PDA

View Full Version : Fay on possible changes coming up

Reds Fanatic
04-17-2008, 02:12 PM
This is from John Fay's blog today:

Interesting Dusty did not even know they were signing Fogg.

Dusty Baker talked a little bit about possible changes and then allowed this:

“It’s a very interesting situation,” Baker said.

How so?

"It's just interesting – the whole thing."

Here's some things I think you'll see:

--Josh Fogg will be out of the rotation. I don't know if he'll be off the team, but who starts is Baker's call. He's not big on Fogg. I'm told, in fact, that he didn't know the Reds were signing Foog until after the fact.

--Jerry Hairston Jr. or Jolbert Cabrera will be up here shortly. It's believed Hairston has an out in his contract after a month. He's hittting .429 with two home runs and 10 RBI with a .467 on-base and .785 slugging.

The Reds made no move Thursday.

“I’ve got to get home and talk to Wayne (Krivsky) first,” Baker said. “Wayne’s in Louisville now. We’ll talk on the phone or as soon as we get back.”

It was noted that starting pitchers and hitters are doing well in the minors. David Ross and Matt Belisle are due to come off the DL as well.

“Something’s got to shake out," Baker said. "And you’ve got some guys doing well down there. Guys we liked in spring training.”

reds44
04-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Tonight's lineup in AAA is going to be interesting.

Yes I will jump to conclusions when I see it.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Three weeks of Jerry Hairston tearing up AAA doesn't change what he is and that is bad. He's a slightly better version (offensively) of Juan Castro.

So unless, he's replacing Juan Castro I'm not bursting with fruit flavor at the thought of his call up.

KronoRed
04-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Yep AAA right now has a lot of AAAA players who have no buisness getting a call up.

Falls City Beer
04-17-2008, 03:03 PM
I would absolutely not throw out Fogg just yet. Not with Volquez's volatility. He's very likely to be out of the rotation by the middle of May with his control problems. There's just no stability in this rotation; need as many warm bodies as possible.

SMcGavin
04-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Not with Volquez's volatility. He's very likely to be out of the rotation by the middle of May with his control problems.

You can't possibly believe that.

TOBTTReds
04-17-2008, 03:08 PM

you dont know him then.

Falls City Beer
04-17-2008, 03:10 PM

Absolutely. Volquez has a storied history of serious, serious control problems.

RedEye
04-17-2008, 03:16 PM

I agree with FCB here (however bad this news might be for my fantasy team). While I like Volquez and his upside a great deal, he also has a well-established downside.

Now, whether the Reds keep Fogg around as a fallback option is another story. I actually think I'd rather see Homer, Lehr, or Thompson called up rather than watching a human batting tee every five days. But that's just me.

SMcGavin
04-17-2008, 03:16 PM

OK. Since it's "very likely" he'll be gone, what kind of wager do you want to put on him being in the Reds rotation on May 15?

Edited: I'm not denying that Volquez can be wild, I just get sick of the doom and gloom hyperbole like saying a guy with a ERA under 2.00 is very likely not to be in the rotation in a month.

Falls City Beer
04-17-2008, 03:20 PM
OK. Since it's "very likely" he'll be gone, what kind of wager do you want to put on him being in the Reds rotation on May 15?

I'm not going to wager because I think the team will go with the upside, results be darned, for as long as possible. I should rephrase my last post--it would not be "unlikely," in my mind.

pedro
04-17-2008, 03:26 PM
I think FCB is correct in that Volquez will have to exhibit better control to stay in the rotation all year but I don't think that has any bearing on Josh Fogg. I think Fogg will and should be gone soon.

Falls City Beer
04-17-2008, 03:29 PM
I think FCB is correct in that Volquez will have to exhibit better control to stay in the rotation all year but I don't think that has any bearing on Josh Fogg. I think Fogg will and should be gone soon.

Gotta replace Volquez with someone.

pedro
04-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Gotta replace Volquez with someone.

I'd worry about that when the time came. Belisle and Bailey and possibly Maloney are all possibilities.

I don't think Fogg has much value from the bullpen so I'm not convinced he needs to be kept around. Say what you want about Volquez's struggles but they are minor compared to those of Fogg.

fearofpopvol1
04-17-2008, 03:40 PM
I think Belisle gets the next start and Fogg moves to long relief, Coffey is sent down.

