PDA

View Full Version : Guess who's older than he says he is.....

westofyou
04-17-2008, 01:49 PM
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/ballz/2008/04/this_just_in_miguel_tejada_is.php

Miguel Tejada: Hey, Maybe I Should Finally Give You My Real Age
Thu Apr 17, 2008 at 11:16:45 AM

Okay, just when I think I've heard it all, I hear something new.

Miguel Tejada told the Astros today that he's been lying about his age, and that he's actually 33, not 31. And he's telling the Astros this himself because he didn't want them to find it out from someone else.

Like someone else who? The Feds? Because they're investigating him for perjury?

Look, it's pretty common for players from the Dominican Republic to lie about their age and to say they're younger than they actually are. I don't think anybody out there really knows the true age of Julio Franco for example. And normally, this wouldn't be that big of deal. But Tejada's under investigation for lying to the Feds, and he's caught up in the baseball steroids controversy, so let's just say that this hit to credibility is probably just a little something he couldn't afford.

But since Miguel's in a truthful mood, perhaps he should be telling the Astros what was really in those B12 shots before the Feds decide to tell the Astros. -- John Royal

Chip R
04-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Isn't there some kind of new rule about suspending players who lied about their age or does that only apply to prospects?

westofyou
04-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Isn't there some kind of new rule about suspending players who lied about their age or does that only apply to prospects?

Yes.

They have to moderate the Redszone game threads

lollipopcurve
04-17-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm pretty sure both Volquez and Cueto are older than their stated ages. We know Bailey isn't.

OnBaseMachine
04-17-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm pretty sure both Volquez and Cueto are older than their stated ages. We know Bailey isn't.

Volquez has already went through age gate. It turns out he was only like a year older, if that. Cueto looks like he is 15 years old, so I doubt he's any older than his listed age.

Chip R
04-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Yes.

They have to moderate the Redszone game threads

Not anymore. ;)

lollipopcurve
04-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Volquez has already went through age gate. It turns out he was only like a year older, if that. Cueto looks like he is 15 years old, so I doubt he's any older than his listed age.

Didn't know that about Volquez. I hope you're right about Cueto -- but he looks more 25 than 15.

nate
04-17-2008, 02:43 PM
I immediately thought "Albert Pujols."

flyer85
04-17-2008, 02:44 PM
The incorrect age issues was fixed 5-6 years ago for almost everyone except for established major leaguers who already had their visas. Which applies to guys like Tejada, Pujols, etc. Wonder what his real name is. This all came up after 9-11 when closer to inspection was given to visas and a bunch of Dominican players got caught up in the fact that they couldn't produce the proper documentation without using their real birth certificates ... thus their true identity and age came out.

OnBaseMachine
04-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Didn't know that about Volquez. I hope you're right about Cueto -- but he looks more 25 than 15.

Yep. Volquez was originally signed by the Rangers in 2001 out of the DR under the name of Julio Reyes. After baseball's visa crackdown, it was discovered his actual name was Edison Volquez and he was 15 1/2 months older than originally thought. Sometime in late 2006 or early 2007 he informed the Rangers that his name had an "n" in it, so now it's Edinson.

I disagree with ya on Cueto. I think he's got a baby face. I swear I think he looks 15 in some photographs.

OnBaseMachine
04-17-2008, 02:47 PM
The incorrect age issues was fixed 5-6 years ago for almost everyone except for established major leaguers who already had their visas. Which applies to guys like Tejada, Pujols, etc. Wonder what his real name is. This all came up after 9-11 when closer to inspection was given to visas and a bunch of Dominican players got caught up in the fact that they couldn't produce the proper documentation without using their real birth certificates ... thus their true identity and age came out.

Yep. Pujols will be the next one caught. I'm guessing he's 30 or 31 years old.

Raisor
04-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Personally, if I was a club that signed one of these guys, I'd sue.

flyer85
04-17-2008, 02:55 PM
per rotoworld about Tejada

The interesting thing is that all his legal papers in the United States reflect his actual birthday. It's doubtful that any team that's thought about acquiring him over the years is particularly surprised by this news.

flyer85
04-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Yep. Pujols will be the next one caught. I'm guessing he's 30 or 31 years old.Albert came to the US in the 90s with his family(became a US citizen in 2007). He may be a couple of years older than his stated age but I would be surprised if he is "discovered" at this point.

