PDA

View Full Version : On the positive side

klw
04-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Cubs have only scored in two innings tonight.
Votto hitting .333
Hopper hitting over .350
Reds are getting lots of baserunners

klw
04-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Cubs have only scored in two innings tonight.

okay only 3 innings

Tommyjohn25
04-16-2008, 10:29 PM
And Fogg likely just made his last start as a Red.

OnBaseMachine
04-16-2008, 10:41 PM

I sure hope.

Cedric
04-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Dunn is off the interstate.
Votto is 2-3 with his first two doubles.
Edwin collects 2 more knocks.

Screwball
04-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Volquez pitches tomorrow. :beerme:

RedEye
04-16-2008, 10:49 PM
Bailey and Belisle are looking more and more ready to play roles in turning this thing around.

*BaseClogger*
04-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Jeff Keppinger is the man... :thumbup:

KronoRed
04-17-2008, 12:33 AM

Perhaps, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds give him a few more

reds44
04-17-2008, 12:34 AM
There are upgrades in AAA over what we have now.

There are positives on this team, but changes need to be made.

OnBaseMachine
04-17-2008, 02:22 AM
Volquez pitches tomorrow. :beerme:

Yep. I'm looking forward to that. Hopefully he pitches a great game and earns his second win as a Reds and sends this team back home with a one game winning streak. A win tomorrow would be huge...that would put us two games under .500 at 7-9 with Bronson Arroyo, Johnny Cueto, and Aaron Harang going against Milwaukee at home. Win two of three and they're 9-10 with the Dodgers and Astros coming in for two short two game series. Win three of four there and they're 12-11 going back on the road. I still like this team chances of competing. I'm not going to give up hope after a rough five stretch.

cincyinco
04-17-2008, 04:22 AM
Yep. I'm looking forward to that. Hopefully he pitches a great game and earns his second win as a Reds and sends this team back home with a one game winning streak. A win tomorrow would be huge...that would put us two games under .500 at 7-9 with Bronson Arroyo, Johnny Cueto, and Aaron Harang going against Milwaukee at home. Win two of three and they're 9-10 with the Dodgers and Astros coming in for two short two game series. Win three of four there and they're 12-11 going back on the road. I still like this team chances of competing. I'm not going to give up hope after a rough five stretch.

Are you sure? You seemed to be having a rough time dealing with their play in the game theads. ;)

jojo
04-17-2008, 05:14 AM
The first 15 games have been an unmitigated disaster as the Reds are already 5 games back. The positives are that Dunn and EE are better than their current level of production. Arroyo has pitched much better than his ERA suggests. The downside....Cueto and Volquez have been much better than we should hope and of course, the downside where the offense has several who should be expected to regress from last season.

mth123
04-17-2008, 07:07 AM
The first 15 games have been an unmitigated disaster as the Reds are already 5 games back. The positives are that Dunn and EE are better than their current level of production. Arroyo has pitched much better than his ERA suggests. The downside....Cueto and Volquez have been much better than we should hope and of course, the downside where the offense has several who should be expected to regress from last season.

The Reds are only 2.5 games back of Milwaukee and the Brewers are on a 92 win pace. I'd say that is the pace the Reds should be looking at right now since it is the realstic pace for a Division Winner. The Cubs are still the favorites IMO but they are on a 104 win pace at the moment with the Reds 3.5 games back. The Cardinals are in front 5 games ahead of the rest, but they still look like a 90 loss team to me, so the games behind them is of little concern IMO. The Cards are only a 3 start set of bad Kyle showing up from a serious fall and we all know its going to happen.

The team need not be concerned with games behind at this point unless one of the favorites runs and hides. Right the ship and let the season play out. Its a long season. Fixing problems is more important than the standings now. Keep the pitching in order, find a reasonable RH bat for the middle of the order against LH Pitching and let guys get going. This is still a team that should win something around 85 games and a few improvements and some breaks (like health) can be the difference in a play-off versus non-play-off year. I'm still thinking non-play-off year, but this team is capable of playing above .500 ball as is IMO.

