PDA

View Full Version : Minor Earthquake in Cincy and the Midwest?

Cyclone792
04-18-2008, 07:16 AM
The news is confirming there's been an earthquake so I must not be going crazy just yet.

I have no idea how strong the quake was here, but all I do know is it was strong enough to wake me up (and that's not easy to do) at 5:39am this morning. The whole building was shaking and the windows were rattling. It seemed like it lasted at least 20 seconds.

EDIT: Now saying a 5.4 centered in southeastern Illinois around 60 miles away from Evansville, Indiana.

SunDeck
04-18-2008, 07:20 AM
5.4, woke me up at 5:38.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Maps/US10/32.42.-95.-85.phphttp://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Maps/US10/32.42.-95.-85.php

redsmetz
04-18-2008, 07:25 AM
I just found out from my wife and she and her friends were walking. I heard a sound and thought it sounded like it had started raining outside. It was near the time for my morning walk, so I went to the front door to see if it had started raining and it was dry as a bone. I must have heard some small rubble or something in the wall (our house is 118 years old) that sound like rain falling.

That's a decent size tremor, 5.4, for around here.

robmadden1
04-18-2008, 07:49 AM
5.4 earthquake rocks Illinois; also felt in Ohio, Indiana

Created: 4/18/2008 6:21:45 AM
Updated:4/18/2008 6:31:39 AM

A 5.4 earthquake in Illinois has rocked people awake as far away as Indiana and Ohio, surprising residents unaccustomed to such a large temblor in the Midwest.

Channel 3 News has received comments from viewers comparing the effect to that caused by extremely high winds.

The calls came from a number of different cities, including Lakewood, Rocky River, Solon, Akron, Copley and Willard.

The quake hit just before 4:37 AM and was centered six miles from West Salem in southern Illinois and was felt in Chicago, about 230 miles away.

There were no immediate reports of injuries.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=87528

robmadden1
04-18-2008, 07:50 AM
Louisville had damage 19 was showing video from it.

DTCromer
04-18-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm in Indianapolis and felt it. I thought it was a truck outside or something. I was freaked out when my bed was shaking. . . . . I had no idea.

rotnoid
04-18-2008, 08:38 AM
No wonder the kids were all up early this morning. Can't say I felt it, I was in my pre-wake up routine, and don't notice anything then except that darn alarm clock.

nate
04-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Felt it here in Nashville. I thought it was the cat doing her morning "laps" around the house.

LoganBuck
04-18-2008, 08:45 AM
At exactly that time the birds that have taken up residence in the shrubs outside my bedroom window started chirping really loud.

Razor Shines
04-18-2008, 09:27 AM
My wife and I were in bed and it woke us up. It felt like somebody was jumping up and down on the foot of our bed.

freestyle55
04-18-2008, 09:34 AM
My wife was awake and I was sleeping and it woke me up. I got up and she looked at me and asked "was that an earthquake?"

She's from Mexico City, where they get small quakes all the time, and she was surprised by it, even more shocked to feel one here!

Luckily, my 3 month old son slept through it...

dabvu2498
04-18-2008, 09:44 AM
USGS now says it was a 5.2 earthquake. I was on the road and didn't feel it.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/us2008qza6.php

RedsManRick
04-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Huh. I woke up right around then this morning. Guess the continental plate was celebrating our birthday Cyclone!

TeamSelig
04-18-2008, 09:57 AM
It was very close to my apartment in Vincennes, but I am back home in SE Indiana visiting family. My mom felt it, but it didn't wake me up.

Cyclone792
04-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Huh. I woke up right around then this morning. Guess the continental plate was celebrating our birthday Cyclone!

You're tellin' me, man!

The first thing I thought was tornado, but then two seconds later I realized my window was open and there wasn't any wind outside. The walls, window, bed, and dresser are what shook the most. I remember looking up at my dresser at the sound of my keys moving a bit.

