PDA

View Full Version : I do something like that, you do not challenge me.-Marty

DoogMinAmo
04-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Overheard in the top of the 1st from Marty as he covered the mic. Any clue what he was talking about, to whom?

Context: Right before that I think Brantley said strike while Marty said ball?

George Anderson
04-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Nobody wearing a pink shirt should ever talk tough to someone bigger then him.

Matt700wlw
04-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Nobody told Rob Butcher about the Fogg news, so when Marty said it, Butcher freaked out and came rolling into the booth....and I guess Marty didn't like his tone, and being questioned when he was told by the manager to go ahead and use that information.

All is fine now :)

He was trying to get Jeff to take over the call....I think that's where the "ball" "strike" thing happened....Jeff was taking over, while Marty was trying to do his job while tending to Rob's issue.

VR
04-19-2008, 02:44 PM
I heard that. They were upset with their "Soulman" routine getting interupted.....tell it like it is bra:cool:

http://blogs.tampabay.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/12/07/soulman2.jpg

Bob Borkowski
04-20-2008, 07:31 PM
I was driving with the car radio on and wasn't paying strict attention when this happened so I caught only the last sentence or so of Marty's tirade.

Could someone refer me to a recorded version of this or can you give me a sanitized version of what he said?

Thanks in advance. You guys always seem to come through on requests like this. :)

Team Clark
04-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Nobody told Rob Butcher about the Fogg news, so when Marty said it, Butcher freaked out and came rolling into the booth....and I guess Marty didn't like his tone, and being questioned when he was told by the manager to go ahead and use that information.

He was trying to get Jeff to take over the call....I think that's where the "ball" "strike" thing happened....Jeff was taking over, while Marty was trying to do his job while tending to Rob's issue.

Do you have a link to that or is that protected by MLB media? Just curious.

Matt700wlw
04-20-2008, 08:12 PM
MLB's in charge of the game archives....I have nothing.

buckeyenut
04-20-2008, 10:02 PM

Maybe this is enough to get Butcher fired? :eek:

WVRedsFan
04-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Maybe this is enough to get Butcher fired? :eek:

Interesting.

I've heard so many conflicting reports on Rob Butcher. Once in awhile I'll hear from someone that he's the best PR guy in the business and then I'll hear what a hack he is.

If he challenged any broadcaster, whether it was Marty, Jeff, Vin Scully, or anyone while they were on the air, that's the height of disrespect and arrogance. I don't blame Marty one bit. It could have waited until the next break or whatever.

Crosley68
04-20-2008, 11:17 PM
On the TV side today, the "boys" were singing Butcher's sainthood song......I bet TeamClark got a stabbing sensation about the same time....what ya say TC?

johngalt
04-20-2008, 11:43 PM
I was driving with the car radio on and wasn't paying strict attention when this happened so I caught only the last sentence or so of Marty's tirade.

Could someone refer me to a recorded version of this or can you give me a sanitized version of what he said?

Thanks in advance. You guys always seem to come through on requests like this. :)

At first, you could hear Marty in the background saying "Do you think I'm f***ing stupid?" then a few seconds later was when he said "Don't ever challenge me on something like that again."

I wasn't quite sure what it was about either. Interesting that Butcher ran over there so quickly.

Team Clark
04-21-2008, 01:27 AM
On the TV side today, the "boys" were singing Butcher's sainthood song......I bet TeamClark got a stabbing sensation about the same time....what ya say TC?

Usually I just roll my eyes. Sometimes I dry heave, Marty's comments today made me smile like a proud father. :thumbup:

MWM
04-21-2008, 01:48 AM
Gawd, Marty can't retire soon enough for me. I'm no Butcher fan (he's a terrible PR guy), but the whole, "Don't ever challenge me again" bravado is so typical Marty these days. I don't think there's anyone in the sport with a more deluded perception of his own importance than Marty Brenneman. The sad thing is, he used to a total professional, and that's what he's lost that saddens me the most. He lacks the professionalism that his profession calls for.