RedFanAlways1966
04-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Perhaps, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds give him a few more

Dumatrait made 6 starts last year. Fogg is only half way there.

Dumatrait ended up with an ERA of 15.00 as a starter. Fogg "only" has a 13.09 ERA.

:runawaycr

Cyclone792
04-17-2008, 08:08 AM
Dumatrait made 6 starts last year. Fogg is only half way there.

Dumatrait ended up with an ERA of 15.00 as a starter. Fogg "only" has a 13.09 ERA.

:runawaycr

If Dusty Baker is going to have some value over the previous managers we've seen in the dugout, then one area where I expect to see it is not hanging with bad players who do what they do best.

FSN had the cameras on Dusty in the dugout a few times last night, and near the end of the game he was just sitting there looking as depressed as I've ever seen a person look. My hope is he's no longer tolerant of Fogg getting his brains beat in, and with Belisle ready I'm hoping Dusty speaks up and tells the FO to get Fogg the hell out of here.

Fogg's next scheduled start is Monday night at home against the Dodgers. Belisle will be on five days rest, and he looks ready to go. Baker needs to make the necessary move to replace Fogg with Belisle.

Funny thing is I've actually been considering attending Monday night's game. But I do know this: if Josh Fogg starts Monday night, I guarantee that I will not waste my time by going down there Monday night. I have better things to do than waste my time and money on watching Josh Fogg pitch.

Falls City Beer
04-17-2008, 08:14 AM
I got a clean bill of health at the doctor's office yesterday.

Redhook
04-17-2008, 08:28 AM

My new puppy did as well.

The team is in a little funk, but I believe it'll turn around. I'm still positive. I like the fact we have some decent options for a change in AAA for the pitching staff. Fogg must go. Belisle up. And hopefully the hitter's will start hitting.

Always Red
04-17-2008, 08:35 AM
all fogg eventually lifts...

Tommyjohn25
04-17-2008, 08:40 AM

And that's the most important bill of all. :p:

REDREAD
04-17-2008, 08:49 AM
If Dusty Baker is going to have some value over the previous managers we've seen in the dugout, then one area where I expect to see it is not hanging with bad players who do what they do best.

The advantage this year is that the Reds have some pitching depth.
They don't have to trot Fogg out there with Belisle ready to go.
In years past, they've had to trot out Dumartiat and all those other losers simply because they ran out of bodies.

Fogg is much worse than I suspected he'd be. I suppose I could tolerate one more start from him, if Dusty feels he needs more than 3 starts, but if he stinks up the 4th start, there is something seriously wrong.

One the bright side, on the radio last night they've said Lily has lost a lot of velocity. Brantley's guess was a shoulder injury. So, we might actually be able to hit Lily tonight. Not talking pleasure in Lily's possible injury, just saying that we might actually score some runs vs a LH pitcher tonight.

Raisor
04-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Positive

Dunn's OPS is up over 800 now.

OnBaseMachine
04-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Positive

Dunn's OPS is up over 800 now.

As is Joey Votto's.

OnBaseMachine
04-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Are you sure? You seemed to be having a rough time dealing with their play in the game theads. ;)

Outside of game threads I am typically one of the most positive Reds fans on this board. :)

BRM
04-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Outside of game threads I am typically one of the most positive Reds fans on this board. :)

Chat was very positive last night. And hilarious.

Falls City Beer
04-17-2008, 11:04 AM

Yeah, me too. :cool:

nate
04-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Yeah, me too. :cool:

Small wonder!

OnBaseMachine
04-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Chat was very positive last night. And hilarious.

Yes indeed it was. I highly recommend it. The mood is much more relaxed in chat...and you won't believe what Kitty showed us. ;)

KronoRed
04-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Yes indeed it was. I highly recommend it. The mood is much more relaxed in chat...and you won't believe what Kitty showed us. ;)

It's not polite to stare!! :eek:

pedro
04-17-2008, 05:04 PM
I'd just like to take this opportunity to mention that Brandon Phillips got the day off and a certain someone didn't serve as his replacement.

