PDA

View Full Version : Marty on Cubs Fans: UPDATED WITH AUDIO

reds44
04-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Does anybody know exactly what he said last night? They are talking about it on the radio here, but I have yet to hear the exact quote.

Anyone?

EDIT:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080417-marty-brennaman-chicago-cubs-reds,1,6962881.mp3file

TOBTTReds
04-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Whatever it was, it was probably true. And they are upset about it.

redsfan30
04-17-2008, 10:34 PM
I'd love to hear it. It has to be good!

Big Klu
04-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Thom was pretty critical of the Cubs' fans general conduct the last couple of nights on TV, too. He says that Cubs fans have changed since he worked for the Cubs years ago, and they have become uglier and angrier in their actions. He indicated that he thinks it stems from their meltdown in the 2003 NLCS, and that Steve Bartman (Thom did not mention him by name) is unfortunately the eye of the storm. He also mentioned that Moises Alou has recently stated that he feels that he would have been unable to catch that foul ball even if Bartman had not been there. Thom said, "Well, that's nice of Alou to say that, but where was he five years ago? He could have saved that young man a lot of grief and heartache."

reds44
04-17-2008, 10:49 PM
They threw back Votto's ground rule double last night. I didn't think it got much dumber than that until they threw like 7 balls on the field after Dunn's homer.

It was comical. Whatever he said, I'm sure he was right on.

reds44
04-17-2008, 10:54 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080417-marty-brennaman-chicago-cubs-reds,1,6962881.mp3file

hahahaahahaahahahahahahaha!!!!

Marty!

That is awesome.

OnBaseMachine
04-17-2008, 11:06 PM
That is simply awesome. Marty just shot up my list of favorite people after that nice little rant. HAHA. I can't stand the scrubs or their crybaby fans. I hear you Marty.

redsfan30
04-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Sadly, come June, we'll get to see "Red Sox Nation" invade Great American Ball Park...

WVPacman
04-18-2008, 12:20 AM
Thanks reds44 for the link,I hardly ever get to listen to Marty and the reds anymore on the radio.Marty is simply the best b/c he does'nt sugarcoat things and he tells it like he sees them.:beerme:

MrCinatit
04-18-2008, 02:23 AM
A couple of comments:
1) Have Marty and Jeff been reading Redszone? The comments about blaming it all on the billy goat are hilarious.
2) Many Cubs fans are idiots.
3) Most of the Cubs fans clicking on that link will most likely literally have no idea who Marty is.
4) I have fears of that clip being a rally call from those idiots. When the sea of blue invades Great American, I can almost picture the angry chants.

KronoRed
04-18-2008, 02:29 AM
Contract the cubs!

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-18-2008, 02:57 AM
Sadly, come June, we'll get to see "Red Sox Nation" invade Great American Ball Park...

Wow it must be so tough to be a new Red Sox fan... they're even more lame than Cubs fans, IMO

MrCinatit
04-18-2008, 03:04 AM
Wow it must be so tough to be a new Red Sox fan... they're even more lame than Cubs fans, IMO

The New Age, bandwagoner RedSox fans who have been rooting for them since they won the Series are quite annoying.
But, as Marty said, we find Cubs fans more annoying because they are crammed down our throats several times a year.

redsrule2500
04-18-2008, 03:33 AM
HAHA!! That's AWESOME. I love Marty! CUBS FANS SUCK!

cincyinco
04-18-2008, 03:55 AM
Is there any transcript of this? I'm stuck at the hospital for the night and for some reason the mp3 link won't work on my blackberry.

THX!

Ron Madden
04-18-2008, 04:13 AM
Marty is praised and adored for speaking his mind.

Some RedsZone members are piled on, degraded, and accused of not being real Reds Fans for doing the same thing.

I've learned a lot about baseball from RedsZone members.

Marty has'nt taught me a thing.

;)

macro
04-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Marty is praised and adored for speaking his mind.

Some RedsZone members are piled on, degraded, and accused of not being real Reds Fans for doing the same thing.

I've learned a lot about baseball from RedsZone members.

Marty has'nt taught me a thing.

;)

Marty is praised and adored for speaking his mind, as long as the criticism is of another team, it's players, or it's fans. He, too, has been piled on, degraded, and accused of not being a real Reds fan when he has been critical of certain Reds players.

Unassisted
04-18-2008, 11:30 AM
A Cub fan responds.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/18369-Hey-Marty-Brennaman-Cry-Me-a-River-#

Chicago Cubs Haters: Hey Marty Brennaman, Cry Me a River!

by Josh Durdin (Contributor)

April 18, 2008

I ran across an audio clip from Wednesday's Cubs game where Marty Brennaman rants about how obnoxious Chicago Cubs fans are and how it forces others to hate them.