Mainspark
04-21-2008, 01:55 AM
It was difficult to hear; my immediate thought was that Marty had turned off his microphone and we were hearing his "private" conversation with Butcher through Brantley's mike.
I didn't hear Butcher's end of the conversation. I also didn't hear Marty drop the f-bomb, although that certainly doesn't mean it didn't happen.
To paraphrase Marty (or at least what I could hear of Marty), he told Butcher not to come in and challenge something he's said while he's on the air.
He expressed irritation that Butcher would assume he would make such a pronouncement (Belisle being called up, Fogg to the bullpen) without being certain of its accuracy.
And he said (and I heard this clearly), "I know because Dusty Baker told me so."
It's Marty's booth; he was on the air live when Butcher stormed in; I have no problem with his reaction. I don't believe he intended it to be heard by the radio audience.
This isn't the first time (Stanton's pending release comes to mind) that Dusty has refused to play the Krivsky/Butcher "cone of silence" charade. Hats off to him as well.

WVRedsFan
04-21-2008, 02:26 AM
Gawd, Marty can't retire soon enough for me. I'm no Butcher fan (he's a terrible PR guy), but the whole, "Don't ever challenge me again" bravado is so typical Marty these days. I don't think there's anyone in the sport with a more deluded perception of his own importance than Marty Brenneman. The sad thing is, he used to a total professional, and that's what he's lost that saddens me the most. He lacks the professionalism that his profession calls for.

What?

Some guys storms into the booth during a live radio broadcast and challenges what you've said. First of all, it was totally inappropriate for Butcher to come in and tell Marty he was wrong during live mike. Secondly, from what I heard, Butcher kept running his mouth and Marty felt the need to stop that then and there. Who's the professional here? How many would have gone on with pbp with that going on?

If you don't like Marty, fine, but this was a case of a PR guy doing something that's unheard of in broadcasting. Try that at ESPN or any major network and see what happens. I've been there and I know. I've seen it first hand and it's handled off the air and not during the broadcast.

Ltlabner
04-21-2008, 08:08 AM
Someone could come into the booth while Marty was on the air and wack him in the head with a frying pan. There are some who would complain if Marty said "ow".

MWM
04-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Just because Butcher was wrong, doesn't mean Marty handled it well either. It's the whole, "I'm Marty Brenneman" mentality he has that that leads him to pull the whole, "don't ever challenege me again" attitude. He could have handled it with class and professionalism, but instead he chose to be Marty.

MWM
04-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Someone could come into the booth while Marty was on the air and wack him in the head with a frying pan. There are some who would complain if Marty said "ow".

Yep, and Marty could swear on the air for 10 minutes and there are some that would just dismiss is Marty telling it lke it is. Cuts both ways.

Hap
04-21-2008, 11:02 AM
I recall a similar situation back on 4/7/02 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2002/B04070CIN2002.htm) when Griffey's knee gave out whilst he was in a rundown betwixt third and home.

Marty had been pressuring someone to get him an injury report. He was eventually handed a handwritten note from someone that said only "SUBLUX RIGHT KNEE".

Marty asked "What the he11 does this mean?", and when s/he did not know s/he was told something to the effect of, "Well then get the he11 out of here and quit wasting my time!!!"

Marty found out later that the note meant "subluxation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subluxation)" which is a partial dislocation of a joint. He then ranted again for several minutes, upset that the first note should have explained just that and not simply said "SUBLUX".

REDREAD
04-21-2008, 11:22 AM

They now have that silly feature about "Ask Marty anything" during the game.
Someone asked about his thoughts on Cub fans, obviously trying to stir Marty up again. It's so funny.. Marty as always tries to pretend to take the high road, and said "I've said all I'm going to say on that".. and then he got going again. He happened to have some writer's column that partially agreed with MArty and went on and on.

Personally, I think it's classless of Marty to blast another teams fans.
Marty did say something like "Well, I was only talking about the bad ones" which leads me to believe someone talked to Marty about that.

Still Marty loves stirring up the pot and drawing attention to himself. In his mind, he's much more important than the trivial baseball game going on , and people are tuning in to hear the Marty talk show (as opposed to what's going on in the field).

westofyou
04-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Yep, and Marty could swear on the air for 10 minutes and there are some that would just dismiss is Marty telling it lke it is. Cuts both ways.

Yep... he has his gladiators doesn't he?

I dumped him... I can't listen to him as much as I used to and the presence of Brantley (THE worst PbP guy I have EVER heard) makes that an even easier decision.

