PDA

View Full Version : Last night's game, Adam Dunn and Walks

BLEEDS
04-16-2008, 02:30 PM
I wasn't able to see the game last night, and didn't want to have to read all 3 billion pages of the GameThread, SOOoo:

Can anyone tell me, were the Cubs TOTALLY pitching around Dunn to get to EE and others, or was he just resting the bat on his shoulder and "not being aggressive" like Dusty doesn't wants all his OBP guys to do?

Thanks!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Nasty_Boy
04-16-2008, 02:34 PM
He had two 5 pitch walks... Dempster wanted nothing to do with him and his strikeout against Marmol came on a very questionable call, but the fastballs Marmol threw him were the only ones over the plate all night and he fouled them off.

BLEEDS
04-16-2008, 02:57 PM
He had two 5 pitch walks... Dempster wanted nothing to do with him and his strikeout against Marmol came on a very questionable call, but the fastballs Marmol threw him were the only ones over the plate all night and he fouled them off.

That's what I figured. As Harry Carey used to say "That guy just CRUSHES Cubs pitching".

What a waste Dunn continues to be in the #5 Slot. Until people decide they want to pitch to Dunn instead of EE, it's going to continue. He could get 200 walks... He's got 16 on the year, 10 in the last WEEK!

Meanwhile, Griffey's still manning the #3 spot.
At least BP is taking a few walks - of course almost half ot those were when Dunn WASN'T behind him...

What a waste of talented pitching thus far this year. Who'd have thought we'd be saying that to start the year!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

OesterPoster
04-16-2008, 03:48 PM
IIRC, Dunn swung at a 1st pitch fastball right over the plate, about thigh-high against Marmol. He fouled it straight back, when he would normally crush that ball. His timing is off by a hair.

Nasty_Boy
04-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Yes, against Marmol he fouled off a 95 mph heater... I think he fouled off 2-3, but the strike 3 call was bogus.

BigJohn
04-16-2008, 04:55 PM
BS, it was too good of a pitch to take with 2 strikes!

bgwilly31
04-16-2008, 05:08 PM
, but the strike 3 call was bogus.

EE is behind DUNN> EE has half the power of dunn and is batting less than .186. Until that changes DUNN will continue to get pitched around. However DUNN is batting .165. Dunn comes off to me like he is just a hair away from spraying Hits and homers across the field. EE doesnt give me that vibe.

As for the S.O he had. The call was close. I wouldnt venture to say it was bogus like the gentleman above. It was a great pitch.

Nasty_Boy
04-16-2008, 10:06 PM
BS, it was too good of a pitch to take with 2 strikes!

Ok, so he swings at this borderline strike and grounds out to 2nd. Either way, it was an out but with nobody on you take that pitch and hope for a walk.

Nasty_Boy
04-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Imagine that... the game is out of question so Dunn gets pitches to hit.

BLEEDS
04-17-2008, 07:25 AM
Man. We need to move him UP in the lineup.

I see that CPat it now batting .220. Griff is struggling. Votto is the leading hitter on the team, and he's batting 7th.

Votto
Kepp
Dunn
BP
Griff
EE
Catcher
Pitcher
CPat - it's like a "Second" leadoff hitter, right?!?!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BigJohn
04-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Ok, so he swings at this borderline strike and grounds out to 2nd. Either way, it was an out but with nobody on you take that pitch and hope for a walk.

or foul it off, next pitch the guy hangs one and he knocks it in the street!

I hate called 3rd strikes!

eastkyred
04-17-2008, 10:11 AM
I thought it was completely predictable that Dunn would homer in a 10-1 game. A large percent of his hits and homers come in these situations, whatever the reason.

RedLegsToday
04-17-2008, 10:14 AM
I thought it was completely predictable that Dunn would homer in a 10-1 game. A large percent of his hits and homers come in these situations, whatever the reason.

I'm calling BS on this one. I looked that info up last year on baseball-reference.com's Play Index and something like 90% of Dunn's homeruns have come with the game within 3-4 runs either way. I'll see if I can find it.