This was in response to 15-20 baseballs being thrown back onto the field after an Adam Dunn home run. I find it amusing but then again, I have a sense of humor and do not feel that Major League Baseball is the highest form of social and intellectual standards.

I do not know what it is with the Brennaman family but they have a pure hatred for the Cubs. Even after Thom worked as a Cubs announcer, once he joined his daddy with the Cincinnati Reds, he has become a total basher.

Why wouldn't they though?

Although The Great American Ballpark is a hitters dream, they still can't sell out as many games as the Cubs. The times that TGAB sells out during a midweek game usually comes from a Cubs series.

The sad thing is that as big of a Cubs fan I consider myself to be, I have no hatred towards the Reds.

In fact, I like many of the players on their team.

Too bad listening to any broadcast made by a Brennaman makes be cringe at the outright bias nature of most things being announced.

It just places a very negative stigma around the ballclub because the Brennamans complain about everything.

I believe the real issue here is that the Reds have to win to invoke a ballpark experience that is prevalent at Wrigley Field. The Cubs, win or lose, still manage to be one of the top five teams in both home and away games attendance.

I'll just stick to my routine of watching the Reds only broadcast (due to regional restrictions on television), turn down the audio and listen to the Great Pat Hughes and Ron Santo speak to the Cub Nation.

Unassisted
04-18-2008, 11:32 AM
This column includes a transcript. I highlighted the paragraph that tells you all you really need to know about what the columnist thinks.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/04/18/marty-brennaman-cubs-fans-are-the-most-obnoxious-in-major-leagu/

Marty Brennaman: Cubs Fans Are the Most Obnoxious in Major League Baseball

Posted Apr 18th 2008 12:07AM by Eamonn Brennan (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/bloggers/eamonn-brennan/)

Everyone hates their rivals. It's understandable. It's a natural byproduct of cheering for your own team; if you stand in the way of my team's success, and you do so on a regular basis, I'm probably going to hate you. Fine.

But who knew Marty Brennaman (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/tag/MartyBrennaman/) had these sorts of issues with Chicago Cubs fans? After a weird, impromptu throwback fest last night (http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2008/4/17/411741/the-answer-my-friend-is-bl) (HT to my buddy Josh) -- which was funny until about the 10th ball made its way back on to the field -- Brennaman absolutely snapped. The Chicago Tribune has the audio (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080417-marty-brennaman-chicago-cubs-reds,1,6962881.mp3file), or you can jump for a transcript. Go on, listen. It's really choice stuff.

Back? Cool. In case you're still reeling, Brennaman just said what you thought he did: Cubs fans are the most obnoxious fans in Major League Baseball. They deserve to be rooted against. The actions of a few fans are in fact "typical" of the entire fan base, and, the clincher: The Cubs won't win the division this year because they're the Cubs, and they'll find a way to screw things up.

There are a variety of problems here, which I'll try to elucidate rationally even though am I a Cubs fan.

One: A bunch of fans throwing anything is always a minority, and doesn't reflect much about the fan base at large. If you want to get all outraged about something like this, aim your sights a more efficiently. Two: Rooting against anyone is an inherently petty thing to do. Fun as hell. But also petty, and probably not something you want to admit if you're a professional broadcaster. Three: If I'm not mistaken, the Cubs won this very same division no more than seven months ago. So either that theory about them screwing the whole thing up is about the World Series -- and really, taking the field against one team is such a brave point of view -- or Brennaman only follows baseball one season at a time. Something doesn't add up!

If Brennaman sought to make all Reds fans look like petty, stupid cranks, he sure did his damndest. Fortunately for the fine denizens of Cincinnati, no reasonable person would stoop so low as to actually associate other Reds fans with this preening idiot.

TRANSCRIPT: "This is what makes you want to see this Chicago Cubs team lose. Among all baseball fans -- I can't attest to the Yankees and Red Sox because we don't see them with any degree of regularity unless it's interleague play -- but far and away the most obnoxious fans in baseball in this league are those who follow this team right here. Throwing 15 or 18 balls on the field, there's absolutely no excuse for that and that is so typical of Chicago Cub fans. It's unbelievable."

"Throwing the ball back, that's great, that's a Chicago Cub tradition that other teams have picked up on, and that's fine."

"It's ridiculous, it really is ... You simply root against them. I've said all winter, people talk about this team winning the division, and my comment is they won't win it because at the end of the day, they're still the Chicago Cubs and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up.

Brantley: "And then they'll have no one to boo but themselves.

Brennaman: "Well, they never blame themselves."