Yes Virginia, there really is a Santa Claus.

*BaseClogger*
04-17-2008, 05:08 PM
I'd just like to take this opportunity to mention that Brandon Phillips got the day off and a certain someone didn't serve as his replacement.

But of all the days to give him a day off, against a lefty!? The WGN guys said he is 0 for 13 lifetime against Ted Lilly, but that ain't much of an explanation if Ryan Freel is 0 for 7 lifetime against him...

Cedric
04-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Freel is 2-5 and had a good game. Looks like it worked.

*BaseClogger*
04-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Freel is 2-5 and had a good game. Looks like it worked.

I was referring specifically to facing Lilly. Maybe we should just let him play there everyday? :confused:

KronoRed
04-18-2008, 01:19 AM

I like the easter bunny better

WVRedsFan
04-18-2008, 01:40 AM
I was referring specifically to facing Lilly. Maybe we should just let him play there everyday? :confused:

Oh-my-God.

Surely, you've been drinking (or worse). :)

redsmetz
04-18-2008, 07:45 AM
Here's a plus that occurred to me that I think is born out in the facts. I'm liking how Dusty's using this pitching staff overall. Even in this last week's poor showing, he's spread the work load out among pitchers. Even Volquez's 112 pitch effort was after an extra day off and coming off of a 75 pitch performance.

Starting with the 1st Pittsburgh game:

Volquez (75 pitches, 6 innings), Burton 2 IP, Weathers 1 IP
Arroyo 5 IP, Lincoln 2 IP, Coffey 0.2 IP, Affeldt 0.1 IP
Cueto 6 IP, Coffey 1 IP, Cordero 1 IP

Harang 6 IP, Burton 0.2 IP, Affeldt 0.2 IP, Coffey 0.2 IP
Fogg 2 IP, Lincoln 1 IP, Affeldt 2 IP, Weathers 1 IP, Mercker 1 IP, Cordero 1 IP
Volquez 5 IP, Burton 2 IP, Weathers 1 IP, Coffey 1 IP

klw
04-18-2008, 09:40 AM
None of the Reds aged by 2 years today- always a plus.

RedsManRick
04-18-2008, 10:16 AM
just saved a bunch of money on my car insur.... can't believe nobody went down that road yet.

We're only 4.0 games out with 146 games to play. Plenty of time!

RedlegJake
04-18-2008, 11:14 AM
On the positive side:

7-9 despite playing some of the worst baseball I've seen from the Reds in a long time. No offense, terrible defense, spotty pitching. Still, close to .500. This whole month should be called April Fools month. Teams can look terrific or terrible and end up exactly the opposite when October arrives.

Joey Votto. He's started hitting. Dusty has just told Hatte that Joey is da man at first from now on.

KGJ. 596 and counting. That swing still looks so sweeeeet.

Paul Bako. See April Fools month above. Still, what a great start for Paul. Decent D, and his bat belies anything his stat sheet has to say. This month anyway.

Jeff Keppinger. Professional hitter. Nuff said.

Cueto and Volquez. Wow!

Harang and Cordero. Slam and Dunk.

All over the minors. Bruce. Bailey. Frazier. Waring. Francisco. Thompson. Roenicke. Stubbs. Soto. On and on.

Watching CP go to the wall and snag a drive. That's a Reds outfielder. He plays defense. Really good defense. Amazing.

WVRedsFan
04-18-2008, 11:32 AM
On the positive side:

7-9 despite playing some of the worst baseball I've seen from the Reds in a long time. No offense, terrible defense, spotty pitching. Still, close to .500. This whole month should be called April Fools month. Teams can look terrific or terrible and end up exactly the opposite when October arrives.

There is so much to be optimistic about when looking at the future. I can't imagine playing worse and still being 7-9. There are some glaring defencies, but I imagine, and I have complete confidence in this, that Dusty wil push to correct those.