PDA

View Full Version : Weathers Leaves Game With Elbow Injury

reds44
04-19-2008, 05:15 PM
That didn't look good at all.

jesusfan
04-19-2008, 05:20 PM
no it didn't... Weathers isn't having the best year but he did have a great year last season and you never want to see that to happen to anyone. I guess that solves the problem of who goes down when Belisle comes up Monday.

Reds Freak
04-19-2008, 05:24 PM
no it didn't... Weathers isn't having the best year but he did have a great year last season and you never want to see that to happen to anyone. I guess that solves the problem of who goes down when Belisle comes up Monday.

You're right. But it doesn't solve the problem of who goes down to make room for Bray. There is no reason for him to be in Louisville right now, they still need to think about a Coffey for Bray switch perhaps. Hope Weathers is okay...

HumnHilghtFreel
04-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Per Roto

David Weathers left Saturday's game in the 10th inning with an apparent elbow injury.
It didn't look good. Weathers clearly felt something in his elbow go while delivering a pitch that ended up well wide of home plate, and he signaled for the trainer immediately. Expect him to spend some time on the DL. Jared Burton will take over as the primary setup man, and Bill Bray could be recalled to help out.

WMR
04-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Could that have been Weathers last pitch thrown as a professional in a MLB game?

mth123
04-19-2008, 05:28 PM
I posted this in the Belisle thread:

I wonder how long Weathers has had elbow issues. His K Rate took a huge drop in the middle of 2007 and hasn't rebounded. I'd bet the daily use in the first half of 2007 took its toll. Another parting gift courtesy of Jerry Narron and the horrible collection of cast-offs that WK assembled as a pen in 2007??
It could be nothing I guess, but it looks bad when a guy like Weathers chooses to come out of the game.

Reds Freak
04-19-2008, 05:41 PM
I forgot to mention it was absolutely shameful for Weathers to get booed as he left the mound after getting injured. Perhaps the fans (?) didn't realize he was leaving because of the injury, but nonetheless it was ridiculous and embarassing.

paintmered
04-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Weathers due for an MRI in 15 minutes per FSN postgame.

cincrazy
04-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Yeah, classless of the crowd to boo him. That was ignorant, and it was embarrassing as you said. Clearly something was wrong. From the way it looked, his fingers were numb, so perhaps some kind of nerve injury in the elbow? That may have been the last pitch Weathers will throw as a member of the Reds bullpen.

If so, thanks for the service Stormy.

BCubb2003
04-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Weathers has been pitching on willpower for the last two seasons, and the elbow finally officially gave out.

lollipopcurve
04-19-2008, 06:04 PM
it was absolutely shameful for Weathers to get booed as he left the mound after getting injured. Perhaps the fans (?) didn't realize he was leaving because of the injury, but nonetheless it was ridiculous and embarassing.

The fan culture around the Reds is awful. I don't know why, but I have my suspicions. Franchester Brennaman has sown the seeds of negativity on a daily basis for years, and I think he, like the average guy who grew up with the BRM, feels a sense of entitlement, as if after watching a great team for years (and a solid team for years after that), it is now a personal affront for the hometown team to struggle. I can only imagine the toxicity that is visited on the fanbase, and on to the franchise, via the sulphurous daily eructation that is sportstalk radio. Combined with the extended national joke that was made of the Bengals, the mediocrity that has saddled the Reds has also saddled them with a disaffected, unappreciative place to play. I wish my hometown would wake up and realize it needs major league baseball a whole lot more than major league baseball needs it.

WVRedsFan
04-19-2008, 06:17 PM
The fan culture around the Reds is awful. I don't know why, but I have my suspicions. Franchester Brennaman has sown the seeds of negativity on a daily basis for years, and I think he, like the average guy who grew up with the BRM, feels a sense of entitlement, as if after watching a great team for years (and a solid team for years after that), it is now a personal affront for the hometown team to struggle.

I listened to the first six innings on radio today since I was in the car. The seeds of negativity were nowhere to be found. I must admit, it's hard to be positive when your team just doesn't make any sense, though. After seven going on eight years of not just losing but losing bad, and living with it 162 games a year, you just might get a little negative if you are human. If fans wanted to see a loser all the time, they might just let MLB move the team. Isn't the object of the game to win?