Highlifeman21
04-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Didn't Furcal gain 4 years of age when the Latin Players age shakedown happened a couple years back?

REDREAD
04-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Didn't Furcal gain 4 years of age when the Latin Players age shakedown happened a couple years back?

Yeah. To me, this was the least surprising one. Supposedly he was 18 or something absurd like that as a rookie. It just seemed hard to believe at the time that he was only 18 or whatever. Too good to be true.

Funny thing is, I think Furcal got busted for underage drinking when he was really "of age" :lol: I don't know all the details, but I remember reading in the paper that he was sited for it. I don't think he told his real age then..

vaticanplum
04-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Yep. Volquez was originally signed by the Rangers in 2001 out of the DR under the name of Julio Reyes. After baseball's visa crackdown, it was discovered his actual name was Edison Volquez and he was 15 1/2 months older than originally thought. Sometime in late 2006 or early 2007 he informed the Rangers that his name had an "n" in it, so now it's Edinson.

I disagree with ya on Cueto. I think he's got a baby face. I swear I think he looks 15 in some photographs.

I'm not entirely convinced that Cueto's hit puberty yet.

Tommyjohn25
04-17-2008, 08:52 PM
I'm not entirely convinced that Cueto's hit puberty yet.

Wow. If that's true, just think how hard he'll throw when he does!

OldRightHander
04-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Not anymore. ;)

Now they're just forced to go back and read some of them.

Chip R
04-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Now they're just forced to go back and read some of them.

The horror. The horror.

http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/kurtz%20head.jpg

MWM
04-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Was anyone else a littel disgusted with how they tricked Tejada into an interview only to drop that bomb on him without him being prepared. Not that i condone lying about your age, but I thought that type of hatchet job was totally bush league. Unfrotunately, it was very ESPN-like.

lollipopcurve
04-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Was anyone else a littel disgusted with how they tricked Tejada into an interview only to drop that bomb on him without him being prepared. Not that i condone lying about your age, but I thought that type of hatchet job was totally bush league. Unfrotunately, it was very ESPN-like.

I saw the teaser then changed the channel, wouldn't watch it -- pure media self-indulgence on the part of ESPN, as to be expected.

klw
04-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Both Cueto and Volquez are a year older than they were last season at this time.

George Anderson
04-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Both Cueto and Volquez are a year older than they were last season at this time.

I'm not sure but I think they will be a year older this time next year also.

nate
04-18-2008, 11:38 AM
I'm not sure but I think they will be a year older this time next year also.

It's more widespread than we originally thought!

Chip R
04-18-2008, 11:46 AM

It's like they're aging right in front of our eyes!

*BaseClogger*
04-18-2008, 12:25 PM

Must have been another one of those mandates by DanO...

MikeS21
04-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Kind of makes you wonder how old Mario Soto "really" was when he pitched for the Reds?

OnBaseMachine
04-18-2008, 02:39 PM

I just saw it. That was an embarrassment for ESPN, but it doesn't surprise me. Totally bush league. Like you said, I don't condone lying about your age but I actually felt sorry for Tejada there. That was complete BS. For those of you who haven't seen it, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr09NXayz5k&eurl=http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/2008/04/busted-how-teja.html

Heath
04-18-2008, 02:52 PM

Man, Julio Franco's pissed.

PuffyPig
04-18-2008, 04:18 PM
I just saw it. That was an embarrassment for ESPN, but it doesn't surprise me. Totally bush league. Like you said, I don't condone lying about your age but I actually felt sorry for Tejada there. That was complete BS. For those of you who haven't seen it, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr09NXayz5k&eurl=http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/2008/04/busted-how-teja.html

I agree.

That was one of the worse pieces of jounalism I have ever seen.

The interviwer acted like he was trying to get an admission of murder from a cornered witness in the box.

Maybe his next case will to to get my mother to admit she really isn't 39.

RedlegJake
04-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Ambush journalism has become de rigueur. The only wonder to me is why more athletes don't go the Carlton route.

RedsManRick
04-18-2008, 04:24 PM
What journalistic purpose does this serve? You guys aren't lawyers, aren't the judge. Nothing better than the journalists making themselves the story... ESPN is the antitheses of what good sports journalism should be.

OldRightHander
04-18-2008, 05:27 PM
ESPN ........ good sports journalism

There is absolutely no connection between the two.