Brantley: "They'll blame that old billy goat."

Brennaman: "Yep."

Red in Chicago
04-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Although The Great American Ballpark is a hitters dream, they still can't sell out as many games as the Cubs. The times that TGAB sells out during a midweek game usually comes from a Cubs series.

I believe the real issue here is that the Reds have to win to invoke a ballpark experience that is prevalent at Wrigley Field. The Cubs, win or lose, still manage to be one of the top five teams in both home and away games attendance.

While the author of the above statements fails to mention the fact that Chicago has 10 times the population of Cincinnati, he does make a few good points. The Reds need help when it comes to making the ballpark experience more enjoyable and in the case of Cincinnati, that means creating a winning team.

LincolnparkRed
04-18-2008, 11:42 AM
[B][I]
While the author of the above statements fails to mention the fact that Chicago has 10 times the population of Cincinnati, he does make a few good points. The Reds need help when it comes to making the ballpark experience more enjoyable and in the case of Cincinnati, that means creating a winning team.

That and busloads of people from Iowa don't hurt the cubs attendance. But it seems a lot of people don't travel to Cincy because of the dangers of the big city, whereas Wrigleyville for some reason seems less dangerous. Maybe it is the proximity to Boystown that helps the Cubs fans feel safe.

Joseph
04-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Josh Durdin is clearly an idiot.

Cubs fans are by far the worst in baseball. The honestly believe that getting drunk at the game makes them a 'fan'. They believe in goat curses, c'mon, get real.

Marty is saying what almost ALL intelligent baseball people think.

Are there likely some good Cubs fans out there, ones who actually understand and love baseball? Absolutely. Most though just think of a baseball game as a party. Of course if I lived in Chicago I'd want to be drunk all the time too.

Chip R
04-18-2008, 12:07 PM

He does have good points as does the Marty.

I think the Reds have made great strides in making the ballpark experience enjoyable. But it's not Chicago, it's not Wrigley Field and it's not Wrigleyville. You can grow as much ivy on the walls there but it's still not going to be Wrigley Field.

While it's true the Cubs sell out most of their games, are those fans there for the game or the experience/party? Is that something the Reds want? Is that something Reds fans want?

The Cubs are going to draw like they do even if they lose because people want to go there for the experience. It's why people have accused them of not spending to put a winning team on the field. I'm pretty sure Reds fans don't want the Reds to do that.

REDREAD
04-18-2008, 12:11 PM

The Reds had a big surge in attendence in 2000, due to coming off a contending year and the addition of Jr. Sadly, Allen and Lindner thought they could let the product just rot on the vine. They knew us diehard fans (or fools) would show up at the new park, regardless of the quality of the product. After most of the 2003 tickets were sold, Allen revealed his real plan of gutting the team of everyone humanly possible. Casey and Graves and other players making money were only spared because no one else wanted them.

Cast has a big job to win those fans back. Frankly, the Reds' product as a whole still isn't that great. It was a bad product last year. Hopefully it will be better this year, but many fans are still skeptical, and have a right to be.

The regional Cincinnati area is still smaller than Chicago, but there's plenty of potential fans there (by some measures the greater Cincy area is more populated than the greater St Louis area and they do fine).

We have a bland stadium and a mediocre team. We had to sit through many years of Allen/Lindner's bumbling "leadership". Doesn't take a genius to figure out why the Reds are one of the poorest drawing teams in the league.

Not to mention, we've got the Brennamans constantly telling us that the Reds suck over the radio every night.. :lol:

vaticanplum
04-18-2008, 12:36 PM

I actually think his argument is built on fallacy. He's turning the tables to address the Reds' weaknesses in terms of fans, not actually dealing with the argument at hand as it was presented to him, which is the increasingly provocative nature (not number) of Cubs fans. Marty wasn't comparing them to Reds fans -- he gives them a hard enough time as it is. He was making an observation about Chicago fans, period. And for the record, I don't think high attendance for a losing team is necessarily a positive thing. There are reasons that the Cubs haven't been bothered to win a world championship in nearly a century.

This dude would have better foundation in those points if he had started the argument. As a reply, it reads as a whiny fallacy. I hate those kinds of arguments, and it's coincidentally exactly what I hate about Cubs fans ("Oh yeah we suck?! Well we sell out EVERY GAME while you guys are in a mudpit!!11!!!")

Red in Chicago
04-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Josh Durdin is clearly an idiot.

Cubs fans are by far the worst in baseball. The honestly believe that getting drunk at the game makes them a 'fan'. They believe in goat curses, c'mon, get real.

Marty is saying what almost ALL intelligent baseball people think.