I had no idea that Weathers was hurt and having been at the ballpark many times, that sometimes is the case. All the fans knew was that Weathers allowed a hit that had probably doomed their team for the 7th time in 8 games after marvelous pitching from Cueto, Cordero, and others. I admit that I had returned home by the end and was watching and when Dusty came out (I missed him motioning to the dugout which many people probably did), and I immediately thought that Dusty must really be hacked off to pull a pitcher in the middle of a batter. It wasn't until Burton stuck the batter out than I knew he was injured.

IslandRed
04-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Has his velocity been noticeably down? Often, in retrospect, these injuries aren't quite as "all of a sudden" as they seem.

It's a shame, though. Weathers has pitched his guts out for this team the last few years. Hope this injury is nothing serious.

Caveat Emperor
04-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Could that have been Weathers last pitch thrown as a professional in a MLB game?

I certainly hope it isn't.

For the better part of 2 years, David Weathers has been the relief-equivalent of Atlus -- bearing the entire weight of the Reds pitching staff on his shoulders. For two years, he was the only person coming out of the bullpen that didn't make me cringe on a nightly basis. He didn't have "closer stuff," but he always seemed able to throw the big pitch at the right time. He could make a Doc Brown 88 MPH fastball look electric in the bottom of the ninth.

He's been a warrior and I, for one, would be sad to see him go.

smith288
04-19-2008, 06:59 PM
is it possible they were booing the top notch umpiring?

HumnHilghtFreel
04-19-2008, 07:00 PM

For the better part of 2 years, David Weathers has been the relief-equivalent of Atlus -- bearing the entire weight of the Reds pitching staff on his shoulders. For two years, he was the only person coming out of the bullpen that didn't make me cringe on a nightly basis. He didn't have "closer stuff," but he always seemed able to throw the big pitch at the right time. He could make a Doc Brown 88 MPH fastball look electric in the bottom of the ninth.

I agree that he's been great for us all things considered and I appreciate that. It's also sad that this could be the way his career ends possibly. But I'm also kind of glad to see that this is going to open up a spot for one of the younger guys to step up.

flyer85
04-19-2008, 07:00 PM
I was there today and it had become rather obvious something was wrong(since the start of the season). He velocity has been down and he was either afraid to throw it over the plate or just plain couldn't.

reds44
04-19-2008, 07:03 PM
I agree that he's been great for us all things considered and I appreciate that. It's also sad that this could be the way his career ends possibly. But I'm also kind of glad to see that this is going to open up a spot for one of the younger guys to step up.
Definatley. Everyone has been waiting and waiting for Weathers to hit his wall, and never really appreciated what he did. Without him last year, we probably don't win 70 games. In 2006, he was the savior in the bullpen and kept us in the race. I think his age, along with Narron's abuse of him last year with his multi-inning saves finall caught up to him.

If that was indeed his last pitch, he deserves a big thank you from every Reds fan. Again, if it was his last outing, best of luck to him at whatever he goes on to do with his life.

Caveat Emperor
04-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Again, if it was his last outing, best of luck to him at whatever he goes on to do with his life.

He's the kind of guy I like to see the club hang on to, even after his playing days are done. He was a survivor and a competitor -- has experience both as a starter and as a reliever -- who could be of great value to younger pitchers moving through the system.

If he wants to remain in the game, I'd find a way to get him involved in my system as an instructor or a coach somewhere.

WVRedsFan
04-19-2008, 07:14 PM
I think we're probably assuming the worst here. It might not be as bad as we think. I imagine he'll spend some time on the DL and come back. Of course there's always the possibility he's out for awhile or for the season, but I'll wait to post my obituary when I hear the results of the MRI.

That said, I agree with everyone. He's been a trooper the last two seasons. Hope he's OK.

mth123
04-19-2008, 07:15 PM
I've been outspoken in my criticism of Weathers, but it isn't so much about Weathers as it is the Reds placing so much in his basket by surrounding him with the likes of Saarloos, Stanton, Majewski, etc. I too will honestly be sad if his Reds' career ended today.