REDREAD
04-21-2008, 02:23 PM

That's called "Telling it like it is" ;)

SunDeck
04-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Sounds like neither of them acted very professionally; Butcher for storming the booth and Marty for making it all about himself and his bigness. What Butcher did was wrong and Marty could have made the point that it's never appropriate to walk in on an open mike, whether the person on air, is himself, Thom or anyone else without all the histrionics.

I agree with NWM, it's typical Marty to pull is HOF routine and turn it into a "Nobody disrespects me and lives to tell about it" routine.

flyer85
04-21-2008, 05:32 PM
I wonder if Marty has his shirt on.

WVRedsFan
04-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Sounds like neither of them acted very professionally; Butcher for storming the booth and Marty for making it all about himself and his bigness. What Butcher did was wrong and Marty could have made the point that it's never appropriate to walk in on an open mike, whether the person on air, is himself, Thom or anyone else without all the histrionics.

I agree with NWM, it's typical Marty to pull is HOF routine and turn it into a "Nobody disrespects me and lives to tell about it" routine.

Arrogant? Yes. That's well known about Marty. And I agree that two wrongs do not make a right. But it still gripes me that Butcher came in while they were on the air and apparently made a scene. Marty reacted like a lot of people would have. Not good, but expected. Bet it doesn't happen again.

Ga_Red
04-21-2008, 05:53 PM
After watching MB stand in the sun for hour after hour talking to fans of all ages at ST, he can do no wrong as
far as I'm concerned. That doesn't make him a perfect angel, but it does show he's anything but a prima donna.

SunDeck
04-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Arrogant? Yes. That's well known about Marty. And I agree that two wrongs do not make a right. But it still gripes me that Butcher came in while they were on the air and apparently made a scene. Marty reacted like a lot of people would have. Not good, but expected. Bet it doesn't happen again.

I disagree- a small minded person reacts the way he did. A person who doesn't have ego issues deals with the problem professionally. Now, what we don't know is the history between the two, which in most circumstances is the real issue. Nevertheless, we are talking about this only because Marty was not able to keep it off the air himself.

TRF
04-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Matt will defend everything Marty does. I won't.

However, I was in the TV biz for almost 15 years. I never had anyone interrupt a newscast because someone got a fact wrong. It's always cleared up in spots or the next cast. Had Butcher tried to go through my control room when I was directing, I'd have had him banned from touching the damn door.

You absolutely do not EVER do that to an announcer/anchor. ever. Their credibility is all they have. If they make a mistake, they have to be the ones to correct themselves on the air, not a third party.

Sorry, I think Marty is a horrible spokesperson for the Reds. I think Brantley (The guy is NOT clutch!) is worse. But what Butcher did warranted a reprimand at the very least.

TRF
04-21-2008, 06:32 PM
I disagree- a small minded person reacts the way he did. A person who doesn't have ego issues deals with the problem professionally. Now, what we don't know is the history between the two, which in most circumstances is the real issue. Nevertheless, we are talking about this only because Marty was not able to keep it off the air himself.

Totally disagree. He's got seconds to react to the play on the field and some jerk-store comes barging in and yells at him for info he didn't get? He's lucky the O'l lefthander wasn't there, rest his soul, as he'd likely have gotten decked.

SMcGavin
04-21-2008, 08:07 PM
the presence of Brantley (THE worst PbP guy I have EVER heard) makes that an even easier decision.

Agree 100%.

Matt700wlw
04-21-2008, 08:10 PM
For the record, Jeff Brantley isn't a PBP guy, he's an analyst who is having to do 3 innings of play by play because of the way it's structured.

Big Klu
04-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Yep... he has his gladiators doesn't he?

I dumped him... I can't listen to him as much as I used to and the presence of Brantley (THE worst PbP guy I have EVER heard) makes that an even easier decision.

I had high hopes for Brantley, and I still think he's OK at color commentary, but he's way over his head on play-by-play. On the other hand, I thought that Marty and Chris Welsh worked really well together in the one game they worked during the first week of the season.

westofyou
04-21-2008, 08:42 PM
For the record, Jeff Brantley isn't a PBP guy, he's an analyst who is having to do 3 innings of play by play because of the way it's structured.
Yes I know.. but just because it 's happening doesn't make it anymore right.. or palatable.

It's 2nd rate.

Cedric
04-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Marty is one of the most down to earth, nicest guys you could ever meet. I don't understand why people are talking about class on this thread and yet they are judging someone based on such small info. It's hard to not to feel you have a strong voice when you have been around as Marty. I'm a little surprised at how personal people get with this stuff.