Are there likely some good Cubs fans out there, ones who actually understand and love baseball? Absolutely. Most though just think of a baseball game as a party. Of course if I lived in Chicago I'd want to be drunk all the time too.

I hear this rap a lot and really don't quite get it. Sure there are those that just go to drink, but that's in every ballpark. I've sat in the bleachers in Cincy before and won't do it again. Too many drunk guys with little man syndrome. Tough guys who can't handle their liquor are not people I want to be around.

As far as the goat/curse is concerned, that's just stupid, but then again, we as Reds' fans believe there will be another Big Red Machine...it just ain't gonna happen.

I've been to plenty of Cubs/Reds games in both Chicago and Cincy. I've received a few remarks here while wearing my Reds garb, but my father has also taken just as many remarks in Cincy wearing his Cubs gear. It goes both ways.

As far as what Chip said about having fans come just for the experience/party, I see where you're coming from. Now, you can still get prime seats without much concern. If it were to turn into "the cool place to be" event, it wouldn't be so easy or cheap. However, when I see a sea of blue shirts when the Cubs are in town, it's very depressing and embarrassing.

I'd rather have a winning team with pseudo fans, than a losing team with great fans. I can always just watch on tv;)

Jpup
04-18-2008, 02:03 PM
The only reason the Cubs are popular outside of their market is due to WGN being on everywhere. The same can be said for the Braves and TBS in the South.

redsrule2500
04-18-2008, 02:29 PM
The only reason the Cubs are popular outside of their market is due to WGN being on everywhere. The same can be said for the Braves and TBS in the South.

I dunno. I just assumed they were popular because of their history and Chicago being a massive city.

Braves, because they have been good for about a century.

TOBTTReds
04-18-2008, 02:39 PM

That holds true for the Dominican. A lot of latino players/citizens like the Cubs and Braves, because that is who they grew up watching.

BCubb2003
04-18-2008, 02:46 PM
1908! 1908!

westofyou
04-18-2008, 02:47 PM

“There is a body of tradition to this ball club that holds up in bad years as well as good.” Statistics place alone place the Cubs with the kings of baseball, but no amount of statistics, artfully compiled and proudly totaled up, can tell the story of the team that has a hold on the great American Midwest that will never be loosed.

Ed Burns in the Chicago Cubs History in 1948.

The Cubs and Wrigley Field were eliciting the exact same talk about fair weather fans and the like 60 years ago.

The Cubs are one of the two oldest teams in baseball, they are a product on WGN for sure, but they're bigger than just that venue.

RedlegJake
04-18-2008, 03:02 PM
I dunno. I just assumed they were popular because of their history and Chicago being a massive city.

Braves, because they have been good for about a century.

The Braves? Since the early 90s they've been good but before that they stunk for a long, long time. I still think of them as a team of futility despite their past decade of successes. Depends on your age I guess.

RedlegJake
04-18-2008, 03:05 PM
That reminds me of something my son said to me "Why do you like the Reds so much? The last time they were good is like ancient history!"

My great failing as a parent. Children who aren't Reds fans.

To them, though, the BRM IS ancient history.

Matt700wlw
04-18-2008, 03:07 PM
One of his best rants in years. :lol:

I laughed when he did it, and I laugh now when I hear it.

BRM
04-18-2008, 03:09 PM
That reminds me of something my son said to me "Why do you like the Reds so much? The last time they were good is like ancient history!"

My great failing as a parent. Children who aren't Reds fans.

To them, though, the BRM IS ancient history.

I know what you mean. My daughter only knows Colorado so she has become a Rockies fan. I just can't get her into the Reds at all. It's sad.

Chip R
04-18-2008, 03:15 PM
The Braves? Since the early 90s they've been good but before that they stunk for a long, long time. I still think of them as a team of futility despite their past decade of successes. Depends on your age I guess.

They were good in the mid 50s through the very early 70s and then in the early part of the 80s.

*BaseClogger*
04-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Thank god I spent my first five years of life at Riverfront watching guys like Reggie Sanders and Kevin Mitchell. Otherwise, it is very doubtful I'd be a Reds fan...

RedlegJake
04-18-2008, 03:19 PM
They were good in the mid 50s through the very early 70s and then in the early part of the 80s.

Very dangerous lineups but the Braves pitching always sucked.

Chip R
04-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Very dangerous lineups but the Braves pitching always sucked.

But they were still good enough to go to back to back series in the late 50s and the NLCS in 1969. They didn't suck like the teams in the mid-late 70s and mid-late 80s did.