OnBaseMachine
04-17-2008, 03:55 PM
I think I'm going to give Volquez more than three starts (three decent starts btw) before I give up on him.

His control was off a little last time out, and today it's been bad but he's also been squeezed a bunch today.

WVRedsFan
04-17-2008, 04:00 PM
--Josh Fogg will be out of the rotation. I don't know if he'll be off the team, but who starts is Baker's call. He's not big on Fogg. I'm told, in fact, that he didn't know the Reds were signing Foog until after the fact.

I find this to be almost unbelievable. Can it be that Wayne doesn't consult with Dusty on who the personnel is? Or is that SOP in the majors?

WVRedsFan
04-17-2008, 04:01 PM
I think I'm going to give Volquez more than three starts (three decent starts btw) before I give up on him.

His control was off a little last time out, and today it's been bad but he's also been squeezed a bunch today.

A bunch? I'd say. Any other veteran pitcher gets those strikes. I don't know why umpires do this--just setting up these youngsters for failure.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-17-2008, 04:21 PM
I'd worry about that when the time came. Belisle and Bailey and possibly Maloney are all possibilities.

And Tom Shearn as well.

OnBaseMachine
04-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Reinforcements likely on their way
After rough road trip, roster moves appear inevitable for Reds
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- You can take it to the bank that Reds manager Dusty Baker and general manager Wayne Krivsky will be huddling up after the 10-day road trip ends Thursday.

Potential roster moves will most certainly be on the agenda, especially after such a rough journey.

"We'll either talk on the phone or as soon as I get back," Baker said.

Lots of players are performing well early in the season at Triple-A Louisville. As it so happens, Krivsky has been scouting in Louisville all week.

Calling up a starting pitcher is a possibility after Josh Fogg's two-inning, nine-run performance in Wednesday's loss. Matt Belisle has pitched well during a rehab assignment for a sore forearm and appears ready to come off the disabled list. Belisle is 3-0 with a 1.09 ERA in three Minor League starts.

Homer Bailey has a 1.42 ERA in three starts, and Justin Lehr is the International League's reigning pitcher of the week with a 0.60 ERA in his two starts. Fogg, whose next turn in the Reds' rotation comes up Monday vs. the Dodgers, isn't the only pitcher struggling. Reliever Todd Coffey has an 8.00 ERA through eight appearances.

The Reds' bats have had trouble producing runs lately, but there's been no ailing of the Louisville Bats' bats, especially from the right side.

Entering Thursday, Jerry Hairston Jr. was batting .429 with two home runs and 10 RBIs. Hairston also has a clause in his contract that he can be released if he's not in the Majors by an early part of the season. Another veteran, Jolbert Cabrera, was hitting .359. From the left side of the plate, top prospect Jay Bruce is batting .333 with three homers.

On Wednesday, Bruce was 3-for-3 and a double shy of hitting for the cycle. But he came out of the game early after he jammed his right shoulder sliding back into first base.

"You've got some guys doing very well down there, guys that we liked in Spring Training," Baker said. "We have a couple of guys due to come off [the DL], so something's got to shake."

That could include catcher David Ross, who's also at Louisville on a rehab assignment because of back spasms. Ross is also eligible to be activated from the DL but is batting all of .167 (4-for-24) in nine Minor League games.

The Reds will open a six-game homestand on Friday against the Brewers and are in the midst of a 16-day stretch without a day off.

"It's a very interesting situation," Baker said of his roster.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080417&content_id=2541248&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

It's actually a seven game homestand, not six.

Highlifeman21
04-17-2008, 06:03 PM
For the love of future seasons, please please please leave Homer Bailey at AAA for the time being.

*BaseClogger*
04-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Does anybody else think Lehr could be as effective as Josh Fogg? (please spare me the "my grandma could be more effective than Josh Fogg" responses)

Benihana
04-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Volquez will most assuredly be in the rotation this time next month, barring injury. He does have some issues with control, but so does Carlos Zambrano. I've been saying it all along- those two are very similar pitchers.

Fogg should be in long relief/mop-up duty and Belisle will take his place. If we need a spot start, it should go to Fogg or Maloney. If we need a rotation replacement, it should go to Bailey- but not until June at the earliest. Before then, it will be Lehr or Shearn.

I echo the sentiments of others that Maloney should be trade bait. Ship him to Seattle for Balentien.

