PDA

View Full Version : Players/lineup

bucknutdet
04-17-2008, 11:29 AM
What type of hitter is Bruce?? Is he a leadoff type hitter, could he hit 2nd??
What about a lineup with Keppinger or Bruce hitting 1st or 2nd, Dunn hitting third, Phillips 4th, Griffey 5th, Votto 6th, EE 7th, catcher 8th..

Don't even need Bruce but could use whomever is up now in one of those top two spots. Heck let Kepp leadoff and get on base, then bunt him over with one of those hacks who've been leading off (Freel, Hopper, Patterson), then let the rest of the lineup hit him in?

Dunn would have to see more pitches with Phillips and Griffey behind him. Is Votto good enough to protect the 5 hole?

Something has to be done b/c this offense right now is flat out terrible.

EddieMilner
04-17-2008, 11:39 AM
What type of hitter is Bruce?? Is he a leadoff type hitter, could he hit 2nd??
What about a lineup with Keppinger or Bruce hitting 1st or 2nd, Dunn hitting third, Phillips 4th, Griffey 5th, Votto 6th, EE 7th, catcher 8th..

Don't even need Bruce but could use whomever is up now in one of those top two spots. Heck let Kepp leadoff and get on base, then bunt him over with one of those hacks who've been leading off (Freel, Hopper, Patterson), then let the rest of the lineup hit him in?

Dunn would have to see more pitches with Phillips and Griffey behind him. Is Votto good enough to protect the 5 hole?

Something has to be done b/c this offense right now is flat out terrible.

My understanding is the Bruce is projected to be a #3 batter (someday).

My thoughts on how the organization can fix the lineup is very dependent on Stubbs being able to continue with his progress and move into the lead off role (where he has been miserable whenever it has been tried). His ability to take a walk, and (hopefully) ability to hit for average as well (small sample size I know) added to his speed would be a perfect way to set up this lineup.

Obviously my solution, if everything goes right (which is hardly likely), would happen in 2010. That is a ways off.

For the short term, there isn't much we can do until Votto and EE turns it on. Hopefully they have started it as of last night. With those two hitting well, my lineup would be (with the players we have today):
1. Keppinger
2. Votto
3. Dunn
4. Griffey
5. Phillips
6. EE
7. Patterson
8. Catcher
9. Pitcher

That's my lineup (only if Votto and EE starts hitting like we think he can). As you can see I have no issues batting 3 lefties in a row.

bucknutdet
04-17-2008, 11:49 AM
I would use Phillips at 4 just to show Griffey that I'm not afraid to bump him down if he's not going to play hard. He should be a good enough hitter by now to get some production with or w/out lineup protection. You'd think. I do like Keppinger hitting first as you know he's likely to get on base and smart enough to make good baserunning decisions.

Personally I am not a fan of hitting Dunn 2nd. 3 lefties in a row isn't exactly my favorite scenario, but it's not the end of the world, but I'd try to avoid it.