PDA

View Full Version : Will Castellini "fire" himself...

Wheelhouse
04-20-2008, 06:36 AM
...if the Reds don't win this year? This is what he said at a press conference. Who knows whether the timetable for that would be this year or next, but what does that mean? Will he sell the team? Will he get another CEO (or whatever his title is) but keep ownership? It's funny, C. Trent made a comment, "stay classy Cincinnati" when Weathers was booed coming off with an injury. I don't approve of booing him, but I understand it. We're expected to be understanding of a group of professional athletes who never win a game of any meaning, and seem to constantly buckle. We're coming up on eight years of losing baseball if they don't turn it around this year. In addition, time and time again, many players (excluding Brandon Phillips) are critical of and say they do not care about the fans--they play for "the other 24 guys in this clubhouse." So why should we be so sensitive to them? There are many arguments on the board about a statistical vs. empirical view of the game, and sadly, those arguments have most often been employed as a means of describing why the team is so bad. I think the Reds have a lot of talent this year, but I still have suspicions about whether there is something toxic in the running of the big club. Yes it's early, but it is very frustrating when the Reds have the best pitching they've had in years, and one thinks the only way they can screw it up is if this highly thought-of offense utterly tanks--and thats what they go right out and do. They find a way to lose. I hope I'm wrong. And if I'm not, I hope Castellini can find a way to right the ship, even if it means his own head.

icehole3
04-20-2008, 06:48 AM
I believe B Cast was kidding, he's allowed to do that since he's majority owner.

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Eyes/uh-oh.gif

George Anderson
04-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Like I mentioned in another thread, while so far this season is disapointing its not like we have Calvin Griffith or "The Chicage Tribune" as owners. BC wants a winner and will do everything in his power to do so. It's just a matter of when.

cumberlandreds
04-20-2008, 10:05 AM
IMO,the Reds are heading in the right direction under Castellini. That's more than I can say about the previous ownership.

Tommyjohn25
04-20-2008, 10:20 AM
There may a laundry list of 10,000 things wrong with this franchise. Bob Castellini ain't one of 'em.

Unassisted
04-20-2008, 11:05 AM
The previous majority owner had trouble seeing beyond the balance sheet to determine a "winning" performance. It's nice to have one that reads the baseball standings, too. I don't wish for Castellini to be looking in the mirror when the time comes to fire someone for not putting a winner on the field.