Unassisted
04-18-2008, 09:31 AM
I like the idea of Lehr or Shearn replacing Fogg. But keep in mind that in his callup last season Shearn proved to be hittable enough that he's likely not a rest-of-the-season solution.

IslandRed
04-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Lehr and Shearn would be okay for emergency fill-ins, but I don't see where they could be expected to be better than Fogg, and if they're not better, then what's the point?

(By "better than Fogg" I mean the historical Fogg, the 5-ish ERA guy who pitches just well enough to hang around the back of a rotation but not well enough to be a real asset. That's the bar to be cleared. If it was just being better than the Fogg who carried gasoline cans to the mound at Wrigley this week, then just about anyone would do.)

Belisle is the obvious choice for now. Bailey later, but I would like to see him dominate Triple-A for awhile and come up when he's ready to succeed, not just survive.

RedlegJake
04-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Wait a minute. Volquez pitched 3 excellent starts. Ks more than a batter an inning. Less than a hit an inning. Has kept the ball in the park. Would have had at least 6, maybe 7 innings in his second start but for weather. His ONLY problem so far has been pitch inefficiency. He ends up pitching at 2-2 or 3-2 to a lot of batters. Partly because they can't touch the strikes he does throw so he ends up deeper in counts.

And people here are saying he won't last - he'll end up out of the rotation? Look, I have always been respectful of others opinions. I don't wisecrack when I think an opinion is of dubious nature. Lord knows I have enough dumb opinions myself but this is the craziest thing I've heard in a while. The problem isn't Volquez. He is exactly on track and Dusty isn't pushing his counts dangerously. He'll get better. He is on an upward track and has been since the Rangers promoted him the end of last season.

The problem for the Reds staff has been that Arroyo and Fogg, whose jobs are simply to eat innings while keeping things close have failed. Arroyo hasn't pitched that badly but isn't getting into the 7th or 8th, and Fogg has been a disaster. The veterans on this staff need to go consistently into the 7th inning. With 2 rookies, you know going in that 40% of the team's starts are going to likely end in 5 or 6 innings so the vets to need to eat some innings or the bullpen is going to get frazzled very early on.

The offense needs to take some of the heat, too. Get a couple of those 8/9 run games when Arroyo or Fogg or Belisle going forward are on the mound and they can stay in for an extra inning or two from time to time when they might get pinch hit for in a close game.

Belisle will replace Fogg. 105 pitches in his last outing. 3 starts, all looked good, albeit against minor leaguers. The only question I have is what becomes of Fogg. If I'm Dusty I tell Wayne - "you signed him without even asking for my input, you get to tell Cast he's eating another contract". I find it incredible that the Reds go gung-ho to get Dusty signed and then make major personnel decisions without him in the loop.

As for needing Fogg, it's possible the Reds will need more starters but Lehr is a journeyman who's pitching very well and should give the Reds as good or better than what they get from Fogg. Maloney is the right age and is pitching better after a rough start. Shearn is capable of delivering as well as Fogg has.

OnBaseMachine
04-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Wait a minute. Volquez pitched 3 excellent starts. Ks more than a batter an inning. Less than a hit an inning. Has kept the ball in the park. Would have had at least 6, maybe 7 innings in his second start but for weather. His ONLY problem so far has been pitch inefficiency. He ends up pitching at 2-2 or 3-2 to a lot of batters. Partly because they can't touch the strikes he does throw so he ends up deeper in counts.

And people here are saying he won't last - he'll end up out of the rotation? Look, I have always been respectful of others opinions. I don't wisecrack when I think an opinion is of dubious nature. Lord knows I have enough dumb opinions myself but this is the craziest thing I've heard in a while. The problem isn't Volquez. He is exactly on track and Dusty isn't pushing his counts dangerously. He'll get better. He is on an upward track and has been since the Rangers promoted him the end of last season.

The problem for the Reds staff has been that Arroyo and Fogg, whose jobs are simply to eat innings while keeping things close have failed. Arroyo hasn't pitched that badly but isn't getting into the 7th or 8th, and Fogg has been a disaster. The veterans on this staff need to go consistently into the 7th inning. With 2 rookies, you know going in that 40% of the team's starts are going to likely end in 5 or 6 innings so the vets to need to eat some innings or the bullpen is going to get frazzled very early on.