The Cordero signing was a step in the right direction, but even if Weathers is healthy and can come back, a changing of the guard is still in order. It may be time to use some one else as the 8th inning hammer. I vote Mike Lincoln for now with Burton and Bray both getting a shot to earn some chance there (though I'm skeptical of both). I'd also try to speed Josh Roenicke along. I think Weathers should assume the multi-inning "keep the game close" role if he can come back.

RedFanAlways1966
04-19-2008, 07:35 PM

Always nice when Daddy's name helps get you employment. Happens in a lot of places in our world, but we do not see it that often in MLB umpiring. I have always thought Hunter Wendelstedt is bad as an umpire. When I heard he was behind the plate today, I thought, "Oh no." Especially with young Cueto pitching. I applaud Bako for standing up to a crappy umpire and taking one for the team, for Cueto and for all MLB players who have to deal with the crappy umpiring of Hunter-boy.

Remember the below story from last year? I am sure a guy making his MLB debut and losing by one run in the 5th is going to purposely hit batters with pitches... Hunter-boy thought so.

The Washington Nationals, decimated by starting injuries to their pitching staff, purchased John Lannan's contract on July 26, 2007, for Lannan to start against the Philadelphia Phillies. In his debut, behind 3-2 with one out in the fifth inning, Lannan hit Chase Utley with a fastball (breaking Utley's hand) and then hit Ryan Howard on the next pitch, whereupon umpire Hunter Wendelstedt immediately ejected Lannan from the game; Lannan was the first Major Leaguer in a decade to be tossed from his debut.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070726&content_id=2110881&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

BTW the last ejection in ML debut before Lannan... Reds infielder Aaron Boone in 1997.

Big Klu
04-19-2008, 08:19 PM

Always nice when Daddy's name helps get you employment. Happens in a lot of places in our world, but we do not see it that often in MLB umpiring. I have always thought Hunter Wendelstedt is bad as an umpire. When I heard he was behind the plate today, I thought, "Oh no." Especially with young Cueto pitching. I applaud Bako for standing up to a crappy umpire and taking one for the team, for Cueto and for all MLB players who have to deal with the crappy umpiring of Hunter-boy.

Remember the below story from last year? I am sure a guy making his MLB debut and losing by one run in the 5th is going to purposely hit batters with pitches... Hunter-boy thought so.

The Washington Nationals, decimated by starting injuries to their pitching staff, purchased John Lannan's contract on July 26, 2007, for Lannan to start against the Philadelphia Phillies. In his debut, behind 3-2 with one out in the fifth inning, Lannan hit Chase Utley with a fastball (breaking Utley's hand) and then hit Ryan Howard on the next pitch, whereupon umpire Hunter Wendelstedt immediately ejected Lannan from the game; Lannan was the first Major Leaguer in a decade to be tossed from his debut.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070726&content_id=2110881&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

BTW the last ejection in ML debut before Lannan... Reds infielder Aaron Boone in 1997.

I agree that Hunter Wendelstedt is horrible as an umpire. I always thought his dad did a good job--I guess sometimes the apple does fall far from the tree.

However, he did do something that you rarely see in baseball--he managed to p*** off four people from two different teams in the same inning--Paul Bako, Dusty Baker, Prince Fielder, and Cory Hart.

I liked Prince Fielder's reaction to the "ball" call that eventually got Bako tossed--he just stood away from the plate and allowed Bako to have his say with Hunter, while grinning with a "Wow, I got away with one there, and now this sap is gonna get rung up because of it!" look on his face. Then, when he got called out on strikes on a pitch that wasn't nearly as good as the one that had been called a ball, he turned around and had a few words for Hunter. I imagine he said something like, "Hell, that wasn't as good as the one you ran Bako outta here for!" :D

I hope David Weathers will be OK, but it didn't look good. But I'm not ready to write him off just yet--he's tough.

Always Red
04-19-2008, 08:37 PM
I agree that Hunter Wendelstedt is horrible as an umpire. I always thought his dad did a good job--I guess sometimes the apple does fall far from the tree.