KittyDuran
04-18-2008, 10:03 AM
No wonder the kids were all up early this morning. Can't say I felt it, I was in my pre-wake up routine, and don't notice anything then except that darn alarm clock.Same here, was already awake but not out of bed. BTW, my cat was acting real strange - real clingy and crying. That might have been it - she felt it but I didn't.

DTCromer
04-18-2008, 10:11 AM
It was very close to my apartment in Vincennes, but I am back home in SE Indiana visiting family. My mom felt it, but it didn't wake me up.

WHere do you live in SE Indiana?

Red in Chicago
04-18-2008, 10:18 AM
it woke me up here in chicago...weird feeling...

Heath
04-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Slept right through it.

Like a baby.

Chip R
04-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Slept right through it.

Like a baby.

Same here.

westofyou
04-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Slept right through it.

Like a baby.

Then it wasn't a good one.

KronoRed
04-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Woke up the Mrs and she woke me up, I thought it was a train but the sound was different.

My first earthquake :D

HeatherC1212
04-18-2008, 11:57 AM
I felt it early this morning which is surprising because I usually sleep through everything. Anyway, I didn't realize what had happened until I saw the news. My bed is in the corner of my room (I have a wall along the side and the top parts of my bed) and it felt like the wall was moving which is what woke me up. It didn't last too long and I fell right back to sleep but then I saw on the news that we'd had an earthquake and I was like, "Ohhhh, that's what woke me up!" It was weird. I've never actually felt an earthquake before and even though I was half asleep this morning, it was definitely an odd sensation to feel the walls moving like that. :eek:

Hoosier Red
04-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Felt it here in Nashville. I thought it was the cat doing her morning "laps" around the house.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that. My cats were all too upset I locked them out last night, and I was sure one of them was jumping up on a glass door.

SunDeck
04-18-2008, 12:15 PM
I think we might have just had another one. It's 11:15 am.

Playadlc
04-18-2008, 12:16 PM
I felt it to here in southern Indiana, SunDeck.

nate
04-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Just had another little aftershock here.

Sabo Fan
04-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Home for lunch right now and I felt something too. Lasted for about five seconds. Thought it was the dog scratching next to my chair but she's across the room sleeping. Weird feeling.

Cyclone792
04-18-2008, 12:28 PM
I felt it ever so slightly, looks like a 4.5 with the epicenter in the same area.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/at00853165.php

IowaRed
04-18-2008, 01:11 PM
it woke my wife up, I told her later this morning that she was probably just having a dream about me when the earth moved

Unassisted
04-18-2008, 01:22 PM
We had a magnitude 3.9 earthquake centered about 60 miles south of me, just before sunrise on Thursday morning of last week. I think I was half-awake at the time, because I was having trouble sleeping that night and I have a vague recollection of the vibration.

It sounds like yours was more impressive. :cool:

SunDeck
04-18-2008, 01:25 PM
it woke my wife up, I told her later this morning that she was probably just having a dream about me when the earth moved

You must be something- it shook the whole region. :)

KittyDuran
04-18-2008, 01:31 PM
it woke my wife up, I told her later this morning that she was probably just having a dream about me when the earth movedA listener called in a local radio program this morning and told the DJs to stop talking about the earthquake. He said that he was feeling a little "frisky" early this morning and his wife thought he made the earth move...:devil:

klw
04-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Tectonic Summary

EARTHQUAKES IN THE ILLINOIS BASIN - OZARK DOME REGION
This large region borders the much more seismically active New Madrid seismic zone on the seismic zone's north and west. The Illinois basin - Ozark dome region covers parts of Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, and Arkansas and stretches from Indianapolis and St. Louis to Memphis. Moderately frequent earthquakes occur at irregular intervals throughout the region. The largest historical earthquake in the region (magnitude 5.4) damaged southern Illinois in 1968. Moderately damaging earthquakes strike somewhere in the region each decade or two, and smaller earthquakes are felt about once or twice a year. In addition, geologists have found evidence of eight or more prehistoric earthquakes over the last 25,000 years that were much larger than any observed historically in the region.

