Will M
04-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Fogg will go to the DL or be DFA, Bray will be called up with Coffey going to AAA. Affeldt then becomes the long man, just like tonight.

I hope so. Lets get the best players we have on the field.

I started the season never ever wanting to see Majeski again but willing to give Coffey another chance. Now I have seen enough of Coffey.
He may have talent but isn't getting it done in Cincinnati.

Fogg isn't needed since Cueto and Volquez made the rotation.

Benihana
04-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Unfortunately, I went to that abomination of a game last night. Can I say...told ya so?

boognish
04-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Unfortunately, I went to that abomination of a game last night. Can I say...told ya so?

You can, but few needed to hear it from you. :) Unfortunately, those few are involved in running the Cincinnati Reds.

Benihana
04-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Go back and read the first few posts of this thread. I find them humorous after last night.

RedFanAlways1966
04-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Matt Belisle (after 3 innings on Apr. 26)...

* This year: Has pitched in 8 innings and had only 1 inning when a run did not score. 87.5% of the time.

* Since June 3, 2007: 21 starts, 6.28 ERA.

Ouch!

Chip R
04-26-2008, 11:41 PM
I like the kid but it's not happening for him.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-26-2008, 11:58 PM
A shot into the cove from FRED LEWIS?(Sorry if that comment is too gamethready)

He's leaving his fastball out over the plate at least once per at bat and they just aren't missing it.

VR
04-27-2008, 12:18 AM
I see a bit of progress in this one. 6 baserunners in 5 innings, 2 runs a result of the sb.
It's still April, I certainly wouldn't give up on him just yet

Chip R
04-27-2008, 12:20 AM
Giving up 4 runs to the Giants is like giving up 8 to an ordinary team.

VR
04-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Giving up 4 runs to the Giants is like giving up 8 to an ordinary team.

I wonder how Giants fans feel about the Reds getting 7 off them. They are last in the NL in runs, Reds are way up at 13th

Tony Cloninger
04-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Not only that....his again short outing forces the bullpen guy to have to pitch 2 innings.....so Dusty does the DS and guess who get's to go to the bench in favor of Freel.

Spring~Fields
04-27-2008, 12:30 AM
I got a dumb idea, maybe they should let Belisle and Fogg split a games worth of innings. At least the bullpen could catch a break.

WebScorpion
04-27-2008, 01:25 AM
I got a dumb idea, maybe they should let Belisle and Fogg split a games worth of innings. At least the bullpen could catch a break.
Maybe they should send them both down to AAA, bring Justin Lehr up, and save an extra pitching slot for someone who can play at the Major League level.

On a good note: Belisle had another inning where a run didn't score, so that makes 2 out of 13 innings! :rolleyes:

oh yeah, I think that Coffey's burnt too.

GAC
04-27-2008, 07:48 AM
It looked like typical Matt Belisle...Chris Reitsma redux, meaning the kid may have the repertoire of pitches but has no confidence in them (mental). And we're continuing to wait for him to get it? Don't know if he will; but what other alternatives do we have? I don't see them calling up Bailey right away. Sure, Homer is pitching well at AAA; but so did Belisle while he was there.

Hey! I'm more worried about Arroyo! ;)

Spring~Fields
04-27-2008, 09:22 AM
Maybe they should send them both down to AAA, bring Justin Lehr up, and save an extra pitching slot for someone who can play at the Major League level.

Justin Lehr

That’s a thought.

Justin Lehr is a more mature pitcher and has been producing good numbers at Louisville perhaps he could handle the pressures at the major league level.

If Belisle has any options left send him and Coffey down, let them work on their issues down there and then use them later for pot sweeteners in a future trade.

Bring up Lehr and Bray, perhaps they can bring some fresh confidence to the team by their performances.

Fogg couple him with a position player such as a Freel, Hairston, Hopper or Patterson to a team that might find them useful for a season in exchange for PTNL.

Matt700wlw
04-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Belisle, although better last night, still nothing to write home about against a crappy Giants offense.

Couldn't hold a lead if his life depended on it.

Kc61
04-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Right now, leave the starting rotation alone, unless Arroyo needs some DL time. Leave Belisle in there. This is coming from a poster who has not been happy with Belisle's performance.

