PDA

View Full Version : Defending Norris Hopper

dsmith421
04-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Sat in the proverbial Moon Deck tonight, and I noticed something incredible.

When Hopper stepped into the box in the first inning, Corey Hart literally walked 50 feet toward the plate. I looked to my right, and Gross and Braun were doing the same. Hardy edged toward the base, and Counsell stood on the infield grass.

I recognized this alignment from somewhere.

Then it hit me. You know how every Co-Ed softball team has the one quasi-attractive girl that is matched up with a guy on the team despite no discernible athletic ability? That probably wears pink socks up to her knee? That can't hit the ball past the pitcher?

That's the defensive alignment we adopt against her.

Mutaman
04-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Was it just me, or was the entire ground level crowd (in the MLB feed) made up of 15 year old kids who spent the entire game talking on their cell phones, making faces at the camera, and trying to start a wave. Who were these people?

forfreelin04
04-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Was it just me, or was the entire ground level crowd (in the MLB feed) made up of 15 year old kids who spent the entire game talking on their cell phones, making faces at the camera, and trying to start a wave. Who were these people?

A Friday night crowd, with nothing better to do than watch the ole Reds team choke on another one?

forfreelin04
04-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Sat in the proverbial Moon Deck tonight, and I noticed something incredible.

When Hopper stepped into the box in the first inning, Corey Hart literally walked 50 feet toward the plate. I looked to my right, and Gross and Braun were doing the same. Hardy edged toward the base, and Counsell stood on the infield grass.

I recognized this alignment from somewhere.

Then it hit me. You know how every Co-Ed softball team has the one quasi-attractive girl that is matched up with a guy on the team despite no discernible athletic ability? That probably wears pink socks up to her knee? That can't hit the ball past the pitcher?

That's the defensive alignment we adopt against her.

Hopper serves no pragmatic purpose on the Reds team. He is fast and he is a good bunter but other than that he brings nothing to the table. But that's like saying a co-worker is never late and is always properly dressed, but has a poor work ethic.

killuminati35
04-18-2008, 10:52 PM
I wouldn't mind hopper as much if he would get on base and actually use his speed -- his only real talent. But instead he refuses to take pitches in order to work a walk, and inevitably pops up the first or second pitch he sees.

forfreelin04
04-18-2008, 10:53 PM
To by-pass the bad luck of post 666 I offer another post.

Norris Hopper is a AAA player who serves as player who is brough up in September on a good team who has a chance at the playoffs. He can run in situations like a Dave Roberts type for BoSox circa 2004. He can also provide a situtional bunt or an occasional defensive replacement when up by a run or two in the ninth. However, I almost disagree with myself on that point. He takes horrible first steps on the hard hit balls to the outfield. Like stated before, having a good bunter is like being a professional magician who can only pull the quarter out of your ear.

forfreelin04
04-18-2008, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't mind hopper as much if he would get on base and actually use his speed -- his only real talent. But instead he refuses to take pitches in order to work a walk, and inevitably pops up the first or second pitch he sees.

I agree killuminati35. Its very frustrating. Could they not find a player who can AT LEAST it 3 homers a year? Just some POP! I mean its the major freaking leagues!

AmarilloRed
04-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Norris Hopper hit .329 in half a season last year by getting a lot of bunt hits and attempting to get infield hits. It should come as no surprise that teams realize this and adopt a strategy to counter-act this. Norris Hopper will simply need to make the necessary adjustments.

forfreelin04
04-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Norris Hopper hit .329 in half a season last year by getting a lot of bunt hits and attempting to get infield hits. It should come as no surprise that teams realize this and adopt a strategy to counter-act this. Norris Hopper will simply need to make the necessary adjustments.

Kind of like teams laying off Bronson Arroyo's offspeed non-strikes?

Hopper cannot make the adjustments because he is incapable of hitting the ball in the outfield with any authority.

Jefferson24
04-18-2008, 11:09 PM
I like Hopper but be is not capable of hitting .320 this season. If he could, no problem keep him. Teams have figured him out and he is no more than an AAA player at this point.

Kingspoint
04-18-2008, 11:40 PM
How was the game?

TheOnlyRedsFan
04-19-2008, 12:02 AM
Most of the one side was an elementary school

NDReds9
04-19-2008, 01:07 AM
Hopper serves no pragmatic purpose on the Reds team. He is fast and he is a good bunter but other than that he brings nothing to the table. But that's like saying a co-worker is never late and is always properly dressed, but has a poor work ethic.

The Reds' best stretch last year came with Hopper and Keppinger 1 and 2.

Hopper will hit .310-.330, get on base at a near-.390 clip, and play nearly flawless defense.

dsmith421
04-19-2008, 02:28 AM
Hopper will hit .310-.330, get on base at a near-.390 clip, and play nearly flawless defense.

I'll wager whatever you care to offer that Norris Hopper's OBP is lower than .390 this season.

dsmith421
04-19-2008, 02:57 AM
He is fast and he is a good bunter but other than that he brings nothing to the table. ].

I'm pretty sure he's not even fast.

MasonBuzz3
04-19-2008, 09:57 AM
The Reds' best stretch last year came with Hopper and Keppinger 1 and 2.

flawless defense? are you talking about the Norris Hopper that is on the Reds? the one who routinely takes horrific routes on balls hit to the outfield?

dougflynn23
04-19-2008, 10:32 AM
I have no issue with Norris Hopper as a platoon starter or 4th OF. He's a mile better a baseball player than Ryan Freel, and deserves 300-350 AB's. He will hit .290+ with no outstanding qualities in that role.

It will be interesting to see what happens in 2009 if/when Dunn and Junior are allowed to walk. I see a world where Encarnacion moves to LF, Bruce in RF, and Dickerson/Hopper in CF with the Reds going after a RH 3B with pop.

bgwilly31
04-19-2008, 12:54 PM
I have no issue with Norris Hopper as a platoon starter or 4th OF. He's a mile better a baseball player than Ryan Freel, and deserves 300-350 AB's. He will hit .290+ with no outstanding qualities in that role.

It will be interesting to see what happens in 2009 if/when Dunn and Junior are allowed to walk. I see a world where Encarnacion moves to LF, Bruce in RF, and Dickerson/Hopper in CF with the Reds going after a RH 3B with pop.

Hopper is not worlds better than freel. Simple numbers can tell you that.

As for HOPPER> Im sitting here at work listening to the inside PITCH.

And bill is here dogging on D.BAKER for our loss last night. My initial reaction is "Sheesh are we cubs fans now. Is everything the managers fault?"

He basically pin points the entire blame for the loss on one call.

Bases loaded 2 outs bottom of the 8th. Takes out hopper to hit C.Patterson instead.

Thoughts on that move?

Ive got no problems with it. Sure Hopper might look at a few more pitches. But Hopper has ZERO chance of jacking one at that moment.