PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas has been released

OldXOhio
04-20-2008, 11:06 AM
just reported by ESPN

no link yet

oneupper
04-20-2008, 11:08 AM
If he could still play 1B, I'd go after him.

Unassisted
04-20-2008, 11:08 AM
That was quick. Just yesterday, there was this article (http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080419&content_id=2552467&vkey=news_tor&fext=.jsp&c_id=tor) discussing how disappointed Thomas was to have been benched.

redsfan30
04-20-2008, 11:10 AM
That is some big time right handed power that this team so badly needs......IF he could still play 1st base.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-20-2008, 11:11 AM
If he could still play 1B, I'd go after him.

Taking a quick look, he hasn't played a game in the field since 2004, and it was only 4 games that year. He's AL bound, whoever picks him up.

Cyclone792
04-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Boy, if he's willing to sign as a bat off the bench with a very occasional start at first base ...

*BaseClogger*
04-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Time to cut from fantasy team...

OldXOhio
04-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Boy, if he's willing to sign as a bat off the bench with a very occasional start at first base ...

I'd think if he were willing to accept that role, he'd have never been cut by TOR in the first place.

redsfan30
04-20-2008, 11:15 AM

Unfortunetly, if he were willing to do that, he'd probably still be in Toronto.

*BaseClogger*
04-20-2008, 11:16 AM
There are plently of teams in the AL that need this guy's offense...

blumj
04-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Oh, man, I can't even imagine how ugly even an occasional start in the field would be at this point. He's about as mobile as my 84 year old father.

jojo
04-20-2008, 11:18 AM
One of my all time favorite hitters.

Cyclone792
04-20-2008, 11:20 AM
I'd think if he were willing to accept that role, he'd have never been cut by TOR in the first place.

Unfortunetly, if he were willing to do that, he'd probably still be in Toronto.

Thomas was mad at the Jays for cutting down his playing time since he thought they were doing so to prevent his option from kicking in. Wait until he's unemployed for a bit and see if there's no takers to give him a starting DH job. If there aren't any, then he may open up to a bench role with a very occasional (and I mean very occasional) start at first base.

The chances of it happening are very slim, but it's an avenue I'd look into if I were the Reds.

BCubb2003
04-20-2008, 11:21 AM
If another team picks him up, do they have to pay the $10 million bump in his contract if he gets a certain number of plate appearances? Or does getting released create a clean slate?

blumj
04-20-2008, 11:23 AM
One of my all time favorite hitters.

Your other team should sign him yesterday.

Cyclone792
04-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Oh, man, I can't even imagine how ugly even an occasional start in the field would be at this point. He's about as mobile as my 84 year old father.

Ween him in during late innings of blow out games to get a quick look. Those are the types of games where if he boots a ball or three, it won't matter anyway. If it truly is miserable, end the experiment there.

BTW, I'm looking at the schedule and the Reds have nine straight AL road games in mid to late June. That could be a nice stretch of games to have a guy like Thomas around to start as the team's DH.

mth123
04-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Your other team should sign him yesterday.

No Kidding. Seattle could use him. Wonder if Toronto needs Hatte now.

Unassisted
04-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Here's your link.

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=234740&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

The Frank Thomas era in Toronto has come to an end.

The 39-year old designed hitter has been released by the Blue Jays, one day after being benched as the teams' starting designated hitter.

Thomas was batting .167 in 16 games, with three homers and 11 RBI this season.

When told of his benching yesterday, the Big Hurt said it was an attempt by the club to limit his at bats in order to make sure he didn't get the 304 plate appearances required to guarantee his $10-million option for next season.

The vesting option was part of the $18.12-million, two-year deal he signed with the Blue Jays in November 2006.

On Saturday, general manager J.P. Ricciardi denied that Thomas' contract factored into the decision to bench the 19-year veteran.

"I think the decision is the manager's based on what he thinks is best for the team," said Ricciardi. "As a team we're struggling offensively and I just think Gibby is trying to spark our offence a little bit.

"A lot of guys are struggling, I don't think (Thomas) is alone. I think at this point you try and do what you can do to help the club and Gibby's trying to put our best possible lineup on the field."

With Thomas being released, the Jays could recall prospect Adam Lind, who is currently hitting .360 with 3 home runs in 14 games at Triple-A.

Thomas has 516 homers and a lifetime batting average of .302 during a career that will likely land him in the Hall of Fame.

Red in Chicago
04-20-2008, 11:31 AM
I have always loved the Big Hurt. I even got to meet him once in a Blockbuster Video store. He was very nice to me. I wish him well and hope he can get his career back on track. A certain Hall of Famer, in my mind. :beerme:

boognish
04-20-2008, 11:36 AM
I have always loved the Big Hurt. I even got to meet him once in a Blockbuster Video store. He was very nice to me. I wish him well and hope he can get his career back on track. A certain Hall of Famer, in my mind. :beerme:

First ballot, as far as I am concerned. One of the greatest hitters from any side of the plate in this era, and likely THE best right-handed hitter.

Thomas also enjoys the "Griffey exemption," as in the spectre of PED questions is non-existent with him. The type of veteran I'd love to see the Reds get creative and sign is someone like Thomas, not someone like Fogg.

