PDA

View Full Version : Travis Ford takes the OSU job

Joseph
04-16-2008, 01:02 PM
According to Fox Sports News.

Oklahoma State. Forgot I had to clarify around here. :)

BRM
04-16-2008, 01:03 PM
In other hoops news, Providence hired Keno Davis. Good hires for both schools.

WMR
04-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Congrats Travis!!!!!

Boston Red
04-16-2008, 01:19 PM
I think that's a pretty weak hire for Oklahoma State. Ford may turn out to be very good, but nothing he's done at UMass shows me he's a sure thing. Getting to a couple of NITs with UMass? Big deal.

WMR
04-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Guess the Billy G speculation was just talk and hope after all.

macro
04-16-2008, 02:01 PM
I would have been insulted as a UK fan if Billy G had left for that job, but given that some billionaire has given them a huge chunk of money to play with, I hadn't ruled it out. I agree with Boston Red: it was not that impressive a hire. Ford hasn't accomplished anything spectacular at UMass, and the same could be said of his previous stops.

WVRed
04-16-2008, 02:36 PM
I would have been insulted as a UK fan if Billy G had left for that job, but given that some billionaire has given them a huge chunk of money to play with, I hadn't ruled it out. I agree with Boston Red: it was not that impressive a hire. Ford hasn't accomplished anything spectacular at UMass, and the same could be said of his previous stops.

I would compare this to Arkansas hiring John Pelphrey. Not a proven name or record, but the track record under a certain coach gives the name more credibility.

Highlifeman21
04-16-2008, 02:45 PM
I met Travis Ford last summer when our course hosted a booster golf tournament for UMass hoops.

The way he talked about "his kids" and the UMass program, I would have guessed he'd never leave.

He was a lot shorter that I remember him from his Wildcat days.

BRM
04-16-2008, 02:47 PM
The Ford hiring is a little surprising considering all the money Pickens was rumored to be throwing around. I guess all that money was only good for Self. After losing him, they went "young and cheap".

Unassisted
04-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Oklahoma State. Forgot I had to clarify around here. :)Down here in Big XII country, I'm used to people getting it "wrong." ;)