The offense needs to take some of the heat, too. Get a couple of those 8/9 run games when Arroyo or Fogg or Belisle going forward are on the mound and they can stay in for an extra inning or two from time to time when they might get pinch hit for in a close game.

Belisle will replace Fogg. 105 pitches in his last outing. 3 starts, all looked good, albeit against minor leaguers. The only question I have is what becomes of Fogg. If I'm Dusty I tell Wayne - "you signed him without even asking for my input, you get to tell Cast he's eating another contract". I find it incredible that the Reds go gung-ho to get Dusty signed and then make major personnel decisions without him in the loop.

As for needing Fogg, it's possible the Reds will need more starters but Lehr is a journeyman who's pitching very well and should give the Reds as good or better than what they get from Fogg. Maloney is the right age and is pitching better after a rough start. Shearn is capable of delivering as well as Fogg has.

Very well said. Especially agree with the Volquez part.

Falls City Beer
04-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Volquez's upside is greater than virtually any pitcher on the Reds--but he's also had spells--long spells--of total lack of control. I don't necessarily foresee him having too long a spell anymore because he's a bit older now, but I'm not comfortable assuming any more than about 150 innings of work from him this year. He doesn't have the control to go deep into games right now. Someone's going to have to pitch those remaining innings that we don't get from Volquez--if it's not Fogg, fine. But it's going to have to be someone.

RedlegJake
04-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Volquez's upside is greater than virtually any pitcher on the Reds--but he's also had spells--long spells--of total lack of control. I don't necessarily foresee him having too long a spell anymore because he's a bit older now, but I'm not comfortable assuming any more than about 150 innings of work from him this year. He doesn't have the control to go deep into games right now. Someone's going to have to pitch those remaining innings that we don't get from Volquez--if it's not Fogg, fine. But it's going to have to be someone.

I agree with this. That's why I said the vets have to get deeper than they have so far because the young guys are going to tax the pen. Really, you need a pitcher whose role becomes extending the kids starts for them until Volquez gets a bit more command and Cueto gets older (he should remain on a strict pitch limit - 115 for EV is fine but I'd like to see Cueto kept to 100).

Keeping the pen fresh is going to be a challenge for Dusty. That's one reason I don't want to see Coffey gone. Instead, send him to Louisville with strict instructions to use him enough to work out some of his problems but not to overuse him. Keep him fresh. Bring up Bray.

REDREAD
04-18-2008, 11:53 AM
I would absolutely not throw out Fogg just yet. Not with Volquez's volatility. He's very likely to be out of the rotation by the middle of May with his control problems. There's just no stability in this rotation; need as many warm bodies as possible.

Yes, that's my point as well.

Not to mention that the entire pen outside of Cordero is volatile.
Bray and Belisle are just about the only real "Depth" at Louisville. I don't want to see Homer forced up here to be a warm body. If he earns it, fine, but he needs more than 3 starts down there.

Weathers, Coffey, and Burton have not looked so good in the early going.
And of course Mecker and Lincoln are questionable at their small sample sizes as well.

I do not want to see Ricky Stone get called up this year, or another Michalek.. there is worse than Fogg, as bad as he is.

LincolnparkRed
04-18-2008, 11:53 AM
I agree with this. That's why I said the vets have to get deeper than they have so far because the young guys are going to tax the pen. Really, you need a pitcher whose role becomes extending the kids starts for them until Volquez gets a bit more command and Cueto gets older (he should remain on a strict pitch limit - 115 for EV is fine but I'd like to see Cueto kept to 100).

Keeping the pen fresh is going to be a challenge for Dusty. That's one reason I don't want to see Coffey gone. Instead, send him to Louisville with strict instructions to use him enough to work out some of his problems but not to overuse him. Keep him fresh. Bring up Bray.

Would be a big help if Arroyo could get past 5 innings in his starts

REDREAD
04-18-2008, 11:57 AM
I find this to be almost unbelievable. Can it be that Wayne doesn't consult with Dusty on who the personnel is? Or is that SOP in the majors?

Wayne has a reputation of not really consulting with anyone and just doing what he wants to do. I think that's part of the reason he makes so many mistakes. It's well documented that he blew off his advisors on "The trade"
I also hope that someone in the Reds' org tried to talk him out of Stanton and Cormier as well.

I mean, Wayne was such a bad listener, it drove people out of the organization who had been there a long time. Seems like Wayne likes to surround himself with "yes" men.