However, he did do something that you rarely see in baseball--he managed to p*** off four people from two different teams in the same inning--Paul Bako, Dusty Baker, Prince Fielder, and Cory Hart.

I liked Price Fielder's reaction to the "ball" call that eventually got Bako tossed--he just stood away from the plate and allowed Bako to have his say with Hunter, while grinning with a "Wow, I got away with one there, and now this sap is gonna get rung up because of it!" look on his face. Then, when he got called out on strikes on a pitch that wasn't nearly as good as the one that had been called a ball, he turned around and had a few words for Hunter. I imagine he said something like, "Hell, that wasn't as good as the one you ran Bako outta here for!" :D

I hope David Weathers will be OK, but it didn't look good. But I'm not ready to write him off just yet--he's tough.

Big Klu- great post and I agree with everything you say. :beerme:

Fielder was nearly doubled over laughing. I was yelling to my wife that Hunter was going to run guys from each team that inning when Hart stood there and argued the ball (I mean strike ;)).

Hunter Wendelstedt is a walking, talking advertisement for QuesTec. :eek:

Dave Weathers is a warrior; not the most talented guy, but I have grown to admire his tenaciousness. Without him, I think this team loses nearly 5-6 more games a year the last 2 years. I wish him all the best, and hope he is not hurt badly.

Dave Weathers is also a stand up guy:

Reds reliever David Weathers left the game in the top of the 10th inning with a full count on Gabe Kapler. Immediately after his last pitch, Weathers signaled for manager Dusty Baker to come to the mound. "I threw the pitch and you know when something's not right. When you've pitched as long as I have you know when you make a pitch and feel something in your arm, a little burning sensation, or a lot of a burning situation, you don't want to push it. We'll see what it is later this afternoon. Before that pitch, I felt fine and I don’t have any excuses." Weathers gave up a two-run double to Bill Hall in the 10th. "Once again I had control problems, which I've had all year, and I’ve got to figure them out," Weathers said.

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2008/04/19/reds_killer_strikes_again

Chip R
04-19-2008, 09:55 PM
How big does that Cordero signing look now?

Reds Fanatic
04-19-2008, 09:59 PM
According to Fay the MRI was normal and Weathers is day to day.

jojo
04-19-2008, 10:02 PM
How big does that Cordero signing look now?

Basically all the signing did was replace Weathers' production from last year. It should've been fairly obvious that Weathers shouldn't be a counted upon as a high leverage guy this season. Weathers' issues this year don't change much IMHO.

VR
04-19-2008, 10:39 PM

I think you nailed this.

As a middle reliever...he's gold for this team.

OnBaseMachine
04-19-2008, 10:48 PM

I want a second opinion. ;)

Hopefully the Reds cut bait with Weathers before long. Dude is absolutely killing this team right now. It's plain to see that he has nothing left in the tank. He's having trouble throwing strikes and when he does he's getting crushed. He's lost two games to the Brewers in less than 10 days.

wheels
04-19-2008, 10:50 PM
C'mon...A guy doesn't just walk off the mound like that.

I have hard time believing the MRI didn't show anything.

cumberlandreds
04-19-2008, 11:23 PM

That's good to hear. I have really grown to like Weathers. He a tough SOB out on that mound. He's one of the few pitchers the Reds have that isn't afraid to knock a guy off the plate.

Tommyjohn25
04-19-2008, 11:25 PM
That's good to hear. I really grown to like Weathers. He a tough SOB out on that mound. He's one of the few pitchers the Reds have that isn't afraid to knock a guy off the plate.

I second this. Good post.

Chip R
04-19-2008, 11:29 PM

It may not show everything.

OnBaseMachine
04-19-2008, 11:31 PM
I read in the post game report that Weathers felt tingling in his right arm. That doesn't sound like everything is fine. His velocity is down, he can't find the plate, sounds to me like an arm injury.

REDREAD
04-20-2008, 12:15 AM
The fan culture around the Reds is awful. I don't know why, but I have my suspicions. Franchester Brennaman has sown the seeds of negativity on a daily basis for years, .