RedlegJake
04-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Chip you're right. The 50s Braves were a good team. I guess my barb was directed more at the Atlanta version after they packed up and deserted Milwaukee. (Though I wasn't a Braves fan the move irked me)

Chip R
04-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Chip you're right. The 50s Braves were a good team. I guess my barb was directed more at the Atlanta version after they packed up and deserted Milwaukee. (Though I wasn't a Braves fan the move irked me)

I mentioned Bill Veeck in another thread; in his book, "The Hustler's Handbook" he has a great chapter on all the machinations on the move from MIL to ATL.

westofyou
04-18-2008, 04:01 PM
I mentioned Bill Veeck in another thread; in his book, "The Hustler's Handbook" he has a great chapter on all the machinations on the move from MIL to ATL.

Of course once they banned picnic lunches and bringing your own beer in the stadium the attendance there dwindled... then they sued when the Braves left and MLB tossed them the Pilots to shut up and likewise tossed the M's at Seattle to get them to shut up.

And to think... they were going to let Veeck be the first to move to the coast... nahhhhh they'd never let THAT happen.

Chip R
04-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Of course once they banned picnic lunches and bringing your own beer in the stadium the attendance there dwindled...

Sure, cause they wanted to make it look like the fans didn't support them anymore so they could have an excuse to move to ATL.

BCubb2003
04-18-2008, 04:06 PM
It was the early Ted Turner years when the Braves were truly awful.

RichRed
04-18-2008, 04:19 PM
It was the early Ted Turner years when the Braves were truly awful.

Or as I like to call it, When All Was Right With the World.

reds44
04-18-2008, 05:25 PM
So somebody tried to throw a beer on Nate McClouth today (and missed by a foot) during Fukudome's triple today, just confirming the fact his comments were right on.

OldRightHander
04-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Then during tonight's game, Marty called Wrigley Field the world's largest sports bar.

Chip R
04-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Then during tonight's game, Marty called Wrigley Field the world's largest sports bar.

I've heard it called a different adjective besides sports. :eek:

smith288
04-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Cubs losing is the whole appeal for people to experience. If they won a world series, that appeal would likely go away. That dump called Wrigley is still there because of its experience. otherwise, they would build a state of the art field with all the amenities.

Their stadium is FAIL, their team is FAIL and their fans, most of all, is FAIL.

Ron Madden
04-19-2008, 03:17 AM
Cubs losing is the whole appeal for people to experience. If they won a world series, that appeal would likely go away. That dump called Wrigley is still there because of its experience. otherwise, they would build a state of the art field with all the amenities.

Their stadium is FAIL, their team is FAIL and their fans, most of all, is FAIL.

I kinda understand what you're saying, but tradition does have some very good and worth while value.

I love the history and tradition of Wrigley Field.

I kinda enjoy the Power Of Tradition that the Cubs follow too.

;)

Ltlabner
04-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Not to mention, we've got the Brennamans constantly telling us that the Reds suck over the radio every night..

As opposed to RZ, reds.com and cincyenquirer.com on the internet everyday.

Even very casual fans are intelligent enough to realize the Reds have stunk for years without having having to be told by the radio.

RedlegJake
04-19-2008, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't be too quick to point fingers, though. Chicago fans are obnoxious but I've been to 20 ML stadiums including Wrigley. The only places I was glad I didn't have my family with me were the Astrodome where a drunk spilled a beer down my back but other fans were apologetic and helped me clean up and even the drunk was apologizing, and Riverfront where I heard some of the foulest language I've ever heard from a group of fans right in front of me. Idiots, drunks and thugs live everywhere. Maybe it's the small confines of Wrigley that makes the fans climb onto the field, or throw crap at players who look like they're only an arms length away -I have to say Chicago has had a high rate of that kind of behavior in recent years. When I went, I watched the Reds, wore a Reds jersey and enjoyed a Reds win against the Ryne Sandberg led Cubbies in 92. Took and gave a lot of good natured ribbing and was invited to Murphy's after the game. Had a great time! So, yeah, my memories of Cubs fans are good. I just hate when they invade GAB.

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-19-2008, 11:29 AM
I know what you mean. My daughter only knows Colorado so she has become a Rockies fan. I just can't get her into the Reds at all. It's sad.

Coors Field > GABP every day of the week.

As for the teams on the field, well ... we have Norris Hopper and Ryan Freel. Who wouldn't get jacked up for that? :rolleyes:

Matt700wlw
04-19-2008, 11:30 AM
BRM....tell your daughter that two former Rockies are now Reds...Fogg and Affeldt, maybe that will sway her...:)

KYRedsFan
04-19-2008, 01:56 PM
Letters to editors pouring in today. I love it. It is so nice to have a treasure like Wrigley to go to games to living here, but having to listen to their just is just painful.