Earthquakes in the central and eastern U.S., although less frequent than in the western U.S., are typically felt over a much broader region. East of the Rockies, an earthquake can be felt over an area as much as ten times larger than a similar magnitude earthquake on the west coast. A magnitude 4.0 eastern U.S. earthquake typically can be felt at many places as far as 100 km (60 mi) from where it occurred, and it infrequently causes damage near its source. A magnitude 5.5 eastern U.S. earthquake usually can be felt as far as 500 km (300 mi) from where it occurred, and sometimes causes damage as far away as 40 km (25 mi).

FAULTS
Earthquakes everywhere occur on faults within bedrock, usually miles deep. Most bedrock in the Illinois basin – Ozark dome region was formed as several generations of mountains rose and were eroded down again over the last billion or so years.

At well-studied plate boundaries like the San Andreas fault system in California, often scientists can determine the name of the specific fault that is responsible for an earthquake. In contrast, east of the Rocky Mountains this is rarely the case. The Illinois basin - Ozark dome region is far from the nearest plate boundaries, which are in the center of the Atlantic Ocean, in the Caribbean Sea, and in the Gulf of California. The region is laced with known faults but numerous smaller or deeply buried faults remain undetected. Even the known faults are poorly located at earthquake depths. Accordingly, few earthquakes in the region can be linked to named faults. It is difficult to determine if a known fault is still active and could slip and cause an earthquake. As in most other areas east of the Rockies, the best guide to earthquake hazards in the Illinois basin – Ozark dome region is the earthquakes themselves.

HBP
04-18-2008, 02:09 PM
The first one woke me up here in Bowling Green, but I went back to sleep. Woke up later and I thought it was just a dream I had. Didn't feel the second one here at work but some people said they did.

westofyou
04-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Richter Magnitudes Description Earthquake Effects Frequency of Occurrence

Less than 2.0 Micro Microearthquakes, not felt. About 8,000 per day
2.0-2.9 Minor Generally not felt, but recorded. About 1,000 per day
3.0-3.9 Minor Often felt, but rarely causes damage. 49,000 per year (est.)
4.0-4.9 Light Significant damage unlikely. 6,200 per year (est.)
5.0-5.9 Moderate Can cause major damage to poorly constructed buildings 800 per year
6.0-6.9 Strong Can be destructive in areas across in populated areas. 120 per year
7.0-7.9 Major Can cause serious damage over larger areas. 18 per year
8.0-8.9 Great Can cause serious damage 1 per year
9.0-9.9 Great Devastating in areas several thousand miles across. 1 per 20 years
10.0+ Great Never recorded Extremely rare (Unknown)

SunDeck
04-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Plate tectonics makes me feel pretty small.

Rojo
04-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Out here, we eat 5.4's for breakfast.:)

vaticanplum
04-18-2008, 02:27 PM
I think woy is trying to tell us that West Coast earthquakes are cooler than ours :)

edit: and Rojo is definitely trying to tell us this.

westofyou
04-18-2008, 02:32 PM
I think woy is trying to tell us that West Coast earthquakes are cooler than ours :)

Earthquakes suck, the 1989 one messed up my sleep for months and for years afterwards bumpy plane rides honed in the same panic that feeling resides in.

I'm more worried about tidal waves and volcanoes myself these days.

rotnoid
04-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Plate tectonics makes me feel pretty small.

Ditto. At the same time, there's something almost reaffirming about it.

Cyclone792
04-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Earthquakes suck, the 1989 one messed up my sleep for months and for years afterwards bumpy plane rides honed in the same panic that feeling resides in.