Now maybe Jocketty has enough authority to force Wayne to listen. I don't know either way.

RedlegJake
04-18-2008, 12:32 PM
I do not want to see Ricky Stone get called up this year, or another Michalek.. there is worse than Fogg, as bad as he is.

Not to worry. I believe Stone has been cut.

redsmetz
04-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Wayne has a reputation of not really consulting with anyone and just doing what he wants to do. I think that's part of the reason he makes so many mistakes. It's well documented that he blew off his advisors on "The trade"
I also hope that someone in the Reds' org tried to talk him out of Stanton and Cormier as well.

I mean, Wayne was such a bad listener, it drove people out of the organization who had been there a long time. Seems like Wayne likes to surround himself with "yes" men.

Now maybe Jocketty has enough authority to force Wayne to listen. I don't know either way.

I think you're extrapolating more here than may be the fact. No question there was a bit of a power play that took place around the trade and I think two folks left the organization. But much of what I hear Krivsky say talks about regular consultation with his staff throughout the organization.

As opposed to "yes men", I wonder if he hasn't been putting together folks that can move the organization in the direction he believes it should go. I'm not intimately familiar with the day to day operations, but I've certainly seen enough in stories that would indicate to me that there is more discussion than you seem to give credit for. And that's not to say there haven't been disagreements and/or mistakes. Those do happen in every organization.

And I, for one, grow tired of the underlying assumption that Jockety's position is to keep WK under control or to put a brake on any possible craziness. Is it not possible that Bob C. saw in Jockety's availability a confidant who brings added value to the organization in and of itself? I just don't think there's as much "court intrigue" that is taking place as some on RZ think.

OnBaseMachine
04-18-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm sort of surprised the Reds haven't made any moves today after the way Baker talked yesterday.

BRM
04-18-2008, 03:04 PM
If Belisle isn't brought up sometime this weekend, what happens on Fogg's next scheduled turn (Monday)? Do you think Affeldt will start in his place or will Josh be given the ball again?

Matt700wlw
04-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Three weeks of Jerry Hairston tearing up AAA doesn't change what he is and that is bad. He's a slightly better version (offensively) of Juan Castro.

So unless, he's replacing Juan Castro I'm not bursting with fruit flavor at the thought of his call up.

If it means Juan Castro going, they can bring back Brandon Larson...

Matt700wlw
04-18-2008, 03:17 PM
If Belisle isn't brought up sometime this weekend, what happens on Fogg's next scheduled turn (Monday)? Do you think Affeldt will start in his place or will Josh be given the ball again?

Wouldn't shock me...of course, I don't think the outcome would be much different.

Affeldt, so far, looks fine out of the bullpen, so I'd rather not mess with it.

Reds Fanatic
04-18-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm sort of surprised the Reds haven't made any moves today after the way Baker talked yesterday.

This is from Trent's blog. Sounds like no moves being made today.

I was told there's nobody new in the clubhouse yet. But we'll see. I don't expect anything major today.

OnBaseMachine
04-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Josh Fogg should not make another start for this club if they're serious about winning. DFA him and bring up Matt Belisle, please.

TRF
04-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Josh Fogg should not make another start for this club if they're serious about winning. DFA him and bring up Matt Belisle, please.

We need an idiotmobile run to Louisville.

BRM
04-18-2008, 03:56 PM
It won't surprise me in the least if Fogg starts again on Monday. I just can't see the team DFA'ing him after only 3 starts.

TRF
04-18-2008, 05:01 PM
It won't surprise me in the least if Fogg starts again on Monday. I just can't see the team DFA'ing him after only 3 starts.

don't ruin my monday on a friday.

Chip R
04-18-2008, 05:50 PM
If they do make a move, I think they will wait till Monday.

Screwball
04-18-2008, 05:53 PM
It won't surprise me in the least if Fogg starts again on Monday.

I don't know about that. Dusty's made it pretty obvious that he doesn't want Fogg losing more games and taxing the bullpen, IMO. They don't need to necessarily DFA him, just relegate him to the pen for mop-up duty and send down or DFA somebody else (Coffey, Castro, etc.).

OnBaseMachine
04-18-2008, 05:54 PM
No moves

Wayne Krivsky and Dusty Baker met today. You didn't miss any announcement. No moves were made.