And Steve Stewart was hardly decent, I can understand them trying something different even though it hasn't worked. I just wish Welsh and Marty could work together on the radio. Brantley forgets he isn't on tv a lot.

REDREAD
04-22-2008, 12:25 AM
I had high hopes for Brantley, and I still think he's OK at color commentary, but he's way over his head on play-by-play. On the other hand, I thought that Marty and Chris Welsh worked really well together in the one game they worked during the first week of the season.

Actually, I don't mind Brantley's play by play. The accent doesn't bother me. I prefer the part of the game where Marty takes a break and only Brantley talks.

SMcGavin
04-22-2008, 12:58 AM

Right. I don't mind him as an analyst, when he talks about pitching mechanics it is pretty interesting, I just think he is awful at doing PBP.

Big Klu
04-22-2008, 01:24 AM
Actually, I don't mind Brantley's play by play. The accent doesn't bother me. I prefer the part of the game where Marty takes a break and only Brantley talks.

His accent doesn't bother me, either. (I actually like the folksy sound of an announcer with a Southern accent.) But his delivery and cadence just aren't there. I think he is much better when he is adding color to Marty's play-by-play, instead of trying to describe the action himself. Maybe he will improve, though.

WVRedsFan
04-22-2008, 01:39 AM

Brantley isn't good, but I'm old enought to remember those first two seasons with Joe Nuxhall. I listened to him the first couple of years and thought he probably was the worst I'd ever heard. We had had Waite Hoyt, Al Michaels, and others who were so good and then we get this former ballplayer who fumbled words, got excited, and was boring as anyone could be. I came to love him.

I'm not sure I'll lvoe Jeff Brantley, but I'm willing to give him a chance.

And yes. Marty and Chris were a good team beause he kept the Creeper from talking non-stop.

And I do not miss George Grande. Just thought I'd mention that.:D

Ron Madden
04-22-2008, 03:56 AM
Totally disagree. He's got seconds to react to the play on the field and some jerk-store comes barging in and yells at him for info he didn't get? He's lucky the O'l lefthander wasn't there, rest his soul, as he'd likely have gotten decked.

Nobody heard Butcher come barging in and start yelling at Marty.

We all heard and were wittness to the superego of Marty.

(JMHO)

RedsFan75
04-22-2008, 10:32 AM
And I do not miss George Grande. Just thought I'd mention that.:D

Did I miss something big... I just thought he was taking some games off from the booth...

Oh... I don't miss him either.
;)

Sea Ray
04-22-2008, 01:12 PM
However, I was in the TV biz for almost 15 years. I never had anyone interrupt a newscast because someone got a fact wrong. It's always cleared up in spots or the next cast. Had Butcher tried to go through my control room when I was directing, I'd have had him banned from touching the damn door.

Wasn't that what was done in this case? I thought this was picked up as they were coming back from a commercial or while Marty was off air.

Sea Ray
04-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Right. I don't mind him as an analyst, when he talks about pitching mechanics it is pretty interesting, I just think he is awful at doing PBP.

He's better at PBP than Joe. How quickly we forget.

I may be in the minority but I think our overall team of Grande, Welsh, and the three B's are better than we've ever had in this town. If only the team on the field was as good...

George Anderson
04-22-2008, 01:53 PM

I may be in the minority but I think our overall team of Grande, Welsh, and the three B's are better than we've ever had in this town. If only the team on the field was as good...

I agree, Brantley is very bad at PBP but he is bound to get better. The thing I like about Brantley is he has very good knowledge on the game. I liked Steve Stewart but he and Marty were a bad combination because neither had the insight that a former player does. I would rather suffer listening to a knowledgeable Brantley and his poor PBP than listening to someone like Stewart who does good PBP but never played the game.

westofyou
04-22-2008, 02:03 PM

So if mud tastes better than dirt.. should we be happy?

flyer85
04-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Marty has poofy hair and a BIG ego ... I'm :shocked:

Unassisted
04-22-2008, 02:17 PM
I have been wondering how much trouble Marty would be in if a listener who heard the F-bomb filed a complaint with the FCC (http://www.fcc.gov/eb/oip/Compl.html)?

REDREAD
04-22-2008, 02:18 PM
I agree, Brantley is very bad at PBP but he is bound to get better. The thing I like about Brantley is he has very good knowledge on the game.

