PDA

View Full Version : Coffey to the DL?

RedsManRick
04-18-2008, 10:24 PM
Coffey just got hit by a comebacker to the shin. What are the odds he goes on the DL with a "contusion" to make room on the roster for Belisle? Anybody?

*BaseClogger*
04-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Can somebody hit a ball at Juan Castro? :D

klw
04-18-2008, 11:12 PM
How did he look tonight? His line looked solid.

Highlifeman21
04-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Coffey just got hit by a comebacker to the shin. What are the odds he goes on the DL with a "contusion" to make room on the roster for Belisle? Anybody?

It would provide some roster flexibility, to say the least.

Kc61
04-19-2008, 09:22 AM
How did he look tonight? His line looked solid.

Coffey has looked much better the last two games. He's been a mop up pitcher for Dusty and has had a lot of opportunities lately. To me, he looks like he's getting back on track.

Isn't it odd but right now the bullpen may be the best part of this team.

I thought Coffey would go down to AAA when Belisle comes up, now I'm not so sure it's the right move. Don't know about the DL suggestion.

RedlegJake
04-19-2008, 11:03 AM
The best of the bullpen are a lot like the young starters, guys who have talent but will take some lumps like Coffey and Burton. When you add Pelland, Bray and Roenicke and maybe Viola ( although he is looking bad so far) the future looks pretty good. And 08 continues to look too young and NYA (not yet arrived).

Reds1
04-19-2008, 11:32 AM
He was better, but by no means perfect. Mop up roll is one thing, but with guys only going 5 innings we need more from Coffey in the clutch :)

Kc61
04-19-2008, 12:54 PM
He was better, but by no means perfect. Mop up roll is one thing, but with guys only going 5 innings we need more from Coffey in the clutch :)

I don't see Coffey pitching in "clutch" situations very soon. Dusty obviously views him as a guy who fills innings when the game is not close. For now, that's ok with me. He is still a young pitcher and does have one very strong ability -- he can pitch multi-innings and do it often.

After watching Todd the last couple of games, I have come around to the view that the Reds should keep him on the team. The team has the potential for an exciting young bullpen soon with (in addition to Cordero) Burton, Coffey, Affeldt, Bray, Roenicke, Pelland, Viola, Lutz.

Reds1
04-19-2008, 01:50 PM
I don't see Coffey pitching in "clutch" situations very soon. Dusty obviously views him as a guy who fills innings when the game is not close. For now, that's ok with me. He is still a young pitcher and does have one very strong ability -- he can pitch multi-innings and do it often.

After watching Todd the last couple of games, I have come around to the view that the Reds should keep him on the team. The team has the potential for an exciting young bullpen soon with (in addition to Cordero) Burton, Coffey, Affeldt, Bray, Roenicke, Pelland, Viola, Lutz.

Yes, I agree. It was actually a joke as Brantley did on EE saying he wasn't clutch before the walk off HR. I agree with you totally. These starters need to go longer though. This bullpen will be wiped out.

RedlegJake
04-19-2008, 02:59 PM
These starters need to go longer though. This bullpen will be wiped out.

Huge, imo. I don't care who you have in the pen, if your starters are only going 5 or 6 night after night the pen is going to end up ineffective from overuse. Harang can't have too many bombs and Belisle/Arroyo MUST start geting into the 7th inning. EV and Cueto are going to (hopefully) be strictly monitored and out early most starts so the vets must step it up.

redsrule2500
04-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Coffey looks good in stress-free situations...anyone else notice that?