PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comments from JR

klw
04-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Per Trent

Ken Griffey Jr. chided Hopper and Ryan Freel for their free-swinging ways.

"Can you give me enough time to get my left batting glove on," Griffey said, referring to Thursday's game against the Cubs when the two combined to see three pitches before him in the first and fifth innings.

After both players made outs on the first or second pitch, Griffey said he had to take at least the first pitch.

"Everyone in the place knew I wasn't swinging," Griffey said. "He threw an 81 mph fastball (right down the middle). The catcher threw it back to him harder."

In the fifth inning, he said he made sure to take extra time to get to the plate and then between pitches.

"I looked up there and my man (Volquez) had 100 pitches," Griffey said. "I knew he needed some rest."

Junior also gave Volquez some grief as he watched the young starter go out for batting practice -- "didn't you get enough swings in yesterday?" Griffey said to Volquez, who smiled and said no. Volquez and fellow starter Johnny Cueto have shown off their big swings early this season, taking the theory of swinging hard just in case they hit something.

Looks like JR is making sure that someone is trying to work a count. I don't recall hearing if the Reds have a Kangeroo Court anymore. Have those faded away over the years? Does anyone know if the Reds are operating one these days?

Screwball
04-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Great to see.

I kind of notcied Griffey took his time getting into and then set in the batter's box after Hopper and Freel went first pitch hacking. I think in one inning the WGN broadcast didn't even have enough time to get back from commercial before Hopper made the first out of the inning (of course a first pitch pop-up). It was refreshing to see somebody up there making the opposing pitcher labor a little, 'cuz Lord knows the Cubs were doing that to Volquez.

OnBaseMachine
04-18-2008, 06:14 PM
I was just about to post that. About time someone calls them out for this. I don't mind someone like a Dunn, or Griffey, or Votto swinging at the first pitch because they obviously have the power to knock the ball out of the park. Freel and Hopper on the other hand have zero power and need to work the count more often. Through 27 PA's, Hopper is seeing 2.56 P/PA. That is pitiful. I'm shocked to find Freel is seeing 3.63 P/PA. That's actually not too bad but it's surprising considering he swings at the first pitch nearly every time but luckily for him he usually fouls it off, which is why high P/PA is a little higher.

klw
04-18-2008, 06:20 PM
I was just about to post that. About time someone calls them out for this. I don't mind someone like a Dunn, or Griffey, or Votto swinging at the first pitch because they obviously have the power to knock the ball out of the park. Freel and Hopper on the other hand have zero power and need to work the count more often. Through 27 PA's, Hopper is seeing 2.56 P/PA. That is pitiful. I'm shocked to find Freel is seeing 3.63 P/PA. That's actually not too bad but it's surprising considering he swings at the first pitch nearly every time but luckily for him he usually fouls it off, which is why high P/PA is a little higher.

Both of their P/PA rates are down significantly from their career averages. Even taking in this year's numbers, Hopper has a career 3.22 p/pa and Freel is at 4.00 p/pa.

Reds as a team are seeing 3.70 p/pa while throwing 3.93 p/pa. NL average is 3.81. Last year the Reds were at 3.76 p/pa.
Most patient series was against the Diamondbacks while they had no patience in Pittsburgh.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/aggregate?sort=pitchesPerPlateAppearance&split=17&group=9&season=2008&seasonType=2&statType=pitching&type=exp2

GADawg
04-18-2008, 06:34 PM
tough call there...I'd say both guys are pretty anxious to make something happen considering they're getting fewer ab's....otoh they might want to take a few pitches just to stand up there in the spotlight a little longer!;)

reds44
04-18-2008, 07:04 PM
He is right on with what he is saying, no doubt about that.