Some will be coming shortly, I would guess. Krivsky just returned from Triple-A Louisville. He said catcher David Ross and right-hander Matt Belisle are about ready.

So something's got to give here, right?

"It's a nice problem to have," Krivsky said. "We have good choices."

Josh Fogg is listed as Monday's starter, but it sounds to me like Belisle could be moved into that slot.

"He looked good," Krivsky said. "He pitched seven innings the night I saw. He went over 100 pitches. He threw all his pitches, threw them for strikes, got ahead of the hitters. He had a good outing."

If he comes up, will it be as a starter?

"We're looking at him as a starter," Krivsky said. "We made that commitment last year."

Krivsky didn't sound ready to address the Reds' struggles against left-handers with a roster moves.

"It's too small a sample to me," Krivsky said. "We're a better hitting team than we've showed here in spots. Every team goes through struggles at various points in time. Nothing says you're going to hit .275 against righties and .275 against lefties."

Also from Krivsky:

On David Ross: "He's playing a lot down there. He's healthy and getting his timing. I hope he'll be ready (by April 23)."

On Homer Bailey: "He looked good. Ross caught him in fact. I talked to David the next day. He said Homer has made tremendous improvement. He's locating his pitches better. He's doing well."

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/

reds44
04-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Bases loaded, nobody out, lefty on the mound. Bako and Hatteberg due up, Castro and Patterson off the bench.

Yeah, a move should have been made. The Reds could have used Hairston or Jolbert tonight.

And the CF position is becoming more of a black hole by the day.

Joseph
04-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Wouldn't surprise me to see Coffey DL'ed after that shot off the leg, and Belisle called up to pitch Monday, with Fogg in the pen.

VR
04-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Wouldn't surprise me to see Coffey DL'ed after that shot off the leg, and Belisle called up to pitch Monday, with Fogg in the pen.

Finally a good outing from Coffey....it would only be fitting he goes on the shelf

alloverjr
04-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Finally a good outing from Coffey....it would only be fitting he goes on the shelf

Only the results were good, however (bottom line I know). But the last 2 batters hit seeds that would have plated a couple of runs. Both just happened to find body parts.

Aronchis
04-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Yeah, Coffey got the "luck" tonight.

If Arroyo is canned babyfood, the Reds need to start looking at 2009.

Matt700wlw
04-18-2008, 10:46 PM
And the CF position is becoming more of a black hole by the day.

Meanwhile, the Minor League player of the year remains in AAA batting around .300

reds44
04-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Meanwhile, the Minor League player of the year remains in AAA batting around .300
It's going to be harder and harder to keep him in AAA.

SirFelixCat
04-18-2008, 10:59 PM

And that's a really, really good thing :thumbup:

Spring~Fields
04-18-2008, 11:10 PM

Might as well get his feet wet up here,

I would think he could hit almost as well as Votto.

Matt700wlw
04-18-2008, 11:11 PM
He should have been up here from day 1...obviously, he's not a righty, but that's a different topic :)

Stormy
04-18-2008, 11:12 PM

I've stated since the Hamilton trade that this offense was likely to be so anemic that we would eventually have to start a Bruce, Dunn and Griffey OF, and defensive repercussions be damned.

Patterson was a solid signing, and the epitome of a necessary evil, precisely because our pitching staff absolutely had to have an elite defensive CF between the immobile Dunn and Griffey. However, tossing 400+ ABs to Patterson at the leadoff spot is a waking nightmare scenario playing out right before our eyes. Probably going to have to go with all of our optimal offensive weapons, and properly construct the lineup for maximum production, sooner rather than later.

Votto/Bruce, Keppinger, Dunn, Griffey, Phillips, Bruce/Votto, Encarnacion, Ross/Bako... and then you might start seeing some production. Hopefully enough to counter the lack of defensive range and prowess.

I'm more concerned that instead we'll see a bunch of tinkering from Dusty with worthless parts like Hairston, and continued misusage and misplacement of our current personnel.

reds44
04-18-2008, 11:14 PM
The problem is, when Bruce is called up this year (and he will be), he is probably going to be batting out of position. If he is playing CF he'll be leading off (because CFers leadoff dude) and he really doesn't belong though.

Even still, he is a better option than Patterson.

Spring~Fields
04-18-2008, 11:18 PM
He should have been up here from day 1...obviously, he's not a righty, but that's a different topic :)

Patterson convinced me of that. :)