Maybe Brantley's pacing on play by play isn't ideal as some have said, but at least he seems interested in what is going on. That was Steve's biggest weakness, IMO. Steve just seemed to have little life or emotion in him.

The best thing about Joe is that he helped keeped Marty in line a little bit.
Marty would start a rant and sometimes Joe could bring the attention back to the game where it belonged. Brantley and Thom often join in Marty's rant and egg him on. That's why I enjoy Brantley more as a solo act.

Steve tried to stand up to Marty a few times but wasn't able to pull it off and became MArty's doormat.

TRF
04-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Wasn't that what was done in this case? I thought this was picked up as they were coming back from a commercial or while Marty was off air.

Don't know, didn't hear it. But Butcher stormed in without all the facts. And he apparently did so in a manner that cheesed Marty. All he had to do was ask who he got the info from and leave. In fact, that's ALL he should have done. Ask a question, leave, then speak to Krivsky.

Chip R
04-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Doesn't sound like either guy covered himself in glory here.

TOBTTReds
04-22-2008, 04:28 PM
outside of this one incident...why do some of you think Butcher is a terrible PR guy? Why would he be chosen for the WBC if that was case, or the All-Star games?

MartyFan
04-22-2008, 05:03 PM
It was difficult to hear; my immediate thought was that Marty had turned off his microphone and we were hearing his "private" conversation with Butcher through Brantley's mike.
I didn't hear Butcher's end of the conversation. I also didn't hear Marty drop the f-bomb, although that certainly doesn't mean it didn't happen.
To paraphrase Marty (or at least what I could hear of Marty), he told Butcher not to come in and challenge something he's said while he's on the air.
He expressed irritation that Butcher would assume he would make such a pronouncement (Belisle being called up, Fogg to the bullpen) without being certain of its accuracy.
And he said (and I heard this clearly), "I know because Dusty Baker told me so."
It's Marty's booth; he was on the air live when Butcher stormed in; I have no problem with his reaction. I don't believe he intended it to be heard by the radio audience.
This isn't the first time (Stanton's pending release comes to mind) that Dusty has refused to play the Krivsky/Butcher "cone of silence" charade. Hats off to him as well.

I'm with you.

Nothing is more irritating to a talent then getting the call on the "hotline" or having some pinhead over their shoulder while they are in the middle of their job...wait till after the game or the next meeting to correct this sort of thing if it is an issue or at LEAST until the commercial break.

Having been in that situation with a couple PD's and GM's myself in the past I know that little spat you heard on the radio is nothing compared to a blow up I heard at WLVQ one morning in the mid-80's when the PD of the station walked in to correct Pat and Wags...it was ON LIKE DONKEY KONG...and the mics were open and NOBODY cared whose feelings got hurt...I was producing their show at that time and I laughed so stinkin hard I cried!

Big Klu
04-22-2008, 09:07 PM
I'm with you.

Nothing is more irritating to a talent then getting the call on the "hotline" or having some pinhead over their shoulder while they are in the middle of their job...wait till after the game or the next meeting to correct this sort of thing if it is an issue or at LEAST until the commercial break.

Having been in that situation with a couple PD's and GM's myself in the past I know that little spat you heard on the radio is nothing compared to a blow up I heard at WLVQ one morning in the mid-80's when the PD of the station walked in to correct Pat and Wags...it was ON LIKE DONKEY KONG...and the mics were open and NOBODY cared whose feelings got hurt...I was producing their show at that time and I laughed so stinkin hard I cried!

Ahhh...Q-FM 96, Rockin' Columbus for over 30 years!

OldRightHander
04-22-2008, 09:39 PM
The funniest one I can remember was a few years ago when my wife and I were driving through West Virginia listening to the game on a Charleston station. I think the local break between innings wasn't as long as on WLW and they cut back too early. I heard a few seconds of Marty and Joe talking about the upcoming half inning and Joe said that Russell Branyan was going to lead off the inning. Marty then said, "Oh, Russell the love muscle."

Team Clark
04-23-2008, 09:49 AM
outside of this one incident...why do some of you think Butcher is a terrible PR guy? Why would he be chosen for the WBC if that was case, or the All-Star games?

A VERY close realtionship with Pat Courtney at MLB. Two peas in a pod.