Matt700wlw
04-20-2008, 11:38 AM
He'd definitely put butts in the seats...and he and Griffey could put on a show

Red in Chicago
04-20-2008, 11:49 AM
He'd definitely put butts in the seats...and he and Griffey could put on a show

As much as I'd like to see Thomas in a Reds uni, I think I'd rather sign Piazza if something could be worked out. Either way, with the correct type of contract, I think either one could help the team in a positive way.

Rojo
04-20-2008, 04:11 PM
I always rooted for him for a stupid reason: he's exactly one day younger than I am. The closest to my age of any ballplayer. Stay young, Frank.

Jpup
04-20-2008, 05:03 PM
The Reds have nowhere to play him. I wouldn't be surprised is he went back to Oakland or even Tampa. Barry Bonds is still out there and he's still much better for a DH spot than Frank, but he would cost a lot more.

KronoRed
04-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Like Piazza, we don't have the DH so no thanks.

blumj
04-20-2008, 07:33 PM
It's so obvious, even Steve Phillips said Seattle first when he was asked where Frank Thomas should wind up.

jojo
04-20-2008, 07:42 PM
It's so obvious, even Steve Phillips said Seattle first when he was asked where Frank Thomas should wind up.

Actually it's not that obvious concerning Seattle. Safeco kills righties and their lineup is already righty-heavy. The fact that Phillips thinks it's so obvious really should be cause for pause... :cool:

blumj
04-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Actually it's not that obvious concerning Seattle. Safeco kills righties and their lineup is already righty-heavy. The fact that Phillips thinks it's so obvious really should be cause for pause... :cool:
You do have a point. If Steve Phillips says it, it almost has to be wrong. Still, someone's got to be able to use him at DH.

Sea Ray
04-20-2008, 08:51 PM
The Oakland A's announcers were discussing Frank during today's game and they know him well. They considered it a moot point that Thomas is only an option as a DH these days. They said because of that his options were limited to the AL.

His role here would be very limited--that of a RH pinch hitter--and I don't think that'd be a role he'd do well in.

No thanks

RedFanAlways1966
04-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Blue Jays general manger J.P. Ricciardi called Thomas to an early-morning meeting to discuss management's decision to bench him and hand the primary DH duties to Matt Stairs. The GM said he had hoped to talk to Thomas after Saturday's game, but Thomas left quickly. Thomas was not seen on the bench during the game and did not join his victorious teammates for handshakes on the field afterward. Before Saturday's game, Thomas called his benching "bull--."

I am surprised that this has not been mentioned. Not on the bench during the game? Not shaking your teammates hands? Keep this attitude far-far away from my fav team.

Heath
04-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Hello, Tampa Bay.

smith288
04-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Loved Frank Thomas growing up as a moderate White Sox fan. Only because of their new cool black uni's and Frank Thomas who I pinned as a HOF simply because of his Auburn Topps card where he was kneeling and still as tall as the baserunner.

It has soured recently as GMs have started to complain of an attitude of me-me-me. Still like him for his skills but not so much as a person.

I would only be excited to pick him up for nostalgia...then the realization that a possible 40 yr old cancer would be residing on our bench fuming for not taking Votto's spot or something stupid like that.

Unassisted
04-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Frank Thomas has signed with Oakland.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3365079

Thomas, released by Blue Jays, returns to Oakland — OAKLAND, Calif. — The Big Hurt is coming back to the Bay Area. — The Oakland Athletics agreed to terms with designated hitter Frank Thomas, who was released Sunday by the Toronto Blue Jays to become a free agent after becoming disgruntled about his playing time.

RedFanAlways1966
04-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Frank Thomas has signed with Oakland.

Cool. About 2,020 miles away from the REDS team and GABP. Far far away from my favorite team. Frank, his attitude and non-glove ways are best served somewhere else.

westofyou
08-23-2008, 01:55 PM
DH says losing teams have more strikes called

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/23/SPTO12GNDJ.DTL&type=printable

Frank Thomas said he has seen this many times before, and considering that he's been in the league 18 years, he probably knows of what he speaks.

Thomas said that as the season draws near an end and two non-contending teams are playing, umpires often start calling more strikes. That's one of the things that's happening to him lately, as the A's DH has gone hitless in 23 consecutive at-bats.

"That's just the way it is," Thomas said. "Right now, with two teams out of it, it's all about pace of game, so they call a lot of first-pitch strikes so everyone starts swinging the bat. It's a frustrating way to hit."

In the first game of the series, home-plate umpire Bill Hohn called first-pitch strikes on Thomas in each of his three at-bats. After the third, Thomas backed away and began complaining, and Hohn tossed him out.

"Enough is enough," Thomas said before Friday's game. "If I'm not patient, I'm not doing my job. If they continue to do that purposely, I don't have time for that. But that's the way it's going to be the rest of the season, I've seen it happen before."

Thomas knows he might be looking for another job next year if the A's decide to look for a younger impact bat in the offseason. He had hoped to finish on an up note after missing more than two months with a severe quadriceps injury. Instead, he's got the longest hitless streak of his career, and his average stands at .227.

"I was trying to finish the year strong and instead I'm basically spinning my wheels," Thomas said. "It's tough - I want to make things happen. I'm not here just to be here. If I didn't care, I'd just drag the bat up there and then drag it back to the dugout."

I agree with him, watch the Reds when they play teams out of it, add in their hacking ability and let's see if they can get a game in less than 2 hours.