Now is the time to see if he can be better. Let Bailey and Thompson get more seasoning for the next month or so, until about Memorial Day or even a bit longer. Then see where things are.

But if Belisle doesn't improve in that period, then it's time to go in a different direction.

I would send Coffey out and bring up Bray, however.

GAC
04-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Call up Tom Shearn! :lol:

Chip R
04-27-2008, 10:40 PM
It's no crime if Belisle and/or Coffey aren't good enough to pitch for the Reds. They could probably make a nice living pitching in AAA. If not for the Reds then for another team. Pitching is so scarce, someone will take a flyer on those guys. Either their new team(s) will fix them or they will stay in AAA a few more years till they retire. But I'm afraid they are hurting the Reds and they need to go either to LOU or some other team.

TRF
04-27-2008, 11:01 PM
It's no crime if Belisle and/or Coffey aren't good enough to pitch for the Reds. They could probably make a nice living pitching in AAA. If not for the Reds then for another team. Pitching is so scarce, someone will take a flyer on those guys. Either their new team(s) will fix them or they will stay in AAA a few more years till they retire. But I'm afraid they are hurting the Reds and they need to go either to LOU or some other team.

And be replaced by who? Bailey who may not be ready or Maloney who may not be ready or how about Thompson who despite one of the better starts in the last 20 years for a Reds prospect is certainly not ready.

If Belisle gives the Reds 5+ innings and limits his opponents to 5 runs or less per game, then the added benefit of the Reds NOT rushing the best pitching crop they have had in a decade is a good thing.

RedlegJake
04-27-2008, 11:32 PM
Right now, leave the starting rotation alone, unless Arroyo needs some DL time. Leave Belisle in there. This is coming from a poster who has not been happy with Belisle's performance.

Now is the time to see if he can be better. Let Bailey and Thompson get more seasoning for the next month or so, until about Memorial Day or even a bit longer. Then see where things are.

But if Belisle doesn't improve in that period, then it's time to go in a different direction.

I would send Coffey out and bring up Bray, however.

Voice of reason. I completely agree. The Reds need to KNOW if Belisle is going to work out or not. Bailey needs more time, Thompson is not even close to ready yet.

Chip R
04-27-2008, 11:33 PM
And be replaced by who? Bailey who may not be ready or Maloney who may not be ready or how about Thompson who despite one of the better starts in the last 20 years for a Reds prospect is certainly not ready.

If Belisle gives the Reds 5+ innings and limits his opponents to 5 runs or less per game, then the added benefit of the Reds NOT rushing the best pitching crop they have had in a decade is a good thing.

There are always options.

That's a big if considering he got pounded by the Dodgers and gave up 5 runs to the Giants AAA team the other day.

fearofpopvol1
04-27-2008, 11:44 PM

Yeah, I'm with you here. Coffey could be replaced at the moment, but not Belisle. I'm still convinced Arroyo is injured and if he has a bad start tomorrow night, I think you'll see him put on the DL. Who is going to fill in for Belisle and Arroyo? Fogg? Shearn? Lehr? Bailey? Those are even bigger question marks than Belisle at this moment. Belisle has not looked good thus far, but it's only 2 starts. I think he should be given at least 1 or 2 more starts. I don't think (at this moment) that there is a better option than Belisle in the #5 spot.

Aronchis
04-28-2008, 12:56 AM
I thought Belisle made enough progress on his 2nd start to get another, the string is short. He looks like he needed 2-3 more rehab starts. But the Reds were desperate.

GAC
04-28-2008, 09:40 PM

You give Belisle more time obviously. Two starts doesn't say much; but I'm not impressed with what I've seen also knowing his past history. But if he continues to get struggle then why do we have guys like Shearn in our system? No, he's not the answer, but he faired OK last year when up, and could fair better then Belisle. If nothing else, use a Belisle, Shearn, Affeldt tandem until Bailey shows he is ready.

Matt700wlw
04-28-2008, 09:43 PM
I thought Belisle made enough progress on his 2nd start to get another, the string is short. He looks like he needed 2-3 more rehab starts. But the Reds were desperate.

Maybe next time he can actually HOLD a lead.

2-3 rehab starts would have been 2 or 3 more lights out appearances in AAA before coming up here to get his head kicked in.