I was sad to overhear some "mini-Marties" in the cafeteria at work saying how horrible Dunn and EdE were, and if the Reds somehow got rid of them, the team would be much better.. along with some very other obvious parroting of Marty.

Maybe someone that goes to games regularly can chime in, but it seems that it is now a fad to boo a relief pitcher every time they have a bad outing or when they are on the "hit list".. like Coffey. He was pretty much booed in every appearance he made last year, correct?

REDREAD
04-20-2008, 12:19 AM
I listened to the first six innings on radio today since I was in the car. The seeds of negativity were nowhere to be found. I must admit, it's hard to be positive when your team just doesn't make any sense, though. After seven going on eight years of not just losing but losing bad, and living with it 162 games a year, you just might get a little negative if you are human. If fans wanted to see a loser all the time, they might just let MLB move the team. Isn't the object of the game to win?

I was doing other stuff while the game was on. Marty and Brantely love Ceuto (for now at least). But they did complain about the offense a lot.
I can't remember specifics. Marty did have a cow, and yelled at Weathers for not coming inside to Bill Hall, despite the fact it was obvious Weathers was staying away to avoid the HR and was basically trying to pitch around Hall.

Marty whines about Dunn and EdE just about every time they come up.

Brantley made a sarcastic remark about Jr "He might've caught that 5 years ago, but not anymore"..

Today was a relatively tame day, since they love Ceuto for now.

Chip R
04-20-2008, 12:22 AM
I don't think Marty or Brantly would condone booing a Reds pitcher off the mound no matter how bad he fared.

But I do think they may unintentionally encourage it.

REDREAD
04-20-2008, 12:23 AM

It's Doc Hollywood's stock answer.. just like Kearns' "blister", etc.

Nothing is ever serious initially. :lol:

WVRedsFan
04-20-2008, 12:26 AM
RR:

Did you or anyone else catch Marty yelling at apparently a co-worker at maybe the first commercial break at the half inning. XM apparently didn't turn the mics off or something and didn't go immediately to commercial. Marty was telling someone, "Don't you ever challenge me on that," I think. He was not in a good mood. Maybe Matt heard it.

Anyway, after these seven pllus years of losing, a lot of folks are negative and the fine pitching by Cueto is something to love. I don't expect him to forever be as good as he was in start 1 and today, but he's going to be a keeper.

Chip R
04-20-2008, 12:32 AM
RR:

Did you or anyone else catch Marty yelling at apparently a co-worker at maybe the first commercial break at the half inning. XM apparently didn't turn the mics off or something and didn't go immediately to commercial. Marty was telling someone, "Don't you ever challenge me on that," I think. He was not in a good mood. Maybe Matt heard it.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67376

PuffyPig
04-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Hopefully the Reds cut bait with Weathers before long. Dude is absolutely killing this team right now. It's plain to see that he has nothing left in the tank. He's having trouble throwing strikes and when he does he's getting crushed. He's lost two games to the Brewers in less than 10 days.

OBM, I agree that Weathers looks bad now, but he's looked worse than this before and managed to rally.

Now,it may be his time, but he's only missing by a bit with his control. He may yet figure it out.

I also can't believe he doesn't have an injury of some kind.

Red Heeler
04-20-2008, 12:07 PM
It may not show everything.

You are right. A MRI is a very specific, but not very sensitive diagnostic tool. That means that if you see something on the MRI, then you can trust that there is a problem. However, if you don't see something on an MRI, a problem may still exist.

boognish
04-20-2008, 12:51 PM
He's the kind of guy I like to see the club hang on to, even after his playing days are done. He was a survivor and a competitor -- has experience both as a starter and as a reliever -- who could be of great value to younger pitchers moving through the system.

If he wants to remain in the game, I'd find a way to get him involved in my system as an instructor or a coach somewhere.

CE has had two exceptional posts in this thread. David Weathers gives everything he has and is an exemplary competitor. I hope he still has something in the tank and can contribute down the line this season...remember his most recent DL stint was also an elbow issue, complete with the symptom of numbness and tingling in the fingers he experienced today. I sincerely hope it isn't serious, and I also wanted to chime in that while it was risky, I still have no problem with WK giving him a two-year contract as a reward for his solid production with the team.