RedLegsToday
04-17-2008, 10:34 AM
out of Adam's 240 career homeruns, a whopping 11 have come with the Reds down more than 4 runs and in the 7th inning or later. In contrast, from the 7th inning on, he's had 6 game-ending homeruns, which I think alone negate the 11 that have come in "hopeless causes", plus 22 go ahead and 4 tying homeruns. And, before you say that he hits tons of homeruns with the game out of hand in the Reds favor, he's hit 5, yes, 5 homeruns that have come in the 7th inning or later with the Reds ahead by 4 or more runs.

eastkyred
04-17-2008, 11:02 AM
out of Adam's 240 career homeruns, a whopping 11 have come with the Reds down more than 4 runs and in the 7th inning or later. In contrast, from the 7th inning on, he's had 6 game-ending homeruns, which I think alone negate the 11 that have come in "hopeless causes", plus 22 go ahead and 4 tying homeruns. And, before you say that he hits tons of homeruns with the game out of hand in the Reds favor, he's hit 5, yes, 5 homeruns that have come in the 7th inning or later with the Reds ahead by 4 or more runs.

so in other words, in 240 career homeruns he's hit 32 that had significant meaning. In seven seasons thats about 4 and a half per year. the 5 hr that have come 7th inning or later with the reds ahead by 4 or more runs were probably the only 5 games in Dunn's career that the reds were ahead by 4 or more runs after the 7th inning.

RedLegsToday
04-17-2008, 11:14 AM
well, I guess he's only had 32 of significant meaning if a homerun is only significant if it is hit in the 7th inning or later. He's Had 6 game enders, and 100 homeruns that have given the Reds the lead or tied the game at any point of the game. My point is that people make the assumption that Dunn hits a lot of "meaningless" homeruns and it is just not true.

bgwilly31
04-17-2008, 11:49 AM
so in other words, in 240 career homeruns he's hit 32 that had significant meaning. In seven seasons thats about 4 and a half per year. the 5 hr that have come 7th inning or later with the reds ahead by 4 or more runs were probably the only 5 games in Dunn's career that the reds were ahead by 4 or more runs after the 7th inning.

hrmmmm.... Your not getting it.

What do you think the rest of the Hr's are? :rolleyes:

Nasty_Boy
04-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Isn't Dunn 2nd to Big Papi in Walk-off HRs the over the last few seasons? People just love to hate Adam Dunn... For whatever reason people hate a guy that produces, plays every game, and a product of the farm system.

hebroncougar
04-17-2008, 12:26 PM

Yep, the other 208 were meaningless. It's all his fault too. Get a grip.

BigJohn
04-17-2008, 12:31 PM
I still hate seeing him take strike 3. I think he is getting better but he should be swinging the bat with 2 strikes!

Nasty_Boy
04-17-2008, 12:40 PM
What was the difference on him taking strike 3 and Phillips and Edwin swinging at strike 3? Nothing, it was still an out.

BigJohn
04-17-2008, 01:45 PM
He at least has a pretty good chance of hitting a home run every time he swings. He has no chance of hitting a HR if he takes strike 3. I am no baseball genius but I would rather have my 13 million dollar home run hitter swinging at strike 3. JMHO

Nasty_Boy
04-17-2008, 02:00 PM
He at least has a pretty good chance of hitting a home run every time he swings. He has no chance of hitting a HR if he takes strike 3. I am no baseball genius but I would rather have my 13 million dollar home run hitter swinging at strike 3. JMHO

On a pitch that had been called a ball all night (I know you think it was too close) that is not a situation where Dunn could do much with that pitch. An out is an out, a K is a K... I only want him swinging there (at that pitch) if contact means a run.

BigJohn
04-17-2008, 02:11 PM
If he fouls it off he gets another chance, if he takes it he sits down. That is not a tough concept!

goreds2
04-17-2008, 02:13 PM
I just heard on the "Dusty Show" that Dunn is batting 4th today. :thumbup:

Sean_CaseyRules
04-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Its hard to judge some pitches, and from what I'm hearing it was a borderline call, so maybe done was on the side of the line that says "Man, there is no way this is a strike", Whil the umpire is on the otherside of the line. But its in the past, and I bet next time a pitch is that close, Dunn hacks at it, maybe he hits it, maybe he doesn't. But he's not worthless, he knows how to hit, he didn't make to the Majors, and stay here, on just some "good luck" or any crap like that.

And BTW, I absolutely LOVE the stats you just brought up about his "meaningless" home runs. It just goes to show guys LOVE to HATE this guy.

BLEEDS
04-17-2008, 02:51 PM
I just heard on the "Dusty Show" that Dunn is batting 4th today. :thumbup:

OH MY GOSH!!! Back-to-Back Lefties?!?!? Surely the sky is falling....

OH, but I see we have Ryan "scrappy" McFarney batting 2nd with his .208 average, seemingly because he is FAST.

Votto meanwhile is hitting 7th, where he can bat after EE can't get on...

and the Red Hot BAKO, he of the .364 average bats eighth.

At least Kepp is batting 5th, so he should help Dunner see some better pitches.

One step at a time, Dusty; one step at a time...

PEACE

-BLEEDS