I've never liked plane turbulence, and actually that's a pretty good description of what it felt like this morning for me: bad plane turbulence. That may have been a reason it jolted me enough to wake up and figure out what was going on.

westofyou
04-18-2008, 02:51 PM
I've never liked plane turbulence, and actually that's a pretty good description of what it felt like this morning for me: bad plane turbulence. That may have been a reason it jolted me enough to wake up and figure out what was going on.

In 1989 I was in a coffee shop on the UCSC campus and the the building shook for 30 seconds like someone had picked up the building and were shaking it in their hands like a pair of dice. The table I was at was a big butcher block table and slammed me in chest like 4 times before I could even react.

What sucks for the Midwest is that an earthquake will surely trigger a reaction in the filth of Lake Erie and create a monumental mutation that will rise from the lake like Godzilla and wreak havoc throughout northern Ohio.

redsmetz
04-18-2008, 02:59 PM
it woke me up here in chicago...weird feeling...

Yeah, it woke up my daughter and her roommate in Valpo. She was pumped, the first earthquake she felt.

redsmetz
04-18-2008, 03:08 PM
What sucks for the Midwest is that an earthquake will surely trigger a reaction in the filth of Lake Erie and create a monumental mutation that will rise from the lake like Godzilla and wreak havoc throughout northern Ohio.

Sort of like The Cockroach That Ate Cincinnati, no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viTUhOT4d3I

RFS62
04-18-2008, 03:11 PM

Yeah, that explains Cleveland.

Rojo
04-18-2008, 03:21 PM

Everything's cooler on the West Coast.

I don't like earthquakes and I missed the big two -- Loma Prieta and Northridge. But I've had enough of the medium ones to last a lifetime. Watching your walls wave to-and-fro is not fun. I'd much rather deal with a twister, cuz I can see it.

Caveat Emperor
04-18-2008, 03:32 PM
I slept right through it.

Color me unimpressed. ;)

MrCinatit
04-18-2008, 04:18 PM
I was at work.
Was using the reach truck to put some mulch up in a top shelf - had the sucker all the way up, and I had a slight feeling of vertigo I could not explain at the time.
When I heard at lunch that we had the quake, it made sense.

GoReds33
04-18-2008, 04:25 PM
It woke me up, though I went back to sleep. I thought I was dreaming until somebody mentioned it earlier today.

Highlifeman21
04-18-2008, 04:55 PM
It wasn't an earthquake.

It was the Earth's way of showing displeasure that Juan Castro is still a Red.

*BaseClogger*
04-18-2008, 04:58 PM
did it knock that truck off it's perch in CF?

stevekun
04-18-2008, 07:48 PM
I live 20 miles from the epicenter and it did damage here....was pretty strong

reds44
04-18-2008, 08:09 PM
I woke up and looked at the clock at it was right around 4:40 (central), so I guess I now know why.

Wish I would have been up to feel it.

gm
04-18-2008, 08:42 PM

Here's a cool website. This guy predicts earthquakes based on (among other things...) high tides and newspaper reports of runaway cats.

http://www.syzygyjob.com/

NoCalRed
04-18-2008, 11:29 PM

Yeah earthquakes suck unfortunately for me living close to a geyser we get quite a bit of seimic activity. Haven't experienced anything big in this area just a bunch of small to moderate size quakes. Last summer we got one about the same size as the one that hit the midwest this morning while I was at work. That was a rather interesting quake, their usually either a drop or a shimmy this one though was a drop then a shimmy that lasted for a few seconds. Afterward it was funny to see all the heads popping out of their cubes and then the candy vending machine fell over causing the heads to duck back in to their cubes.

More worried about tidal waves and volcanoes? Is Mt. St. Helens acting up again? Think I've mentioned this before, but I actually witnessed a volcanoe eruption once and it is truly a scary event. NASA has a cool little program called worldwind http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/ that not only lets you zoom in on any town, but also look at land marks like Mt. St. Helens. The last time I looked at it you could see the lava dome inside the crater and a ploom of smoke coming out, that was a few years ago though.

BUTLER REDSFAN
04-18-2008, 11:34 PM
at approximately 11:15am today i was at work in west chester when i could have sworn the floor underneath my feet moved around on its own for about 3 seconds and i waited to see if anyone said anything but no1 did...i told my boss about it later in the day and i was the only one who reported anything?!?( i work approximately in the middle of the floor that i work on if that makes a difference)..then i find out later on there was an aftershock right around 1115am

jmac
04-19-2008, 10:01 AM
I was already at work friday morning as we start at 4 am central.
Most everyone on our shift was on a third story floor doing a wharehouse type inventory.
Needless to say, the whole floor began swaying back and forth and we even had some product vibrate out on the floor.
It was a very un-nerving experience.

Rojo
04-19-2008, 05:45 PM
That was a rather interesting quake, their usually either a drop or a shimmy this one though was a drop then a shimmy that lasted for a few seconds.

I maintain there's a third type -- rollers. One of these hit as I was in a Tower Records in LA. You could hardly tell it was a earthquake. I just thought I was getting light-headed until I saw everyone in the store look up from the bins.

Rojo
04-19-2008, 05:50 PM
More worried about tidal waves and volcanoes? Is Mt. St. Helens acting up again?

This could be his concern:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_Caldera

RFS62
04-19-2008, 06:13 PM
I maintain there's a third type -- rollers. One of these hit as I was in a Tower Records in LA. You could hardly tell it was a earthquake. I just thought I was getting light-headed until I saw everyone in the store look up from the bins.

Yep. Paso Robles back in 2003 was a roller. I was miles away in LA and felt it sitting in a chair.

remdog
04-20-2008, 05:22 AM
Even though I had been living in California for some time the first earthquake I ever experienced was when I was back in Cincinnati visiting friends. My buddy and I were sitting in his den watching a Reds game and I thought his wife was vaccuming upstairs. It's sort of strange to be a resident of California but to experience your first earthquake in Ft. Thomas, KY.

There is a major fault located about 10 miles west of Evansville, IN called the Caborn Fault because it runs under Caborn, IN----a town that was founded by ancestors of mine and bears my family name.

So, I guess you could say, this is all my fault! :lol::lol:

Rem

Cyclone792
12-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Unlike the 2008 Illinois quake - which is the quake that started this thread - I didn't feel this morning's quake. Original readings from this morning's quake came in at 4.2 centered near Kokomo, IN (north of Indy), but it looks like revised readings are showing a 3.8 quake.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20101230/NEWS01/312290005/1196/NEWS/Earthquake-tremors-felt-here

I know we've got some RedsZone folks up around that area. Anybody feel it up there or in Cincy?

westofyou
12-30-2010, 11:11 AM
It woke up my friend in Ft. Wayne, but not her kids or husband

12-30-2010, 11:17 AM
I an in Terre Haute, and if it was felt here, I was sleeping. There are reports of it being felt in the county east of here. I am directly west if Indianapolis on the Indiana-Illinois border.

reds1869
12-30-2010, 01:21 PM
I felt it in downtown Cincinnati in my 17th floor apartment. Really minor shaking but my wife who was still in bed woke up because of it.

westofyou
12-30-2010, 02:05 PM
199 years ago on 12/16 the New Madrid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1812_New_Madrid_earthquake) quake occurred

SunDeck
12-30-2010, 02:16 PM
I was riding in to work, didn't feel it. Lots of people here did, though. I really felt the one a couple years ago- what a unique and weird sensation.

Hoosier Red
12-30-2010, 04:33 PM
That's weird. I didn't feel a thing. I was getting ready for work and heard about today's on my drive in. I'm probably the closest of anyone on the list.

medford
12-30-2010, 05:34 PM
My wife called me at work, towards the end of the conversation, she said "don't think me weird, but when I was writting thank you notes to my students, it felt like the house shook a bit, it was really odd" I told her she wasn't wierd, there was indeed an earthquake this morning. We live just southh of Dayton.